4.0 out of 5 stars Selena's Sophomore Album is Sensational
First off, I love Selena Gomez as an actress and as a role model. If you look at the likes of her contemporaries like Miley Cyrus or Emily Osment who are going a sexualized/edgy route with their music and movies, Selena stands out because she is simply NOT turning into a bona fide sellout.
You will not find a song on this album that talks about getting drunk and...
Published on September 24, 2010 by A. Gooding

3.0 out of 5 stars Selena Gomez Music
I bought the albums by Selena for my niece who really likes her music but by me buying them we could give her the music and keep away any of the songs that we thought were inappropriate for her age.
Published 16 months ago by Tim. H

4.0 out of 5 stars Selena's Sophomore Album is Sensational, September 24, 2010
You will not find a song on this album that talks about getting drunk and partying irresponsibly (like Katy Perry or Ke$ha), or being arrogant and promiscuous (like Miley Cyrus' "Can't Be Tamed"). And that's what I really like about her, this album is mature and fun at the same time. She is reaching for an older audience while still connecting with her younger audience.

I really enjoy all of these songs on this album. My absolute favorites are the soaring "A Year Without Rain", the effervescent song "Off The Chain", the feel-good dance hall jam "Spotlight", and the hauntingly beautiful ballad "Ghost of You". This album is so much better lyrically, vocally, and stylistically than her debut "Kiss & Tell". This album "A Year Without Rain" is strictly dance/techno pop and its very cohesive and calculated (in a good way). "Kiss & Tell" was too all over the place for me, but it was her learning album of where she want's to go with her music. It's obvious after "Naturally" that she chose the dance route because it suits her voice wonderfully.

Speaking of Selena's voice, I am throughly impressed and happy that her voice has matured so much. She seems to have more control and her high notes are so pretty, especially in the song "A Year Without Rain". The one thing I do miss from "Kiss & Tell" was how much more raw it was compared to this album. This album is so slick, shiny and processed to perfection. Which I don't necessarily have a problem with since this is a dance pop album.

Some of the complaints I have read on iTunes reviews are talking about how auto-tuned this album is and that the band is pretty much non-existent. Pop listeners need to remember that this is 2010 and the use of auto-tune is on almost every pop album out these days. It's the trend nowadays and it will pass, but for now this is what is "hot". Hollywood Records has an especially big liking to using auto-tune these days. Listen to Miley Cyrus' album "Can't Be Tamed" and you will hear that it's so overproduced and so auto-tuned you may not be able to hear the real Miley in the songs. At least with "A Year Without Rain" I can still distinguish this is Selena Gomez singing. It's not hardly as overproduced as Miley Cyrus, Emily Osment (like her new songs "Let's Be Friends" and "Lovesick") or Ke$ha so I'm thankful for that at least.

About the band also known as "The Scene", they are really just there to help her perform live. Just because they are a band doesn't mean that they have to take turns being the vocalists. This band is centered around Selena Gomez, we all now that. We didn't buy this CD solely to hear "The Scene" play some instruments, so come on people stop complaining about nothing.

Overall, this is a fantastic album if you love Selena Gomez and dance pop music. If you are looking for rock songs, this is the wrong album for you. Selena's voice has grown so much from "Kiss & Tell" and this album just marks the beginning of a successful, long career in acting, singing and designing fashion. I would recommend this CD to anyone looking for fun music by a talented, beautiful, wonderful role model: Selena Gomez.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this for my daughter, Selena is a great rolemodel!!, November 17, 2010
You could call me a strict parent - I am very picky about what I will allow my daughter to listen to or watch - and so far Selena Gomez has been great. You will find no Miley Cyrus or Justin Beiber at my house - but Selena Gomez comes off much more responsible and together. The extra DVD that came with this cd was so heartfelt and genuine and was a peek into what she is really like as a person. LOVED IT!! The music in my opinion is mostly for a younger audience - sort of bubblegum, but a couple tracks I do find myself singing along with my daughter. Overall, anything Selena gomez I think is a good choice!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Best!!!!!!, February 7, 2011
A Kid's Review
This review is from: A Year Without Rain (Audio CD)
Wow! I was amazed with this album. It's way better then Sel's first CD "Kiss and Tell." I thought the music was very catchy and had hardly any questionable or inappropriete lyrics (except Rock God.) I'm 12 1/2, but I think it would be appropriete for any age. The CD is AMAZING! Here is my rating of each song:

