5.0 out of 5 stars You Can Do It!
Larry Ferstenou got my attention right away by mentioning two books that everyone who wants to retire early should read: Paul Terhorst's Cashing in on the American Dream and Joe Dominguez's Your Money or Your Life. He also talks about a few dozen other books that can help in your goal of early retirement, but those two are must-reads.
Ferstenou has written a good...
Published on July 6, 2004 by takingadayoff

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Recommended
As soon as I see someone talk about 10% gains in a 401K compounded ... I know they do not know what they are talking about. Please do not waste your time with this book. EdD
Published 13 months ago by EdD

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars You Can Do It!, July 6, 2004
This review is from: You CAN Retire Young: How to Retire in Your 40s or 50s Without Being Rich (Paperback)
Ferstenou has written a good how-to book on retiring early, but if you are the sort of person who has figured out that you want to quit the rat race and live life at your own speed, you probably don't need a book. You have probably already crunched the numbers and figured out what you have to do. What this kind of book does is let you know that there are others out there who have done it already. It's kind of a pep talk to let you know that it's possible and that there are several ways to get there. And you probably don't need as much money as you think.
As a pep talk, You Can Retire Young! is excellent. Ferstenou has included plenty of nuts and bolts advice to reassure you that you are on the right path and also has an upbeat attitude that makes it easy reading. He gives resources, such as books and web sites, and cites examples from his own experience. By the time you are finished, you feel confident that you can do it, too.
In my opinion, you can get all the information you need to retire early from the Terhorst and Dominguez books, along with Elaine St. James's Simple Living and Amy Daczyczn's Tightwad Gazette. But you may need an extra dose of motivation now and then along the way, and You Can Retire Early! is one of the better books on the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Retirement Book that Rocks!, August 27, 2004
Cyndee "Cyndee" (Smithsburg, MD USA) - See all my reviews
As a veteran reader of frugal, tightwad and financial books, I was more than impressed by this book. It is not only a great book on the subject but very well written and easy to understand. The chapters on investing are especially good and Mr. Ferstenou's take on the Social Security system confirmed my personal views as well. The book also provides a wealth of resources and a good bibliography as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone EVER considering retiring!, November 11, 2002
Andy Bryner (St. George, UT USA) - See all my reviews
When I first started reading "You can retire young" I was confused why anyone would actually consider leaving the workforce early. I have always felt that our job in life is to give everything we could give until we could no longer
move. Throughout this book Larry Ferstenou has allowed me a completely different perspective on life. He has actually retired young and, more importantly, has not quit living! If anything his pace has quickened. The author's writing style is one that instills confidence that anyone can do this. He teaches you three simple rules that anyone can easily follow to build a net worth sufficient to retire. He also goes into great detail about the questions you should ask yourself before you consider retiring. With so many books out there only portraying one side of the issue it was refreshing to find one that really looks at your options from every angle. This book is well researched, well written, and down to earth. I would recommed this book not only to anyone considering retiring young but also to anyone who would like to retire at ANY point in their future!

