5.0 out of 5 stars Real life writing
Published on July 10, 2007 by Susan Larson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
I was looking for ideas for daily journal writing as bellwork for my middle school language arts class. I was less than impressed with this book. Many of the topics ask for lists and I want my students to write in paragraphs. I also didn't feel that it had easy, quick journal topics, in fact I didn't like most of the topics. It was not what I was expecting.
Published on September 25, 2009 by Middle Teach

5.0 out of 5 stars Real life writing, July 10, 2007
Susan Larson (Lilburn, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yoga for the Brain: Daily Writing Stretches That Keep Minds Flexible and Strong (Paperback)
I know this book was written for teachers, but as a newspaper columnist, I am often asked to conduct writing workshops for adults and teens who want to become writers. Not only do DiPrince and Thurston give hundreds of prompts for on-the-spot writing exercises, many of which help the writer practice and identify good writing techniques, but they also give 50 examples of how to get started writing in "the real world," which is what most adults in these workshops want. For years I'd done my own research and shared my own experiences concerning good places to start out writing, but this list tops anything I ever did on my own. Also, as a substitute teacher, I sometimes find I have dead time to fill and these prompts are fabulous both as fillers and as full lessons for those times teachers leave no plans. There's something in here to cover all bases and as the title implies, this book provides exercise all areas of the brain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Writing Tool!, April 11, 2006
Yoga for the Brain is a wonderful tool for teachers of writing. I use this book daily, along with Unjournaling, as journal prompts for my 6th grade students. They laugh, talk, and really get the imagination going! My kids no longer whine when it is journal time...they actually remind ME to do it! Great book to buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga for the Brain is a great workout!, August 6, 2007
Teaching students to write used to be so boring. I can remember my teachers in school saying, "Be creative!" but I was never really taught how to do that. I am now a teacher and am faced with the challenge of teaching students to be creative. Yoga for the Brain is a great addition to my writing program in that it gives the student something to base their creativity. For example one entry is "What has been a hard lesson for you to learn?" What a great idea to think about! This is not your typical sentence starter book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for Adults and Children, December 14, 2008
jamrock43 (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
I teach 4th grade. Yoga for the Brain allows children to think more creatively & out of the box. I have written with the children during writing time. We have enjoyed sharing our ideas with one another. Get this book! It's fun and thought provoking!

5.0 out of 5 stars helpful for young and old., August 17, 2008
This book has been helpful in getting writing going. Not intimidating and for all ages to use.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, September 25, 2009

4.0 out of 5 stars A good classroom resource!, May 7, 2011
Every Friday, my students complete an in-class writing prompt. This book provides many creative and engaging topics for students. My students look forward to the end of every week because they enjoy the fun, random topics, and they even are eager to share their work! This book is an excellent companion to Unjournaling, which is written by the same author. I definitely recommend both books.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of good ideas!, September 20, 2010
This book contains a lot of good ideas for journal writing. The topics are varied to reach a diverse group of students.

Yoga for the Brain: Daily Writing Stretches That Keep Minds Flexible and Strong
Yoga for the Brain: Daily Writing Stretches That Keep Minds Flexible and Strong by Cheryl Miller Thurston (Paperback - January 1, 2006)
$14.95 $13.46