Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 31, 2005
I finally tried it out. I was skeptical after reading some of the reviews. I used 5 grams Cuisipro Donvier Yogurt Starter (one packet, only) and 32 oz. whole milk following the directions on the back of the Cuisipro Donvier Yogurt Starter package. I ran the Salton YM9 1-Quart Yogurt Maker for 7 hours to incubate the yogurt. I think this is the best tasting yogurt I have ever had.
0Comment|108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2006
I tried this culture and liked it a lot. When I ran out, I went to the health food store thinking culture was culture. WRONG!! I am back again, and getting the good stuff.

This makes a yougurt that has the same nice bite as sour cream. I make it with 1% milk and only use 4 cups of milk and a slightly heaping 1/2 t of culture (this is about half the package as the package makes 2 liters).

This culture makes a soother yogurt than the other stuff. It makes your mouth water and alleviates the need for sugar. No it is not sweet, but the "bite" is wonderful.
on August 29, 2005
I have used this starter six times and each batch was great. I only wish we could buy it for less money, maybe in a jar or bottle and get it out with a teaspoon. But I guess the delicate nature of the culture requires it to be packaged in these little individual envelopes.
44 comments|34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2007
I make yogurt using starters at least weekly. Generally I buy Yogourmet. This product produces a yogurt that tastes creamier than the yogourmet I've only made 2 batches, so it's difficult to be scientifically certain because even a 5 degree change in the milk temp can affect creaminess.

I use a Salton maker and have since 1997. The container actually will hold 5 cups, so I use 1 quart of half and half and 1 cup of water. The yogurt produced is quite dense. I'm on low carb which is the reason for the half and half. In 24 hours of culturing, most of the sugar is gone. If I want a less tart tasting yogurt, I place a towel over my yogurt maker. I don't know the chemical reason that a towel produces a less tart yogurt but it works. I've also used 2 cups of cream and 3 cups of water satisfactorily. I've tried reconstituted evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed) and that makes a really dense yogurt that I wasn't crazy about but my granddaughter who is 3 loves.

This makes a delicious yogurt and so does Yogourmet. But the price of both on Amazon is very high. You get 2 packets for your money (about $1.50 per batch of yogurt). Yogourmet gives you 10 packets (about $1.70 per batch). I buy the same Yogourmet at my local market for $3.59 -- or about 35¢ per batch.
55 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2006
I have made yogurt with a few tablespoons from the super market or with a previous batch, but sometimes I sweeten the whole batch with honey and forget to reserve some for the next batch. I probably use these 80% of the time now.
When I first started making yogurt, using these packets allowed me to vary the time and/or add powdered milk until I found my perfect batch! I don't add powdered milk - it makes it thicker but more tart and I prefer it a bit thinner after getting addicted to it in Europe last year.
These packets are the perfect tool for newbies - and a cupboard staple for the more seasoned yogurt-heads!
on January 7, 2006
Used it twice so far, once with whole milk, once with 2% milk. Makes a firm, smooth yogurt either way, without the too-tart acid "bite" of some store-bought yogurts. Really nice, over fruit, with syrup or just plain "by its lonesome".
on February 17, 2008
This starter creates a tangy, creamy yogurt. Each packet makes 2 litres. The batches I have made had a soft, creamy curd. The flavor was good. I gave it four stars, because I would have preferred a firmer curd. Each packet contains skim milk powder, sucrose, ascorbic acid, lactic bacteria (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus). This culture needs additional skim milk powder or evaporated milk added to the milk to increase the protein for a firmer curd.
on February 20, 2006
Wonderful to have these packets on hand for starting a batch of yogurt. Use when you have run out of your own live yogurt to start up a new batch. They can be used for all batches, but I tend to use them as a backup. When the supply is getting low, I buy more. That way I am always able to use the yogurt-maker.
on February 8, 2006
The recipe for making yogurt that was in the accompanying manual makes the yogurt too runny, but I found a better one that works without fail--even with flavored soymilk. The secret is in adding to the scalded milk/yogurt 2 tsp unflavored gelatin mixed in 1/4 c water then added to the scalded milk; this makes the yogurt much creamier; even more creamier and thicker is to add 1 cup of non-instant powdered milk or 1 can of evaporated milk to all of this; then it is as thick and creamy as commercial. I have read that soymilk will not make good yogurt. But it does, even the kind with added vanilla flavor! (I buy Westsoy w/ Vanilla). But add the gelatin and/or powdered milk and it is thick and creamy. Without the unflavored gelatin all the yogurt I made was too runny.
on February 1, 2009
I have been making yogurt for years and have never had a problem with yogurt cultures. Attracted by the connivence of home delivery, I ordered and used this starter. Although still "fresh" per the expiration date, the starter failed to create yogurt and appeared to be dead and have inactive cultures. To be sure I had not killed the cultures by measuring the heat inaccurately, I tried a second package. Sadly I had the same result. So, I went to a health food store and bought my usual yogurt starter (Yogourmet, freeze dried yogurt cultures), and had no problem.
I cannot recommend this yogurt starter.