5.0 out of 5 stars This Album Owns - Best Band in last 5 Years
Published on September 26, 2010 by Pat

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Let me preface this by saying that i loved The Foundation. I think ZBB has the potential to be Alabama big. There were several factors, in my opinion, that made TF so great:

Published on October 24, 2010 by Brian J. Layfield

5.0 out of 5 stars This Album Owns - Best Band in last 5 Years, September 26, 2010
This review is from: You Get What You Give (Audio CD)
Let me preface by saying that I love all kinds of music. From Country to Hip-hop, I love everything. My favorite band in the world is Dave Matthews Band, a band who much like ZBB is better live than in the studio. It took me a while to listen to "The Foundation" album because I wasn't immediately a fan of "Chicken Fried," but "Whatever it is" brought me on board to the idea of listening to it, and when I heard "Highway 20 Ride" for the first time I knew it was an album that I needed to listen to. But let me get to this album. There are 18 tracks available. The deluxe edition has 16, and the iTunes version carries an additional two tracks.

Now to the music.... WOW. Zac Brown Band is the best band to come along in the last 5 years and "Colder Weather" is possibly the best song I have heard in the last 5. I remember hearing it for the first time. I was watching the ZBB webcast from Bonaroo on Youtube live, and they were playing a fantastic show. About half-way through Zac took a breather and told the crowd that he was about to sing a song that he considered the best he had ever written. I wasn't sure what to expect, but from that beautiful piano intro, I was hooked! I was so upset that I didn't have a copy of this song that I went looking everywhere for it. I finally discovered that the song was available on a Live CD that the band had released entitled "Pass The Jar" so I immediately scooped it up. And that's how this crazy ZBB fan was born.

This album is incredible! I don't know how else to say it. From the catchy and single worthy opener "Let It Go" to the upbeat jamboree of "Whiskeys Gone" to the INCREDIBLE "Martin", a song about a man of music and the importance of his guitar, this album shines. It is not a country album. It is an album with some country songs, but mostly this is an album of unadulterated music. This is music. There is no genre, there is no box to place this band in, they are simply musicians and they present themselves as such. Lyrically this album is astounding, and much like Dave Matthews, Zac Brown WRITES all of his songs. You just don't find that often these days. So here's my take, song-by-song. Listen to this album! It is AMAZING!

1. Let It Go (10/10) - A catchy, singly worthy tune with a great hook. One of the best on the album

2. Knee Deep feat Jimmy Buffet (9/10)- this is more of a"toes" type song. It'll be great by the pool or on the beach next summer. Jimmy Buffet adds an increased island feel. Love it.

3. No Hurry (10/10) - Just a beautiful intro. I was hooked from second number one. Great lyrics, great musicality, very chill feel. Catchy chorus once again.

4. I Play the Road (9/10) - Another feel good song by the ZBB. Nothing sounds the same with this band, and the whole thing is filled with hooks that are memorable and delightful.

5. Cold Hearted (10/10) - Fantastic song about caring for someone who only hurts you with their cold heart. It reminds me of something from Motown almost. I'm not sure why, but it sounds familiar and different at the same time.

6. Whiskey's Gone (9/10) - The "Chicken Fried" of this album. This is one of the country songs on this album, but it's as great as most of the album.

7. Quiet Your Mind (10/10) - This song has a rock edge to it with this gospel inflection that's just amazing! QUIET YOUR MIND!

8. Colder Weather (20/10) - As I said above, it's the best song that I have heard in the last 5 years. It's perfectly written, produced, sung. Everything about this song is perfect. It's haunting, uplifting, full of imagery and essence. Absolute perfection. This song should be #1 for WEEKS.

9. Settle Me Down (9/10) - Another great "toes" like summer/beach song. Fun, funky, reggae like. This band is not afraid to try different sounds.

10. As She's Walking Away - (9/10) This song features Alan Jackson and is the first single off the album. Great harmonizing, nice gospel feel to it. Great song, but not the best on the album.

11. Keep Me in Mind (10/10) - Just a jazzy/bluesy/reggae feel good love song. Can't stop listening to it. One of the album's best. It's unlike other ZBB songs.

12. Who Knows (10/10) - The ZBB loves to jam out in concert, much like DMB, and this is their foray into a jam sesh on a studio album. 10 minutes long. It's freaking amazing, and you can tell the band LOVES playing this song. I feel like I would hear this song somewhere on Beale Street in Memphis from a band that simply loves playing music and exciting a crowd. This song does that for sure!

