4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, just not quite a cintiq
Published on February 18, 2012 by Brian

Had this a couple of weeks now and here is my initial impression.

Pros: Less than $500 with shipping.
It is a good looking monitor with a sharp, colorful image on the screen. The case is well made and has a quality feel to it.
Mine came with a snazzy adjustable stand that is quite well made and does it's job.
Pen has a nice spring action...
Published on February 12, 2012 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, just not quite a cintiq, February 18, 2012
This review is from: Yiynova MSP19 Tablet Monitor,VESA Stand(Windows only) (Personal Computers)
It's amazing how little coverage there is of this product. I am an artist in the video game industry and I've been using a Wacom intuos 3 for a long time now. I have always wanted a cintiq but for the same reason most of you are on this page, I don't want to shell out the two grand. So I gave this one a shot. The screen size is fine at 19 inches for me but the resolution leaves a little to be desired (currently highest is 1440 x 900)

The pen uses a AAA battery (again, doesn't bother me but worth noting) you turn it on and off with the "eraser" button on the top of the pen like a ballpoint pen basically.

Accuracy is fine with the Yiynova but not as smooth as cintiq. If you make slow, minute strokes with it you will notice that the cursor moves almost like its on a little grid; with Cintiq, this is much more fine. I tend to paint pretty close to things and with faster strokes so I never really notice it but its there.

Pressure sensitivity is the same depth as an Intuos 3 (1024) and it feels about the same. The pen tip goes into the pen much further than a wacom stylus does so you get a bit of a squishy feel when pushing down that is different if you have been using wacom for ever but not necessarily bad. The actual painting feel of the pressure sensitivity is fine, there isn't any brush lag or bad depth reading.

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST DRIVERS. What comes with the product are old. There are known issues with it when you first install it working with 64 bit programs like windows 7, 64 bit photoshop, etc. But if you go to waltop.com and download the latest drivers this will take care of everything. There were some pen sensitivity issues too that went away as soon as I got the latest drivers.

Overall I give this thing four stars. I have been using it every day for a few weeks now and it is still much better than using my Intuos 3. It may be a little rough around the edges compared to a cintiq but at 500 dollars, I can live with that. Most of the differences this product has, you get used to in the first few days any way. I would still buy a cintiq if I had the money simply because it is the top product and feels so great, but the Yiynova is a very strong competitor and I think any artist knows that competition against Wacom should be welcome so we aren't forced to pay an arm and a leg for tools or hope one day we can afford one.

For more info on it check out my youtube post on it...

[...]

2.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price but not a Cintiq and collecting dust after a year, February 12, 2012
Had this a couple of weeks now and here is my initial impression.

Pros: Less than $500 with shipping.
Pen has a nice spring action tip and pressure sensitivity is amazingly good.
Pen is relatively well made for a battery pen, about the same feel and heft as my Intuos II

Cons: Screen glass is thick and seems quite durable, could use this as a table top if you wanted. The glass and the space between
the surface and the actual screen is close to 1/4 of an inch, the parallax is huge. You will have to keep your eyes directly
over the pen tip for any sort of accuracy.
Pen accuracy is not even close to even the cheapest Wacom. Usable, yes, but not anywhere near professional grade.
Sticky pixels, what I mean by this is hard to describe but essentially it means as you move the pen diagonally across
the screen,the pixels will stay on the row or column far longer than the pen tip making for an even more jaggy line than
normal. Neither my Intuos II or my cheap Monoprice tablet do this. Someone mentioned the pressure setting being too high but it doesn't make a difference on my unit. Take a ruler and draw on the screen and it is a drunken meandering mess. My cheap ghetto phone has a better digitizer.
Drivers are primitive to say the least. After a year of fighting this failbox, it is now collecting dust in the attic.

Neutral: Screen is shiny and reflects everything in the room. Don't notice it when it's on but I can almost use it as a mirror when
it's off.
Battery pen with no eraser; I never use the eraser so I couldn't care less. Others might.
Uses a VGA plug but doesn't come with a DVI or HDMI adaptor. VGA is so 1998.
Don't expect other battery pens to work with this, the screen will track just fine but it won't register pressure.

