5.0 out of 5 stars Striking images
Published on December 12, 2008 by Mnah Mnah

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I was so excited by Scout's interview on the Charlie Rose program I immediately knew this book was going to be part of my growing Obama Historical Collection. My exctied trip to the bookstore left me very disappointed. The photographs were absolutely incredible. I was inspired all over again as I viewed the campaign from the very beginning.

However, I was so...
Published on January 27, 2009 by Sun Goddess

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Striking images, December 12, 2008
Mnah Mnah (Los Angeles, California United States) - See all my reviews
This is the best commemorative book for the election I've seen so far. The photographer has an unusual eye, and most of her images are not the sort of thing that was being regularly printed in newspapers and magazines during the campaign. Most of the photos are of press events or rallies, and there's not much from behind the scene (which is a shame). Many of the best photos are of ordinary supporters who are completely overwhelmed by meeting/seeing him. I've left this on my coffee table, and most visitors are drawn to it right away. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars So many people on the edges, December 12, 2008
We don't learn how she got her laundry done, but it's a wonderful ride through Scout Tufankjian's Yes We Can. Her writing moves along and is specific: "Every single event [in New Hampshire] was wildly overcrowded, and on one occasion the fire marshal wouldn't even let the traveling press in." And in Berlin, "I am young enough that it was a shock to see Europeans waving American flags." As for the photos, has anyone captured Michelle Obama's hope for her husband as well as in the picture on pages 24 and 25, in Waterloo, Iowa? This is Pulitizer stuff. Another favorite is of two little girls, one holding an Obama doll, as they sit and whisper together at an event in McKeesport, Pennsylvania. When people come into our Austin house and pick this book up, they do not put it down. Someone always grabs it away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving and beautiful, December 10, 2008
At the tail end of a long presidential campaign, it's easy to become inured to the power of the image of the "ordinary voter." So it's all the more impressive that this book manages to depict the people who came to watch Barack Obama speak in ways that do honor to their commitment and their emotion. There are some dreamily intimate shots of Obama himself, including one sweet pic co-starring an ice-cream cone, but for my money, the best pictures in the book are the shots of military families, African-American schoolchildren, and Tufankjian's fellow photographers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, December 12, 2008
I just received my shipment of this book and immediately began to review it. I ended up reading the book cover to cover. It has a good balance between pictures and narrative portions. It was great to see the hope, optimism, and pride captured in the faces of the people photographed at the rallies, restaurants, etc. Viewing the pictures reminded me of the events and feelings that I experienced over the past two years of the campaign. One thing --I would have liked to see a picture of the Obama family in Chicago on the stage after the victory included. This is a book to savor and to take time studying each photo. The photographs were detailed and spoke volumes. I am glad that I had the foresight to purchase (in advance)enough books to give as gifts to my children and grandchildren. I am certain that this book will "fly" off the shelves once the word gets out. It is a wonderful keepstake. Thank you Scout for your work in recording this historical time in American history. It is definitely work to be proud of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Un moment ou les Etats-Unis sont, pour la première fois depuis longtemps, un exemple., December 24, 2008
A tourner les pages de "Yes we can", on entend la chanson du même nom "Yes we can ... to justice and equality ...», et on voit la campagne de Barack Obama se transformer : des petites assemblées de l'Iowa à la convention de Denver et enfin au Grant Park. Scout Tufankjian éclaire la rencontre entre un homme et une nation, le mouvement qui se cristallise autour de Barack Obama et en fait son incarnation. Un moment ou les Etats-Unis sont, pour la première fois depuis longtemps, un exemple. Et un grand travail de photojournalisme.

5.0 out of 5 stars FOREVER KEEPSAKE!!, January 10, 2009
I enjoyed this book so very much. the pictures were amazing. it was like watching history in the making. i hope to keep this book in my family for future generations. as a black american, i was overwhelmed with emotion. i bought a copy for my 75 year old cousin too!

i recommend this book for all americans who sought "CHANGE"!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, January 27, 2009

However, I was so disappointed with the publishing/editing of the photos.
So many of them were poorly placed in the book by the publisher. I could not truly appreciate the wonderful work done by Scout because of the placement of the pictures. The large photos were spread between 2 pages and really couldn't be enjoyed.

I desperately wanted this book, but couldn't bring myself to buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique & Heartfelt Photos of the Obama Campaign, December 14, 2008
Scout Tufankjian has compiled an amazing photojournalistic book of the Obama campaign. The photos in the book truly speak for themselves - as one cannot help but sense a connection to the emotion in each of the respective photos.

These photos not only chronicle Obama's journey, but the journey of his family, and the journey of the American people who entrusted their hope and dreams in Barack Obama as he campaigned for the Presidency of the United States.

A fabulous, must-have, compelling book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, You Can Buy This Book And YOU Should!, January 6, 2009
Martin J. Rafanan (St. Louis, MO United States) - See all my reviews
The best pictorial of the Obama campaign on the market. Starting with a recalcitrant photographer, we find out step-by-step how hope can be built individually and among a people. A picture is indeed worth a thousand words, and this book's pictures say more than a library of books. Yes, you can and should buy this book. It will not only grace your coffee-table but your psyche as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best photo series on the Obama 2008 campaign!, January 25, 2013
Dave (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
As a volunteer on the ground during the 2008 Obama campaign, this was such a powerful book for me.

It is a great value on Amazon, as it is not priced very reasonably.

A great gift for any friend or family member that was part of the 2008 campaign.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Yes We Can: Barack Obama's History-Making Presidential Campaign
Yes We Can: Barack Obama's History-Making Presidential Campaign by Scout Tufankjian (Hardcover - December 1, 2008)
$29.95 $26.96