5.0 out of 5 stars Advanced, well-sorted triggers
I've been using wireless triggers for the past 7 years or so. The technology has grown my leaps and bounds since then, and to be honest, it's extremely impressive where things are toay. These YN622s are the pinnacle of affordable ETTL triggers, right now.

Published on December 20, 2012 by J. Howell

2.0 out of 5 stars Great functions but extremely unreliable
I bought four of these at the beginning of this year, so I have a good amount of experience using them. You can grill me for buying yongnuo triggers to use professionally as a wedding photographer, but not all of us have the money to dump on reliable pocketwizards at 200 bucks a piece.

At first they seemed great, though the FEL button would randomly not fire a...
Published 17 months ago by Mark

5.0 out of 5 stars Advanced, well-sorted triggers, December 20, 2012

As a brief overview, these triggers will transmit an ETTL signal from your camera's hot shoe to a remotely mounted flash. This will allow automatic flash control of remote flashes. Anyone who shoots events and frequently changes camera settings, changes lenses, or subject angles, will greatly benefit from this. Instead of having to go back to your flashes and manually change the power settings, the flash does this automatically as if it were sitting atop your camera.

The big deal with these triggers is that the technology is now affordable - and it works well. Radiopoppers are an option, but they are either expensive (Px system) or notoriously unreliable (Jrx system). Pocketwizards are also an option, but are also pricey and have range/RF interference issues. This is very new, very advanced trigger technology and the kinks are still getting ironed out. I think Yongnuo might have finally cracked the code.

The users manual for these triggers is quite long (28 pages) and intimidating. Being automatic triggers, they have a myriad of options that most users are not going to be used to. It doesn't helps that the manual was written by a non-English speaker, but that's another issue.

After playing with these triggers for a while, here are the highlights for me.

- Seamless ETTL transmittal. Turn on the triggers, mount your flahses, set the channels, and start firing. If you don't want to learn all of the advanced features in the manual you don't have to. You can basically just turn the triggers on and they immediately work. Plain and Simple.

- Transceiver design. These units can function as both a transmitter and receiver. This is nice because you don't need two different units to perform two different jobs. 4 units can function as 4 receivers only, 4 transmitters only, or any combination in between.

- Mount your flash on top of the Trigger. No more unreliable cable connections to the flash (Radiopopper Jrx). This is a solid, robust design with a good, firm electrical connection. When the trigger is on-camera it will allow pass-through ETTL to the flash sitting on top of your camera. This way you can use ETTL with an on-camera flash as well as ETTL with remote flashes as well.

- Robust design. From the first couple weeks of usage, I am cautiously optimistic about the build quality of these units. If you are carrying an on-camera flash on top of these triggers, then the flash acts a large moment arm on the trigger. This has been known to fracture the base of the trigger - rendering it almost useless. Any slop in the bottom or top mounting connections only amplifies this stress, increasing the chance of failure. So far these triggers seem very solid and there is no slop at all. I am confident in the build quality, though I would still be careful with them when using them on-camera.

- Built-in IR focus assist. When you aren't using a speedlite on-camera, these units can use their built in infrared assist beam to help with focusing in low light. This is a huge benefit for dimly lit environments. This feature is unique and to be honest I haven't seen it on any other trigger design like this.

- Group Settings. With the groups you can lock in the ratio of firing power to specified ratios. This can be done in-camera for recent cameras which allow remote speedlite adjustment through the camera's menu (5DII and newer, generally).

Drawbacks?

- Complication. 28 page long user manual for a set of flash triggers should tell you something. My strong recommendation would be to read the manual carefully and test the triggers out at home before taking these to a paid job. Odds are you are NOT going to be able to figure these things out in the 5 minutes before your photo session.

- Menu driven controls. These triggers have a LOT of different options and functions, but relatively few buttons. This means that to access many of it's features, you are going to have the use the camera's built-in flash control menu. It's one of the drawbacks of having such advanced triggers, but a worthwhile tradeoff for many people. Count on a little more involved setup procedure for these triggers relative to the earlier models.

- Because of the transceiver design, you will need to buy some sort of mounting shoe for remote flash units. There is no 1/4-20 thread on the bottom of these units like there is with other "receiver only" designs. The little plastic feet that come with most flashes generally have a thread mount on the bottom, so for now I am using these.

- You need newer cameras and flashes to take advantage of all of the features these triggers have to offer. You can use them with older equipment, though many of the features are lost. Check the compatibility list for more details.

