1,002 Reviews

1,419 of 1,450 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars In Love With Yonanas
I am in love with this item. If you've ever made banana whip or "mock ice cream" in a blender, you will probably love this too. A few key negative review points are as follows, and I'll address these with my experience:
Published on July 17, 2012 by Angela

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly disappointing...
Published on May 15, 2012 by M. Tallada

1,419 of 1,450 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars In Love With Yonanas, July 17, 2012
This review is from: Yonanas 902 Frozen Treat Maker, Black/Silver (Kitchen)
1. Yonanas didn't taste like vanilla/soft serve ice cream. ~Well, it is not made of unicorns and rainbows, so logic says that if you put a banana in, and no other ingredients, what comes out will most likely taste like a banana. Maybe some day they will make a magic Yonanas machine and the universe will rejoice.
2. It is loud. ~Yup, it is. But so is a blender, food processor, stick blender, etc. The fact is, I did not go deaf or bleed from my ears in the 2 minutes it took me to make a container full of blueberry-banana Yonanas.
3. It doesn't rinse right off. ~Yeah, it does. I undid my machine right after finishing the whip and rinsed it in the sink. All of the fruit came right off. I did have to apply a little soap to a sponge and move my hand back and forth on the machine for a second or two to get all the strawberry seeds out of the teeth, but this was hardly traumatizing. The only thing I can think of with folks not having successful clean-up is that it is not rinsed right away.
4. It leaves a half serving in the machine. ~Yup, it does. I took my Yonanas apart to rinse it, and just used a spoon to scrape the little bit left in the machine into my bowl. This was also not traumatizing.
5. I had to call in reinforcements (probably bodybuilders) to help me push the bananas in and take the machine apart. ~Really? I'm a regular lady with little spider-monkey arms, and I did not have to call in big, strong people to help me push the bananas in or take the machine apart.
6. It takes a ton of bananas to make a serving. ~No, not really. My Yonanas came with a plastic tub to keep in the freezer. Just today, all by myself, with no bodybuilder friends, no bleeding from the ears, and no dishpan hands, I filled the tub using only 4 whole bananas and 2 cups of frozen blueberries. This seems reasonable to me.
I like bananas, I like banana whips, I like fruit, and I like Yonanas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly Raw Ice Cream, August 13, 2011
This review is from: Yonanas 902 Frozen Treat Maker, Black/Silver (Kitchen)
This machine makes wonderful banana based 'ice cream' effortlessly. The frozen ice cream dispenses directly into your serving bowl. You do not need to stop and clean out any containers. So when the line of little children forms up behind you, you can just keep going. Clean up is a breeze. Break down the processing parts and rinse in less than 2 minutes. No scrubbing. This machine is not as loud as the Vitamix which also makes wonderful things.
The 'ice cream' is soft formed and very creamy.
You start with one frozen banana. Add other frozen fruit such as berries, pineapple, oranges, in between each banana. Non frozen bananas do not work as my daughter found out.
I don't think this machine will ever be placed under the counter. My biggest challenge to my raw lifestyle has been my love affair with ice cream. That ended last night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really like this, August 12, 2011
This review is from: Yonanas 902 Frozen Treat Maker, Black/Silver (Kitchen)
Make sure you are freezing the fruit really good - very important. And ripe, not green. My first try I did with bananas only. The texture was creamy and smooth and fantastic. The second try I added blueberries. Yum. The berries were not quite as smooth as the bananas but was still very good. Have not tried anything with a lot of seeds, like strawberries, but icecream with real strawberries has that seedy texture, so I expect this would as well.

If you are expecting not to be able to taste the bananas and have it taste like vanilla iceacream, you might be disappointed. But you can add things to it to minimize the banana flavor.

I have really liked my experience with this item so far.

It is made of sturdy plastic, has metal blades, and extremely easy to disassemble and clean with a quick rinse under the faucet.

