5.0 out of 5 stars If I can only have one yoga video, I'll choose this one!
Published on July 3, 2007 by Tonja R. Nansel

2.0 out of 5 stars Very technical, no relaxation or "zen" quality whatsoever
I guess I'm in the minority but I do not like this DVD at all. I've done several of the workouts and viewed all of them. All of the workouts are basically just Sun Salutations and standing poses rearranged to fit different time frames. Some workouts have weights and bands added to them.

The main thing that bugs me about this DVD is the sterile technicality...
Published on August 12, 2008 by LCW

5.0 out of 5 stars If I can only have one yoga video, I'll choose this one!, July 3, 2007
Tonja R. Nansel (Rockville, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yoga For Weight Loss for Beginners (DVD)
Having done yoga both with videos and in a class, I found this video to be a step above most other yoga videos. It is arranged in three sections, each having multiple workouts. The first section is designed for beginners, with one section teaching a basic set of poses, and two sections with flow-style practices of varying length. That is, the poses flow from one to the next for continuous, slow movement. The pacing is great - slow enough to allow good form in each pose, but fast enough to allow you to move along with the breath, as you breath in and out. However, it is clearly not "remedial," and includes poses requiring some flexibility, balance, and strength (e.g., downward-facing dog with one leg raised, as well as some balancing poses). If someone lacks flexibility or strength, I'd definitely recommend starting instead with "Essential Yoga for Inflexible People," which a friend tells me is perfect for beginners. The second section (the one I use the most) is a little more challenging and also has several different flow-style practices that vary in focus (arms, legs, total body) and length. It's surprising how much your heart gets beating and you really feel your muscles working. They are the ideal every-day workout. The third section is an interesting twist - yoga along with light weights or a resistance band to get even more strength training work. Again, there are several different practices that vary in focus and length. Very clever and fun. The instructions on how to work in each pose are extremely well done. Usually, the biggest downside to learning yoga from a video rather than a well-conducted class is that you can't get individualized instruction, and so you can learn the poses incorrectly and not get the full benefit of the practice. However, the instruction is so well-done that I found this video to instead help me refine and improve my use of the various poses. Finally, the filming is simply beautiful, with a gorgeous ocean landscape. This is quickly becoming my favorite yoga video!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Works, October 5, 2007
This review is from: Yoga For Weight Loss for Beginners (DVD)
I have not done a lot of yoga before, but now I'm hooked.

This DVD is fantastic. It has two levels of workouts (and each level has a few workouts) - one level is for beginners and one has some more challenging poses once you are comfortable with the first level.

There is also a third section (again with a few workouts) that incorporates weights and/or a resistance band into the workout.

Not only have I lost some weight and am closer to touching my toes easily, but I have really toned up from this DVD. I would have called this DVD, "Yoga for Getting in Shape" Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, November 18, 2007
Heather (Arlington, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yoga For Weight Loss for Beginners (DVD)
What I love most about this video is that it's a bunch of videos in one. Depending on the time you have in a given day, you can always fit in one of the workouts - so no more excuses! The instruction is crystal clear and the setting is beautiful. I was skeptical about doing yoga with weights at first, but it works. And this video really teaches you, so you can eventually do the workouts on your own.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very technical, no relaxation or "zen" quality whatsoever, August 12, 2008
This review is from: Yoga For Weight Loss for Beginners (DVD)

The main thing that bugs me about this DVD is the sterile technicality of it. It was very, "Do this, then do that, now do this..." etc. There was no emphasis on breath, no time for centering yourself for a minute or so before your workout. The instructor's voice was not very relaxing to listen to either. There was very faint hint of music in the background. I like music during my yoga workouts so it was almost a tease to me.

I've done quite a few Yoga DVD's where I sweat buckets but they still have the relaxing meditative quality, the focus on breath, and they can still be a very demanding workout without being so sterile and technical. I prefer a more meditative Vinyasa Flow style workout, I guess. While this DVD definitely has some very challenging workouts, it lacks the mind-body emphasis that makes Yoga unique. Otherwise why not just do Pilate's or aerobics?

It just wasn't for me but if you prefer a "no nonsense" purely physical approach to Yoga you might like it. I'd still suggest you do some stretching though before you start this DVD as you will be going right into demanding poses like Chaturanga (the yoga push-up) within a minute or so of starting. Also you should be familiar with Yoga's ujaii (sp?) breathing first as this DVD does not give any information on the very essence of what makes a workout "Yoga". Otherwise you might as well just be doing any random body postures, twists, or stretches.

