Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

Format: HardcoverChange

on September 20, 2011
In some ways, this is less anything "new" and more a glorified, extended interview of Louise Hay by Cheryl Richardson, put into book form. Its not exactly the collaboration it presents itself to be. So there is not a whole lot of anything groundbreaking, especially if you're a diehard HayHouse fan there are even multiple lists of affirmations for specific situations...) . There is a lot of rehashed info and stories you probably have already read in past books by Louise. Still, the message is always one that's good to be reminded of - and this book does it in a light, enjoyable manner: it's a fast read. You'll gain insight as well into the way Louise lives her life, which is quite admirable. So if you want a Louise Hay Refresher - this is the book for you!
33 comments105 of 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 11, 2011
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is not really about creating an exceptional life - it's more about how one woman created an exceptional life for herself - Louise Hay - as most of the book is about Cheryl Richardson interviewing Louise Hay about her life and career.
If you are looking for self help books about creating a better life or cultivating a better outlook, there are many books I'd recommend - I would not recommend this book as it's not very instructional nor inspiring unless you are interested in how Louise Hay triumphed over obstacles and helped to define and establish the self help/affirmation movement.

There are affirmations in this book, but you might be better off buying I Can Do It affirmation cards by Louise Hay.
Some books I'd recommend if you are looking more for an instructional book in creating an exceptional life:
The Secret
Taking the Leap: Freeing Ourselves from Old Habits and Fears
The Power of Intention
Think and Grow Rich - Think and Grow Rich is such a timeless classic!

If you are a Louise Hay fan or a Cheryl Richardson fan, I think this would probably be a 5 star book for you - but like I said, if you're at a place in your life where you're really looking for some real guidance, I think there are far better inspirational books on the market.
33 comments63 of 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! Of the 100+ books which I have reviewed here, this is now one of my top five. (I review only the best of the best books that I read, so top five among that elite group is an honor.) This gem is a pleasure to read, while being profound in a simple way. I so believe this can be a life changer for people that I just ordered twenty copies which I will be distributing as a holiday gift to family, friends and colleagues.

Full disclosure, I am a big fan of each of the co-authors. Louise Hay is an extraordinary lady whose leadership in the personal development world and in the business world (she is the founder and matriarch of Hay House which is such a force for good in this world) has long been a role model for me. Cheryl Richardson is equally extraordinary, having been instrumental in the development of the coaching world as we know it today. Cheryl is also a great questioner (one of many reasons she was such a standout when she did personal coaching) and a superb storyteller, two strengths she used well in creating this delightful inquiry into the philosophies and attitudes that have shaped Louise's life.

In an era where so many authors (and speakers) seem to feel they need to be in our face to effect change, I found the compassionate tone of this book to be a welcome relief. The book is written in a style where one feels that two good friends graced us with a chance to hear their private reminiscing of lives well lived. Not always easy lives, but - nevertheless - lives well lived.

But, it is the wisdom in the book that I most appreciate. Long time fans of Louise will quickly recognize the consistency to her other writings about her strong belief that we are masters of our destiny... that our thinking shapes our world. As said in the book "In our purest, most positive state of mind, we are powerful creators of our very best lives."Cheryl does a wonderful job of probing as to how Louise manages to keep the right thoughts consistently front and center, especially in a world where negative messaging is so pervasive.

The style of the writing and shortness of the book (151 5X7"pages) will likely have your devouring this gem in a couple of hours. And, you will undoubtedly like what you have devoured. But, the real value of this book is when you go back and start savoring the wisdom, in each and every page. Therein lies the opportunity for this book to be a catalyst for deep and meaningful change that can make this gem truly a life changer, for you (and for me). Happy savoring!
99 comments66 of 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 21, 2011
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am a fan of Louise Hay and have read several of her other books. I had not read anything by Cheryl Richardson before this book. First of all, it's a small book. It can be read in a short period of time. I was a little disappointed because I expected a little more. There are only 7 short chapters and a lot of the information is repeated throught out the book.

Although Louise says she has talked about her life story in her other books and won't go there in this book, she pretty much repeats everything else. Her whole start into the self help world, working with the Church of Religious Science, etc is all repeated in this book and was not new to me.

The description says this book is a "conversation" between the two, but it's more like Cheryl is asking Louise questions, quoting her answers, and then writing her own thoughts in the book. It is also really annoying that Cheryl would ask her a question as if she doesn't know the answer, then Louise will answer and Cheryl will say something about how she's been doing the same thing for years. So it's obviously not much of a "conversation." I don't think the book was put together very well at all in that sense. I got the feeling that they just had the idea for this book because they were running out of ideas or something, and it didn't turn out to be anything spectacular.

Other than those things, I found the book to be very positive and uplifting. It had quite a few affirmations you can use in various situations. Although sometimes I felt like I couldn't relate to them, they are people that I look up to because of their positive outlook on life and getting through the tough times. I especially liked how Louise explained that she does not believe in "hellfire and damnation" and that we need to release these beliefs that were taught to us in childhood. I believe so many people are starting to become bitter toward religion and disagree with the teachings of a hell, and a lot of people are rejecting God or any life after death at all. I like the new age/self help approach that teaches about a loving creator and doesn't push fear.