EDIT 12/24/2011: Ok, I see it is made of ABS plastic. Not sure if that is BPA free. I am fairly certain there is one model, but the more expensive one has some extra accessories. This one had just the machine by itself. And yes, it is pretty loud. Would wake the family if you used it early in the morning. But not the neighbors. :)

Now....my son is in college for his first year. For the holiday break, he is home. Shopping in my kitchen. He is taking my Yohnana back to college with him. I have been eyeing the Champion Juicer for quite some time. It was a video of this machine making a banana whip that led me to the Yohnana maker. For my replacement of my Yohnana machine, I purchased the Champion Juicer. I believe it was like $259 at Harvest Essentials online. Love that place, btw. Have never had a bad experience with them. After the holiday, I will try to figure out how to post a video comparison of the results of the two machines for banana whips. But, in any case, here it is .....the Champion Juicer, is, of course, amazing. It does pretty much everything. Nut butters, salsas, juices, applesauce, icecreams...and, drum rollllll.....sorbets and banana whips. It runs so quietly. Actually much quieter than the Yohnana. Again,need to figure out how to post a video to demonstrate that for you. As for the texture, the Champion Juicer is just slightly smoother than the Yohnana maker. But not much. They are both designed with the same basic blade principle. Both are quick and easy to clean if you do it right away. I have not tried making other fruit sorbets with the Yohnana. Perhaps I should. I just love the banana "icecream". I put in a dash of vanilla with it. So good.

Anyway, both are good machines for this application. Of course, at between $230 and $290, depending on the model, the Champion Juicer is far more durable and versatile. For under $100, the Yohnana is almost as effective as whipping the banana to a smooth creamy treat as the more expensive Champion Juicer.

I am still happy with my Yohnana purchase and have no trouble or problems with it at all. I do disassemble it and scrape out the banana/whatever other fruit we used that is left in the machine though. It takes about 3 whipped bananas to make a bowl of banana "icecream". It does not seem to get all if it pushed out and into to my bowl. Then I immediately rinse the parts in warm water and set it aside to dry for next time.

I saw in a video that a banana whip made of three or four bananas sells for $7. If you make just 9 full sized banana whips, you have about broken even. That was pretty easy for us to do. With 5 people in our family, we did that in a few days. So, for me, the warranty was not first in my mind. Stores generally take defective items back without much fuss, at least for the first 30 days. By that time, I had saved enough (in my mind) that I was happy even if it broke or got knocked on the floor. With normal use, this could easily last for our family for several years.

I hope that if you get one of these, you enjoy it as much as I do.

Have a wonderful holiday and be safe!

EDIT JUNE 24, 2012: Yohnana made it thru a year of college boys and still going strong. Other than needing a very good cleaning, all is well. I would say that this has been a good purchase for us. I have since that time purchased the Champion juicer and even though it is more versatile and makes a mean banana whip, the difference in texture is not significant with the bananas. If you want banana whips only and don't want to lay out the cash for a more expensive appliance to get them, this one has been good for us and I would not hesitate to recommend it. (and have, to several family members and friends) If you are looking to invest in a more permanent appliance with more versatility, then go for the Champion. I love my Vitamix, and people have asked, so, if your intention is to make banana whips then that is not the appliance for the task. The consistency is just not the same. You will find that you will get more of a smoothie than an icecream by the time you are done. If you cut the banana into smaller pieces, you can get a banana "icecream" with a food processor and a little bit of patience. So, there ....another option. Check youtube for technique on the food processor soft serve bananas.

This would make an awesome gift for someone who can not have dairy. Especially if they have kids who have allergies. I am considering getting one for my little nephew who seems to be allergic to the world. I think he would love to feel like he is having ice cream again and I know his parents would appreciate the kids having a healthy treat.

edit August 2014:
Still going strong and headed back for another round at college. (Brave little Yohnana. LOL) It has also been used by my parents and brother's family because their young son has so many food intolerances. He really enjoyed being able to have some that resembled a desert that did not send his body into fits.
It gets less use than before we had the vitamix and champion juicer, but it has been a durable little machine for us. No complaints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, June 11, 2012
This review is from: Yonanas 902 Frozen Treat Maker, Black/Silver (Kitchen)
No, it doesn't taste or feel "exactly" like soft serve ice cream but, yes, it is incredibly good and creamy. Fantastic, really. BUT you must follow the directions carefully--yet the directions are inconsistent and full of typos. SO here's what you have to do: The bananas must be ripe but not really overripe (slightly mushy is good for banana bread, not Yonanas). They should be "cheetah spotted" as they say, and the banana inside must still be white. Peel, break in half and freeze for 24 hours--don't try to get around this. Thaw on the counter for five minutes--no longer and no shorter. The directions say 5 minutes one page, 15-20 minutes on another page, and also recommend microwaving for a few seconds instead. Forget about it--just leave the bananas and any other frozen fruit on the counter for five minutes. Use slow, steady, even pressure when pushing down with the plunger thing. Too fast and you get ice chips and possibly burn out the motor. Not thawing the fruit is another way to burn out the motor. It really helps to put the serving bowl in the freezer for a half hour or so ahead of time to prevent premature melting. It's no good when it's melted. And, finally, don't even think about putting chocolate in this thing even though several recipes say to do so. Not unless you want to spend the next ten, grumpy minutes scraping it out of that cone shaped part with the blades. Some of the chocolate will get through in irregular pieces but not much. I will soon experiment with chocolate syrup or fudge sauce mixed in but never again with the actual chocolate. If you follow these tips exactly, it's very, very good. Try 2 bananas and 3/4 cup of blueberries. Awesome combo!

