Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on December 3, 2007
I purchased this cook book and have been trying new recipes every week. I thought I would hate some of the recipes , like fennel, Hazelnut soup, but I loved it. I have been pleasently surprised by most of the recipes. I have substituted some items in the recipes, and they still taste very good. Ms. McKeith states in the cookbook that you have the option of adding or taking ingredients away from the recipes to suit your taste.
When you make the recipes, especially the soups, they yield a very large portion. I Make two or three soups a week, freeze them in containers and take them to work with me. I find I do not waste as much if I freeze everthing in portion size containers.
If you purchase this cookbook, a blender is necessary and a food processor is even better. The recipes are easy, but everything is made with fresh vegetables and there is A LOT of peeling and chopping..(another reason I cook on the weekends and freeze everything)
If you are American, the cookbook lists all ingrediants in grams and liters, I printed a conversion chart on the internet, so I know how many ounces are in an item. The oven temperatures are listed in celsius, but you can also print a conversion list to Farenheit. Last but not least, The British call eggplants an aubergine and a zucchine a courgette. You may have to do a search on the name of a food if it is unfamiliar to you, I laughed pretty hard when I did a search for courgettes and Zucchini was listed.
This cookbook is my refernce now, I have learned to combine foods I would never dream of combining and since I began eating her recipes at most of my meals (Not all! I still love steak once in a while) I can honestly say I feel better than I have in years... The main reason I will continue preparing her recipes is because of the huge impact it has made to my health and well being.
22 comments| 230 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2007
I recently started watching her tv show on BBC America and I am hooked! Everything she says makes perfect sense to me, although I am a health food freak. The cookbook itself contains very easy to follow recipes and most are quite tasty. I am not a good cook to begin with, but can easily follow these recipes. The book also gives nutritional information on the foods and explains why you should eat certain foods to help certain health conditions improve. I don't care if she is a doctor or a lawyer or a sheep herder, this is a great cookbook if you want to lose weight the healthy way, not through dieting but through proper nutrition. Excellent, and one of the few cookbooks I didn't receive and turn around to sell on ebay after realizing they are too complicated!
0Comment| 193 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2008
I believe in the little dynamo Gillian McKeith. She absolutely lays out what is needed to stick to her plan and the results are amazing. These are recipes that make the Slim for Life book workable. It is NOT all beans and sprouts friends. For a 'treat' (read yummy dessert) Try the carob brownies they were exotic and delicious. Life is filled with choices and Gillian explains why some choices are worth making. I even bought a small crock pot, rice cooker and blender to enjoy more of the
recipes. It is a well written and interesting cookbook. Try it!
on January 28, 2008
I got hooked on her show on BBC America, my sister bought me the cookbook a few months, and I've been on this diet or should I say life style change, for the past 2 weeks. My husband has dropped 20 lbs. and I've dropped 9, and we love the food. It's great to eat so healthy. Mind you I've always been a big veggie eater anyways, but in all my 46 years I've never cooked with fennel or leeks and now I can't live without it. She's right, my energy level is higher, my PMS is 75% improved and we are full. Buying organic is not that bad either, food tastes better and with not eating out or eating tons of meat, it is cheaper. We will keep on this lifestyle change and stick with it. Thanks Gillian. Now bring out another cookbook.... I had to order this book for my boss who know wants one as well, as he is jealous of my great healthy lunches. I love aduki beans.....I used to eat Lean Cusines, Weight Watchers etc, but Gillian is right, they have so much sodium. I'm not a fan of salt nor have I ever been, but my hands and ankles love me without the salt from these prepackaged foods. I'm hooked for life. A fan and skinner in Florida.
on January 20, 2008
Easy to read. I have been watching the TV show for 6 months by now and I never get tired of it. So I wanted to try the food she suggests to her clients. I already made 5 recepies such as salmon on leeks and spinach or macharel with pine nuts... Delicious and fast to prepare. I am a Holistic Health Practitioner with a passion in nutrition and I read her other book You Are What You Eat: The Plan That Will Change Your Life about the principles of good health and what food is good for what situation and I agree with her 99%. I really recommend it to live better, longer and of course to lose weight. I wish she were in the US.
on July 7, 2008
I love Gillian McKeith's program "You Are What You Eat" and decided that many of the recipes suggested to the participants of that show made sense. The only problem is that unless you live close to a large, well-stocked grocery store or health food store, chances are most of the recipes will do you little good.

I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but finding millet (used in many recipes) is almost impossible. Mung beans? Nope. Tahini sauce? Not at my supermarket. I use the overall idea of healthy eating espoused by the cookbook and make many substitutions. Unfortunately, that sort of defeats the purpose of the cookbook. I can't follow the recipes exactly.

To get an overall idea of what this cookbook contains, and before you buy, go to the UK's Channel 4 website for You Are What You Eat (just do a Google search) and take a look at the sample recipes. There are lots of them; you might be better off trying the recipes at the site before getting the cookbook.
55 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2008
I am a lifetime Weight Watcher. This book is chock full of Core-friendly recipes, making following my plan so easy. Gillian packs so many nutrients into her dishes that following the daily good health guidelines is a snap as well. LOVE this book.
on May 31, 2008
This book is well Brilliant! I started cooking things I never used before. I have dropped 20 pounds in 2 weeks and feel 100% better. My husband even started to eat some of my meals. The conversions charts for farenheit and the metric system are easy enough to print out on the net so not a problem there. The British words for some vegetables were easily looked up on the net too. Invest in a set of scales that weighs grams and ounces and you are set. My only problem is that the portions are way to big for me, so I always cut everything in 1/2 or 1/4. Remember this is a life style change; not a fad diet. Gillian also has menus that are designed for Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer.
on January 7, 2008
This book is so easy to use and gets right to the point when it comes to living the healthiest you possibly can. Very easy to use and find specific things you want quickly. If you are in poor health or just want to live healthier, this is the start up guide you need.
on March 3, 2008
As a family we watch the BBC America show, You are what you eat, on a regular basis and love Gillian. The cookbook is great!! The only thing that would be helpful is to include a conversion table because they measure things differently and also an understanding of the wording they use for vegetables. For example aubergine means eggplant on this side of the Atlantic. We love the program and the recipes and are experimenting as we speak. This is good stuff!!