Overall I recommend the book but keep in mind it is not one of the best from Louise Hay and will repeat a lot of stuff from her other books. Basically just simple ways to implement positive thinking into your life.
0Comment24 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 28, 2011
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm already a fan of Louise Hay. I love this book by two exceptional women, Cheryl Richardson and Louise Hay. It's written in the form of conversations between the two, where Cheryl asks Louise questions about her life. Louise briefly recounts how she came to her life's work, but mostly focuses on how affirmations and changing your thoughts can lead you to a better life. The book is short, but the affirmations alone are worth the price. I love the way they are gathered together by topic at the back of the book. This makes them easy to find, especially if the reader decides to write them on notecards for easy reference.

The main thing I took away from You Can Create an Exceptional Life is the thought that it's up to me to choose. I can choose misery by focusing on all the negatives in my life, or I can choose love and happiness. It's there. All I have to do is find it, acknowledge it, and become aware of my thoughts whenever they start to drift back into negative territory. Gratitude and love are key to creating an exceptional life.

This is a book I'll read again and again.
on January 12, 2012
I have many books written by Louise Hay. I am a believer of what Louise teaches.

I felt this book read like a story about Cheryl Richardson's journey with insights from Louise Hay. There was a lot of verbiage from Cheryl and I felt myself wanting to skip over all that and find the pages that held the wisdom from Louise.

I would recommend many other Louise Hay books but not this one.
11 comment12 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2011
First let me say that I am a huge fan of Cheryl Richardson and have read all of her books. However, this book could easily be titled "An Interview With Louise Hay" by Cheryl Richardson. Although I have read Hay's "You Can Heal Your Life" book already, and found it okay, I really was not that interested in a re hash of Hay's views. She is a lovely lady indeed, but I guess this book deviated from the norm of Cheryl's reads. The size itself surprised me as most of Cheryls books have been at the least a substantial read, but I read this one through in a day. A lot of the same material is gone over, material mostly through the eyes of Louise Hay. Like I said, interesting to the uninitiated perhaps, but just more of the same affirmations a lot of Cheryls fans are already familiar with. Don't waste your money.
on September 24, 2011
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Wow, where to begin? I absolutely loved this book. The hardcover version is a very high quality book. It has sewn binding (red and yellow) and a beautiful dust jacket done in yellows and navy and red. Just beautiful! But the wisdom and story telling inside is what makes this book shine. I adore Louis Hay who provides most of the wisdom in the book; Cheryl Richardson is her co-authoring scribe.

Veritable gems I pulled out include:

Feeling Good: "If we could just make feeling better our goal, we would eliminate a lot of extra work."

Working with Kids: Parents can start with simple morning messages that the kids can repeat.

Complaining: "People who complain a lot are a pain in the ass for all those around them."

The primary Take-away: "Our thinking either makes us feel good or it makes us feel bad." It's NOT the events, it is the THOUGHTS about the events (Tolle, Byron Katie, countless others teach this as well).

Self Love: In therapy almost EVERYTHING always boils down to this - a lack of self esteem is primarily responsible for most of your issues. Cheryl discusses it as self love being the most important thing a person can do/have.

Consistency: Small, baby steps over and over will get you there.

The affirmation discussion, the mirror work and the thought disciplines will change your life, if that's what you need. I plan to spend the rest of my day creating gorgeous printed affirmations for myself and my children.

This is a knock-out book and so timely and relevant for us.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The title seems to imply that this is a self-help book that will help the reader create an exceptional life. While the authors are both New York Times best-selling authors, I found this book leaving me wanting for some of the same advice in a different format. This is one, long interview and does not do proper justice to the main subject" Louise Hay".

I feel like this book is caught somewhere between a biography and a self-help book. It rests between two worlds without finding it's place comfortably in either one. The interview format is just odd to me. Had this been an audio book, it would make more sense. For pure reading and gleaning of info, it leaves me wanting more.

The title could use a re-work into something like" "Understanding how Louise Hay Creates an Exceptional Life". Then my expectations are better understood. As far as a straight blue print for living exceptionally, The Power Is Within You is a better option that provides a lot more meat on the bones. If you want a light, short, conversational-style book ... maybe this will suit you. It's the kind of book that you might buy at an airport and read on a flight. As far as referring back to it, or remembering the bulk of it ... I don't think it has that sticky factor to it.

I expected more.
VINE VOICEon November 5, 2011
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I don't blame the authors for this waste of perfectly good paper. The publisher admits he pitched the idea to Louise and Cheryl, which in his mind must have gone something like this: "Let's see if we can squeeze more money out of you two cash cows by having you rehash your old stuff in a collaboration." The power-of-positive-thinking concepts are fine but could be expressed in two pages, and you've probably read them all before. Most of the book is Cheryl's bland "The Making of this Book" narrative, and without it, there wouldn't be enough pages for a book at all. Louise Hay wrote one of the best self-help books ever, "You Can Heal Your Life." Buy that instead.
33 comments16 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse