4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Let me start by saying that this product works just like the manufacturer says it does.

This is an affordable solution for those of you looking to trigger your camera remotely using a radio transmitter or fire off strobes, speedlights and/or flashes with a wireless transmitter.

This units a transceivers, which means they can act as transmitter or...
Published on May 5, 2011 by R. R. Garcia

3.0 out of 5 stars Works in most modes for Nikon D5100 and Nikon SB-600
Published on February 14, 2012 by Waymen Askey

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, May 5, 2011
R. R. Garcia "Rob" (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yongnuo RF-603 N3 2.4GHz Wireless Flash Trigger/Wireless Shutter Release Transceiver Kit for Nikon D90/D3100/D5000/D7000 (Electronics)

This units a transceivers, which means they can act as transmitter or receiver.

One thing to keep in mind. I have tested this using a Nikon D7000 and a Nikon D90. I tested each camera independently with the following speedlights: Nikon SB-700, SB-800, SB-900. The speedlights fired every time. I also fired the camera remotely using the same setup.

I put one on the hot-shoe in the camera and another in the speedlight as normal. The funny thing is that if you connect the supplied wire from the camera to the transceiver when you press the shutter in the camera it fires the speedlight and vice versa. When you press the test button in the transceiver attached to the speedlight it fires the camera and the speedlight, you can't ask for more on this price range.

This setup is not TTL. You have no wireless control about the speedlight power from the camera. You have to set your speedlight to manual mode and adjust the power setting to whatever you need. This will fire the speedlight in sync to the highest sync speed of your camera. In the Nikon D7000 is 1/250, faster than that and you will get the expected black bar on the bottom of the frame if you are framed horizontally. That also means, of course, that it doesn't support FP High Speed Sync. All things I can live with because when I need one I typically don't need the other. I am still using the Nikon CLS but its nice to have this kind of range and capability if you need it for this price.

If you absolutely need this feature, go see Pocket Wizard they have your solution for $219-$199 a pop.

I got six of this puppies for all my speedlights and both my cameras. You can't beat it for the price.

If you are contemplating the possibility of buying one, go right ahead, you won't feel bad about it.

This is an awesome price for these capabilities. You have a PC connection and that gives you extra flexibility in case you want to hook them up to a strobe.

April 27, 2012 Update.
Hello all, this is an update to add a few things. These transceivers are still working great.

I have purchased the more advanced Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 flash triggers to my bag-o-tricks. I purchased three of them for now. I am not writing this here to brag but to tell you how you can still use these Yongnuo RF-603's along with the PW stuff.

**Why in the world would he want to do that? I know right, crazy talk? Keep reading!**

The PW Flex TT5 system has a drawback that has been well identified through out the several training videos in their website and others. The Flex system is not able to trigger the camera remotely while maintaining TTL communication between camera and flashes faster than one frame every two seconds. That may not be a problem for most people but I always try to work around tech problems even if they don't affect me now that way I have an answer for when it bites me in the future.

The way I did it was assembling the PW with camera and flashes as PW recommends and then when all of that was done and all gizmos were talking to each other I proceeded to hook up the Yongnuo receiver to the camera via the GPS port as usual. I left it dangling from the camera and used another Yongnuo transceiver to trigger. It worked flawlessly. It was triggering as fast as I wanted with no noticeable delays. Notice that I never hooked up the Yongnuo gear with the PW gear. They only way the Yongnuo transceiver is hooked up to the camera is by the N3 cable as recommended by Yongnuo. This way you have radio TTL remote flash triggering along with radio camera triggering.

Anyone worried about RF interference? Its a valid concern. I looked at both operating frequencies and the PW (FCC- USA Version) operates between 340-354 MHz, the Yongnuo RF-603 operates at 2.4 GHz. The amount of space in the RF spectrum is so far apart that unless the devices are physically touching each other, there should not be any interference or frequency drift. (This is my opinion and experience, this information has not been professionally tested in a lab under controlled conditons).

