NOTE: I received a free copy of this book to review for the web site Metapsychology Online Reviews; you can read a more detailed version of my review on that site.

Published on February 22, 2012 by doctor_beth

2.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly unsatisfied
Published 21 months ago by yana

2.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly unsatisfied, March 30, 2013
This review is from: Yoga Anatomy-2nd Edition (Paperback)
I don't understand how this book has gotten such good reviews to be honest. I bought this book hoping to get the basics of anatomy so that I could deepen my scientific understanding of asana. I have found this book useless in that regard. The authors take absolutely no effort in laying out the major skeletal and muscle groups, they don't talk about the joints, they don't give any basic anatomical terms. However, they do spend a whole section talking about how they went about getting the images in the book. WEIRD. They just jump into using, what was for me, advanced anatomical terminology - which I was given no understanding of by them. Seems careless. I have tried to use the book and it just doesn't work for someone who has never studied anatomy. I'm really disappointed.

I went on to purchase Ray Long's book on yoga anatomy and am so excited about it. I have learned so much. He takes time to lay out all of the basic terms and explains the way the bones, muscles, and joints function physiologically and in relationship to asana. I recommend that book very highly if you are a beginner and want to get a good, simple foundation in anatomy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Graphics are way too small on the Kindle version--buy the paper book., March 20, 2013
This is a 5 star book, but the Kindle version is lacking. Since this is a book all about the illustrations, I would not recommend the Kindle version at all!
I've adjusted my settings using every method I can find. The text changes, but the graphics always look like a postage stamp. Even with reading glasses it is very difficult to see the callouts and text inside the images.

I wish I could trade this in and order the paperback version:(

5.0 out of 5 stars Updated manual details muscular and skeletal functions involved in yoga asanas, February 22, 2012
This review is from: Yoga Anatomy-2nd Edition (Paperback)

YOGA ANATOMY is one of a series of anatomical guides from the Human Kinetics; Each manual in this series provides detailed, full-color illustrations of the muscles involved in particular movements. What is particularly unique about the wonderful anatomical illustrations is that they are based on photographs of actual yoga poses, some of which were shot from above or below as the yoga models perched on a suspended piece of acrylic (see Page 68 of the text for details).

This 2011 version is actually a second edition; the original Yoga Anatomy was released in 2007. In his Preface, first author Leslie Kaminoff notes that this latest version builds on the success of the first edition by adding in material that was deleted from the original due to space constraints. This includes two brand-new chapters by co-author Amy Matthews; Kaminoff points out that the asana sections have been completely revised by Matthews as well. These updates, along with new indexes and other improvements, add significantly to the overall volume of this edition.

The first part of this book forms a relatively brief but intensive lesson in anatomy, focusing on the movements and functions most relevant to yoga practice. Kaminoff opens with a chapter on "Dynamics of Breathing," which details the way the breath moves through the body, particularly the actions of the diaphragm. Next is "Yoga and the Spine," an essential breakdown of the spine and how it moves through various ranges of flexion and extension. The two new chapters by Matthews, "Skeletal System" and "Muscular System," follow. These short offerings describe the relevant anatomical structures and review the main principles of functioning for each system.

Kaminoff and Matthews jointly introduce the postures with "Inside the Asanas." Here they describe how the asana analysis was conducted and what information is included for each pose (e.g., skeletal joint actions, muscular joint actions, breathing notes, etc.). The asanas themselves are classified in the chapters which follow according to "Standing Poses," "Sitting Poses," "Kneeling Poses," "Supine Poses," "Prone Poses," and "Arm Support Poses." Rather than being presented completely in a narrative format, the postural breakdowns now incorporate easy-to-read graphics which quickly inform the reader which areas of the body are in contraction versus extension. The poses appear to be identical to those in the first edition, although supplementary variations are depicted here.

In addition to presenting an Asana Index both in Sanskrit and English, the new appendices include Joint and Muscle Indexes as well. With this release of Yoga Anatomy-2nd Edition, authors Kaminoff and Matthews have provided intelligent, useful enhancements to an already-excellent manual; this book may be worth the purchase even for those who already own the original release.

1.0 out of 5 stars not what I expected, May 16, 2014
DoJo.Johnson (Woodbridge, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yoga Anatomy-2nd Edition (Paperback)
This book is not bad but it is not what I expected. I have considerable background in anatomy and physiology and so I didn't feel like I learned anything new. I thought that this book will discuss the effect that the yoga poses have on the different body systems and it does not. Rather, it just shows you pictures of what muscles are involved. It also does not emphasize what muscle groups should be the focus of a posture, for people who want to improve in this area. It didn't work for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice book., December 21, 2012
This review is from: Yoga Anatomy-2nd Edition (Paperback)
The book is very good. Well written with lots of photos and illustrations. I now understand how my psoas muscle works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Use it all the time..., September 20, 2012
This review is from: Yoga Anatomy-2nd Edition (Paperback)
This is a great book for yoga beginners and teachers. I am a yoga instructor and I bought it so that I'd have an easy reference point for poses and sanskrit names. I use it often to help plan my class sequencing.

5.0 out of 5 stars yoga anatomy, December 23, 2012
This review is from: Yoga Anatomy-2nd Edition (Paperback)
I think a "must" for the yoga enthusiast or instructor!! Clear wording, detailed illustrations and description of poses. Able to go into poses more effectively, knowing which muscle groups and joint movements are responsible. Love the little extras, like showing proper pronunciation of the Sanskrit words, proper breathing in the poses and more. Top that with an excellent price!

4.0 out of 5 stars YA732ehd, March 17, 2013
I have the printed first edition of this book and I did love the anatomical focus because it gives you an excellent understanding how your body is working at every single anatomical and physiological level. In that regard you notice your accomplishment.
The Second edition involves a reorganization/reclassification of chapters base upon Asana types and also the digital portability. If you are into yoga and you want to approached it from the anatomical point of view, this is a book to keep in your library or your portable device.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots and lots of pictures, February 13, 2012
This review is from: Yoga Anatomy-2nd Edition (Paperback)
Lots and lots of pictures with a mind-numbingly large number of latin words for body parts, muscles, bones etc. If you have already taken a college level course in anatomy this would be a good reference for your yoga teaching. You can use it to with students, if they are describing pain complaints - to look up what the possible problems might be - and what yoga poses might be beneficial.

HOWEVER - if you are a yoga teacher with no prior background in biology or anatomy - you won't be able to learn anatomy from this book. It's a reference book with not much text. I liked the Ray Long anatomy for yoga for myself. In those books he rather specifically suggests poses for certain muscles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition is great for viewing images, August 20, 2013
Frank S. (Burnaby, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yoga Anatomy-2nd Edition (Paperback)
The Kindle reader allows me to zoom in on all the illustrations, so that I can see all the anatomical details.

I can make the picture even bigger than the display area of my iPad, then move the image around to focus on a particular section of the image. Well done.

Yoga Anatomy-2nd Edition
Yoga Anatomy-2nd Edition by Leslie Kaminoff (Paperback - October 28, 2011)
$19.95 $11.57