5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga in Nature
The stunning beauty of the red rocks and panoramas of Oak Creek Canyon in Sedona Arizona makes this video one of the most beautiful yoga workouts to date! The blue mats are just striking against the background and that makes this quite visually pleasing.

Published on May 22, 2003 by Rebecca of Amazon

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good and bad features
I've done this DVD workout a few times, and all in all it's not a bad routine. I usually skip through much of the first part where she gives breathing instruction because it is just painfully slow. The conditioning part of the workout is actually not bad, and as many others have mentioned the ability to see the workout modified for your level is a fantastic addition...
Published on May 8, 2003 by A Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga in Nature, May 22, 2003
This review is from: Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss (DVD)

If you love exercising in the evening, this workout is perfect to promote a general feeling of well-being and relaxation. Suzanne Deason has created a calming escape you can enjoy for 45 minutes.

While I can't say for sure that you will lose weight while using this particular video, I know you can condition your body with Yoga and Pilates.

I like the combination and have many DVDs and videos. So, I recommend this in addition to all the other workouts you own. Variety seems essential in keeping us all motivated!

The theory behind this workout is that yoga can be used for therapeutic applications. Being overweight has a lot to do with an imbalance in your body's physiology and an internal disconnection between the mind and body.

If you think about when you overeat it might be when you are feeling stressed. It is much easier to keep to your healthy nutrition plan when you feel calm and in control. I also have come to believe that when we are stressed, our bodies pack on the pounds.

So, this workout gives a calmness to your being and in this way you help to control the bodies healing process.

There are four workout levels:

Complete Workout - For anyone who has experience in yoga. All you need is a yoga mat.
Slightly Modified (1/4) - To build strength and stamina.
Partially Modified (1/2) - When your flexibility improves.
Fully Modified - If you have tight hips or hamstrings, you can use a strap, bricks
and a blanket.

All the workouts contain a 10 minute "Body and Breath" warm-up section to loosen the muscles and heat the core. The breathing cues are excellent and you will find yourself enjoying the deep cleansing breaths.

This is followed by "Active Yoga Conditioning." A mirror behind you is helpful at first until you learn to moves. Or you can just do some backwards and still see the screen. Many of the poses where chosen with larger bodies in mind. This is great for people who are just starting yoga. You will notice that three of the instructors are definitely more like the "normal size" woman.

It was comforting to me to see women who modified various poses as I often have to. Instead of feeling like I could not do the poses, I felt I was reaching a level that was comfortable for me. You may also find you can do some of the poses from the advanced level and some from the modified. You feel so proud of yourself when you can finally feel comfortable doing most of the advanced poses.

Finally you enter the 14 minute cool down phase called: "Balance and Relaxation."

During the workout you might notice a Personal Instructor Icon. On my DVD control I had to select the "ok" to get this feature to work. There is also a nice way to get to various workout levels. You just press the "angle" button.

Once you watch the complete workout/combination workout, you can then figure out which level you are at. After watching the combined workout, you will more than likely enjoy just working out with one instructor. You have the choice of four instructors.

I find that my yoga and Pilates workout "moments" have become so healing and nurturing. If you wish to make your setting even more comfortable and are familiar with yoga, I would recommend a nice duvet/comforter covered in a soft fabric. Once folded in half, this gives you a nice soft padded space on which you can place your yoga mat, etc. If you need props, there is information in the pamphlet that is included with the DVD.

Think of exercise as your own private mini-vacation and suddenly exercise is something you start to look forward to. You could also walk for 30 minutes before starting these exercises or walk in the morning and do this video at night.

An exercise program for the entire mind/body/spirit connection. The 16-page full-color pamphlet also contains a mini-nutrition guide, tips on healthy eating and a weight management guide.

Develops concentration, patience, body awareness, muscle tone and a sense of emotional calm.

If you are new to Yoga, this might be the best place to start. I can also recommend "Pilates Conditioning for Weight Loss" with Suzanne Deason.