Benefits from this setup:
-Mainly, NO delay between shutter press and camera triggering.
-Radio triggering on both systems, no line of sight issues.
-You leave camera in tripod and flashes in light stands and keep your Yongnuo trigger in your hand while working in a studio or on location. It also means that you don't have to buy an expensive PW radio to just trigger your camera.
-If you drop your Yongnuo trigger and it breaks is about $37 for a pair as opposed to $200 or so for a PW Flex.

I tried this setup with a Nikon D700 and Nikon D7000 along side my speed lights: SB-700, SB-800 and SB-900. I also own Yongnuo YN-560 flashes (about $65 each) and I use them as kickers and trigger them with the built in optical slave. Yes, while all the Nikon flashes fire in TTL. The Yongnuo flashes have two modes for optical (main flash, and M2 where the flash ignores the TTL pre-flash).

Now, this is what I call harmony across my entire camera bag. I don't like bickering inside the camera bag while I sleep at night.

Jan 8, 2013 Update.
Works with the Nikon D600 too.

Enjoy,
Rob

4.0 out of 5 stars Great trigger due to price, size, and type of battery required., June 14, 2011
Rob's review above is great but there are a couple of things I would like to add. The on/off switch is located in a bad position. It is located too near the hot shoe and necessitates that you turn the unit on before you mount a flash on it or use a key or other convenient object to reach the switch. You can bet your last dollar any new triggers made by Yongnuo will have the switch located on the side. This is a minor annoyance and shouldn't cause anyone not to purchase these triggers. On the plus side of things, these are fairly small, so I keep some attached to my flash at all times and a couple more in my shirt pocket. Another plus is that they use readily available AAA batteries. This is great in that some triggers use hard to find "non standard" batteries that are expensive. I have lots of charged Eneloops that I keep in a holder in my camera bag so I don't have to worry with buying batteries for the triggers all the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB for setting up a home photo studio - HIGHLY RECOMMEND, November 22, 2011
After much research including into expensive options such as Pocket Wizard, decided to give these affordable trigger units a try. Bought two for a simple home photo studio off-camera flash use - one unit on camera and one unit for flash. Units worked right out of the box with the default code set inside. The units performed so well (had only one miss over the course of several days) that I went ahead and procured two more so I can have two off-camera flashes. The battery life on the units units appear to be very good. My setup is around a Nikon D3100:

Camera: Nikon D3100 (set in Manual mode with A=f7.1 and S=1/200)
Flash units (2): Yongnuo YN560 (power level setup - 50)
Wireless flash trigger units (3): Youngnuo RF-603 (1 on camera and 2 for the flashes)
Hotshoe and Umbrella adapters (2): Calumet
Umbrella and background stand kit: Cowboy Studio

With the exception of the D3100, all the other parts in the above list were ordered from Amazon.

To be clear, these units DO NOT SUPPORT TTL, if that is important for your use. I set my flashes to Manual mode and played around with the power output levels to get the right expsoure for a f7.1/200 setting on the D3100. Mighty pleased with the picture quality. I have now added Umbrellas over my flashes to get even better lighting and completly eliminate shadows.

I would highly recommend this product - along with the companion YN-560 flashes from the same manufacturer - for any amateur photographer desiring to setup a decent home photo studio on a small budget (TOTAL COST excluding the D3100 of course ~$550.00).

Gave it 4 stars only because of the positioning of the on/off switch - which is difficult to access when flash is mounted on the unit. This is more a nuisance than a problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, December 12, 2011
Erol (Fairfield, CT USA) - See all my reviews
I have to say I was surprised by the high quality of these triggers. Even their packaging is of high quality you would expect on a Nikon or Canon product. I use mine with d7000 and sb700s. They sync unto 250th of a second but at that speed, there is a tiny bit of shutter cutoff at the bottom. On complete white backgounds it almost looks like I gobo'd the light to fall off at the very bottom of the frame. In most cases this works great. On horizontal shots I use this as a "feature" sometimes.. On vertical shots it needs to be cropped post production since it is only on one side. On a dark background it is not an issue. If I don't want this shadow and I don't want to crop the frame later, my max sync speed is 200th of a second. Flashes have to be in manual mode, no TTL here...