Bottom Line: If you are a professional artist, don't expect a Wacom if you buy this. Is it usable? Yes, once you get used to it's idiosyncrasies I suppose. For $500 you can get a Motion Computing 1700LE tablet used and get a much more accurate and refined experience if you don't mind the much smaller screen. The Yiynova is ideally suited more for digital coloring than pixel by pixel detail work in my opinion. Coupling the LCD with a regular tablet seems to work better for me, high accuracy with the Wacom and broad coloring with the Yiynova.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stick it to Wacom, go Yiynova, August 31, 2012
Let's cut to the chase, shall we?

This tablet is flawed. The drivers with the CD, as others have stated, are outdated. You have a choice of getting your PenPad drivers from either the Yiynova website, or alternatively there is a slightly newer version currently available from Waltop themselves. MAKE SURE YOU UNINSTALL ALL WACOM DRIVERS. I can't emphasize this enough - they can and will screw everything up and turn the hardest part (installing drivers) into a nightmare ordeal. Uninstall them, do a restart, and get the new drivers in there. Make sure you see Wacom's website for uninstall instructions, as there are additional files that you have to track down and delete to ensure they're fully gone.

After fiddling with the drivers, then comes the pen. The battery that came with mine showed up DOA, so I tried a fresh one. I can see the red 'on' light flash briefly when screwing the two components of the pen stylus together, but didn't find out until about an hour of frustration that you must screw the pen TIGHTLY together - do it with the pen on so you can see the red light come on and stay on when you've sufficiently tightened the barrel. Unfortunately, this also cascades into the rubber grip popping the side buttons slightly out of place when you're tightening it. A minor annoyance, easily corrected by shifting the rubber grip and gently pressing the buttons back into place, but still a bit of a design flaw that could be much improved upon.

I also noticed, with much confusion, that the on-screen tablet does not work outside of art programs like Paint Tool SAI and Adobe Illustrator. The cursor simply goes dead until you use a mouse to click back into one of those programs and then the on-screen tablet comes back to life. I'm not sure if this is how it's supposed to react or if there are still some issues regarding the drivers.

In spite of all this, you may notice that I still gave the tablet 4 stars. When the tablet works, it works very well. I've been spoiled by the pressure sensitivity of the Intuos4 for several years now, but the tradeoff of pressure for the ease and boost in productivity I've seen since working on the MSP19 is so worth it. It takes some getting used to if you've never worked with an on-screen tablet, but the learning curve is not steep at all. There is some discrepancy between where the tip of your pen is and where the cursor is on the screen, but you'll encounter this even with Cintiqs and I grew accustomed to it very quickly - just within an hour or two of initial use.

Weight-wise, the monitor has a bit of heft to it, but it's not unmanageable. The adjustable stand in the back is a very nice addition, and I've found that this tablet rests comfortably in my lap if I need to get up close. It's easy to pick up and move around as needed if you don't want to buy the adjustable stand add-on. My only lament is the lack of hotkey buttons, which I hope will be included in future models.

If you're like me and you're agonizing on whether to go with the 10" model or the 19", stop wondering and spring for the 19". It's a third of the price of the newest (and smallest) Cintiq models with highly comparable specs. You have more space to make wide, sweeping gestures, and you will save yourself a lot of pain and hand cramping since you have a ton of real estate to work with.

Despite its shortcomings, I am extremely happy with this tablet and hope to see the company take their success further into the future with better, sleeker, and more responsive models. Wacom could use some healthy competition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Alternative, December 19, 2011
As a comic book artist on a budget, I gotta say that the Yiynova MSP19 is a good alternative to those expensive Wacom monitors. Calibration is easy and you have to tweak the pen settings so you can feel comfortable working on any design software. I'm still tweaking it so I can work on Photoshop CS5 comfortably but I'm getting there. I'm currently coloring some comic strips in CS5 with it and so far so good. It works perfectly with Illustrator CS3, Painter 12 and Gimp. It gets kind of glitchy with Manga Studio EX 4 but I'm sure there's a way to fix.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just got mine, August 24, 2012
Looking for one to replace my color shifting Cintiq 21. This is a really good replacement product.

1st, the LED is very pleasant and bright.way better than the Wacom product.
2nd, the unit is MUCH lighter than the Wacom product, So I can actually hold it in my arm and paint, would not imagine doing that on the Cintiq, my old wacom was on an articulated arm.
3rd, The stand work very well, easily goes up and down. Highly functional without a lot of unnecessary parts and pieces.
4th, The pen sensitivity is on par with the wacom unit. but granted I do most of my work in 3D studio Max and bring it into photoshop to do touch ups. So I am not one to draw a whole piece of artwork from sketch.. for my needs, it works just as good as the wacom unit.

Yes you can tell it's not a $2500 unit, but it's no slouch either, the unit fell simple but not cheap. it doesn't have all the bells and whistle like the wacom units, but I am an owner of 3 tablets from wacom, and I rarely use the touch strips. I'm old school keyboard jockey.

The following are a bit of cons, but none to me a deal breaker.
1, It offer slightly lower resolution (1400 by 900). Does Photoshop fine for me.including portrait touch ups.
2, The Pen stand is in a weird place behind the monitor, kinda weird...
3, Cord management is on the left side, could be refined in future lines.

Overall Highly recommended, the simplicity makes you think why does Wacom have to come up with so many things to justify their price? where most everybody just needed a simple function. The lack of all the "trimming" , make this a more "modern" product. even looks better than the Cintiq IMHO.

Peace, Hope y'all get one. You won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cintiq alternative for the artist on a budget, February 15, 2012

I'm a freelance Illustrator / Flash Animator and I've been using Wacom products for as long as I can remember. However the steep price tag on the Wacom Cintiq 21UX and my current economic situation forced me to search for an alternative.

PROS:

1. Screen size 19"
2. Anti scratch glass surface
3. Price
4. Easy set up (once you install updated drivers)

CONS:

1. pen uses "AAA battery" (( This isn't a real issue for me. There is an on off button on the pen to conserve battery life ))
2. Comes with outdated drivers (( I recommend downloading updated drivers from Yiynova.com or Waltop.com ))
3. Stand doesn't rotate (( Considering the cheap price tag I'm looking to purchase an ERGOTRON LX Desk Mount LCD Arm on Amazon ))

CLOSING COMMENTS:

After many months of research for a WACOM Cintiq alternative the Yiynova MSP 19 did NOT disappoint. All pros outweigh the cons. Drawing on this does take getting used to but I don't really consider them "CONS" because I had to get used to my Wacom Bamboo tablet as well. Over all I am very pleased with this product nothing quite beats drawing on screen. If you have the money ($2K) and don't want any CONS then by all means get a Cintiq. I like the fact that I don't need a money bin like uncle Scrooge Mcduck (Duck Tales) to afford this. It's a great Cintiq alternative for the artist on a budget.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, August 9, 2012
I had trouble finding a way to get this product in Canada. I contacted the seller, and they were easy to work with, and ended up paying $635 with express shipping, and import fees. The product arrived in perfect shape, and within a couple days. So far it seems good, but I am still learning, and it takes some fiddle work, so I cannot give an accurate rating on the product as of yet. 1 positive thing I can add is that the seller will test the monitor before shipping, which is nice, because it can avoid a serious headache. I would recommend to any artist not ready to spend $3000 on a Cintiq.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow up after a month of usage, on September 8th, 2012

I am finally starting to love this product more, now that I've tried it with a trial version of Adobe Illustrator CS6! I seriously spend about 12 hours a day playing with their new blob brush, and eraser. Once you can find a program that can work with your brain, you will find Yiynova works great.

I started off with Autodesk Sketchbook which was sort of fun for a few dollars, but had some flaws. I am not the best sketcher in the world, but could make things happen with the program, which made me want to get better at the talent.