5.0 out of 5 stars does EXACTLY what it should!!, January 5, 2012
This review is from: Yonanas 902 Frozen Treat Maker, Black/Silver (Kitchen)
I am having a REALLY tough time comprehending the negative reviews I have read about this product! My family received this as a Christmas gift, and I am so grateful to our neighbors for giving it to us!

First off, there is no learning curve. Simply freeze bananas (and other fruit, if desired,) the night before. We let them thaw for 10 minutes on the counter, then went directly to ice cream textured perfection on the very first try. I'm serious; this is truly easy. Rarely have I encountered a product that actually does exactly what it is supposed to do so easily and immediately. The directions are simple and easy to follow. I am no body builder at 5'6', 130 lbs., and both me and my petite 18-year-old daughter were able to shove the frozen fruit through quite easily.

Yes, it is noisy, but you're not running it for very long. I am a truly noise sensitive person. I HATE noise and love quiet, am always turning down the volume on the tv, etc., and I find the noise level of Yonanas completely tolerable for a short period of time.

Another point-you cannot duplicate the creamy texture this product delivers with a food processor of blender. It cannot be done. This does not create a smoothie or shake.Yonanas really makes a creamy consistency very much like ice cream. Of course, if you do not like bananas at all, you will probably not like them from the Yonanas machine, either. We made our first batch with strawberries (delicious,) and are looking forward to trying out other fruit combinations.

Lastly, cleaning up could not be easier. It actually disassembles into 5 washable pieces (hand or dishwasher.) I can't understand how some reviewers found it difficult to clean. Ours rinsed clean in seconds. I did use hot water and soap, and washed it right away. Maybe that's key.

Added bonus- as another reviewer stated, no more throwing out brown bananas. My four-year-old daughter loves bananas, but doesn't always eat them before they go bad. Now when I see them getting brown, I throw them (peeled) into the freezer to add to my supply!

Overall, a fantastic product, easy to use, a breeze to clean AND reassemble. If you want to eat healthier, or just want to have a frozen treat ready at hand, give it a try! I imagine this would be great for a kid's party. Stock up on frozen fruit, let the kids pick their own recipe, and let the fun begin!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for bananas - frozen pudding makes great soft serve!, February 27, 2012
This review is from: Yonanas 902 Frozen Treat Maker, Black/Silver (Kitchen)
So far I've tried frozen bananas w/ frozen strawberries (a bit icy), frozen bananas with frozen pineapple (less icy), and frozen banana with frozen vanilla pudding - DING, DING, DING - we have a winner! This combo made a smooth, truly soft-serve style dessert that my toddler kept wanting to steal bites of. It was like a banana cream soft serve. I just made instant pudding using 1% milk, froze in an ice cube tray, and threw in about 4-5 frozen cubes with 1.5 frozen bananas. Made about 2 adult-sized servings. So yummy! Next going to crumble graham cracker crumbs on top for the true banana cream pie experience. I'm excited to try butterscotch, pistachio, and chocolate frozen puddings, too! (PS - you don't need the deluxe model Yonanas- the $50 model is all you need for great desserts...)

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly disappointing..., May 15, 2012
This review is from: Yonanas 902 Frozen Treat Maker, Black/Silver (Kitchen)
I was so excited for this product to arrive. I thought, "frozen fruit would be such a healthy alternative to ice cream". Not that I had super unreasonable expectations. After all, you can't turn a banana into a full fat ice cream sundae. What I was expecting was something more than just puréed frozen fruit. This product touts that the end result is creamy. I did not find that the result was creamy at all. No matter which kind of fruit was used. The "purée" isn't even reduced enough to be a creamy option! I have learned you cannot make fruit "creamy" unless there is some kind of base(i.e. yogurt or pudding,etc) in it to make it "creamy". I did try all the aforementioned tricks in the amazon reviews and in the booklet as well to see if that changed my opinion and nothing worked. I even made my health nut fiance try it and he said, "it's frozen smashed banana" *cue odd crinkle brow face*. So that is essentially a big "whoop de doo!" from the peanut gallery.

Also, while I do love bananas, when they are mushed up they become gummy and sticky. I used fully ripe and frozen bananas as well. So I thought this product would help kind of reduce that and it didn't. I did try other frozen fruit as well such as strawberries and peaches. Strawberries came out like a granita/sorbet type dessert. I imagine this is because of the higher water content in a berry vs. a fruit such as the banana. Berries also have seeds in them so every time you bite you get a seed in your treat which is less pleasing to me but others probably wouldn't mind. I do think this would be a good option if you were making frozen fruit baby food though or for a teething baby, but then again, you could purchase a product for the same price or even a little more that you could have more options with.

The cleaning and waste is probably one of the most irritating parts to it. Basically you have to have a lot of fruit because if you just put in one banana it disappears in the blade system inside the product unless you have another one to push it out. So basically it's a 2-for-1 system unless you want to take it apart to get the excess fruit in the blades with a spoon. Maybe I'm just a wimp, but I also thought that the spout part was kind of hard to twist off and lock in as well. The plunger system also wasn't really effective either. I used the right amount of pressure and the machine stopped from time to time. I know I wasn't using so much pressure that it completely stopped like some may have experienced. I also felt like while the cone/blade part is gooey with all the excess fruit you could slip and cut yourself on the blades. In my opinion, you have to be careful when taking it apart and washing/rinsing. The whole "You can just rinse it off and bam! You're done!" thing isn't true either. Fruit is sticky because of the fructose in it and it will not come off with just rinsing. I used dish soap because I don't have the luxury of a dishwasher and didn't want anything leftover or stuck on the blades. I did not find the product unbearably loud like some have said. I felt it was actually a little less loud than a blender with ice chopping in it.

At the end of the day, I just felt that this product is not worth the money considering you could probably do the same thing in a higher end food processor (without liquid) which would have more uses. This is a one trick pony. Sure you can puree various frozen fruits, frozen yogurt cubes, and frozen pudding but that's about it! I sent it back for a refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummyyyy, November 15, 2011
This review is from: Yonanas 902 Frozen Treat Maker, Black/Silver (Kitchen)
I love this product! I am NOT a cook, and was looking for an healthy alternative to ice cream, I think I found it!!! Now if I can figure out what else to add ( it does come with a cookbook). Oh and by the way, peel your bananas before you freeze them, yeah like I said I'm NOT a cook!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not 100% sold but happy enough that I bought it, February 25, 2012
This review is from: Yonanas 902 Frozen Treat Maker, Black/Silver (Kitchen)
I was telling a couple of the girls at work yesterday about how I'd gotten a Yonana and how eager I was to try it. One of the other girls comes up and says, "You ordered a Yonana?" I said yes, thinking she was going to tell me wonderful things about it. Instead, she said she'd had one, that she hated it, and recommended that I immediately pack it up and ship it back without trying it. She claimed it was noisy and difficult to clean. She recommended getting a Ninja instead and said a Ninja is more versatile, but then she went on to say that she has to add liquid to her fruit, which defeats the purpose for why I'd ordered the Yonana in the first place. I'm on Weight Watchers, and I'd ordered the Yonana because all you need is fruit and fruit is zero points on Weight Watchers. What's not to love about "free" food? My co-worker also complained about needing to use two bananas for the Yonana and said that bananas are too high in carbs. High in carbs or not, bananas still count as "free" food on Weight Watchers and, contrary to what my co-worker said, you do not need to use two bananas nor do you need to use any bananas. So, being the stubborn person that I am, I decided not to take my co-worker's advice.

Last night I got to try the Yonana. My assessment...it is noisy. So noisy that it should be packed up and shipped back? No. It's no more noisy than my blender or my son's juicer. And it is not difficult to clean. Not in the least little bit. In fact, I was a bit wary of the blades on the blade cone because they looked a bit evil, like they could scrape up a knuckle without a second thought - but the blades actually ended up being very easy to clean off. You can actually just run the parts under water and rinse them off, it cleaned up that easily. If my co-worker wants to see difficult to clean, she can borrow my son's juicer, which requires scrubbing with a toothbrush to get all the pulp out.

I'd read some reviews on the Ninja and one of the reviews complained that the Ninja is a pain when you want to add additional ingredients because you have to take off the motor and take off a lid and there was another step that I don't remember. My co-worker agreed that you do need to do all that, but she poo-pooed that review as saying that's really not an issue. Well, I can't vouch for the Ninja, but I can say that adding fruit to the Yonana is very easy. You just pull out the plunger (which you can get a little bit of suction there) and pop in the fruit and then plunge away.

