Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

VINE VOICEon April 16, 2010
You can't shake your unhappiness at work.

You feel like a square peg in a round hole.

You love people, but you are stuck behind a cube every day.

You feel bored and unhappy.

You were created for a purpose, but not just any purpose-A special, divine purpose. Understanding that purpose and knowing how to go after it is the message of this book.

Although this book targets young adults, I found the message of this book to be motivating and inspiring. It helped me to view my job as a homeschooling mother of 3 children not just as a job, but as a role created specifically for me. It challenged me to think through many of my strengths and understand why certain areas are harder for me. It also was helpful in viewing the strengths and weaknesses of my children.

Max Lucado has a wonderful way of keeping your attention with powerful stories about other people and biblical truths that speak right to your heart. This small "gift sized" book was packed with truths and thought-provoking statements about how God made us, uses us, and wants us to find our "sweet spot" so we can serve Him better.

This book is a short read (127 pages), which was kind of disappointing. I had hoped for maybe some kind of a checklist to assess your skills at the end, but there was none. However, Lucado gave me something to think about and for that he gets my approval. This book would make a great gift, as the cover mentions, for the Graduate. It is hardbound and the picture on the front is a great one for this book. I think if you read this book, you will find yourself thinking about your divine purpose in a new light. It's never too late to seek your purpose in life or think about where God wants you. This book offers a great message to those who are thinking about God's call on their lives and where to go with it.

Disclosure: I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their [...] book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
on August 23, 2010
"You Can Be Everything God Wants You To Be" by Max Lucado is a great gift-book for the graduate in your life (it even says so on the cover). It is composed of selections from Lucado's book, "Cure For The Common Life." If you're going to get just one of these books, I'd recommend, "Cure For The Common Life," as you get a more in-depth look at living in your "sweet spot." However, if you're gifting it to someone younger or someone with less of an attention span for books, "Everything" is the way to go.

"Everything" is an easy read, as is all of Lucado's work that I've read. It's premise is that God has given you a sweet spot in which to live- a place where your passions meet the aptitudes which God has given you. Lucado encourages you to probe your uniqueness in order to find what God has for you to do. He recommends that you take a look at the metaphorical suitcase which He packed for your trip into this world. What talents, preferences, strengths, etc. are in your suitcase? That's the key to finding your sweet spot.

I recommend this book. It's not a mind-blower, but it's a good thought-provoker, especially for those who don't feel they're in their sweet spot, or those in a time of transition, like the graduate.
on August 31, 2010
Max Lucado writes in a style all his own, and I enjoy the way he personalizes the topic he is writing about to our own lives. The title of this book summarizes it well - you can be everything God wants you to be. Not as the world says, that, "you can be anything you want to be," because in all honesty, that isn't really true. Max writes, "Our Maker gives assignments to people, 'to each according to each one's unique ability'" (Matt. 25:15). He goes on to say, "God endows us with gifts so we can make Him know. Period." He quotes 1 Corinthians 13:7 "Each person is given something to do that shows who God is." (MSG)

This book is promoted as a good gift book for graduates, and this is true, but as a 50-something grandmother, I was encouraged by the Biblical perspective for us each to be the person God created us to be, no matter our age or vocation. Max encourages us to take a good look at where we are in life and what we are doing with a perspective of contentment, not for money or accolades.

It is a short book and an easy read, and I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to encourage others in their walk of the life created for them by God. They will not be disappointed.
on January 4, 2013
This book is nice, short and has some really good points, but overall if you are not a christian it will do you little good. It is not a how to book or anything like that. It doesnt give you tips or life skills but instead tells people how you cannot do anything you want. Instead, you can search for God's purpose for you and achieve happiness in your life and occupation. Its main theme is "let go and let God." I personally found some points intruiging/insightful. It was written by a bible scholar guy so I guess he knows what he's talking about. The main problem was it did not go in depth at how to find God's plan as much. It simply stated that God has every person wired for a specific task, with pre-packed skills and dispositions that will enable him to do that job which God has planned for him/her. It is very short and therefore could not reiterate this point unbearably. It also states that the main problem with depression and low productivity in the work force is because people are doing jobs ill-suited for them due to the fact that the jobs pay more, or whatever reason. I agree whith this but found no answer to my question. I am a student personally trying to figure out my occupation, and after reading this book last night I am no closer to understanding God's will for my life than before. That is why it gets 4 stars instead of 5.
on July 3, 2010
Thanks to Booksneeze, another amazing book has graced our home through the wonderful, yet sometimes overlooked, mail delivery service. Max Lucado, enough said. This smaller-sized, beautiful hardback book would make a great gift for anyone, yet especially for a graduate. It contains short (2-3 page) chapters that address topics titled, 'Find Your Sweet Spot', 'Unpack Your Bag', "Be You-Unique', and 'Read Your Life Backward'.

