5.0 out of 5 stars What the story is about...
I've read through all the reviews and since the storyline hasn't been mentioned, I thought I'd do so. These books are quite the hit in our house with our little one.

Published on September 16, 2005 by boxwood100

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I saw this book and it's companion book were by Max Lucado, so immediately purchased 2 sets to give to grandkids. They stories are okay, but the artwork was on the creepy side. I thought maybe it was just me, but as soon as my daughters saw them, they both commented on the graphics. I wouldn't think this look would be very appealing for little kids. Am sending the creepy...
Published 22 months ago by khmn

5.0 out of 5 stars What the story is about..., September 16, 2005
This review is from: You Are Mine (Max Lucado's Wemmicks) (Hardcover)

In this adventure, two Wemmicks Nip and Tuck start a little competition in who has the neatest box. They then try to top each other by adding balls to their boxes. Pretty soon, the other townspeople decided that they have to have the prettiest boxes and balls as well, and they carry them around so that everyone can see just how many beautiful boxes and balls they have. Punchinello, at the consternation of his friends, buys into this scenario and eventually, winds up selling EVERYTHING that he has, including his house, to buy all the boxes and balls that he can. Finally, the mayor's wife decides that to be the best, you have to stand on the highest hillside and/or mountain to show off your "stuff." So, all the Wemmicks climb up the mountain, including Punch, to try to be the best of all.

However, Punchinello winds up going off the path since he can scarcely carry, let alone see where he's going, with all his boxes and balls. He therefore, stumbles into Eli's workshop where he drops all of his boxes and balls. Realizing just where he was, Punch is too embarassed to look at his maker and just initially lies on the floor, face down amongst all his "things." After Eli calls his name, he sheepishly looks up and a discussion begins after Eli asks Punch if all those things really makes him happy. Punch says they do not, only Eli makes him happy. Eli also asks Punch to look out the window to see all the Wemmicks climbing and falling up the hill, trying to be the best. He asks Punch if he thinks that Eli made Wemmicks to act like that (i.e., scurrying around, literally making fools out of themselves for material goods that mean nothing but "status" to them. They don't use the boxes and balls, they just carry them around. They discard their friends, family just for "things."). Punch says "no," because he knows that Eli made all Wemmicks to be with him and love him just as Punch does.

One of the neatest parts of this book is the very end when Punch turns to go but realizes that since he sold his bed and his house, that he has no place left to go. So, he asks his Maker, Eli, if he can spend the night there. Of course Eli says yes and the last page is little Punch, curled up all snug and warm sound asleep in his Maker's house. Wow... Is there any place safer that feels like home? Nope! That's just so neat. Lucado did an excellent job on painting the feeling behind the "warm fuzzies" in that last paragraph.

Here's another meaning for this story - no matter how far you stray, no matter what you do, the Maker is still there waiting for you to come home.

Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars What's offensive?, September 16, 2004
Rosa J. Lopez "Dovergrrl" (Mineola, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Are Mine (Max Lucado's Wemmicks) (Hardcover)
I just loved this book, I went over it again after reading the previous review concerning "offensive material". Nonexistent. Eli doesn't claim to hate the Wemmicks for behaving that way, he is tolerant of their behavior,they are his creation. The same way God loves us, he may notlike how we behave on a given occasion, or our choice of lifestyle, but He loves us. Eli wouldn't turn a Wemmick away, and God never turns us away. When He's not in ourlives it's us who have turned our backs on Him. Read and give this book freely, it sends positive messages on several levels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tear-Jerker!, March 27, 2002
Beckie (Bonham, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Are Mine (Max Lucado's Wemmicks) (Hardcover)
I was brought to tears as I read this story the first time to my daughter. She looked up at me with the sweetest face, hugged my neck, and said, "You love me." "Yes I do... very much," I replied. Max Lucado's book will help the message of love really touch the hearts of your children or grandchildren... or any child that you love -- young or old!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the Basics of God's Love for Everyone!, August 12, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: You Are Mine (Max Lucado's Wemmicks) (Hardcover)
What started out as me simply reading a story for my son at the book store wound up to be me crying and barely able to finish. This story as well as You Are Special are reminders of getting back to the basics of what God has for us. The unduplicated joy of being in His ownership if we would simply allow it.

5.0 out of 5 stars We Are His!, January 7, 2002
"danilstorm" (Omaha, NE United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Are Mine (Max Lucado's Wemmicks) (Hardcover)
This is a great book for children, and the parent's reading it. This book, like all of Max Lucado's books, touched my heart in such a way that it has helped me put into perspective some areas of my life that I had not placed in God's hands. It helped me to remember that we are special because we are His, not because of anything we have or can do. And I am 32! What a special gift you can give to a child by reading this book over and over to them, reminding them of how special they are to God just because they are His! This is a must have for every Christian home in my opinion. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Is So Simple! Why Do We Make It So Difficult?, June 29, 2002
"tpg1965" (Des Moines, IA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Are Mine (Max Lucado's Wemmicks) (Hardcover)
We are God's chosen people to be His own and to serve Him! We are His! Great book for those who are searching for the meaning of life and for God's love so divine. Highly recommended for children, parents, teenagers, parents of teenagers, and anyone who is experiencing emotional and spiritual brokeness. God Bless You All!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading Across America--Dr Suess's Birthday 03/01/2002, March 1, 2002
This review is from: You Are Mine (Max Lucado's Wemmicks) (Hardcover)
I had the pleasure this morning reading this wonderful book to my 7 year old's second grade class for Dr Suess's Birthday. Reading across America in tribute to Dr Suess is being held in every classroom today and I couldn't think of a better book to read to these children..I not only had the classroom in silence, but the teacher herself was so taken in by the beautiful Illustrations and remarkable storyline, that she has asked me to give her all the information on this and two others from Max Lucado, so she can purchase the books herself...I felt like it was a great way to bring the message of Christ's love for his children to my son's classroom and on such a special day that it will be remembered always...I recommened to anyone that has children or to those that don't have children, to purchase these books for your kids or for even yourselves, I think it targets the adult audience as well with the story it teaches..It makes us all think of how we can add this to our own lives as well as our children's..I couldn't think of a better way to give this author anymore praise for his talent, then by reading it on this special day...

5.0 out of 5 stars You are mine, January 5, 2005
This review is from: You Are Mine (Max Lucado's Wemmicks) (Hardcover)
Max Lucado is an incredible author. His children's books are fabulous. How sad that someone would consider it poison. I pray God would open your eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Stop Reading This Story To My Child, January 3, 2010
Literally! This is such a marvelous story that not only portrays the awesome love of God for his people, but how he desires for his creation to behave righteously - I've been reading this story to my 6 month old every night at bedtime. It is such a beautiful fresh look at a timeless God.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good message for us all, December 2, 2001
This review is from: You Are Mine (Max Lucado's Wemmicks) (Hardcover)
In a world where our worth seemed to be measured on "how much good stuff we have", this book reminds us that that value system can crumble and fall in an instant. Our worth should be based on the knowledge that we are "precious in His sight" and if we will stay in God's presence and remember His value system, we will have no doubt of our importance to Him and our place in this world.

You Are Mine (Max Lucado's Wemmicks)
You Are Mine (Max Lucado's Wemmicks) by Max Lucado (Hardcover - July 18, 2001)
$16.99 $14.30