Range is as advertised. I can trigger flashes that are not in line of sight. I use these only when CLS infrared would be an issue. Otherwise I keep these as backup and use my su-800.

Lastly, these function as a remote trigger on my d7000. I already have the dedicated Nikon remote, but that only works with line of sight and close range and it has trouble focusing unless I set the camera to auto continuous focus mode. If I forget, the the pictures are all out of focus. And with the dedicated remote, I have to move the shutter mode to remote. Using these yongnuo triggers as a remote, all those limitations disappear. I can use it with all camera settings from any angle. Focus is perfect and I don't have to switch camera settings before and after I use the remote. By the way, they still fire your flashes while using as a remote.

I purchased 2 sets. I can use 3 flashes or if I need to be in the picture, I use 2 flashes and I use the 4th receiver to trigger the shutter. I love the simplicity. They all can be used as a receiver or transmitter. That's great.

I use mine with rechargeable aaa batteries with no problems.

On the negative side, these don't lock on the light stands or the camera. It is a nice fit, so the one on the camera does not really need a lock. But I would feel better if these locked when using them on light stands. If the umbrella is facing down, you need to use a flash mount that locks the flash in place. I use the flash stands that came with the flashes so I noticed this as a potential issue although my flashes did not slip yet...

I recommend these if you are looking for a simple wireless solution. I hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Alternative, March 11, 2012
Let's face it. We all consider the Yongnuo wireless trigger because we don't want to spring for the Pocket Wizards. I've used PW's and they are by far the leader in this segment. However, the Yongnuo wireless triggers are a great alternative to PW's in some situations. If you are in close quarters in a controlled environment, these triggers will do everything you need. They are easy to set up and I have never experienced one false trigger with my Nikon D70/SB 800/SB 900. I have only used them to control speed lights at a maximum distance of 50-60 feet. I have no experience using them to trigger a camera body which they can do.
If you are just starting out with portraiture or wedding photography and are not yet able to spend more on PW's, these will easily do the job especially in a controlled, predictable setting. Be sure to order the model specific to your brand and have fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works in most modes for Nikon D5100 and Nikon SB-600, February 14, 2012
Okay, as several reviews have noted this remote (Yongnuo RF-603 N/N3) will only work for manual exposure/power control with the Nikon SB-600 (or for that matter, with any flash that offers TTL exposure control) and that's perfectly fine (you now know that limitation). However, I've also found that at least one mode of the remote trigger does not work with my Nikon D5100/SB-600. Here is what works (remote A being one of the two remotes, with the other being remote B):

1.) Remote A attached to the camera and the flash attached to that same remote (on camera), you can trigger the camera and flash using remote B which can be at some distance from the camera (wirelessly, remote B acts like simple RF remote).
2.) Remote A attached to the camera but now with the flash attached to remote B which is at some distance from the camera, you can trigger the flash connected to remote B by pressing the shutter button on the camera (this is probably the most commonly used mode and it seems to work well).

However, the following does NOT work (at least not reliably, maybe a 50% success rate):

3.) Remote A attached to the camera and the flash attached to remote B which is at some distance from the camera and you want to sync/fire the remote flash by pressing the trigger button on remote B that is NOT attached to the camera (this is the same remote that is connected to the off-camera flash). This is somewhat like case #1 and indeed the camera shutter always releases but the flash that is off-camera, attached to remote B, will often not fire.

Thus, case 3 (and variations like it ) does not really work although this mode of operation is described in the instruction manual (page 10, called the "Function extend" mode).

So, if you're still with me I have a somewhat compromised workaround for this problem. Program the camera for a shutter delay and then you can use any shutter speed that is supported for flash sync. The problem with the latter is that there will be an approximate 2 second delay from the time you press the shutter release on remote B until the picture is taken.