I just love the summary on the back of the book, it reads:

Da Vinci inted one Mona Lisa. Beethoven composed on Fifth Symphony. And God made one version of you. He custom designed you for a one-of-a-kind assignment. You cannot be anything you want to be. But you can be everything God wants you to be.

Perhaps you've never read a book by Max, or perhaps you have a library full. Either way, this one is a must. Beautifully illustrated, and scriptures filled throughout, I can't wait to give a copy away.
on August 3, 2012
If you are looking for a significant gift for the graduate in your life, "You Can Be Everything God Wants You To Be" by Max Lucado should be considered. It is a great gift for a young person who is stepping out to find their own way in life.

This inspirational book is composed of selections from Lucado's book, "Cure For The Common Life." While "Cure For The Common Life" provides a more in-depth look at living in your "sweet spot," "Everything" is perfect for someone younger or someone with less of an attention span for books.

As consistent with all of Lucado's books, "Everything" is an easy read. It's premise is that God has given each person a
sweet spot in which to live- a place where passions meet the aptitudes which God has given. Lucado encourages the reader to probe his or her uniqueness in order to find what God has for them to do. Lucado recommends taking a look at the metaphorical suitcase which God packed for your trip into this world. What talents, preferences, strengths, etc. are in your suitcase? That's the key to finding your sweet spot.

This book will leave the reader feeling hopeful about the future ahead, and hope is something every graduate could use. I recommend this thought-provoking book, especially for those who don't feel they're in their sweet spot, or those in a time of transition, like the graduate.
on May 27, 2012
Still looking for the perfect gift for the graduate in your life? Grab a copy of You Can Be Everything God Wants You To Be by Max Lucado! This small gift book packs the perfect punch from page 1, encouraging the reader to look at their life and determine their gifts, passions, and uniqueness. For it is in these things that one will find their purpose in life.

Max Lucado has always been a favorite author of mine, and I've not read one book of his that I didn't like. The same can be said for this little book. Not only is the message profound and inspiring, the format of the book is engaging. There are relevant scriptures at the beginning of each chapter, important passages highlighted in the margins, and unique illustrations throughout.

This little book has such a powerful, Godly message for those seeking God's purpose for their life. Not only would I recommend it to the recent high school or college graduate, but I highly recommend it to anyone who is wanting to know what God wants them to be in life!
on June 24, 2010
I received this book to review as a part of Thomas Nelson Publishers Book Sneeze program. Max Lucado just has an amazing way with words. I love how his books feel like they are speaking directly to you. You Can Be Everything God Wants You To Be is no different. This is such an easy and encouraging read. This little book truly makes you feel unique and created for a special purpose. It is great for anyone who feels like they do not know where they are going with their life, stuck in a rut, or just need some encouragement that God made them for a reason. God made only one you for a unique purpose despite what the world may be telling you. This is a fantastic gift book and will warm the heart of anyone who reads it.
on February 28, 2011
Max Lucado is one of my favorite inspirational authors. His ability to paint word-pictures speaks directly to my heart, and this little book does not miss the target! Whether given as a gift to a new graduate, or in a gift bag to a new parent - it is an easy read and speaks volumes to the measure of your life.

Encouraging you to remember that you are ONE OF A KIND, designed for a ONE OF A KIND life, Lucado offers advice and motivation throughout life's journey and stages, particularly to young people.

Because of it's size, it's perfect for a bookbag or tote and does not require much time to get much content. An easy read, yet profoundly thoughtful, this is a good book to keep handy!
on July 7, 2010
This book will probably end up on my toilet as a bathroom read. It did not spark my thought. It felt like I was sitting on my mother's lap hearing that everyone is a winner. A game plan at best for the person who doesn't feel like humanity respects his place in the world. I didn't hate it, but it was not for me.