4.0 out of 5 stars Forgive me Yeezus, I almost hated you
Published 19 months ago by Thomas A. Brady

3.0 out of 5 stars Oscillates between genius and lazy
I am as big of a Kanye West fan as anybody you will ever meet. However, I do not let my deep appreciation of him as an artist cloud my judgment with it comes to assessing his work. Yeezus features some of Kanye's most rushed, lazy lyrics EVER.

Published 10 months ago by Sentinel the Avenger

4.0 out of 5 stars Forgive me Yeezus, I almost hated you, July 1, 2013
This review is from: Yeezus [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
I would say I've listened to this album at least 20 times now. It's one of the best workout albums I've ever had because of the industrial feel...mixed with how angry it is at times. I really like it a lot now. Having said that, I understand reviews from people who don't like it. I listened to the first few tracks, and my first thought was, "Oh no. I really, really hate this." I am a person who likes to listen to music that I'm unfamiliar with while I work on other things, so I put it on while I was doing paperwork. A few songs started to grow on me. Then I worked out to it, and realized how great "Black Skinheads" and "New Slaves" are. While I don't think this album flows together as well as some of his past work does, I do think it is noteworthy as one of the better albums of the year. I honestly think that all of the passionately mixed views on this album (from people who think it's not music, to people who give it a 10) come from the simple fact that Kanye's name is on it. If this album came from anyone else, I think it would be about an 8. There's no way people would hate it this much.
Personally, I respect that Kanye decided to make an album that is basically unplayable on the radio. He cares more about music as an artform than as a commercial industry...at least that's what it seems to me.
If you hate Kanye, I don't think this album is going to change your mind. I don't like him outside of his music, but I really love his vulnerability in his music. I think he's one of the few people owning his flaws and painting an honest picture of himself. "Hold My Liquor" is so great for that. You get to hear him describe his failure in a relationship...criticisms of himself come out in an interesting way.
I docked it a star because I'm not crazy about how lazy his sexism can be at some points. He has a line in "Bound 2" where he says, "Fresh hair cut, straight out the salon b***h," for no reason. I get that rap is sexist in general, but there's no commentary to be had from that line. And he's really filthy at certain points, and I guess I just don't have the stomach that I thought I had for it. I love "Hell of a Life" from Twisted Fantasy, which gets pretty dirty, but in Yeezus, he takes it to another level with a few verses.
This album isn't Twisted Fantasy. It isn't College Dropout or 808's. It's something a lot different, and I respect Kanye's ability to throw out the mold and take a risk. I think it pays off. Can't wait to see where he goes from here.

I hope you're able to give it the proper chance, and not close yourself off from it just because it is a little uncomfortable to listen to at first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kanye West's "Kid A", July 26, 2013
This review is from: Yeezus (Audio CD)
Let me preface this review by saying that I never appreciated Kanye West until well after he went nutty and busted in on Taylor Swift's awards acceptance speech. So, I won't be comparing "Yeezus" to Kanye's back catalog. And I won't be coming at this from the perspective of a hip hop connoisseur. I will, however, be coming at this from a music enthusiast who appreciates artistic risks.

I've listened through "Yeezus" in its entirety at least half a dozen times and I just can't get enough. It wasn't until this last time through that it clicked for me, "Why?" To me, "Yeezus" is to Kanye as "Kid A" was to Radiohead back in 2000. You had an established artist with a huge fan base that decided to take an artistic risk and ended up with a masterpiece. Kelly Clarkson's "My December" and Fiona Apple's "Extraordinary Machine" also came to mind (though I'm harder pressed to call those masterpieces). The arguable commonality across all of these albums is that none of them seem to have an obvious hit single, yet they all hold together extremely well as complete works.

The droning beats and experimental sounds of "Yeezus" generally appeal to the part of my brain that loves Bauhaus, Joy Division, and Portishead much more than the part of my brain that loves Jay-Z. I can totally understand why long-time Kanye fans and top 40 listeners would be confused and dissatisfied. But for me, it's quite possibly my favorite album of the last five years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oscillates between genius and lazy, March 23, 2014
This review is from: Yeezus (Audio CD)

This is no surprise: the co-executive producer of Yeezus, Rick Rubin, stated in an interview with the Wall Street Journal that when Kanye played him the album three weeks before it was to be handed to the label, he felt it needed several months more work and that three weeks would not be enough time to make it a cohesive, quality album. But a due date is a due date, so Kanye managed to slop together a project that could have been so much more. The production is great (albeit a tad rushed at times), but the countless lyrical pitfalls will make you cringe.

There are a number of gems interspersed with the laziness, but Kanye failed on his end of the unspoken agreement between the purchaser of art and the creator: if one is to spend one's hard earned money to purchase your work, the product you are selling should feel as if there was serious time and effort put forth into creating it. Although I acknowledge that Yeezus is stellar at points, it could have been way better. If I had a friend who never listened to Kanye before that wanted me to recommend him an album, I would be ashamed to suggest this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Industrial Hip Hop., June 18, 2013
This review is from: Yeezus (Audio CD)
I have always loved Kanye Wests music. I never really liked his personality in public, but I love his music. All of his albums are Hip Hop classics. His first three releases were all Grammy nominated for Album of the Year. "Graduation" changed Hip Hop forever with its stadium influenced sound. Then again, he changed how rap can sound with his album "808s and Heartbreaks" by adding autotune and giving the genre a more experimental and emotional sound. The album paved the way for artists such as Kid Cudi and Drake. Then in 2010 he released what can arguably be labeled his ultimate masterpiece, "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy". It was an epic experimental album that paid tribute to all of the genres Kanye explored through his career with many additional new sounds. The album was expected to WIN album of the year at the Grammys, but was ultimately snubbed of even a nomination. Most people, including West himself, blame the fact that he released another hip hop classic soon after with Jay Z, the greatest Hip Hop collaboration album of all time "Watch the Throne". So 3 years pass since his last solo release and many were wondering how he would top his masterpiece "MBDTF". He started speaking about how he didn't want "radio" songs on his new album and how there would be no singles. At first I didn't really think it would be a great album when I saw the bad quality videos on YouTube of his song "New Slaves". The song was good, but I didn't really get excited for the new album just from that song. The live videos of the song "Black Skinhead" didn't help either. I am not one to get offended by Kanyes lyrics, I just personally thought the song was unappealing. People started hating on Kanye for these two new songs and I was starting to think the new album would be horrible. I did feel a bit of hope when I found out that Daft Punk were producing a few tracks, and that the always amazing Justin Vernon of Bon Iver would help out. Well it was finally released and I must say, though it doesn't top his last album, it does stand out among his collection of classics. Many think it is another masterpiece, and maybe it is, but the truth is, it was just over hyped. The album is very, bipolar, in a good way. Here is a quick track by track overview.

