Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

93%

on April 26, 2012
I bought this with my kid at the school book fair, and what a great purchase it has been. We have made many of the recipes in the book, from cakes to chicken and pork dinners, and stir fry.

The best thing about this book is the visuals, which are step by step visual instructions. Well done!

The biggest challenge is the age appropriateness for some recipes - that would have to be up to the parent and the individual child. Many recipes are more than 10 ingredients listed, which is fine for my 10 year old, as long as I set it all up in advance.

Also, while some recipes sound 'exotic,' they are mild in flavor compared with 'grown up' versions, but that's to be expected in a book intended for child chefs. I especially appreciated the Asian and Middle Eastern influenced recipes (Lamb Tagine, Chicken Tikki Masala, for example).

This book also gives an introduction to different vegetables, with pictures of them. Love that - I even learned a new veggie! Also like the visual glossary of cooking terms, and visual guide on how to chop, knead dough, etc. Very helpful. Of course, with the modern age, there is always youtube to go to when you don't know how to do something, but this is lovely to have it all in one place to peruse at your leisure.

In summary, so many 'kids' cookbooks are filled with unhealthy and tasteless recipes, things I would never eat, let alone let my child cook. Here is a place where kids can experiment with new flavors and everyone in the family will benefit.

A few caveats: There are ingredients and measurements that may be hard to understand since this is a British cookbook
Some recipes are definitely not the American version (e.g., Apple Pie - only a top crust?)
Definitely try to do the recipe yourself before letting your child have a go at it, if only to see if you think they can figure out the language or if
you will need to support them closely.

Thanks, DK and Annabel Karmel for getting kids into cooking for themselves.
on August 31, 2015
My 10 year old granddaughter checked this book out 3 times from our library. I bought her her own copy so she could have fun learning to bake this summer. She loves cupcakes and followed these recipes perfectly. The book is easy to understand and is illustrated beautifully. I would recommend highly.
on March 8, 2011
I have been acquiring various cookbooks for my daughters (ages 6 & 8) as they both like to spend time in the kitchen. Finding books that actually provide useful information for young cooks isn't that easy. Many of the books are too simplistic (have an adult come and cut this up for you), focused on sweets, or rely on processed food. You can cook provides wonderful visuals, detailed instructions and a wide variety of foods from which to choose.
on December 2, 2012
This is a great cookbook for a kid with a desire to learn to cook with little or no parent interference. It starts with boiled eggs and moves on from there. Of all the cookbooks I've bought for my daughter this one is the best. Perfect for a budding chef.
on January 16, 2012
All five of my children love this book and have enjoyed making something from it. I like the easy to follow instructions, colorful pictures and most of all, healthy recipes. We found it at the library first, but decided to purchase one to always have on hand.
on January 2, 2011
I always enjoy Annabel Karmel's books, whether ones for new moms, toddlers, or beginning cooks such as this one. I've found this one at our local library, and as is usual for AK books, the pictures are vivid and the dishes enticing. The recipes are not complicated, which I think my preschooler and I can both appreciate. Good sections on nutrition, the different types of food, and the value of a balanced diet. Vegetarian and meat versions of recipes are a good touch. Recipes such as "Salmon in Pastry" are visually impressive and look yummy.

Overall, a great book for parents looking for new recipes to try for and with children. Happy healthy eating!
on December 1, 2013
My 9 year old daughter has been working her way through this cookbook, much to our delight. It is easy to understand and has given her the confidence to try recipes from other sources. I love that it has some basic recipes as well as more challenging ones.

She made the apple pie and corn chowder on Thanksgiving this year and everyone loved them.
on February 16, 2013
I bought this book for my husband who doesn't like cooking and says he can't cook.
This book is great with beautiful pictures for every step of the recipes. The recipes are very easy to follow, very well explained, made with simple igredients, tasty and can be enjoyed by both children and adults even adults with sophisticated taste.
My husband made the "sticky chicken drumsticks" page 54. He followed the recipe exactly and the result was very good and looked exactly like the picture.
on June 9, 2011
Nice pictures, concise, easy to follow instructions. Gives a clear ingredient list. My 6 and 8 year old children have made quite a few of the cakes- yummy!
on June 8, 2014
My 7 year old can cook anything from this on his own (with help from me using any heat sources, of course). The pictures are colorful, attractive and aid the written instructions perfectly.