4.0 out of 5 stars Valuable Information, August 29, 2002
I just finished reading Larry Ferstenou's book "You Can Retire Young" and found it to be not only packed with valuable information on retirement, but also interesting and entertaining.
It's helpful not only to those who are planning for their retirement in their 40's, but also for people like me who retired at 55. Larry gives a lot of details from his personal life including success and failure. I found his personal budget items and practical suggestions to be very helpful. I especially enjoyed the way he leads the reader from chapter to chapter with finesse and continuity. A good read all around.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is beyond fantastic, must reading for everyone, January 31, 2004
Michael J Yanosik (North Fort Myers, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This book, written by Larry Ferstenou, is beyond fantastic and is must reading for anyone who wishes to retire as early as possible. In fact it should be required reading for all high school seniors before graduation. It has me gotten me totally psyched up to retire young. I read it cover to cover three times, each time I read it I learned some things that I hadn't picked-up with the previous reading(s). In fact using the information in Larry's book I constructed my own spreadsheets to determine when I could retire and found that I could retire in three years at the age of 52 if I chose to. It is a wonderful feeling. Larry lays out the information in easy to understand language that would be of assistance to almost anyone. My thanks to Larry Ferstenou for writing this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars You CAN retire young, August 22, 2002
Susan Buchanan (Santa Maria, CA USA) - See all my reviews
If I had read this book sooner I could have retired sooner! I found lots of good doable ideas to implement immediately in my own life. Larry Ferstenou has authored a real treasure trove here. If you work for a living and you'd rather not, BUY THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars An instructional guide and reference to living well, January 4, 2003
You Can Retire Young: How To Retire In Your 40s Or 50s Without Being Rich by Larry A. Ferstenou is a financial self-help guide based upon the author's personal life experiences and specifically written for the benefit of anyone who wants to retire before age 60. Practical, easy to understand, step-by-step instructions and tips for keeping strict financial self-discipline, managing investments for the long run, balancing personal interests with the possibility of light part-time work, and a great deal more, make You Can Retire Young! a solidly practical and enthusiastically recommended instructional guide and reference to living well without immersing oneself in the excruciating daily grind well into old age.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that will pay dividends for a lifetime. . ., May 20, 2004
C. G. Williams (THIBODAUX, LA United States) - See all my reviews
In his book "You Can Retire Early", Larry Ferstenou tells about his dream for he and his wife to retire while still in their forties. While this dream is shared by many, only a few can bring it to fruition. Like most ordinary working people, they worked long, hard hours with only one goal in mind, early retirement. He tells how he was able to achieve this dream and why so many people fail. Disciplined saving, smart investing, and living below one's means are among the topics discussed. Also, his chapter on the Social Security myth is really something to ponder for anyone who thinks they can retire at any age without having a financial plan of their own. And finally, he shares his experience in investing for retirement. This was a real eye opener for me and prompted me to make a detailed review of my own retirement portfolio. What I discovered was that I was being hammered by mutual funds with front-end loads, excessive management fees, and 12b-1(marketing) fees. These fees were eating away at my retirement savings like a cancer. I'm now in the process of overhauling my entire retirement portfolio by switching to funds that contain much lower management fees, no front-end loads, and no 12b-1 fees. I'm not mentioning these funds by name since, in fairness to the author, I strongly recommend that you purchase and read his book like my wife and I did. The younger a person heeds his advice, the better. This book was written by someone with firsthand experience, not by some financial wizard who can talk the talk, but never walked the walk. Before you invest for your future, invest in this book. You won't be sorry you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 years and counting down., January 31, 2005
I am re-reading Larry's book, this time with a highlighter in hand. This book is for those of you who love work (or hate it) but love free time and what you do with it much, much more. I had the opportunity to take 6 months off in 2004 and to quote one of my favorite movies for my generation "Office Space": 'I did nothing today and it was everything I thought it could be'.

Don't get me wrong I am working like a dog right now and investing aggressively in stocks, IRA's, 401K, real estate (land and rentals) all with the goal of being done at 45. Now I might still work, but think of the freedom to not have to, or to work at Home Depot if it floats your boat. If you are reading other books on getting rich... read this one and redefine "rich"

5.0 out of 5 stars best book on simplicity and early retirement (a MUST read), April 13, 2004
This book is an excellent source for those seeking to organize their portfolio in preparation for retirement. Larry Ferstenou lays out a format that is easy to understand and follow. His 11 year retirement (beginning at age 42) is proof that this stategy works. At 55 it was the exact piece of information I needed to implement a process that will get me there. I especially liked the chapter 'Growing Your Net Worth', where he described how to live off your various investments once retirement goes into effect. The chapter on Social Security is also very eye-opening. This should be required reading for high school and college students. I am purchasing a copy for my 26 and 27 year old sons. The time for them to begin planning a strategy to retire is NOW. I also will donate copies to my local public libraries because I want my community to have access to this information.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›