1."Round and Round"-4/5 I think this is a great song to dance to, but its a little boring after a while.
2."A Year Without Rain"-5/5 This is one of my fave songs. She has beautiful vocals in it.
3."Rock God"-5/5 This is an awesome, catchy dance number, but my be inapropriete for younger kids.
4."Off The Chain"-5/5 The song is a heartfelt tune that everybody will love.
5."Summers Not Hot"-3/5 I liked this song, but it was very cheesy.
6."Intuition"-3/5 Sappy but fun song.
7."Spotlight"-5/5 Beautiful!!!!!!!!
8."Ghost of You"- Best song on Cd!!!!!!!!
9."Sick of You"-1/5 Worst of them all. Super lame!
10."Live like theres no Tomorrow"-4/5Its Beautiful, but made me cry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Selena, January 7, 2014
BJ (Camlachie, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Year Without Rain (Audio CD)
I absolutely love Selena Gomez! One little girl (so to speak) that has her head on straight like Taylor Swift. She doesn't pretend she is somebody else and in my books she is very genuine and loves her career.

5.0 out of 5 stars Selena Gomez - A Year Without Rain, December 10, 2013
This review is from: A Year Without Rain (Audio CD)
I always like getting the newest music and Selena Gomez is a great addition to my cd collection. She is amazing and I am glad I bought this cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Selena Gomez Fan, September 8, 2013
This review is from: A Year Without Rain (Audio CD)
This is a great CD, I bought it a while ago and still have it. Enjoy it every time I listen!

3.0 out of 5 stars Selena Gomez Music, August 29, 2013
This review is from: A Year Without Rain (MP3 Music)

4.0 out of 5 stars Stick with the regular edition, July 7, 2013
As a fan of deluxe editions, I bought this. Most of the songs are ok, though the worst is probably Rock God. Anyways the point of this review is not to review the songs. That has already been done to death it seems. My goal is to sway you into buying the regular edition if you feel you must buy this album.

But of course I must list the pros of the deluxe. The DVD is awesome. Comes with a documentary, a behind the scenes to a photoshoot and music video for A Year Without Rain (Though the actual music video for this song is not included), the music videos for Round & Round and Naturally. The documentary is very interesting to watch, but the behind the scenes features probably won't get rewatched from me. The music videos can easily be watched online as well.

The deluxe edition also includes a poster which is no more than a 2011 calendar with Selena somewhere on it. I only looked at it once and it was a very forgettable poster.

Now you may be thinking the 3 bonus tracks on the CD are worth it, right? The Round & Round and AYWR remixes are ok, but they are only radio edits. There is another Selena EP that contains 5 full club remixes, two of which are from this album. I would recommend buying that EP instead (Titled The Club Remixes). That only leaves the Spanish version of A Year Without Rain which may hold value to you.

Another problem with having these three songs tacked on at the end is it does not make for an enjoyable repeat listen. Here's how it would go:
11. Round and Round Remix
12. A Year Without Rain Remix
13. A Year Without Rain Spanish edition
1. Round and Round
2. A Year Without Rain

By now, you've already forgotten the rest of the tracks because the album now only focuses on these two songs. To avoid this problem, just get the regular edition of the cd. It provides a more enjoyable repeat listening experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars The CD rocks :), December 10, 2010
A Kid's Review
I really like this, an awesome follow to ''Kiss & Tell'' which I have as well. The deluxe edition rocks! So I'll review the 13 songs and the DVD.

