Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

on November 1, 2008
I'm an ex-Physiology Teaching Fellow with a strong background in yoga. I own and have reviewed many books and this particular volume has much to offer. One of the things I most like about it is that it is broken down into 10-25 minute routines that anyone can do. Also, the author who has excellent credentials has simplified routines and covers the use of props which can make it possible for older people or others with limitations to safely practice yoga.

This book is attractively illustrated, concise and can be something you implement right away. While I would have liked to see more detail on the correct performance of some of the poses, there is certainly enough to get you started. The routines are also complementary even though they are listed by body area. This makes sense because the whole body is one unit or system.

It can be very intimidating to start yoga on your own and to put together routines that make sense. It is also fairly easy to get hurt doing things wrong, but this book presents a sane and easy to follow approach. If you have a back problem, I would also pick up Back Care Basics: A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Program for Back and Neck Pain Relief. This is THE book on the subject as far as I'm concerned, but the level of detail is higher with less of a broad scope.

Also, if you are serious about doing all the poses correctly and want to get the most benefit from this book, then [[ASIN:1930485042 30 Essential Yoga Poses: For Beginning Students and Their Teachers] would give you more routines beyond this book and more importantly detailed instructions for all the poses including the ones that are used in the book that I am reviewing.

Although I am a fairly advanced yoga practitioner, I use this book regularly. If I had to reduce my review to two words it would be SIMPLE and EFFECTIVE. It has all meat, no fluff and no hype. In addition, the author has excellent credentials. She is the editor-and-chief of FIT and FIT YOGA magazines and has been studying yoga for over 20 years in a variety of traditions. She also studied with some of the top yoga masters and taught in a variety of settings including hospitals.

You can't go wrong with this book and it is reasonably priced. I believe it will also be helpful to those with back problems, but if that is your situation then I think the other book above that I mention is important to own as well. You can't afford to make mistakes with a delicate back. If you are reasonably healthy in this regard, then or are already familiar with yoga then maybe you can get away with just this ONE book.

I hope this review was helpful and you can see other yoga books I recommended on my profile as well as a listmania list on the topic. Good luck with your yoga and thanks for reading my review.
22 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2007
I have 2 herniated lumbar discs and a 3rd lumbar disc which is degenerated. I recently underwent decompression therapy without successful pain relief. I cut coffee, soda and all caffeine from my diet. In desperation I bought this book (mine has a yellow/orange cover). I started with the Morning Stretch which at first, believe it or not, was actually difficult for me. Now, I am including segments of the other backbend and abdominal routines into my daily routine and am pain free! I cannot express how absolutely wonderful this book is. The pictures and explanations are easy to follow. The routines build strength and flexibility and best of all really work. I recommend this book to anyone with back pain.
on May 26, 2005
I really enjoyed all of these 10 minute routines, especially the Morning Stretch--what a great way to start the day! The routines are easy to follow and easy to do while watching TV or taking a break from work. This is also a great book for golfers. Since I've been practicing yoga, I no longer have back pain either during or after my round of golf. Highly recommended.
on January 3, 2007
Since I am recently recovering from a back/hip injury, this book has guided me back into doing yoga. Is is beautifully illustrated. "Most" asanas are "fairly well" explained, though I do have familiarity with most of them. The book illustrates the poses, but you must read through the explanation to get to the end result (when to breathe, which foot forward, etc.) It briefly also covers why the pose will benefit you. A handy section at the end of the chapter is the illustrations of just the proposed sequence of poses that you can refer to. I use the book daily, though I do not do all poses respecting the limitations of my injury.
on November 16, 2010
This book is useful, but it suffers from a terrible omission. It shows almost no modifications for exercises. This makes it much less useful than it could be for the target audience. As an example, they show child's pose with your head resting on the ground, an unsafe place for many heads to be. They do not show head resting on blocks, head resting on hands, and several other useful variations. The seated twists show legs crossing over and arms doing full wraps, that probably 40% of regular practitioners of yoga cannot do in that form (and I suspect an even larger percentage of the audience for this book). Also, all of the lotus pose pictures have the head improperly positioned, with the face looking forward instead of down and slightly front to maintain spinal alignment. When I saw that I should have returned the book immediately. The sequences are nice, and are short. I will use it, but with the proper modifications that I learned in years of yoga classes.
on January 18, 2008
this book, thus far is amazing. it is a tool great for anyone with an injured back. i bought it in order to develop yoga routines for my husband who has herniated discs, sciatica and plantar fasciatis. we wake up bright and early every morning and do yoga, using this book as a guide and it seems to be strengthening him. he looks forward to it everyday.
the book is informative, has easy to understand pictures and great explanations of the poses. even someone whom never has done yoga before would find success using this book.
The book, Yoga Heals Your Back, can help you get started on the road to back pain relief. It's author, Rita Trieger, editor-in-chief of Fit and Fit Yoga, has been practicing yoga and meditation for more than 20 years. In addition to good introductory information regarding back pain and yoga, Yoga Heals Your Back includes several 10-minute routines designed to stretch and strengthen you back - simple daily programs that only take a few minutes.

The first routine is a morning stretch that can be done on your bed or on the floor. It's a great way to check in with your body and begin your day in a healthy way. The next routine is called, Align the Spine. It's a gentle yet invigorating series of eleven poses that will get your blood flowing while giving your spine and hips a good stretch. Other routines include:

Backbends - to correct your posture, tone your back muscles, and improve circulation.

More Backbends - deeper work for your back muscles.

Moving Forward - forward folds to soothe your nervous system and stretch your spine.

Unwind - six poses to relax your neck and shoulders.

Warm-up For More Vigorous Work - 6 poses to get your blood flowing and warm your muscles.

Strengthen the Lower Back, Hips, and Glutes - standing poses to build lower body strength.

Abdominal Strength - great moves to strengthen your core.

Modified Sun Series - A full body workout in 14 flowing movements.

Yoga Heals Your Back also has a chapter on using props (chair, blocks) to modify poses and concludes with an introduction to meditation.

I turned to this book for guidance recently when I overexerted myself jogging and ended up with an aching low back. The gentle poses helped me stretch and strengthen safely and I am happy to report that my back pain has resolved.

So, if you are ready to give your back some care and attention with yoga, Yoga Heals Your Back offers a great collection of 10-minute yoga routines to guide you.

Highly Recommended
on January 26, 2008
An absolutely fantastic, comprehensive read.
Having a weak lower back, this book contains many sequences of yoga to care for & create a healthy back. I recommend this book highly.
I have practised yoga for many years & having a lot of books on all aspects of the practise - this is my best purchase yet!
on April 18, 2008
This book is wonderful! It has practical, easy-to-follow 10-minute routines that fit into my hectic days (I have 2 kids under 3). It has strengthened my back to where I don't have to constantly worry about what might or might not throw my back out. I can go about my day with ease.
on April 6, 2008
While healing from an injury, I was looking for a plan of action to get my stiff body going again. This book was very helpful. The descriptions and photos are excellent. It is a great book for beginners and in my case, Yoga Enthusiasts who are recovering from an injury and need a gentler approach. I highly recommend it.