Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 28, 2011
The One Year Uncommon Life Daily Challenge focuses on seven themes: Core, Family, Friends, Potential, Mission, Influence, and Faith. The devotions rotate through each of the seven themes and each devotion stands on its own.

Each day's reading begins with a passage of Scripture. Not just the reference, but the entire verse or verses, already printed on the page. I love that!

The devotion that follows ties to the verse and the theme for the day, usually with a story from either family or athletic life. Each day concludes with an Uncommon Key - a brief take away or action point based on the day's reading.

I found the devotions to be straightforward and easy to read. The devotional is geared toward men (and I think that's great!) but I found the readings to be quite applicable to me as a mom as well.

While I like the book, I like the purpose behind the book even more. Coach Dungy is challenging men - and women - to live Uncommon lives and the key to beginning that process is to spend time with God. EVERY DAY.

**I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
VINE VOICEon December 27, 2011
I have to admit, before I received this book I had no idea who Tony Dungy was! Come to find out, he is a Super Bowl - winning coach! [Even I know what the Super Bowl is!]

Not being sports minded, however, I was a bit trepidatious at reviewing this book. I mean, what was this coach going to tell me about life's daily challenges! I even said so to Texican, my dh, who usually reads everything I do, but after I have reviewed it.

"Honey, give it a chance!" he coaxed me.

"Why don't you read it then?" I asked. I thought perhaps he could read it, give me his thoughts on it, and then I could simply re-write those thoughts as my own review. After all, that would be just as good, right?

"Babe, that wouldn't be very honest," he warned.

So, I sat down one evening, wrapped in my favorite afghan, with a cup of warm cocoa, and opened the book. 'I'll just give it a good skimming, and then write the review from that,' I promised myself.

Five and a half hours later, I finished the last page and sat there stunned that I had read a daily devotional completely through without even taking a break.

Yes.... Tony Dungy is that good!

Super Bowl-winning coach? Well, I can't say anything about that, except that if this man coaches football anywhere near as excellent as he can coach Christians into an 'Uncommon' walk in this life, there's no wonder his team has won such an honor!

I've used daily devotional's before, mostly as a guide when I was feeling lazy about coordinating my personal Bible study time. But this book is something that will lead you along paths of walking a different life than the world about you. An Uncommon Life!. This is one devotional that will be used again, and again, and again!

I highly recommend The One Year Uncommon Life Daily Challenge to readers of all ages! There are daily scriptures, followed by Coach Dungy's words of encouragement, and closing each day with an Uncommon Key, to help you walk each day in an Uncommon way!

I give this book Five Stars and my Thumbs Up award!
on April 18, 2013
An exceptional book of daily devotions for anyone but specially for men. Tony Dungy has a way of sharing his faith that is real and offers advice that is followable. This book is appropriate regardless of where you are on your faith journey.
on February 3, 2012
I'm always on the hunt for a good devotional. There's all kinds of them out there. Ones where they want you journaling your thoughts and prayers. Ones that you do together with your spouse, sister, child....small groups. I've tried them all. First of all, I plain stink at journaling. It's just not how I process things. I always promise to give them a shot, but ultimately never follow through with using them daily, weekly...or monthly for that matter.

So, when I open up The One Year Uncommon Life Daily Challenge by Tony Dungy and Nathan Whitaker, I expected just these sorts of things. I expected them to ask me to do what's "uncommon" to me. In actuality, it's like most conventional devotionals. You have a small devotion for each day of the year with a small question or thought (uncommon key) to follow through on for the day. What I haven't gotten from previous devotions, I have gotten from this one. Thought provoking questions that have me put to action biblical teaching and personal convictions.

Not a football fan like I am? That's okay....seriously. Tony Dungy may talk about team dynamics or use sports analogies, but he gets down to the core issues and is easy to understand. Tony is someone I have admired for years for his bold faith. I think he's just as bold about it in this book.

What I'm finding and reminded of daily is God's timing of when I need to hear things. It seems like each day I moved onto was written just for me. I think God is really trying to teach me and my little family patience. And patience isn't always the most fun place to be. I'm learning that I can't do it all, I've got to let Him be a part of it. So the verse that's always in my head is Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Six days into this devotional, I was met with this same verse. Here's what this day's devotion had to say, "How would you live differently if you really believed that God had intentionally designed you to impact others? What steps of faith would you take if you knew He already planned them? What would you attempt if you were fully convinced He was backing you? Would you set out to accomplish big things in your community? would you walk into local schools with a sense of mission? What impossible problems would suddenly seem possible to deal with? The fact is that when you believe you were designed for a purpose, you will live with a purpose." This shook me to the core. How was I living my life? Was I truly living a live of purpose or taking steps of faith? Or was I too scared and lacking faith? Question after question began pouring out of me. I knew I seriously had some thinking to do, that was going to require a change in how I chose to live my life. That I was going to have to be "uncommon." All from a devotional that took me literally two minutes...maybe, to read.

To say that I would recommend this devotional is an understatement. It's one a few great ones I've seen out there
on November 20, 2014
I purchased this as a daily devotional. It proved to be one of the best ones I have ever purchased. It is not only recommended for sports enthusiasts but for any one who uses a daily devotional men and women alike.
on January 18, 2012
I just finished reading through Tony Dungy's new book: The One Year Uncommon Life Daily Challenge. For those of you who don't know, Tony Dungy was a NFL coach who is known for his uncommon exemplary Christian character.

I am not much of a football fan, so when I read Tony Dungy's original book, The Uncommon Life, I found myself not being all that excited or impressed. There were a lot of really good principles on how to be a good person, but not a lot about how you can't be that good person without Christ in your life.

However, the Daily Challenge expounds on the principles of Dungy's first book and grounds them solidly in scripture and a relationship with Jesus, the feature most lacking in the previous book. The Daily Challenge is basically a daily devotional with some stories from Dungy's football career. It's obviously geared more toward the Christian male, but he does try to throw in some stuff for the ladies too.

I don't think there were many things that were uncommon in terms of common sense for those who follow Christ if we're really trying to follow His commandments, but it is always good to be reminded of those commandments for life on a daily basis, and I'd probably recommend this book over some of the less practical devotionals out there--you know the ones I'm talking about. The ones that start out like this "Day One: Give Jesus a Big Hug Today."

Overall, I'd recommend skipping the first book and just going with this one.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher for review. All opinions are my own. This review was originally posted on my website Manifest Blog.
on January 12, 2013
I bought this book as gift for my young adult son. He said that he likes the format of the book as well the short daily reading. I am planning to buy additional copies for other men in my life.
on February 2, 2016
We are enjoying this devo together as a family. Each devo takes only 5-10 mins (including each of us saying what we learned or were reminded of from reading the devo), which is perfect for some of our very hectic days. On the days we have more time we may discuss the devo more in depth or even read two of them.
on January 9, 2015
I just received this book this morning in the mail. It the largest devotional book that I have seen but Coach Dungy talks about issues that he personally had experience that he shares with us how God brought him out and topics that he know someone else may have gone through. The fact we who are believers of God will be faced with many obstacles but with God he will make us strong to go through the test victorious.Christian lifestyle is Uncommon. a book to mentor not only men but women as well.
on May 21, 2016
Great, great book that can be picked up and read any day or time when ever you need inspiration. Tony really nailed this book and I plan on getting a couple in the future to give out as gifts to some athlete friends of mine.