Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon March 7, 2003
�You Are Special� (YAS) is a 171 page compendium of Fred Rogers� wisdom in small doses gathered from his other books, newspaper columns, speeches, songs, and television programs. YAS consists of 11 short chapters of bulleted sayings, observations, and mini-essays, ranging from 1 sentence to a 15 line paragraph. The 11 topics are: You Are Special; Relationships; Childhood; Creativity and Play; Discipline; Learning; Difficult Situations (such as death and divorce); Communicating; Parenthood; The Partnership Between Parents, Child-Care Providers, and Teachers; and Growing in Adulthood. Each chapter opens with an original Mr. Rogers song. Although this book is dedicated to children of all ages, it is primarily a book for adults who want to improve the lives of children and their own lives. Roughly 80 of the material relates to children, even factoring in the sections on relationships and adulthood.
It was fascinating to read Mr. Rogers� take on various topics one typically doesn�t associate with Mr. Rogers such as children swearing, sex and violence on television, and even fitness. His take on fitness is that people need to love themselves enough to motivate themselves to exercise. Just about everything I read not only rang true, but filled me with a sense of peace and comfort. A couple samples:
*�There is no normal life that is free of pain. It�s the very wrestling with our problems that can be the impetus for our growth.�
*�We want to raise our children so that they can take a sense of pleasure in both their own heritage and the diversity of others.�
In addition to his own wisdom, Mr. Rogers, who was an avid reader, quotes from other sources including his grandfather, parents he had met, poets, and even scientist/theologian, Pierre Theilhard de Chardin. Often he adds his own interpretation to the wisdom of others.
I was very impressed with the depth, compassion, and in some cases, the originality of Mr. Rogers wisdom. I gained a lot from this book, even though I don�t have children. However, I think parents, grandparents, and other adults who regularly interact with children will gain even more. If you can find this book, it would make an excellent gift for new parents. My only complaint is that YAS doesn't have an index, so my copy is full of bookmarks. :-)
on September 29, 2005
This book has great messages for kids and adults, as one would expect from Mr. Rogers. It also has fabulous pictures of the Mr. Rodgers show set and many of the characters and puppets. My only disappointment is that the book size is so small. I didn't read the dimensions in the listing. It won't be very easy to read this together with my kids. I might return it and try to find a bigger copy of it.
on August 1, 2001
Fred Rogers, the guiding voice of wisdom and love for many of us as we experienced childhood, has truly written a classic with You Are Special. Mr. Rogers lends his tendencies of warmth, compassion, and a sympathetic understanding of our society and how it relates to both children and adults alike. I began reading while curled in a giant easy chair that pocketed my body; the words of Mr. Rogers and the sensation of being cradled in a secure place returned me to days when I felt completely assured of myself as well as believing that there is a simple solution to nearly everything imaginable. Upon finishing his work, I simply sat, feeling complete and satisfied. One realizes that it truly is possible to find a place in this world, be happy about it, as well as realizing that you have the equipment to alleviate even the most tedious of situations in this world: patience, kindness, and a strong sense of self-worth. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys feeling good about themselves and the life that they lead. Also, if troubled for finding the perfect gift, this could not be a better choice.
on June 18, 2007
For those of you who do not realize it, don't make the same mistake I made. The book is not a large book. It is great if your looking for a pocket size Mr. Rogers but not exactly something to put on the coffee table.

Even though I was discouraged by the size, the quotes in the book are still great, and just show how great of a man Fred Rogers Actually was
on April 28, 2013
For those of us raised on Mr. Roger's Neighborhood this is a walk down memory lane, a book of servings of "comfort food." Reminders of our childhood we can share with the younger generation, perhaps a page or two at bedtime, or as the wee one falls off into an afternoon nap, or other "quiet time" activity... those of us who experienced Mr. Roger's Neighborhood can extract passages to share with our children, nieces and nephews and even grandchildren. We all need to feel special, and Mr. Rogers did that, and in this book continues to proclaim the message.
on October 30, 2008
The world needs more of Mr. Rogers and his philosphy. He was an excellent of gentle, unconditional love. Love his books and love to share them with others in need of a hug.
on June 8, 2006
I have fond childhood memories of watching Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. He made his audience feel loved and accepted and very special. I am glad the shows still air on public television so my children can grow up with him as I did. This book is just the right size for toddler hands and my children love to look at the pictures and talk about what they see.
on February 20, 2015
I love everything about Mr. Rogers. I once wrote to him (about potty training my Deowns Syndrome son) and he personally responded to me with such kindness that I wept. He invited further correspondence as he was a personal, heart to heart man, always couched in the Spirit of Christ without being "religious". He made everyone feel special because he believed that everyone WAS SPECIAL. We should all be like him.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 19, 2007
I knew that it was small, but I didn't know it was this small. I don't think I've ever even seen a book this small before. The front has a cool mirror, too, which is a huge bonus.

I like how it's organized. It's broken into themes of what Mr. Rogers stood for.

It's mostly a book of quotes, but they're good quotes. One that was really interesting was how Mr. Rogers parents, at a very early age, let him use the piano to express whatever emotion he was feeling, and how he thought that was a really good way of dealing with emotions.

After mine arrived and I loved it, I ordered about ten as gifts for my friends.
on December 2, 2008
This is a pocket size book of neighborly wisdom from Mister Rogers. It is the perfect gift someone you love or to keep for yourself. This book is the perfect present for the person who has everything....
Mister Rogers writes stuff we all need to read like: "there never has been....and there never will be- in the history of the earth- another exactly like you!"
He also wants us to take a minute and think of the people who wanted the best for you and loved you. Thank those people who have helped you become who you are...Just one minute...one minute to think of anyone who has made a difference in your life.
WOW...
Mister Rogers really has a wonderful message and I love this little book~
It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood~