Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation (Brewing Elements)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 8, 2015
This book is the bible for yeast and a must have for brewers at any level. Yeast is the most important aspect of making beer and the authors do a great job of breaking down the concepts. Even someone with no background in chemistry or biology will be able to follow along with no problems.
on June 2, 2016
The information in this book is invaluable, whether you are just starting out as a home brewer, or have years of experience. After brewing for almost 7 years - mostly reading articles from popular brew magazines, collecting information from online forums, watching youtube videos, I would greatly urge you to pick up a copy of this book. Whether it provides too much information or not, is up to you to determine, but even if the knowledge goes on unused, I'd imagine everyone would love to have an idea of what really goes on in brewing chemistry. I would strongly recommend all the books in this series for anyone who is serious about brewing beer. The book was particularly enjoyable to me because of the mix of science (biological and chemistry) with real scenarios, while still written in a language that anyone can comprehend.

Cheers!
on January 9, 2011
First thing's first, this is neither a brewing how-to book nor a yeast biochemistry textbook. This is, as the authors intended, the book equivalent of a practicum. I say that it is "everything a brewer needs to know about yeast" because, while it doesn't delve into the exact biochemical pathways yeast use or why homebrewers should make a vorlauf recirculation a standard part of their mash schedulle, it does explain in great detail the what, why, and how of yeast. What it is and how it works, why problems arise, how to propagate and set up a proper lab, everything.

If you're a brewer you owe it to yourself to buy this book. As they say, the yeast controls 80-90% of the final result. This book right here is a major step in teaching you how to control it.
on December 9, 2013
I've been brewing for many years now and Yeast had always remained the most mysterious ingredient to me. This book answered virtually all of my questions (where does a pure culture come from? How to keep mutations from occurring in that culture? What exactly do the yeast need to thrive? How do the yeast metabolize the sugars? Proper pitching rates, temperatures, and most importantly off flavor trouble shooting) are answered here. A must read for serious home brewers who are looking to round out their knowledge on (arguably) the most important ingredient.
on August 4, 2013
Several reviewers complained it wasn't as scientific as they liked but it was a great refresher of the my high school biology classes from years back. Def worth adding to the library of any home brewer as a "Must Have"
on August 27, 2013
Bought this for my fiance and he about tackled me he was so excited about this book. It's part of a series of books based on a specific ingredient in brewing. Didn't realize how much of a difference yeast can make. Very cool.
on October 4, 2013
Very helpful and interesting. I couldn't put it down. There were so many things about brewing that I knew was good practice but I never knew why (e.g. don't aerate after you pitch). This answered all the questions. I find myself using this book to answer so many questions on the homebrew forums. Its also a great resource to have to refer back to. I find myself constantly grabbing it for a reference, or when I want to know am I doing this "perfectly?"
on February 28, 2016
An in-depth introduction to yeast in general and to choosing the right yeast for your brew and caring for it. Written by (among others) Chris White of White Labs. Not an easy read if you haven't got a biology/chemistry background I can imagine, but the nerdiest parts can be skipped with little impact on the usefulness of this book. I rated it five stars because it's a great book, and the paper edition is well deserving of five stars. The Kindle edition not so much. There are some useful tables and diagrams that are badly represented in the Kindle edition, even when you zoom in. Maybe it works better on a newer Kindle, I don't know. The Kindle edition gets four stars because of this.
on May 2, 2015
Everything you need to know about yeast if your not quite to the point of culturing your own east yet. Very helpful if you are. Interesting read and gives a bunch of general pointers about the environmental effects on yeast during brewing. Great read, very informative. And I have a degree in this. (Though you don't need one to understand it all, a little fundamental background in some brewing chemistry doesn't hurt). My favorite book in the series.
on June 1, 2016
I really liked this book. Great for all levels of brewer. Gets pretty advanced with the yeast propagation techniques, and lab testing, and setting up a yeast lab. I found it very useful for what it is. Good book to add to the brewing library.