~The Rebecca Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe, Effective, Challenging, September 23, 2001
This review is from: Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss (DVD)
This is a great Yoga DVD. I would not recommend the tape as the DVD has tons of special features that allow you to not only learn each pose as you go through the workout, but also allows you to choose which level you would like to practice. Its not nearly as rigorous as Living Arts' Power Yoga series, but I like this pace a lot better because its easier for beginners to follow. "Beginner" in yoga does not necessarily mean someone who's never taken a yoga class before. Remeber, beginner in Power Yoga means someone who can balance on their hands with their feet crossed in the air!
I've been reading some of these comments that say this workout is hard to follow because Deason does not offer instructions on how to move in and out of the poses. Well, there's a little feature called "Personal Instructor" which you can turn on to interrupt the workout and show you the pose. This feature is clearly discussed in the instructions on how to use this DVD.
Give it time and learn all the cool features about this DVD. I"ve managed to lose some weight using this DVD and basically nothing else. I used to wake up and do Tae Bo or some other aerobics. Yeah, I lost weight... but I've also lost wieght doing yoga and I find that I've gained a greater focus even though I do not practice meditation.
I recommend this DVD. Its challenging, but don't let that stop you. And READ THE INSTRUCTIONS before you just press play on your DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really love this video!, February 6, 2000
My first experience with yoga was the Jane Fonda yoga workout. There were a lot of positions that were hurting my knees. In addition, I really was not getting anything out of it at all. Though yoga is not necessarily supposed to be aerobic exercise, if you don't have to work at all you won't get anything out of it. I recently started taking a yoga class, and when I did this video for the first time, the pace and some of the positions were similar to what was done in my class. This reassured me that the makers really knew what they were doing. It provides good deal of work in both stregnth and flexibility, but at the same time, there are four levels so that ou will never have to push yourself too far or risk injury. This video leaves me feeling great and I really recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Change the title, May 14, 2001
This review is from: Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss (DVD)
This is a great DVD - and I must admit that I was originally attracted by the words "Weight Loss" in the title. However, after owning it for 4 months and trying to do the sequence at least twice a week, I don't think that this workout on its own will promote weight loss. That's not to say that it wouldn't help someone as part of a balanced exercise and diet lifestyle. I just think that by having the words "weight loss" in the title means that the DVD might not appeal to those who don't want to lose weight, but just want to do a good yoga routine.
The DVD is a really good introduction to yoga. I especially like the fact that there are 4 different instructors leading the routines, which progress from a basic beginner's sequence up to Suzanne Deason herself leading a fairly advanced routine. It's good to be able to progress without having to buy more DVDs.
Suzanne is a good teacher - and she really explains the moves well. I've haven't gotten bored yet - there's enough variety in the routine. The features of the DVD are great - skipping from one section to another, changing the angle to follow a different leader, etc.
There are 3 parts to the routine - the first emphasises breathing and is good to do first thing in the morning. The "Active Conditioning" segment is also good - none of the poses are really challenging in themselves, but the length of time they are held for provides a good stretch. The cool down section is also good - I often do it separately at night.
I would definitely recommend this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect if you're new to Yoga!, April 4, 2001
This review is from: Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss (DVD)
Of course this moves slowly! This workout is geared for those who are new to Yoga. It is meant to be steady and relaxing. They move fluently from one position to the next and yet allow you time to move into the proper position and steady yourself. Also, the extra time in the poses are meant to help us beginners increase flexibility and learn stability and focus.
The workout moves from sitting to standing poses and then down to ground. The music is soothing and she not only explains the postures, but she also notes what some of the postures help with (digestion, releasing toxins, etc.).
I am happy to have this in my collection and I use it 2 times every week. I have already moved up a level from my starting. I recommended this to my mother who has had neck surgery and is not very flexible. The fully modified version will be perfect for her since the stretches are so gentle and mild.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good all around Yoga practice., July 1, 2000
"juanitop" (Framingham, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss (DVD)
I have been practicing yoga for a year and a half. What I appreciated about this yoga instruction was the varied levels. There are four levels available: Complete Workout (Text book Iyengar postures), 1/4 (slightly)modified, 1/2(partially)modified, or Fully modified. If you're someone just starting yoga or have very tight thighs and hips, the Fully modified practice can be used. If you're an experienced yoga student, you could choose the Complete Workout. If you're somewhere in between or are simply feeling a little sore or tight in certain posses, you can quickly modify the instruction to slightly or partially modified with the push of a button. (Thanks to DVD technology!) Additionally, there is clear and precise instruction concerning proper breath which is the halmark of quality yoga. Lastly, the painted desert background is very peaceful helping with focus and inner peace. If your new to yoga, and are trying decide what to buy--Get this DVD. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Beginners, June 16, 2000
By A Customer
I love this video. The pace is slow enough for you to get into the poses and feel the benefits, yet, not so slow as to be boring or a burden. The instruction is precise, the instructor's voice is pleasant, and, there are 4 women showing 4 different levels of proficiency. Don't be misled by the weight loss title, this is an excellent overall workout. As a beginner, I find this video to be doable and enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good workout- Easy to follow, November 11, 2000
By A Customer
I like this video very much because the workout is challenging yet easy to follow. The music and narration is very well done. The poses are good for a beginner like me (been practicing for about 6 mos.) and yet, I can imagine using this video when I'm much more flexible and strong. I think the twisting poses are the weakest link here, because they just don't do anything for me. Otherwise, though the poses are usually simple, you spend enough time holding them, so you build endurance and strength. This is the video that got me hooked on yoga. It reminds me of the Ali McGraw Yoga Mind & Body video which is so good. I always feel great after I've done this workout with Suzanne Deason and her three fellow instructors. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Video for Beginners!, September 8, 2000
Jessica (Brookline, MA) - See all my reviews
I thought this was a wonderful video. I loved how there were four women doing many different ability levels for each pose. I found the postures easy to master and I had only done one yoga class before buying this tape! This video really challenges you yet makes you feel comfortable right from the start. This tape was much more inviting than any other tape I have reviewed so far (I've seen four others) and the backdrop makes you wish you could be right there with them. I recommend this video with much confidence but want to stress that I didn't really find this to be a useful tool for weight loss. I think that the video should be renamed to Total Focus, Relaxation, and Flexability for Yoga Beginners!

5.0 out of 5 stars This DVD is really great, really makes you feel great!, September 27, 2005
This review is from: Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss (DVD)
I am a nearing 50 year old male who usually prefers treadmills, bikes, weightlifting, bag-punching and more "physical" workouts. I also am a lawyer, and inevitably my workouts coupled with my long hours over a desk caused me serious back problems. Yoga seemed a viable alternative to surgery (yikes!).

I bought all kinds of Yoga DVDs, some so difficult I couldn't make it through any of the "intermediate" poses without pain, and some were just so weak and unchallenging that I was bored with them, a death sentence for repeat usage. Then I got this one.

This is the very best DVD I have come accross for repeat Yoga workouts. Its slow, gentle poses are challenging (you'll sweat), but the production, Ms. Deason's exhortions to keep your form right, the music, and the "exercise" v. yoga routines are really wonderful. You look forward to doing them again and again. And as you get better, of course you'll be able to progress to more challenging programs, but this one will give you the foundation. I use it 95% of the time, and I have 12 yoga DVDs. And my back pain is gone!

p.s. It's great to see the women in the video of such different body types all looking good and doing so very well with the program.

Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss
Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss by Suzanne Deason (DVD - 2000)
$14.98 $8.37