- File Size: 219 KB
- Print Length: 49 pages
- Publisher: RosettaBooks (October 1, 2011)
- Publication Date: October 1, 2011
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00COOQOX2
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Not Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #153,734 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
The Year of the Jackpot (The Galaxy Project Book 20) Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
More About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
The story is a simple one: The main character, a mathematician, is tracking all the bizarre happenings going on. Clearly this is The Crazy Years. He befriends a young woman and saves her from being arrested.
Written during the Cold War when the fear of Nuclear War was real. This is an end of the world story that just might leave you wondering if an editor or publisher made Heinlein change a date that he had figured out to one that was clearly "ridiculous".
For anyone who loves a good "end of world" story, fast paced dialog and amazing predicitions - check some of the fictional events in the book against today's headlines - keep in mind this was written in the 50's! You'll love the characters, relate to the events and the ending - well, read the book!
You can get a used copy for $5, shipping included.
That anthology contains "The Year of the Jackpot" and seven other stories. All of them are fairly good; some are exceptional.
One of those seven is "By His Bootstraps," which I think is Heinlein's best short story.
A very simple story of a girl who suddenly feels the impulse to strip down (we are in the 50s, remember!!!) and Potiphare Breen explanation why.
Quick to read though,
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Excellent story for its time period.
Actually, I vaguely recall reading it many years ago during my youth. Read more
I had never heard of this short story before. Heinlein's writing greatly influenced my teenage years. I think all voters should read him.Published 26 days ago by Mark Busby
An unnervingly prescient and perceptive end-of-the-world story with some interesting ruminations on statistical cycles and causality. Offbeat, charming characters. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Amazon Customer
Amusing and dark all at once. Heinlein yanks the rug out from under his characters and his readers in the last paragraphPublished 3 months ago by JonO
I enjoyed reading a Heinlein story that I don't remember having read before. I had hoped that I was purchasing the entire issue of Galaxy. Read morePublished 4 months ago by bruce
An excellent short story by the master of science fiction about how mathematics predicts the end of the world.Published 6 months ago by Gerry Mc
it was quite lovely reading a "new" Heinlein. Growing up he was my favorite author.Published 6 months ago by BEVERLY RYNG
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories & Anthologies > Anthologies
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > 90 minutes (44-64 pages) > Literature & Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > 90 minutes (44-64 pages) > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Anthologies & Literature Collections
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Anthologies
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Anthologies & Short Stories