1. On Sight: This song is okay. It has a good robotic vibe. The lyrics are okay for Kanyes standards. A minute into the song there is a slight interlude that has some nice soul. I found out this was one of the tracks the legendary Daft Punk produced, and honestly, I was disappointed with it then. It is a good song for your workout playlist though. 7.5/10
2. Black Skinhead: Many will be offended just by the title, but will have no idea that it isn't a racist song at all. The lyrics are great. The beat is amazing, and very similar to Marilyn Mansons song "Beautiful People". The song is somewhat catchy, but it gets tiresome quickly, and the screams of Kanye during the chorus are very annoying. I can sorta see this released as a single based on its pumping nature, but I still don't see it as a great song. Still better than the horrible live version that was on YouTube though. Another Daft Punk produced song surprisingly. I expected more. This one is a grower. 8/10
3. I am a God: I know many people will hate the song just because of the title. This is something Kanye is good at, making people mad! I kinda like the vibe of the song, but it also gets tiresome quickly. Most people don't realize he isn't claiming to be GOD, he is saying he is A God. He is a god of hip hop, you cant deny that. Despite the egotistical lyrics, this is a great song to work out to. The pumping house beat is addicting. Daft Punk produced this track too, and I'm not surprised. This is radio potential if they cut out the annoying ending that contains screams and heavy breathing. 9/10
4. New Slaves: Good song, but honestly, I skip over it. The album version is refreshing after the annoying live version that was released prior. Again, for people who get offended by the title, the song isn't a racist song at all. Frank Ocean makes an appearance at the end, but it doesn't save the song for me. The song has a similar feel to the songs on Kanyes GOOD music album "Cruel Summer", mostly the song "Clique". 8/10
5. Hold My Liquor: Just when I was beginning to feel a bit disappointed with the album, this song came next. I think this is the best song on the album. It has a very new and chill sound. Chief Keef surprisingly sings the chorus in a catchy way. I never really liked Chief Keef but he did well on this song. First the Chief Keef chorus starts and it just sounds okay. The verses by Kanye are amazing and heartfelt with a screeching industrial guitar in the background with a very relaxing beat. Then the chorus with Chief Keef kicks in, but this time with amazing guitar work who I assume is from Justin Vernon from Bon Iver, who also does amazing vocal work throughout the song. There is a tasty guitar solo in there too that fits so well into this relaxing song. You haven't heard a hip hop song like this. Only from Yeezus. This can be released as a single. This song saved the album for me. 10/10
6. I'm In It: A great song to follow the previous masterpiece of a song. The beat is very industrial and abstract. The lyrics are typical Kanye bragging, but it's amazing. Before Kanyes verse a Jamaican rapper steals the show with his nice speed. Then surprisingly Justin Vernon of Bon Iver makes another perfect vocal appearance! Futuristic hip hop song. 9.5/10
7. Blood on The Leaves: Great soulful song. Kanye uses slight autotune and it works so well. I'm not a fan of Autotune, but Kanye is one of the few who make it work so well. The sample is similar to Kanyes older song "I Wonder" from the "Graduation" album. Another song that saves the album! The beat is so hype and perfect! I don't know what else to say. I love it. 10/10
8. Guilt Trip: Another great song. I thought Daft Punk produced it, because it has the most Daft Punk feeling vibe, but sadly they didn't. Still a great infectious song. Kid Cudi makes a vocal appearance near the end singing with his uniquely awesome voice. Still better than any of the first 4 tracks. 9/10
9. Send It Up: Another Daft Punk produced song, and you can tell. The chorus is catchy but this is just an okay song among the recent great songs. I can see this played in the club though. 8/10
10. Bound 2: The final song kicks off perfectly. Arguably the most soulful song. It contains Kanyes iconic sampling of a classic song. Reminds me of the song "Devil in a New Dress" from "MBDTF", and surprisingly this one is better. Singer Charlie Wilson makes a vocal appearance and he sounds great with the song. The song has a very romantic hip hop sound, but the lyrics get pretty explicit. Still a perfect album closer that left me wanting so much more! 10/10

*First Impressions*
So Mr. West has made another classic album. The only reason the album isn't 5 stars is because the first 4 tracks just weren't up to par with the masterpiece quality of the rest of the album. Many will love those tracks to death, but I got tired of them quickly. The album as a whole has this industrial rock influenced sound sometimes similar to early "Nine Inch Nails" music, but with more Hip Hop elements incorporated. I recommend the songs "Hold My Liquor" and "Bound 2" the most. Though I would say the last 6 tracks are all the true Highlights and they have the most replay value. This album will get polarized reviews. Many are calling it another masterpiece, and many are calling it trash. It all depends on taste. But you can't deny that this album is another landmark hip hop album that will surely change the way the genre sounds the way Kanyes other releases have. I have a feeling Kanye might get another nomination for Album of The Year after being snubbed with his last true masterpiece. So if you like good Hip Hop and aren't offended easily then this album is perfect. This can appeal to anyone who likes good experimental music. Many have also compared it's experimental genre bending nature to the band Radioheads landmark album "Kid A", which is actually a compliment! I also think that like "Kid A", this album will be hailed as a classic in years to come. Another good release from the Hip Hop genre this week was J.Coles more commercial sounding "Born Sinner", but it doesn't stand out like Yeezus. If you are looking for beautiful music that isn't in the hip hop category then pick up Sigur Ros's 2013 release "Kveikur". This album is for music listeners with minds more open to new and different sounds. Listen to it twice before you form an opinion though!

*New thoughts after more repeated listens*
I have grown slightly more fond of the first 4 tracks now. "Black Skinhead" in particular has become a hit for me. I still don't see it as a favorite of mine, and it is still not up to par with the last 6 tracks. But I have heard it in a trailer for the movie "The Wolf of Wall Street" and I found myself feeling pumped and rapping along. For some reason "Black Skinheads" has become very appealing to me and apparently the country. It is starting to have the same appeal as Kanyes single "Power" which has become a popular choice for commercials and movie trailers. It is even being released as the first single surprisingly. As for the rest of the album, I still love the last 6 tracks the most. I keep discovering new layers to each song with repeated listens. I will try to revisit the album every now and again since the music is amazing, but too exhausting for constant repeated listening.

**Months Later**
I decided to give this another listen again. Suddenly I am listening closer to the lyrics of all the songs. The first 4 tracks too. "I am a God" is suddenly one of my favorite controversial songs ever. The album sounds new and refreshing and nostalgic for some reason. I am changing my score to a perfect 5 out of 5 now. This is a real album. This will be considered a classic milestone for Hip Hop in years to come. Truly Kanyes "Kid A".

**After Bound 2 success**
The album didn't have any mega hits like previous albums. Black Skinhead has been used in commercials and trailers but hasn't charted well. But after Kim Kardashian starred in the controversial music video of the song "Bound 2", things changed. The song has gotten really popular and is sure to be the big hit of the album. It is also reigniting interest in the album as it made me come back and listen again. Once again I'm discovering new elements to the album. Masterpiece!

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Not Mainstream, June 18, 2013
This review is from: Yeezus [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
Before I begin, let me just say that I gave this album 3 stars based on the fact that I appreciate the fact that Kanye kept his word and created an absolutely chaotic and polarizing album that has little to no chance of any form of mainstream success. With that said, listeners will either love or hate the album and I highly suggest you preview it before spending your hard earned money on it.

Now, many critics and some die hard Kanye fans are raving that this album is a "classic", a "game changer" and "revolutionary"; that Kanye is taking it to "the next level", "an artistic genius", and "a rap god"... I won't argue that the album is definitely on another level but to call it a game changer and a classic, well a couple things are wrong about this:

First off, the album seemed very dark and schizophrenic to me. If you haven't heard it yet, let me try to paint a picture of it for you: Imagine being in a large dark warehouse, the air heavy with the sweet/putrid scent of sweat and blood; your head is pounding with the sounds of heavy bass and distorted grimy synth echoing to atmospheric sounds of heavy breathing and manic screeching that sends shivers down your spine and grates at you like the sounds of a dying pig. After what seems like an eternity of relentless sonic assaults on your eardrums, the noise abruptly stops and and the silence is filled with the sounds of an old vinyl record and the scratchy soundtrack to an old jazz song your grandfather used to listen to when you were a kid. Your heart begins to calm down, you relax and begin to enjoy the music and nostalgic memories it brings when the record suddenly scratches and your ears are assaulted once again with the chaotic cacophony that is now known simply as Yeezus.

Like I said before, you will either love it or hate it, and the album is definitely different than any mainstream hip hop, or album you've heard. Now, the fact that critics are hailing Kanye for his creativity, however, does bother me. The fact is, that the majority of the tracks were not produced by Kanye, and the ones that were, share the credits with at least two other producers. His lyrics on the album are fairly weak and his days of socially conscience rap are gone, replaced with crude lyrics littered with racial epitaphs and misogyny. One could argue that Eminem built his career on this type of lyricism but one also has to remember that his Relapse Album was one of his worst to date...even according to him. Now with an album title like Yeezus and a song called "I Am A God", I was hoping for more of a solid concept to the album, similar to J Cole's Born Sinner (definitely worth buying). However, both titles like the rest of the album fell short of "genius" for me and seem to be created more for controversy and album sales rather than commentary and story telling. And like the overall album, everything feels extremely disjointed and out of place. Some critics are saying that the album seamlessly alternates through genres, I call it abrupt and polarizing breakdowns that feel like there is no rhyme or reason to the madness.

Some people will tell you that the album needs to be absorbed and listened to a couple times before the genius of the project sets in, and here's where I will argue with those who are saying that the album is an "instant classic". A "classic" is something that immediately grabs you the moment you hear it, something that instantly makes you smile, get out of your seat and dance like there's no tomorrow. A classic is something that you can play 20 years from now and still feel the exact same excitement as when you first heard it. Yeezus is not a classic nor anywhere near "album of the year." I highly doubt that any other artist will follow in Kanye's footsteps on this one and this is definitely not the new face of hip hop nor was it meant to be. This album was and is a big F-You to the industry. A dark joke if you will, created by a mad artist teetering on the edge of insanity/genius. Just like the documentary "Exit Through The Gift Shop", Yeezus proves that regardless of whether or not your creation is good or not, it will sell on the basis of the artist's reputation and popularity. The album is definitely worth listening to simply because it is so out there. Will I listen to it again? Probably not. But if I did, my top picks from the album would be New Slaves, Blood on the Leaves and maybe Bound 2 (which, by the way, is a horrible closer to the album in my opinion).

4.0 out of 5 stars I hate him, but he still knows how to make a record, January 19, 2014
Aaron Widera (Long Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yeezus (Audio CD)
I've been listening to Kanye since the beginning, before he became fodder for TMZ. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was a masterpiece, even though I hated to admit it because of his public persona. I resisted buying Yeezus because of how ridiculous his public persona has become. But I eventually caved in, and although this is not a masterpiece, it still may be his second or third best (after Graduation perhaps). Kanye is not a great rapper, but he is a great producer and knows how to construct a song that is sonically intriguing. He also knows that a shorter album length makes for a better and more repeatable listening experience.- Aaron Widera

4.0 out of 5 stars KANYE DOES IT AGAIN, March 1, 2014
This review is from: Yeezus [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
This album seems to have caused the most mixed reviews I have seen between Kanye fans. But my take on it is that it is a overall a great album. Kanye really pushes hip/rap music sound in this album. Using beats that are even unusual for Kanye. This album was bound to receive criticism because it is coming after one of Kanyes greatest album "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy". Kanyes flow and beat selection I thought was on point. The only con I can come up with is that sometimes the content in the songs seemed meaningless.

Overall a album that you have to listen to and make a judgement for yourself!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, February 19, 2014
This review is from: Yeezus [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
Kanye definitely went in a new direction with this album. He still has solid, beat-based songs, but he goes in a newer, broader direction with his music. It was obviously made to listen to while under the influence of drugs, because the beats are somewhat psychedelic. The album itself is pretty short, about a half hour, so consider the price-to-music ratio before buying this product. I do recommend the Yeezus album to rap fans, but Eminem's MMLP2 has a more old-school rap rhythm.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far ahead of his time, but often still stuck in his teens., January 7, 2014
This review is from: Yeezus (Audio CD)
I happen to believe that Kanye West is a true genius and a true visionary. His music, mixes and arrangements are truly extraordinary. There is no one else recording now who does what he does with melodies and layering of sounds. He packs so much into one selection that it takes countless listens to hear all of the nuances he has strung together. However, the one thing one would have thought he had grown out of is still evident on the aural genius of Yeezus: his preoccupation with p****y. I don't know whether he still thinks of himself as a 14 year old boy or whether he believes that is his target audience, but many times his lyrics just flat get in the way. Often his lyrics smack of misogyny. I know he loved his mom and now he has a little girl. Perhaps the next offering from him will be more sophisticated in terms of words; his music has already been there for quite a while. Kanye West is an important artist with a huge platform. Although he writes about social injustice, he loses his impact by continually falling back into lyrics about the baser mechanics of sex. He should be SCREAMING about injustice, poverty and yes, hope. Instead, he is still stuck in the "me and my d**k and what hole can I stick it in" mode. Grow up, Kanye! You are a MAN; not a child. You have so much to say, so SAY IT.

1.0 out of 5 stars MY EARS ARE BLEEDING., July 23, 2014
This review is from: Yeezus (Audio CD)
Okay I just want to take a moment to say I did not buy ever, but Google had it for free download several months ago. I previewed every song on Google Play before even downloading it and the songs just got worse as the album went on. I used to be a big fan of Kanye when we first started making music. But this album is pure garbage. I highly doubt there is anyone out there that understands it.It shouldn't even have a monetary value.

Yeezus
Yeezus by Kanye West (Audio CD - 2013)