This kind of makes sense if you assume that these remotes have a problem in switching between send and receive quickly enough to satisfy a bi-directional signal transfer. Note that the modes that work (#1 & #2) only require each remote to send OR receive (not both). Thus, in case #1 remote B sends and remote A receives, while in case #2 remote A sends while remote B only receives. However, in case #3 (which fails) remote B must send, then remote A receives and then must switch right bact to send so that remote B can receive the flash sync signal from the camera. So in this latter case each remote must both send and receive in fairly quick order for the flash to fire. I suspect that the problem is that they can't make this switch quickly enough to satisfy this more complex signal path (either because of a switching delay or signal interference). This means that the more complex cases involving more than two remotes may also not work if you expect one of the remotes that is off-camera to start the sequence (I can't test that because I only have two remotes).

I can't know whether this failure will affect all users/cameras but it's certainly possible that I am one of the few people who have ever tried to operate the remotes in the manner (it's probably not a common use mode). So, I guess I'd say that if you plan on trying to use the remote in this fashion (case #3) you are now warned that it may not work.

There is also one other problem (which could be pretty serious), if the SB-600 does an auto power down after several minutes of nonuse the remote will stop working until you disconnect the remote from the flash, you can't just turn the flash unit back on. In fact, I've noticed that if you attempt to turn the flash back on before you disconnect it from the remote the flash MAY enter a mode where it seems to discharge constantly (you can hear a very faint pop-pop-pop like the flash is discharging without really having enough power to fire the flash). This (discharging) doesn't appear to happen every time you attempt to re-power the flash, but it's a behavior that seems a little worrisome.

Again, I don't know how widespread this behavior could be, it may depend upon the particular make and model of your flash so YMMV (I'm using an approximately eight-year-old Nikon SB-600).

I've considered returning the product but frankly I don't think I will have much need for case #3 or any of its variations and if I really, really want to use that mode I think the shutter delay workaround will satisfy my urge. As for the problem with the APPARENT power cycling on my particular sample of the Nikon SB-600, I'll just have to be careful about letting the flash remain in that mode (it would be pretty difficult to overlook the conditions under which this might happen since the remote/flash will stop working until you disconnect the remote from the flash).

5.0 out of 5 stars 603 review, June 22, 2011
Good product, works well, arrived ahead of estimated time.
This product is a new item with its own operating system. It is not compatible with Model 602s. It does work well and has the added feature that you can use the unit as a remote wired trigger for your camera; if you get the cord compatible with your camera. It will do the half depress shutter to auto-focus and then the full depress to trigger. You can also half and full trigger from a remote unit up to 300' away. Any unit can be the transmitter or the reciever. Whatever unit is in the hot shoe or has its button pushed becomes the transmitter and all the rest become receivers. Overall, a great new system.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with the product, March 2, 2012
I purchased two sets of these to trigger my SB600 and Yongnuo 560 flashes off camera. I had purchased the Yongnuo 602 set a few weeks earlier and wanted to expand with the addition of the new flash. I tested these at home when they arrived and then took them out to a portrait shoot in the woods. They work great. No issues with missfires. The only con I can mention is that the on/off switch is diffcult to impposible to use one the flashes are mounted. You simply have to remember to turn them on before use. If you are looking for a cheap and reliable wireless trigger system this is the product you want.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does a great job unless you get a bad transceiver, September 25, 2011
I love these triggers. I actually have 5 of them. It used to be 6 but I lost 1. My first 4 transceivers worked perfectly but when I ordered 1 more set recently I almost returned them. Apparently, the "ON"/"OFF" switches for the channels of one of the transceivers is upside down. The label was correct but I guess the internal circuitry was not. Good thing I had the patience to fiddle around the switches.

Excellent Value for Money
Thumbs down on quality control - How can you get the ON/OFF switch interchanged?

4.0 out of 5 stars Used it for the first time, must say I m Impressed, December 29, 2011
Amazon Customer (AURORA, COLORADO, US) - See all my reviews
This will work as a remote for your camera.. Planning to buy one set more so that I can spread light on my subject from all the directions. Really amazed with the product.