5.0 out of 5 stars We've read this book over and over and never tire of it
Published on September 26, 2007 by maman2

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard to read
This book has many odd semi-repeating phrases. They are difficult to read silently, let alone out loud to your toddler. My husband and I are regular, everyday readers and we love to read to our daughter. However, this particular book was very difficult to find a rhythm or safe pace to read with. The illustrations are sweet.
Published on February 15, 2007 by Jamie in Washington

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars We've read this book over and over and never tire of it, September 26, 2007
This review is from: You Can Do It, Sam (Paperback)
We bought this book three years ago and my kids (4 yrs. and 7 yrs.) still love to read/hear it. I was surprised to see two reviewers describe the text as awkward and "strangely repetitive." The text is repetitive, but it's poetic and emphasizes certain concepts. Typically children like repetition of words and themes. Regarding a previous reviewer's comments about spending more time on the "you can do it" aspect, I'd argue that the part about mama bear and her little cub working together to bake and prepare the packages is as important to the story as the actual delivery. What's not to like about a mom spending time with her son and teaching him how to serve his neighbors? The text of this book is charming and the illustrations are beautiful. We own all three Sam books and regularly give them as gifts. I highly recommend the entire series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reason for awkward phrasing., December 19, 2010
This review is from: You Can Do It, Sam (Paperback)
This is a beautiful book. The reason the phrasing is awkward sometimes, is that the author is writing from the recollection of Sam....he is a small child. That is why he says stuff like, "and we rode in the truck that is green."

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard to read, February 15, 2007
Jamie in Washington (Eastern Washington, USA) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one of my favorites, December 27, 2006
This review is from: You Can Do It, Sam (Hardcover)
Although the illustrations in this book are nice, I find the text halting and rather repetitive in a strange way, making it hard to read. The text, as the professional review suggested, is not fluid at all. I think they could have spent less time talking about baking the cookies and put more emphasis on the "you can do it" aspect. I don't really enjoy reading it to my son and he doesn't seem to prefer it over any other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A warm, soothing read, December 7, 2011
This review is from: You Can Do It, Sam (Paperback)
This is a great read-aloud story. The text has a nice cadence to it, in the mold of Margaret Wise Brown (Goodnight Moon Big Book and Big Red Barn Big Book), and it holds up well to repeated readings. It is a nice little tale about Sam overcoming his fear of walking up to the neighbors' houses all by himself to deliver holiday cakes. The snowy scene and the warm ending eating cakes in front of the fire bring a peaceful setting just right for bedtime. And the illustrations work great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely delightful!, January 27, 2011
Samama (Budapest, Hungary) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Can Do It, Sam (Paperback)
My children, almost 5 and 2, both adore this book. Granted, our son is named Sam, but I don't think that is the only reason that we all know this book by heart. This is one of the few books BOTH our son and daughter have insisted on reading over and over again. I am surprised to hear that other reviewers found the text awkward, as we find it delightfully poetic. We have all 3 books in this series, but this is definitely our favourite. We have quite a large library of children's books, and this one is definitely among our top picks. I simply can't fault a book that inspires children to kindness, generosity, and a loving bond with their mom! We're off to bake some of 'Sam's cakes' right now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindness, March 4, 2010
This review is from: You Can Do It, Sam (Paperback)
Bear cub Sam's Mom spends a snowy morning teaching him the importance of acts of kindness. Baking little cakes, then wrapping and delivering them to unsuspecting neighbors (who are probably still abed) forms the nucleus of this little adventure. Sam learns a little something about competence, and that generosity comes with its own reward, in a beautiful, cozy, snowy landscape. My three year old granddaughter was entranced yesterday when we read this together. So was I!

5.0 out of 5 stars A favorite children author, February 3, 2010
C. Kennedy "CK" (Byfield, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Can Do It, Sam (Hardcover)
My kids (6 and 4) have loved this book. I love to give it as a gift. It's beautifully written. Poetic. It doesn't follow that same old sing song of other books. It's evocative and sweet. I love when the little bear snuggles into Mama's soft, round belly and they warm their toes in fat socks and they tell the story about a little bear who brings cakes to their friend "all by himself" and his friends love them so much. It rings so true and so beautifully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Story, December 3, 2004
Vickie (United Arab Emirates) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Can Do it, Sam (Paperback)
"You Can Do It, Sam" is a terrific bedtime story for preschoolers. My four year old loves this story; a story about a bear named Sam who could deliver special treats to his friends on Plum Street all by himself! It's nice to find quality children's literature and not always easy to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended by our two year old, January 20, 2014
CWei (cambridge, ma) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Can Do It, Sam (Paperback)
We checked this out of the library today. We've had to read it to our two-year-old son probably 12xs already. It combines two of his big interests -- cooking and trucks. The illustrations are beautiful and the story is lovely. Highly recommend!

FOLLOW UP: We bought this book in hard cover from an independent seller, since the hard cover isn't in print. We received a smaller version of the book that seems to have been put out via a Kohl's fundraising campaign. It is not nearly as nice as the original hard cover version we checkout of the library. Buyer beware / clarify if you are interested in a hard cover copy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb02ab078)

You Can Do It, Sam
You Can Do It, Sam by Amy Hest (Paperback - August 14, 2007)
$4.99 $4.49