4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully instructive
Published on June 15, 2000 by MarvelousMarla

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what you'd expect.
If you're looking for a good biography, this is the place. Unfortunately I was not aware of this before I bought the book. I didn't find it at all helpful in shedding light unto my own problems. Her lifestory is intersting, however, a biography was not what I was shopping for.
Published on April 12, 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully instructive, June 15, 2000
It took me a while to finish this book because of its sheer emotional impact. It starts with a wonderful poem that describes the shedding tears that had long been held back. Iyanla lays herself bare before her readers and revisits her coming of age. With the harsh life that this woman endured -- sexual abuse, teen pregnancy, spousal abuse, poverty -- it is amazing that she emerged with her sanity, let alone the ability to minister to others.
The author draws upon her experiences to show her audience how to look for lessons in life's unpleasantness. She showed us how her upbringing caused her to internalize some damaging messages from her cruel grandmother, absentee father and an array of abusive lovers. The author explains her transformation from the much-abused Rhonda, to Iyanla the Yoruba Priestess and acclaimed author. And she does it in such a way that the readers know that they too can transcend their circumstances.
I found myself in tears a couple of times while reading this book. Tears may sometimes be viewed as a sign of weakness, but this is a tome about strength and courage. I applaud Iyanla's courage and thank her for sharing her wisdom.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE DAY I CRIED!, February 25, 2000
I had heard about vanzant through a number of people. Even though at the time I was still a skeptic I went and got the audio version. I would listen to it around the house but after a couple of minutes I had to give Iyanla my full attention. It as if she had watch my my entire preteen life (being that I am 19). To make a long story short it was as if she was speaking directly to me. Iyanla made me really believe that even though thing were not good in the past don't mean they have to be that way in the future. After I finished crying with her I put the past in the past and went our and enrolled in college. I am now in the middle of my sophomore year and in a few years I will have a degree in accounting. Most importantly I will be able to prove a better life for my son. Thank you so much Iyanla for giving me the push I needed to go ahead and face who I was so that I can see who I can be. P.S. I am no longer a skeptic

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - A must read for every woman, November 15, 1999
This book is breath taking. For Iyanla to go thru such trials in her life, it is truly amazing that she still exsist. Her strength and determination is a lesson for all. I was so moved by each chapter, at times I just held the book to my chest and sighed. A lesson in the hard knocks of life that everyone human being can learn from. Excellent, excellent, excellent. Iyanla has moved me to the very core of my soul. I have highlighted special excerpt that I can use to reflect on my daily situations. Just a very inspiring book and a must for all to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I cried!, I couldn't breathe, and I laughed!, December 11, 1999
Ella (New Mexico) - See all my reviews
I could not believe it! I had not read a book in ten years and all of a sudden, what I held in my hand, I could not put down. This book should be read by anyone and everyone! especially those who have endured tough and awful times and learned how to "grow" because of those times. What I felt is best said, "Thank You Iyanla"! and may God continue to bless you!

5.0 out of 5 stars A blessing in Disguise!, February 2, 2005
When I first time i picked up the book and began to read the preface and the introduction I felt that this book was to boring for me, so I put the book down. The second time I picked up the book I decided to skim through the book and the little parts that I read made the book seem interesting to me so I started reading at chapter one and by the end of the day I had completed the book. This book really helped me deal with a lot of things that I had piled up in the back of my mind. I had so much stuff piled up that my body began to shut down (which was it's way of telling me it couldn't pile up any more stuff) and I figured that it was time to Remember, Loose, and Let go of those things. From this book I learned that I to was a people pleaser who was afraid to deal with confrontation. I would do What ever it took to get people's aproval. Not only that I had several disorders: attachment, emotional, etc. I also felt the need to be loved, which caused me to do all sorts of crazy things. But reading this book has helped me to confront my demons. It has allowed me the ability to find peace and security within myself that I may become a very successful person later on in life.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book moved me deeply and helped me grieve..., February 16, 2001
First off, I haven't even finished the book. I have about 15 pages to go but this book has affected me deeply and I couldnt help myself. I wanted to publicly thank Iyanla and say that if I ever meet you in person, I just want to give you a big long hug and celebrate Rhonda's triumphs and ability to survive and become Iyanla. There's a point in the book where Iyanla describes her proudest acheivement and she said it was being able to tell her Aunt that her uncle had molested her(she was a child at the time). Well, I just lost it at that point. I wept for Iyanla, Rhonda and anyone who had ever been abused.I agree with the reviewer who said: "I will NEVER say that my life has been hard after reading this book." I cried so many times for Rhonda, while reading this book. I felt so much sympathy and empathy for her pain. Most importantly, I have had some of the most painful experiences in my life happen over the last 2 months to the point where I can't believe anything worse could happen to me. I needed to grieve a death and the loss of a relationship and many things. This book helped me grieve and release my pain through tears.And in Iyanla's defense(to the people who were dissappointed with this book), I LOVED that this book was an autobiography.To me it made the book so much more than a self help book. I believe she does not need to end every chapter with the lesson laid out. During the chapters she brings up the "questions" that she asked herself during her struggle. I think that she wants you, the reader to ask yourself the same questions if they apply, and come up with your own answers. Her lessons are HER lessons, yours will be yours. I love this book. Thank you Iyanla, from the bottom of my heart. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Read! Iyanla gives out Life Lessons!, April 9, 1999
By A Customer
Although I have not experienced all the abuses and the hardships that Iyanla has...this book is totally relatable. Either you have or someone you know has been through similar journeys. From physical abuse to mental abuse. As a woman, I have been in relationships when it the time has come to let go, but I wanted it to work soooo bad that I held on. That is the wrong thing to do! Iyanla explains why. Iyanla tells her story in a brutally honest forum. I have recommended this book to several of my girlfriends. I think its a MUST read. Healing means to acknowledge the past and embrace it and move on. If you want inspiration and you want to learn about healing, reconcilliation and personal strength---this book is THE ONE! Everyone might not like the book or embrace it, but if you do "get it" your life will forever be changed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A triumph of a story, February 16, 2000
Christina (Rosemeadow, Australia) - See all my reviews
Written in a simple almost fictional style, Yesterday I cried is a book that all of us can relate to on one level or another. Iyalna tells us of the almost unbearable hardships that she went through as a child and how it affected her up until the present day, don't think it is just another sob story though, remember its intention is motivation not deactivation. She makes turning your life to the positive sound real. A very easy read. Only if you are open and ready to use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful, thoughtful book, February 16, 2005
Heard YESTERDAY, I CRIED by Iyanla Vanzant . . . it is a powerful memoir by the best-selling author (known to regular OPRAH viewers) who has had an amazing and difficult life . . . yet I never got the feeling she was ever painting herself as a victim; rather, it seemed she was writing to help work out her problems . . . and, in doing so, she was showing me how I could work out mine.

As she notes, "Life is about clearing up the crap and, while you're doing it, being OK with the fact that you have to do it."

However, she cautions: "You can't get caught up in the crap! If you do, you will surely lose sight of the real meaning of life and lose your self."

The cassette version concludes with a magnificent rendition of "Today," a song written and performed by Terry Bradford.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2 Days!, January 22, 2000
Thats how long it took my to read all 300 some odd pages of Iyanla's powerful and touching masterpiece. I could not put the book down, I thought if I did the story would go on without me. In "Yesterday I Cried" Iyanla recounts her life and how she truimphed over her haunting past and lets the reader know "Hey, you can do the same. Whatever you are experiencing is only temporary, you can grow through it."

Yesterday, I Cried: Celebrating the Lessons of Living and Loving (New York)
Yesterday, I Cried: Celebrating the Lessons of Living and Loving (New York) by Iyanla VanZant (Mass Market Paperback - August 7, 2001)
$7.99