I can't personally recommend this DVD because of my issues with it but if the above gripes are not important to you you may like this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make Yoga Part of Your Life, November 19, 2007
This review is from: Yoga For Weight Loss for Beginners (DVD)
The most important aspect of this yoga DVD is that the instructor, Maggie Rhoades, is a teacher in the Iyengar tradition of yoga at one of the best yoga centers in the country, Unity Woods in the Washington, DC Metropolitan area. Beginning with an excellent introduction and a highly informative overview of yoga's purpose, goals, and methods -explaining how yoga can complement everything we do in life - Miss Rhoades takes the viewer on a challenging and highly instructive tour, offering routines for beginners, explaining and of course demonstrating in a step-by-step manner, many basic poses. She not only explains how to do each pose but she tells us the benefits of each. This is not a video to follow from start to finish (because it contains so much), but is probably more suited to a viewer finding routines that suit his or her level, interest, and ability. It does presuppose a certain familiarity with yoga poses and techniques, although a complete novice could start just with her basics and then build from there. There is really so much on this very long tape - it even includes the use of props - that it is well worth the reasonable price. I especially appreciated Ms. Rhoades' "Interview" advice in which she suggests that viewers make yoga part of their lives and to "have fun" doing it. The island setting and Ms. Rhoades positive demeanor only enhances the viewer's enjoyment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Workout, July 3, 2007
This review is from: Yoga For Weight Loss for Beginners (DVD)
I love this DVD for many reasons.. 1 is because it is just plain beautiful to watch and to listen to. I love hearing the sound of the ocean in the background -- It is so much better than the awful music that you sometimes hear in these videos.
I also really enjoy the flowing aspect of the video. So many of the yoga videos I've seen make you stop and start your workout...They show you one pose and then they stop to talk about it. I find this annoying because if you want a continuous practice, you have to fast forward through the explanations. Maggie Rhoades incorporates the explanations into the poses, for example, while you're holding downward facing dog for 5 full breaths, she talks about the benefits of the pose, moving more fully into the pose, etc.
I am a beginning yoga student so some of the dvd was too advanced for me but I tried the more challenging vinyasas nonetheless and will keep practicing so that one day I'll be able to do them.
Maggie's cueing is excellent. You can follow along even if you're not watching the dvd. This is very helpful as you move through the poses.
I do wish there were a more specific menu so I could pick my practice easier. The items listed on the menu are very general.
I would definitely recommend this dvd.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners at ALL, January 29, 2013
This review is from: Yoga For Weight Loss for Beginners (DVD)
Those who have said "This is great for beginners" are NOT beginners themselves. Experienced yogi should not write reviews on beginner products, because it's likely they don't remember what it's like to be a beginner.

There are two essential things in the title of this product that should define it: (a) 'Beginners' and (b) 'For Weight Loss'. The makers of this video need to assume two very important things of their audience: that they are both inflexible beginners to yoga, and that they are overweight. I am both of these things, and I wanted to get a video to try out a beginner routine at my own pace before I sign up for a class.

The first routine, which is claimed to be designed as a warmup for beginners, involves standing straight, bending double to the floor, shifting into a lunge, then into a triangular bridgeup and then into a pushup. The routine moves so fast that unless you understand the moves being described (or have watched the video enough times to memorize it), you won't be able to make the movements in time to keep up with her.

The next routine, entitled "Getting Started", involves standing up straight, raising the arms, reaching down and bending double to touch the floor, then 'jumping' back into a pushup pose and lowering into a pushup until only your hands, toes and forehead touch the floor before then pushing backwards with your hips until you're doing a forward bridge (I think it's called a 'downward dog' in Yoga). I bought this to start with a gentle, beginner's routine that is tempered for overweight people looking to lose weight. I don't know anyone overweight who is new to yoga who can 'jump' into a pushup pose.

Essentially this video is a collection of unrelated routines made for different videos, compiled here to serve as an advertisement for their other DVDs - they plug the DVD the routine came from at the end of each routine, and each routine seems to end rather abruptly as though it were just a clip.

This video is good to test out other videos in the series and see if you like them. And if you're maybe 20 pounds overweight and have at least had a few (maybe 10-12) yoga lessons then you would likely find this an ideal starting point. But this is NOT a DVD for complete beginners unless you're already in very good shape, and it's definitely not a DVD for someone who might be 50+ pounds overweight.

Breakdown of the stars:
-2 stars for not being a true product, but rather a collection of previews
-2 stars for not being what it says it is; it is neither designed for beginners, nor designed for someone overweight
-1 star for the strange, wooden smile and awkward voiceover that doesn't describe things in a manner that's easy to visualize
+1 star for being well-made, with nice locations and good sound quality

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD - Tones and Relaxes, December 15, 2007
This review is from: Yoga For Weight Loss for Beginners (DVD)
This is a wonderful DVD that offers a wide-range of workouts for both the beginner and more in shape person. There are traditional yoga poses done in very challenging ways and some more interesting things that spice up the workouts. Overall I find this a very rewarding DVD that has helped me shed a few pounds while leaving me very relaxed afterwards. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Variations, January 14, 2008
This review is from: Yoga For Weight Loss for Beginners (DVD)
I loved Maggie's other Yoga DVD and purchased this one also. Though I am still working through both DVDs, this one has some great variations in addition to the sections geared more towarda beginners.

The sections with the bands and weights definately help to make the routines target for toning.

Good DVD for learning and also to help tone you in a different way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maggie Is Great For Beginners, October 8, 2007
This review is from: Yoga For Weight Loss for Beginners (DVD)
This is one of two titles I have recently purchased from Maggie (the other is Essential Yoga For Inflexible People ) to help me increase my flexibility and get into shape.

I love both DVDs and they are perfect for me who is new to Yoga.

This DVD has a basic section to teach you the movements you will need then gives you extended workouts and workouts using resistance bands and weights.

Beautiful location and I find myself using this alot now. I am starting to feel comfortable with it. Definately a worthwhile purchase. I use Essential Yoga For Inflexible People also and that has helped develop some aspects of what I am doing and is a worthwhile compliment to this DVD if you need more grounding.

All in all a great DVD.

Yoga For Weight Loss for Beginners
Yoga For Weight Loss for Beginners by Michael Wohl (DVD - 2007)
$19.99 $9.99