As for Corel Painter 12, it made my life a complete nightmare, and I actually hated my Yiynova, because I never did accomplish anything even remotely simple with the program. I Spent over 2 weeks wanting to play with it, but I basically decided it wasn't worth the stress of trying to figure out 1000 different reasons why nothing works properly, or consistently, and eventually cut my losses. All the power to people who love the Corel products, but I will not be going back for more in this lifetime.

That being said, I had zero errors getting started with Adobe, and I can't wait to buy the new Adobe Illustrator CS6, because I finally get results while using my Yiynova! I personally find Adobe products more user friendly, but that doesn't mean you have to love it, or that I am an expert on the situation.

I am definitely happy with my purchase, now that I actually get a feeling of accomplishment with the product. If you can find a program that allows you to let your creative juices flow, you will love this product. I've gone from hating life, to feeling like I'm in love, now that I can actually play with the product, and appreciate it for what it's really worth. This is the best 600 bucks I've ever spent! It will actually save you money because you will not leave the house, or have time to waste money.

Last but not least, I bought a "Lx Desk Mount Lcd Arm, Tall Pole", and find that the 2 products are compatible with each other, and I like the option of being able to sit or stand while working. It has fairly good movement, but isn't perfect. The Yiynova 19" comes with a stand, but I never took the time to give it a fair try. However, I am sure you can make good use of it, depending on your preference.

I now rate this 5 STARS!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, October 11, 2012
As an animation student at UArts I've had ample experience with the Cintiq and was saving to buy one until I stumbled across the Yiynova.

I did my homework and made the purchase. I have used it for close to a year now and am more than satisfied. Vector based programs work best. Don't even think about line art in Photoshop. Coloring is great, though.

It's not the Cintiq but the 1,500 in my pocket make that easy to forget. It's a durable product with excellent usability.

3 stars compared to Cintiq plus one star for being a quarter the price and Mac compatiblility.

4.0 out of 5 stars After a few days, September 4, 2012
The Yiynova 19 is a decent alternative to the Wacom Cintiq line. I've been using it for a few days for my freelance artwork and it's certainly very fun to use and feels more natural than having to gaze at your screen while you move a pen, out of your line of sight, to control your mouse cursor.

The screen is large and detailed. The colors as well as the brightness, lose clarity as you change viewing angles. It's clearest when viewed head on. Although annoying, it still functions well enough at any angle.

The drivers on the included disk are out dated and conflict with any previously installed Wacom drivers on my computer. To solve this I had to not only visit a third party site for updated drivers, I also had to uninstall the drivers for me previous tablet. (The Wacom Bamboo MTE 450.) After a few minutes and a screen calibration, I had everything up and running.

I keep my Yiynova 19 on a table top and the included "VESA" stand holds the tablet without a worry of falling over. I like that it came installed on the back already rather than having to remove the previous stand that I'm used to seeing in review videos.

I use paint tool SAI for my work, and this tablet has increased my working speed dramatically. It's fun to use and productive. I'm happy with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not too shabby, March 21, 2012
I am also a student in the gaming industry and i have owned a few wacom products and have been pretty pleased with every one of them. I have also purchased cheaper tablets and was pretty disappointed in the accuracy and quality of the product. I was skeptical at first, as much as i needed a cintiq the money wasn't there, but i finally decided to buy this thing. It has a standard battery operated stylus...I hate those things.Imagine writing on a glass window with a ball point pin that's what this thing felt like at first. It made streaks across the canvas for no reason at all in Photoshop cs5 and manga studio also, it was weird. I use windows seven and the drivers that come with it suck. Don't bother going to there site unless you want an outdated one, and if you purchase this please, please, download them online. As much as I hate battery operated stylus's I have to say, after downloading the right driver and calibrating it to its full potential, this thing is pretty awesome. It takes a while to get use to if your used to using an intuos like me. The big bright screen and sturdiness of the msp 19 makes it a nice quality product, and no its not a cintiq but for $499 and free shipping its pretty damn close. I will say that the bottom does generate quite a bit of heat but nothing compared to cintiq 24 so it was expected. Ive had it for a week and use it everyday and have been creating great artwork with it I love it. I still use my intuos 4 for 3d design but as for concept art and other 2d artwork this is a great cintiq alternative.