5.0 out of 5 stars Was it really all that bad?
Published on November 5, 2009 by Pikminfan

3.0 out of 5 stars Simply, its Black being Black, and Cera being Cera
This movie appeared much more funny from previews, but seeing it in theaters just did not live up to the hype. As I mentioned in my title it is mostly Jack Black, acting as Jack Black (Loud, Outlandish, Stupid) and Michael Cera acting as his characters usually would (Awkward, shy, quiet) but in a biblical setting.

The movie begins in a small village with Black...
Published on September 24, 2009 by Dustin Hotz

5.0 out of 5 stars Was it really all that bad?, November 5, 2009
Pikminfan "bobsworld3" (Rossburg, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
I seem to find myself in the minority here, but I actually liked "Year One". Having seen it in the theater, I thought it was a fairly fun and light-hearted experience all around. The humor is perhaps not as broad as some prefer-but myself, I sort of enjoyed the subtleties. These type of films usually benefit from a second or even third viewing if you give them a chance.

In "Year One", Jack Black plays his part adequately but seems to yield the majority of the spotlight to his on-screen cohort Michael Cera. Michael Cera is the real star of "Year One" and Black seems to know it-taking a step back for the younger comedic actor to really shine. Cera's comedic delivery is dry and spot-on for his character "Oh" and he plays the part with real charismatic charm. In short, it is Cera's film, not Black's-and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

When it comes down to it, Year One is just a harmless little diversionary film which doesn't take itself too seriously and nor should you. I personally thought it had a lot of wit and charm. Perhaps it just didn't strike the majority of audiences in the same way. That's too bad too because personally, I found this film far more entertaining than some of the summer's bloated special effects films.

Surprisingly, this film looks amazing on Blu-Ray too-especially the city scenes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Hilarious and Light-hearted Comedy, April 30, 2011
The first thing that all these 1 star reviews tells me, is that a large portion of our population has become mind-numb to the subtleties and nuances of comedic brilliance. Perhaps they just prefer loud HD boom-booms, realistic CGI bang-bangs, and pointless choppy action with overblown special effects? Who knows?

The movie begins by taking us into a hunter/gatherer village where we meet Black and Cera's characters. The chemistry between the two is immediate and within minutes the movie has you smiling. After Black wreaks a little havoc and eats of the tree of knowledge, he is sent away from the village, Cera joining him somewhat relunctantly. After leaving, their village is raided and the village, including the love interests of the duo, are taken captive. What ensues is Black and Cera on a hilarious, distracted and mishap filled quest to save them, meeting great characters along the way, such as Adam, Cain (played by David Cross) and Abel, Abraham and Isaac and a most delightful and entertaining high priest (played by Oliver Platt).

But Year One is without a doubt a fantastic comedy. Jack Black and Michael Cera have a unique chemistry that works marvelously to deliver their lines with comedic brilliance that simply made this movie. I doubt any other duo would have pulled this off, and without Black and Cera, Year One would have probably been deserving of one star reviews. Add to the delightful comedy delivered through Black and Cera's excellent chemistry, an extremely entertaining David Cross, and you have comedy gold. Cross is often under-rated and overlooked in his roles, but his addition as the character Cain, was perfect. As well as Cross' supporting role, we have Oliver Platt playing the flamboyant high priest with such genius and charisma, he easily competes with Cera in stealing some very funny scenes. Platt's role was incredible and I couldn't imagine anyone playing it better.

Some may complain that Black was too Black, and Cera was too Cera, but that's what makes us like them. We fell for their own unique quirky acting styles, and to ask for different is nonsense. Do I want to see Cera be more like Vin Diesel? Of course not. Would we like to see Black be more Dinero-esque? Not at all. We like Black and Cera precisely because they are Black and Cera, and this seems to have been lost on many reviewers. And the criticisms leveled against this film in regard to depth and historical accuracy are simply puerile. This is a light, relax and enjoy it, type of comedy - not a deep search of soul with a few well placed laughs. And historical accuracy? Really? You can't exactly be "historically accurate" about events, such as Abraham/Isaac, Cain/Abel, Sodom, tree of knowledge, etc., which never happened. Mythology is always open to licentia poetica, and often makes for entertaining interpretations of classic legends. Such silly criticisms are likely just visceral responses from those who simply dislike Black and/or Cera, or who find such playful, light comedies to be "beneath" them. For me, I'm hoping very much to see Black and Cera return for 'Year Two.' But the myopic reviews of alleged "film critics" may have squashed any hope of a sure to be fantastic sequel.

