Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: You Can Trust a Skinny Cook
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 8, 2011
I got one of the first copies of this cookbook, and it looks like something we're going to be using a lot. It's got a terrific mix of recipes -- for different types of meals, different seasons, different prep modes (sometimes you want to get 3-4 people together working in the kitchen, sometimes you need to pull it together quickly on your own)and different occasions, from a kitchen dinner for two to a dinner party. Ms. Fishman is a really good writer and communicator, and her love of food bounces off the page. Great book for writing in the margins or passing along as a gift.
on April 9, 2011
Allison's approach to eating and cooking is exactly what we need right now. What I love best is You Can Trust a Skinny Cook encourages you to take control of the stove, your eating habits and use fresh ingredients without any lecture or preaching. That's a rare gift to find these days in a very cluttered world of opinionated foodies. Her message of eating real food is supported by well-written, approachable recipes and a funny neighbor-next door voice, sharing secrets to really great homecooking.
on May 1, 2011
No matter what your skill is as a cook this cookbook will be a cornerstone in your kitchen. Allison is bright and colorful both in the recipes she presented and in the anecdotes she shares.
I do not ever remember having a cookbook that I read through cover to cover. This is a book to read. And then use it every day. I just finished eating a Sunrise muffin. I have pork tenderloin in the refrigerator for dinner today. Roasted broccoli, yum. The joy that Allison has for cooking is evident in every readable page. I am so glad to have new recipes to help me get healthy. Recipes that have foods that "my great-great grandmother would recognize". I have long protested fake and processed foods. Feeling that if you dont know what they are you people probably shouldn't eat them.
Thanks Allison.
on May 1, 2011
I have to say that this is by far my favorite cookbook. I have always loved to cook yet with school and work there is not much time left to cook and be creative while doing so. The recipes I have tried so far are delicious and easy to prepare. I look forward to trying them all in the future. WTG Allison for making meal preparations something to look forward to.
on April 19, 2011
Two things come across the moment you go through this cookbook. First, it is the funniest cookbook you will ever read. Allison has a biting wit, and obviously loves food and cooking. Her enthusiasm and joy will motivate you! Second, she knows her stuff. The recipes in this cookbook are straight forward and delicious. The more complicated stuff is easily explained.
I have made two dishes from this book (and have only had it two weeks). The Chicken Diablo and the Potato Leek soup.....both were bright and delicious. Her recipes are not going to make you into a master chef, but after you read through the book you will walk away a better cook with a food and cooking philosophy that is both enjoyable, tasty, and workable for your daily life whether you are single, married, or a mom or dad.
on May 11, 2011
Okay, so my family and I are EATING our way through this book - and all four of my kids are under 8 just to give you an idea of how good this food is. The marinated tomatoes, HOLY CRAP. Am dipping my grilled bread in them as I speak, she has just the right mix of twang and yum in the dressing. The apples, cheddar, honey-mustard vinaigrette deal, MOTHER OF GOD. Add all this incredible food to the hilarious snippets of hers in the descriptions and I'm laughing as I rub my stomach!! I am going out and buying 5 of these books for my five favorite women so they can enjoy as much as I am.
on April 28, 2011
After reviewing Allison Fishman's new book, we ordered a half dozen copies for family and friends. It's a great gift to help others who want to cook yet stay healthy. The recipes look great, are not too complicated, and often include new ideas. Pictures are an added bonus. We unconditionally recommend "You Can Trust a Skinny Cook"!
on May 13, 2011
I'm loving this cookbook! The veggie recipes jumped out at me immediately, so I started there and am working my way through recipe by recipe. The roasted broccoli is genius- simple, delicious, and very versatile. The kale chips are on my list to try out this weekend. In addition to recipes, the book provides tips and techniques that have boosted my confidence in the kitchen and are helping me become a better, faster, and more creative cook. Lastly, I really appreciate that the ingredient lists are short, accessible, and focused on real foods (I loathe faux and "diet" foods.)

Kudos to you, Ms. Fishman!
on March 29, 2013
This is a great cookbook with a good variety of recipes that all taste really delicious. This definitely isn't diet food, but it's healthy food you can live on. We've made 20 or so recipes and they have all been delicious. Many of them make gigantic batches of food though, so keep the serving # in mind when you're cooking! I've had to half a few of the recipes (I don't need orzo for 10...)
on July 3, 2011
Right up front I have to say that I haven't tried any recipes yet - but I do intend to! I've read the book from cover to cover and I enjoy the way she talks and presents the recipes. There are not very many recipes in the book compared to some books but she gives variations on a number of recipes and that extends the total!
I especially like the way she tries to make each recipe very tasty - so hopefully we will be satisfied with less. Personally, I don't see that happening but it is a very good premise.
I also like the way the recipes are sized for two people. To me this is handy - too often I end up with leftovers which sometimes I really don't want.
I'm looking forward to trying some of her recipes this week. Very easy to understand cookbook and her comments are very interesting and make sense.
This would be a terrific cookbook for younger people since it is written in a style suited to them.