5.0 out of 5 stars DMX- Year of the Dog...Again
Published on August 1, 2006 by Done

2.0 out of 5 stars You all are wrong
All of those people that gave this cd 4 or 5 stars must not have heard either of his 1st 3 cd's. Everything after and then there was x was a poor attempt to make some money. His 1st 3 cd's all were good. This cd does have some good songs, but overall, I am once again, disappointed by dmx's attempt to make good music after and then there was x. It shows in his record sales.
Published on August 6, 2006 by chris lopiano

5.0 out of 5 stars DMX- Year of the Dog...Again, August 1, 2006
This review is from: Year of the Dog...Again (Audio CD)
After a three-year hiatus DMX (Earl Simmons) returns with "Year of the Dog...Again" (2006). At thirty-six years old, Yonker's DMX is an established veteran in the Rap game delivering his sixth solo album. As X likes to remind his listeners the previous five (It's Dark and Hell Is Hot - Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood- And Then There Was X - The Great Depression - Grand Champ) went platinum/multi platinum, and I have no doubt this one will to. In the last couple of years DMX has been fighting some battles, whether it be with the law, record companies, or other issues. Being a long time fan I am really happy to see him back making music again. After the short intro DMX and long time collaborator producer Swizz Beatz deliver a fast paced banger with "We In Here", X rhymes with hunger and pride while repping himself and talking about the state of the game. DMX then provides "I Run S***" letting it be known that he's back and not going anywhere, Bloodline's Big Stan makes a brief appearance. With "Come Thru" (Move) X and Busta Rhymes deliver another track to blast in the whip. DMX's Ruff Ryders brethren Jadakiss and Styles P of the Lox drop in for "It's Personal", all three come on point delivering raw thugged out lyrics. X then flips the script providing a different kind of track with "Baby Motha", rhyming about relationships, loving X's own chorus to this one. "Dog Love" is a joint strictly for the ladies, R & B singers Janyce & Amerie collab with X on a laidback cut. X gives Bloodlines Rock act Bazaar Royale a chance to make an impression on "Wrong or Right" (I'm Tired) - I am not really impressed. The only other track I feel the same way about on this release is "Walk These Dogs" feat. Kashmir, just not feeling it. DMX delivers another quality banger with the single "Give Em' What They Want" rhyming over some blazing Scott Scorch production. My favorite track on this release at the moment is "Blown Away" an exceptional cut where DMX shines while taking his listeners through his early life, singer Janyce deliver smooth background vocals and MC Jinx makes a late appearance. A reflective DMX rhymes and sings on the outstanding "Goodbye" reminding his audience that any day can be our last, while remembering friends who died to young. X continues the introspective journey and provides another excellent cut with "Life Be My Song" - sometimes our worst enemy can be ourselves, DMX's lyrics and chorus are hard hitting and relate to many people on some level. For every album DMX had done he has made a prayer, he keeps the tradition going with "The Prayer VI", and follows it up with the single "Lord Give Me A Sign", loved this cut since the first day I heard it a few months ago, X delivers memorable lyrics and an outstanding chorus while talking to God. X keep his album diverse ranging from cuts to blast in the ride, to deep introspective joints that make you think. DMX delivers another quality album with "Year of the Dog...Again" this a release I highly recommend adding to the collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DMX album, August 1, 2006
This review is from: Year of the Dog...Again (Audio CD)
This is for sure going to go down as a modern day classic. After DMX's long hiatus from rap, he comes back with this. It sounds like DMX from 1998 when he was original and made music that everyone loved. This album has the same feel as his first album, and the great songs that he made throughout his career. I keep saying, this is the year for rap. This is one of the many great albums that have come out this year, and watch out for many more classics like this one from some rap vets to give you great musical entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's About time, August 1, 2006
This review is from: Year of the Dog...Again (Audio CD)
I am so glad that this came out. Rap has been in such a poor state for the last couple of years, and now this drops. Its nice to know that you can always count on a all time great like DMX to make a comeback. He had so many great songs and CDs before this, and now he comes back and shows us that rap is not dead yet. There may be a couple minor problems with this, but there is not a weak song on the entire album, and there are a good number of clssics. The ranking of the songs (1-10) go from 7 to 10, and 7 is still a really good song. So a CD whos worst song is still really good, and has at least 5 classics on it has to get a 5 star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop listening..., August 1, 2006
This review is from: Year of the Dog...Again (Audio CD)
Listen to this! It is like the old DMX! He is so hard core, and his delivery is fierce. Just pay the money and get this, it is worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best DMX CD, August 1, 2006
This review is from: Year of the Dog...Again (Audio CD)
This is even better than his debut! Even though we were without DMX for a couple years, he has made up for lost time really fast by releasing a classic. You've got to love the songs on this, because they sound so vintage, but also manage to show that DMX has matured as an artist. Get this CD asap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Year of the Dog Again is a Great Album Again., August 1, 2006
This review is from: Year of the Dog...Again (Audio CD)
This album is vintage DMX, if you tired of trashy, godawful hip-hop that has been ruining the american public, then this is the one for you, X Delivers one of the year's best performances in this one, Lord give me a sign is a great song and the rest of the songs are all good, Thank God for DMX, Cause he doesn't like the way rap is now and I Don't blame him, it is full of corruption, stupidity and ignorance, it's a shame to see him like this with his drug problem and other historical crimes, otherwise this is one of the best albums of 2006 and I Hope I Buy it again very soon.

A Big Thumbs Up for Me.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is Vintage DMX, August 1, 2006
This review is from: Year of the Dog...Again (Audio CD)
I feared the worst, ever since i heard the "leaked" copy of Here We go again, i was not impressed, then he left Def Jam, and everything seemed bleek for him.