Round & Round - This song is a great start for the album, the song and video are catchy, Selena looks so cool in the video. Not a lot to say, I like to play the song round and round and round and round :P
A Year Without Rain - The song is really quiet comparing to the first one, but it's beautiful, about a person Selena really needs and she can't live without otherwise it's a year without rain :D. I like the video too, in the desert.
Rock God - I like hearing Katy's back vocals here, it's a good song. I've heard not a lot of people like it, I think it's just good.
Off The Chain - This is a sweet song, I really like when she says ''Your love is off the chain, chain'' and keeps repeating 'chain'. Catchy song as well.
Summer's Not Hot - This is my favorite song, absolutely, even more when Summer's coming here in my country (maybe in other countries Winter's coming, right?). It's catchy, I love when she says ''Vamos a la playa'' and the song is really fun, I'd like to dance to it this Summer :P
Intuition - Idk what to say, it's a nice song, not my favorite but I like the lyrics.
Spotlight - This is my second favorite one, it's a song for ''those days'' we all have, it's a really liberating song, that's why I love it.
Ghost Of You - This one is great, maybe too quiet, but I think there's a lot of feelings in this song.
Sick Of You - I think the beat is similar to ''Summer's Not Hot'', I like Selena's mood, it's really liberating too.
Live Like There's No Tomorrow - This has to be my third favorite song, it's wonderful, this song is from Ramona & Beezus which is a movie I loved. It's a really awesome ballad by Selena. It's good to close the standard edition, but this time it's not the last song because it's the Deluxe edition.
Round & Round (Dave Audé Radio Remix) - I like this remix, it's in the Deluxe edition bonus tracks, it brings more energy to the original song and it's good to dance.
A Year Without Rain (EK's Future Classic Remix - Radio Edit) - A really long title, but the song it's really great, good to dance as well.
Un Año Sin Ver Llover (A Year Without Rain - Spanish Version) - I understood this because my native language is Spanish, I like the lyrics, maybe better than the English version for me. It's good to close the album.

The DVD is awesome, I loved ''Girl Meets World'' because it shows Selena's experience during her job, it expresses her love for her fans and that's why I love it. I also watched the music videos, I liked them even though I already saw them. ''Girl On Film'' was awesome, I loved her photoshoot for the album and all that pink. The behind the scenes of ''A Year Without Rain'' music video was amazing, and haha Selena was cold at the end :P.

Yeah, amazing album, hope to see more Selena in the future. Amazing album! :D

4.0 out of 5 stars An unexpectedly excellent pop album, November 14, 2010
She may not have the chart success or notoriety of Miley Cyrus or even Demi Lovato, but in recent years, the Disney teen queen with the strongest contemporary pop album under her belt is Selena Gomez. Consistency can be a major problem for pop albums in general, let alone pop albums aimed at younger audiences. Selena Gomez and her band The Scene's second album is not only massively more enjoyable than her debut, it also maintains a solid consistency in quality throughout its tracklisting, something very difficult to achieve nowadays.

Irony of ironies, the album's biggest and arguably only major misstep is its opener and lead single, the cacophonously repetitive "Round & Round." Second single and title track "A Year Without Rain" fares much better with its elegant synths, piano loops and engaging vocals. The Katy Perry-penned "Rock God" is the next-closest thing to filler; it's cheesy, awkward, un-catchy, and simply feels out of place on the album. Thankfully, the remainder of the album is seamlessly great pop.

"Off The Chain," possibly the disc's best track, is an effervescent pure pop gem that craftily sets a mood that is at once blissful and melancholic (a trait that many pop gems of the 90's shared). The speedy, peppy "Summer's Not Hot" and techno-pop "Intuition" are both infectious and sheer fun, while "Spotlight" is a thrilling blend of electro-fied dance-pop and dancehall, about not fretting over what you see in the mirror.

Things stay strong even through the ballads, which are ordinarily excruciating on teen pop albums. It helps that Gomez herself has a rather strong, charming voice, much more pleasant to listen to than most Disney princesses. The highly emotive "Ghost Of You" is gorgeous, while the Ramona and Beezus theme song "Live Like There's No Tomorrow" is genuinely uplifting. "Sick Of You," meanwhile, recalls a bit of the sassy lite-rock edge Selena displayed a little more on her debut; "sick of the sleepless neverending nights, the rumors and the alibis, tear me up, I'll cut you down to size," she snarls over a pounding pop-rock beat.

Selena Gomez may not technically be the best singer, but her voice is extremely easy on the ears and she has the miraculous ability to convincingly breathe life into just about anything that's handed to her, which really makes one think she has the capability to make it in this business for the long-haul. Hopefully she doesn't confine herself to Disney princess-ism much longer, because she deserves a spot in the mainstream pop stratosphere.

A Year Without Rain