Creating the "ice cream" is very quick. I mean, very quick! In less time than it takes to dig frozen real ice cream out of a tub, you can have a Yonana treat. (Well, okay, that might not be totally true as you do need to thaw your frozen fruit first...but take the thawing part out of the equation, you can have the Yonana treat more quickly than real ice cream and without the cussing and swearing.)

There is no waste in ingredients with the Yonana. I am always astounded by my son's juicer at how much wasted product is left over. With the Yonana, you get to eat every bit of what goes into it. You will want to disassemble the unit right away, however, because you will find that some edible "ice cream" remains between the blade cover and the blade cone and some in the gasket too, but that's very easy to scrape out, put in the bowl, and enjoy. I did notice that it seems that the first bowl of Yonana gets cheated out of some of their treat and subsequent bowls seem to be more filled. I'm not sure what the reason for that is as it didn't appear that there was fruit left in the plunger. Maybe it's the amount of fruit that remains between the cone cover and blade cone? I don't know, but a solution is to make one big batch and then separate it into portions.

The unit is much smaller than I'd expected it to be. It takes up less room than a toaster or a traditional blender or my son's gigantic juicer. It is tall, however. But if you leave it out on a countertop, height isn't an issue. It's the footprint that would be an issue.

One thing I discovered that I don't really like about the design of the Yonana is that the spout the "ice cream" comes out is too close to the unit and sometimes the "ice cream" wants to curl back toward the unit and not into your bowl, even though I had the bowl pushed up next to the machine. A simple fix would be for the Yonana designer to make a longer spout. Next Yonana generation maybe. In the meantime, the user can use a higher bowl, or maybe a glass?

Overall, am I 100% sold on Yonana? No. I wish I could say I am, but, after tasting my first creation, I think I'd rather just eat the fruit. The concoction does not taste like ice cream - it does, however, have the texture of soft serve ice cream. Oddly, my son, who drank a full 12 ounce glass of grainy juiced carrots without complaint made faces as he ate his banana/peach Yonana. He did eat it all, but I don't think he's going to be asking me to make him another Yonana treat. As for me, I do not like bananas, at all, and a few areas of my banana/berry tasted way too much like banana. (And, yes, I know, you do not need to use the bananas. I made my Yonana treat using just one banana, one half before the berries and one half after.) Am I going to ship my Yonana back? No. I'm going to give it more of a try. First off, a lot of the reviews and the Yonana owner's manual/recipe books all say to use ripe bananas. I didn't have ripe bananas. I just froze the bananas that were the most banged up looking and they really weren't all that ripe. So I'm hoping that bananas that are truly ripe and not simply banged up will make a difference. Also, I intend to give it a try using just fruit without the bananas. I am also hoping that in time I will move beyond the desire for my concoctions to be ice cream and that I'll just be happy that I'm having a Weight Watchers zero point treat. My husband also said that he thinks the Yonana will be a nice cold treat come summer when it's hot.

So, do I recommend the Yonana? Yes, I do. In fact, despite my not being sold on the taste of my first creation, I do intend on sharing my Yonana experience with my Weight Watchers group as well as my friends. Like a few of the reviews said, if you want ice cream, go buy ice cream. If you want a good, healthy, zero point treat, then, by all means, get a Yonana. It's a good machine that does exactly what it's meant to do.

Follow up - I tried again and used just a berry mix (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries) and four slices of peaches (no bananas). Very good. Even better, I mixed in a container of blueberry Fiber One yogurt (just one Weight Watchers point). Now, that was a good mixture that I can easily eat multiple times. It is runny, like soft serve ice cream that's melted, but, boy did it taste good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yonans Maker, September 16, 2011
This review is from: Yonanas 902 Frozen Treat Maker, Black/Silver (Kitchen)
While in Hawaii we stopped at an "ice cream" store to have a frozen fruit cup. It was so delicious and good for us we knew we had to find a way to make this at home. Visiting my niece's home this summer she offered us a similar treat made with the Yonanas Maker. Doing some research on line I noticed that Amazon.com had them in stock. I bought two; one for my son's family and one for me. Yonanas is truly a wonderful way to get our suggested amount of daily servings of fruits. Kids love it, us ice cream lovers love it....only negative thing about it is; one must freeze the bananas and fruit in advance and it is very difficult to have enough ready when it is time for Yonanas!