I will not lie im a big DMX fan, and im most pleased to see him return as he really is, a street dog, after hearing this albumb for the first time i couldnt help but feel a deja vu from is dark and hell is hot, this album is vintage DMX.

4.0 out of 5 stars "I'ma Go Hard Whether I'm Right or Wrong", August 30, 2006
This review is from: Year of the Dog...Again (Audio CD)
After claiming that he was retiring in 2003 after his last album "The Grand Champ", DMX is actually back with his new album "Year of the Dog...Again". This record was originally titled "Here We Go Again", but after months and months of being delayed and being pushed back, it got a new title and finally an official release date. To be honest, I knew his last album wasn't up to his standards but I was still very excited when I heard X was having a new album out. Despite there being a few tracks on here that's been out for quite a long time now, DMX doesn't disappoint with this one.

The first track, after the intro, is his latest single "We In Here". Produced by Swizz Beats, it sounds familiar to "Get It On The Floor" and some other X songs. It may get you out of your seat but the formula for this song is just getting repititive. "I Run S**t" is another fast-paced banger with X spitting tough rhymes. "Come Thru (Move)" with Busta Rhymes is pretty much just like "I Run S**T". The beat on this one though isn't that good in my opinion. "It's Personal" has been out for awhile but it's a good cut. All about bringing that heat. "Baby Motha" isn't a bad track but it's not one of my favorites. The chorus is just a bit annoying, even though the end is rather funny. "Dog Love" has X taking a break from all the thugged-out lyrics to deliver a joint for the females to listen to. I really like this one. I just love "Wrong or Right (I'm Tired)". It kind of has a rock beat to it, and the chorus is great. "Give Em What They Want" is a banger with Scott Storch production. This track is like a year old, but it's still fire. It could be a little longer though. "Walk These Dogs" is about the only track that I think is completely bad. It's rather old as well, and it would benefit from a lot of improvement.

"Blown Away" is one of the best tracks this release has to offer. I absolutely love the chorus. Darkman gives you a rundown of his life from childhood to present. The production and lyrics are all on point. "Goodbye" has X rapping about all the people he's lost and how you never know when it's your time to go. DMX sings an excellent chorus and the lyrics are superb. "Life Be My Song" is another highlight. DMX pretty much speaks the truth in this song. More good lyrics and another top-notch chorus. "Prayer VI" is another prayer skit where DMX talks to God. The final track, "Lord Give Me A Sign", is a good way to end the album. I heard this on my radio station the other day but I'm not sure if it's actually a single or not. Either which way, it's a nice song where X is asking God what he's got to do to make it.

The album seemed split in half. The first half had all kinds of thugged-out gangster tracks, and the second half had religious and thoughtful cuts. I prefer the second part, but there are a few tracks in the first half that are good as well. This isn't DMX's best release (It's Dark & Hell Is Hot holds that title), but it's better than his last effort, "Grand Champ" and it's much better than most junk being released nowadays. I know X has been in the news a lot recently but he still brought it on this album. I hope this album sells as well as his other albums. This won't disappoint old DMX fans and I recommend this to anyone who likes rap music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bonus dvd, August 1, 2006
This review is from: Year of the Dog...Again (Audio CD)
Being honest, I really didnt like the cd much at first but after listening to it a few times it has grown on me. Not quite "Its dark and hell is hot DMX" but the cd is closer to that than the past couple ones. My favorite song is not even on the cd; its on the bonus dvd. If anyone knows what the name of the song is or where to find it that would be great. He starts singing it right at 10mins into the dvd. For the chourus he says "I dont know, I dont know". For some reason I really liked that song and need help finding it so I can listen to it in my car. Thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another banger from X - 4.5 stars, August 1, 2006
This review is from: Year of the Dog...Again (Audio CD)
DMX is finally back with a new solo, his 6th, and it's been 3 years since his last one. Of his 6, this falls in the middle, another one worthy of 4.5 stars, the more I listen to it I wuish I'd have given it the 5 star rating, as it's closer to 5 then 4 (1 I'd give 5, 1 I 'd give 4, the rest get 4.5). With 14 songs, X gives you get 2 classics, 3 are ok, the rest are tight. Guests are on 6 songs rapping and do the hook on a few other so you don't get a great deal of the Dark Man but enough to satisfy you after a 3 year break. As with all his albums you get some tight gangsta songs, some very good deep songs, some for the ladies and some upbeat fight songs. Production is nice, as with all his albums. Swizz Beats does 4 songs, Dame Grease does 3, Scott Storch does 2, Tuneheads, Gutta Fam, Elite, Mr Devine, Chad Elliott all do 1 song. A great album for his fans to have and one of the better albums of 2006 so far.

#1 - 7.5 (short intro)
#2 - 9 (f/ Swizz Beats)
#3 - 8 (f/ Big Stan)
#4 - 6 (f/ Busta Rhymes & Swizz beats)
#5 - 10 (CLASSIC Gangsta song -- f/ Styles & Jadakiss -- tight beat)
#6 - 8 (f/ Janyce -- about baby mothaz)
#7 - 9 (f/ Amerie & janyce -- for the ladies but tight)
#8 - 7 (f/ Bazaar Royale -- over a great rock beat -- X's verse is worth a 10, but I ain't feelin Bazaar Royale at all)
#9 - 7.5
#10 - 8 (f/ Kashmir -- upbeat song)
#11 - 10 (CLASSIC! - f/ Jinx & Janye -- nice beat -- deep song)
#12 - 8.5 (another deep one)
#13 - 8 (one more deep song)
#15 - 9 (nice beat)

Earl Simmons -- b. 12/18/70 -- b. Baltimore, MD moved to Yonkers, NY
check all my reviews

Year of the Dog...Again
Year of the Dog...Again by DMX (Audio CD - 2006)