If you are a fan of comedy films which don't ask you to search your soul, ponder pretentious issues, or question paradigms, but rather draw you toward a relaxing break where you can simply sit back and laugh at both slapstick and nuanced humor, then check the film out. But if you think a little too much of yourself, and don't quite understand full spectrum of comedy, then you may be a little too narrow-minded and reserved to appreciate the wonderful comedy of this film. If that's you, keep your one star and save your review for something you understand better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable comedy, October 26, 2009
This review is from: Year One (Theatrical & Unrated Edition) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I've read a couple of critical reviews of this movie and can't help but laugh at the disdain for this movie. I don't see how people expected greatness and depth out of a movie with Jack Black set in prehistoric and biblical times. I mean could they not see that by looking at the cover with a clean shaven, doe eyed Cera cast as a caveman? You want comedic depth, go watch "Best in Show" or "Arrested Development". You want silly and mindless toilet humor, then watch this.

I didn't go into this movie expecting an Oscar worthy movie or ground breaking performance, in fact nobody should. This movie is obviously intended for you to shut your brain down and let go for a couple of hours. I really enjoyed this movie and love Black in these type of roles. Cera plays the same role as he did in "Superbad" which isn't a bad thing since he's perfect as the shy awkward guy. You get that this movie is going in a whole different direction from the on-set of the movie when the cavemen speak with current day dialogue. It's right at that point where you're either sticking with it or bailing because even the most novice move watcher knows that this isn't "History of the World". If you like stuff from the Apatow troupe then this movie might be up your alley. If you don't get the Apatow reference then you obviously won't get this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's funny and never takes itself seriously., July 12, 2011
Jack black is funny and stupid which is why i like this movie.Michael cera is dorky and funny it's fun movie to watch with friends.If you are into comedies you will like this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good movie, September 27, 2010
This movie definitly has slow parts and jokes that don't always work as well as intended, so don't expect this to be a summer blockbuster. Don't have any high expectations for any Jack Black movie or Michael Cera movie really... If you like history or the humanitites you will definitly enjoy this movies multiple settings as they go through the early centuries. I would recommend at least a rental, if you're bored and are looking for something to mindlessly enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars funny but offensive, March 27, 2011
I'm really surprised by the low ratings. I'm definitely not a Jack Black fan (never was) but his performance here was pretty funny. Throw in actor Michael Cera, and you have yourself a pretty good film overall.

Perhaps I'm just happy with the fact that Jack Black maintains his normal character compared to his other comedy roles and blends it with Michael Cera's typical character. I recall how hilarious Michael was in Arrested Development, and I believe his performance here is quite similar. Now, like I said I'm no Jack Black fan, but taking his style and combining it with Michael Cera's really worked for me.

The storyline itself (along with the source of humor) is extremely whacky, focusing on long long ago during the Biblical times (hence the name of the film) and basically making a mockery of the entire time period. I can see how some people would be offended I suppose, but for me, I'm not the least bit offended.

In fact, the storyline is so outrageous that it's best to just treat the entire film as nothing more than a cheap comedy. That's all it really is anyway. Throw in some slapstick humor, and well, that just about sums it up.

I just happened to find many of the segments absolutely hysterical. The two brothers beating the crap out of each other out in the field with the one rock-wielding brother not knowing when to stop, to the scene involving a potential "private part snipping", to the first time the two warriors experience what it's like to ride on wheels (which might honestly have some accuracy to it, you know). Entertainment the entire time.

Again, not for everybody, and understandably so. But for me? Yeah, it did its job of entertaining me.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Enjoyed It., March 25, 2011
I might be in minority here, but I really enjoyed this film. I didn't expect a master piece, but a light-hearted and fun movie and that is exactlly what this movie is. The two stars, Black and Cohort play their roles very nicely. The delivery is dry and matter of fact and it makes it more fun. I give it five star because watching it, I laughed and after the movie, I felt happy and still smiled at remembering some of the scenes and lines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughs around every corner, September 29, 2013
This review is from: Year One (Amazon Instant Video)
I've watched this several times and keep discovering things I didn't notice previously. Some of the best humor isn't in the lines the actors use, it's the whole scene and the crazy situations they get themselves into. LOVE the twist on biblical stories. It's almost like a "Scary Movie" for the all those Sunday School stories you learned as a kid. Too Funny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny Funny Movie, April 25, 2011
One of the funniest movies. Black and Cera deliver a great performance. The story with cave men blends ingeniously with the biblical accounts. The only negative about the movie is the overdone sexual insinuations and innuendo that made me uncomfortable watching it with children. It has too much of that for PG-13.

4.0 out of 5 stars Year One - Better than expected!, December 19, 2009
I did not have too high expectations for this movie, the plot looked silly and the actors are not the best in Hollywood. Suprisingly, the plot threw in many references to the Old Testament. They followed books of the bible in a similar way that Forrest Gump followed events in 60's culture. It was cleverly done. I was pleased to see Paul Rudd, although for only a brief appearance. Yes, it contained silly, teenage boy humor, but what else would you expect from a movie with Jack Black and Michael Cera? If you like these guys, you'll probably like this movie.

Year One (Theatrical & Unrated Edition) [Blu-ray]
Year One (Theatrical & Unrated Edition) [Blu-ray] by Harold Ramis (Blu-ray - 2009)
$19.99 $13.96