In summary, these are well-sorted, advanced ETTL flash triggers for a very attractive price. Yongnuo seems to have learned from the mistakes of other companies here and produced a trigger with no glaring flaws. The fact that they did all of this and kept the price as low as they did is just amazing to me. I would highly recommend these for a flash power user. For a beginner or anyone with more basic needs, a simple manual trigger is probably a better option.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product for the Price!, January 21, 2013
Gus Wanner (Knoxville, TN USA) - See all my reviews
I have tested the 622C remotes with a Canon 5DMkIII and the following Canon flashes: 580EXII, 430EXII and 270EXII. In summary, they perform as described by the manufacturer and appear to be well made. There are a few points to note, however:

1. The manual that comes with the product is written in "Chinese English" and is difficult to understand upon first reading. There is an excellent alternative manual written by Clive D. Bolton entitled: "The Other YN-622C User Guide" available via photography-on-the.net; I highly recommend reading this guide in parallel with the YN user manual.

2. YN claims a range of 100 meters or 300 feet. This is highly optimistic; a more realistic range is 30 meters or ~98 feet which is the same as that claimed by Canon for their new (and much more expensive) radio flash system.

3. It is important to recognize that the YN622 functioning as a receiver operates the attached Canon flash in its "native" (NOT SLAVE) mode. Thus, only those flash functions selectable on the flash's menu (or the camera's menu when the flash is directly attached to the camera's hotshoe) are available via the 622C system. For example, a 430EXII flash will function in multi-flash (e.g. stroboscopic) mode when optically slaved to a 580EXII master. Since the 622C receiver does NOT utilize the 430EXII slave function, multiflash on a 430EXII is not available even though you can select it on the camera menu with a 622C mounted and functioning as a transmitter.

4. The 622C installed on the camera and functioning as a transmitter includes an AF assist LED pattern emitter with a range of about 3 to 5 meters. This worked OK for me but note that the alignment of the mounting foot on the 622c units is not always perfectly in line with the lens. Of the four 622s I have, only one was physically aligned well enough to make this autofocus assist useable. Hence, the 4 star rating.

5. The 622C system adds Flash Exposure Bracketing (FEB) to all Canon compatible flashes. Thus, I was able to use FEB with my 430EXII and 270EXII flashes which do not have this feature. The 622C system also adds Second Curtain Synchronization when operated with the camera menu's wireless remote function OFF. However, in this case, no individual adjustment of any remote 622 receiver mounted flashes output is available, since the camera thinks that only a single flash is in use.

6. I highly recommend NOT using rechargable batteries with the 622s, use ordinary AA alkaline batteries instead. The transceivers use very little current (~35 milliamps in standby, with a transient maximum of ~100 milliamps from tests by others). They are sensitive to battery voltage and will automatically shutdown when the supply voltage drops to ~2.2 volts (or 1.1 volts per AA cell). Fully charged NIMH rechargables no-load voltage is about 1.2 volts per cell, while new alkaline AA cells supply 1.5 no-load volts per cell, giving a better margin to 622 shutdown. Lithium AA (e.g. Energizer Lithium Ultra) cells might also work with the 622s as they have the same no-load output voltage as alkaline AA cells and are long-lasting, but are also significantly more expensive than ordinary alkaline AAs.

All things considered, an excellent product for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable radio triggers that work perfectly, January 18, 2013
This review is from: Yongnuo YN622 Wireless ETTL Flash Trigger Receiver Transmitter Transceiver (Electronics)
After watching a demo/review video by Blue Martini Photography on these flash triggers, I decided to give them a try on my 5dM3 and 7D......these triggers work great. I received them a few days ago and tossed them on camera and flash out of the box- they work perfectly. Not one missed fire so far (100's of shots).

They work with ETTL, HSS, Zoom and all of the other flash functions, right from the back of the camera (using Canon 580EXII flashes).

I will be purchasing another set soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!!!, March 23, 2013
With this trigger, I can sync with ANY flash up to 1/8000! I simply mount the transceiver on my 5d mk iii hot shoe. Then connect the flash through the flash port on the receiver. I was always told that you must be using a flash that is Hss compatible to achieve those sync speeds. But I am using various studio strobes that are not Hss compatible, but still getting Hss speeds! Love this thing!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just as I expected with minor quality issues, October 30, 2012
The reason i bought this unit is for the HSS function. It fires every time. Looks very elegant.

The only negatives so far is that the battery bay cover can be easily knocked out, which happened with me twice while removing the unit from the hot shoe. Also, both units i received had the hot shoe mount in a slight angle off center. I.e., when mounted on the camera, the transceiver points slightly to the left.

On a side note, for those of you who own a Canon 5D MK III, I finally found a use for the "disable flash" option when flash is mounted!

We all know that when flash is connected to this body, "Auto ISO" is automatically disabled. This also happens when you connect this transceiver. So in order to take advantage of the focus assistance light that comes in the transceiver, and enable the "Auto ISO", you have to choose "disable flash" on the first menu from the left.

I hope that makes sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as Advertised (5D Mark III and 430 EX II), November 8, 2012
I purchased these triggers after initially trying the Pixel Kings. The Pixel Kings did not work at all for my 5D Mark III and 430EX II flash. All I would get was a random full power flash. Although I may have just received a faulty copy, I returned the Pixel Kings and gave these a try. These triggers work as advertised on my setup. I just put one of them on the hot shoe and the other on the flash and started using them without the need for reading the manual, etc. They are interchangeable and each works as either a transmitter or receiver. I plan to purchase another set to expand my off camera flash units from one to three.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, February 26, 2013
These Triggers work with my 600ex and 430ex II's flawlessly , Canon has its 600ex with radio transmitter, but IMO you could easily just purchase Canon 430ex II with these triggers for great Flash Photos. Many " so called Pro Photographers will purchase multiple 600ex instead of 622c's however its not about the equipment but the "shot"
The build is great considering the price and the Focus assist although bright, is acceptable and beneficial in low light.. Most importantly you can use Ratios with multiple flashes..
Save you money, get these triggers and spend what is left on purchasing New Glass.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great functions but extremely unreliable, August 24, 2013

At first they seemed great, though the FEL button would randomly not fire a test flash when using these in ettl. Ok, fine, I generally use manual flash powers anyways. I love that I can change manual flash power of multiple off camera lights from my camera with these, because at weddings you don't have time to constantly walk across the reception hall to adjust power.

Function wise these triggers are amazing. They do everything pocketwizards do. But they are just plain unreliable. The stated range is 100 meters if out in the open. That's way more range than I need for weddings. The problem is, mine don't get that kind of range. If I'm more than 25 feet away, they often don't fire, though it's quite random. I'm talking with brand new alkaline batteries, they straight up will not fire more than half the time when I am anything past 25 feet away. I have missed so many photos from one or more off camera light not firing (everything with fresh batteries, or using strobes that are plugged into a wall).

One of the triggers has an issue where I cannot change it from ettl mode to manual, the option is missing in the camera menu, until I do a hard reset of the trigger. Then it works for a while, and does the same thing, making me constantly have to reset the trigger. I've emailed yongnuo and will wait to see what they say, however it looks like I will have to invest in some professional grade ettl triggers when I can to replace the yn622c's.

For hobbyists these are great, or if you are doing close range studio work they are great too. I have had no problems in a studio setting because I am close to the triggers. But if you are using these professionally, and intend on using them to trigger lights on opposite ends of a wedding reception hall, be prepared for having your lights not fire more than half the time. Even the cheapest triggers you can buy, cowboy studio triggers, are more reliable than this. In fact, when I had those they NEVER missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Way Cool, October 5, 2012
Greg Gorman (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - See all my reviews
I don't know much about flash photography yet, I got these so I wouldn't have to worry about line of site or HSS. Connect to the camera & flash, turn them on, and viola, off-camera flash. Then I discovered groups and the ability to set flashes to different duration/power. Very easy. The IR Focus assist is very nice too for when I'm not using a flash and it's too dark to reliably get focus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Unit!, June 29, 2013
I am a professional photographer based in Virginia USA and have been using the Pocket Wizard Plus II for many years to trigger my Canon 580ex II's. I recently stumbled onto a review of the 622 on You Tube. I had been considering purchasing the Canon or Pocket wizard units to go full TTL but the price was prohibitive so I was excited to learn about the 622. Long story short, I ordered two of them. When I un-boxed them I found the quality to be excellent. The packaging was very good and the units were well protected. I used them in an executive portrait session at a country club recently and was very pleased with the results. I had one unit on camera and one in a Westcott 50" Apollo soft box set on manual. I controlled my output from the camera and it worked perfectly using my light meter to get exactly the exposure I needed without having to remove the translucent fabric on the front of the softbox as I had to do prior to using the 622s. In fact, I was so pleased, I ordered 2 more. I had another executive portrait session this week and used two 580ex's for main and fill lights I used manual settings again and used the camera menu to set my umbrella fill light one stop lower than the main light and the results were fabulous. I highly recommend this product and may even try the Flash Units made here so I can have controlled back-lighting.