13. Martin (11/10) - WOW! I play guitar (as best I can haha). I've have my depressing moments in life, and there's this feeling when times are their worst that your guitar is the only thing that has your back. I've written songs, poetry, and even tried to write my own song about my guitar that I thought was good, but this song blows it away. When he says "He is a good friend, And he has his own voice. And you get what you give; Sometimes it's just noise. But if you treat him well, He will last your life long. And if you're honest and open Well, he will write you a song." Beauty and perfection

14. Make This Day (9/10)- This is my least favorite song on the album, but I understand why it might not be for others. Very upbeat. It's a catchy tune, but it just can't compare to the rest of this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars ~refreshing sound~, September 20, 2010
This review is from: You Get What You Give (Audio CD)
Song to check out: "Colder Weather" (track #8)

"You Get What You Give" is another solid album, which again is filled with impressive and widely diverse music. It's clear that Zac Brown Band refuses to fit into the same mold of most other pop-country groups, as their music is versatile, and sounds much different than anything else on the radio. Listening to this CD will take you for a wild ride on a musical roller coaster. Zac Brown Band continues their style of genre blending by throwing in elements of Reggae, Island, Bluegrass, Acoustic Rock -- along with a pinch of Traditional Country. It has a very laid-back and stripped down style throughout the album, with minimal production. Their silky smooth harmonies are soothing and very refreshing.

Their fresh and pure harmonies are very evident on the first single from the album, "As She's Walking Away," which also features vocals and harmony from Alan Jackson. This huge hit single has lots of sweet fiddle, along with a great melody, and lyrics that almost everyone can relate to. It has a very traditional feel to it, but at the same time, is breezy and refreshing. Another colorful song is the crisp "Let It Go" -- an upbeat and catchy song which is just waiting in line to become a hit single. Even though it's upbeat, it still has a laid-back and acoustic-driven feel. One of the most laid-back and carefree songs on the album is the very tropical, "Knee Deep" -- a song which features Jimmy Buffett, and almost certainly will become a monster summer hit. It's a bit similar to "Toes," but even more catchy, and soothing... close your eyes, and just imagine yourself in your own paradise. It's a simple song, but perfectly executed. The amazing and abundant acoustic guitar and fiddle playing throughout the album make it clear that these guys are true musicians.

Perhaps the best song on the album is a powerful and haunting ballad, "Colder Weather." This masterpiece of a tune starts with an amazing piano melody, adds a catchy hook, and finishes with their tremendous harmony. The lyrics are deep, and tell a story of agony that a "ramblin' man" is facing -- I love you but I leave you / I don't want you but I need you. The fantastic vocals in the song are slightly reminiscent of classic James Taylor style hits. "Colder Weather" sounds like a blockbuster hit just waiting to be released.

Overall, You Get What You Give is a refreshing CD, loaded with impressively polished harmony. It seems clear that Zac Brown Band is here to stay -- I think their momentum will only keep on growing, and this will likely become one of the top selling albums of the year. I'd highly recommend giving this CD a listen, especially if you were a fan of The Foundation. If it's true that "you get what you give," I can see substantial things coming their way, as the Zac Brown Band have given an extraordinary set of songs here!

5.0 out of 5 stars Would love to see live, November 13, 2010
This review is from: You Get What You Give (Audio CD)
These guys must be a blast to see live. Great music and they seem to have fun playing it. My new favorite band.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like "The Foundation -Part II" -- Great!, September 28, 2010
A. Lyons (Clare, Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Get What You Give (Audio CD)
First is a general overview, then you can skip down to the track-by-track detailed review!

Zac Brown Band -You Get What You Give (Sept 21,2010)
The band's fourth studio album, (but 2nd in the spotlight) and follow-up to the hugely successful double-platinum "The Foundation" from late 2008, is nothing less than a continuation of the toe-tapping grass roots musicianship, stellar vocal harmonies and honest songwriting that keeps Zac Brown Band on the top of the charts and a regular nominee of nearly every award available in the (country) music industry lately.

This album, while still a fresh release at the time of this review, contains several would-be/should-be radio hits, including the current hit, a collaboration with now-veteran country music giant Alan Jackson, "As She's Walking Away". If you're a fan of their previous album The Foundation, or at least the 4 #1s that album introduced to the radio: "Chicken Fried", "Toes", "Highway 20 Ride", and "Free", and the #2 "Whatever it is", you will no doubt find this album to be another just like it. Like those hits, this album is woven with upbeat hardcore down home country elements, country pop-rock toe-tappers, and soft emotion. I almost consider this album to be `The Foundation- Part II'...but that's just my opinion. And I mean that in a good way, believe me.

Following is a song-by-song synopsis of what you can expect from this album. These are my personal opinions and comparisons.

Track List

1. Let it Go
What a track to kick off the new album! Put the windows down and crank it up! This track is about enjoying life and has an inspirational message urging you to forget the crap that you can't do anything about while enjoying what you have before it's too late. If only everybody lived by the lyrics of this song...
Lots of energy and drive, sure to be a radio hit.

2. Knee Deep (feat. Jimmy Buffet)
A beachy, getaway song. Upbeat and catchy, this song had me humming the chorus melody throughout the next day, even though I couldn't remember the words just yet! This song has the same lyrical style as "Toes", and (I'll probably say this a lot throughout my review) would be a great candidate for radio. It's about wanting to get away from it all, and then finally being able to get away from it all.

3. No Hurry
Let's slow it down a bit. This song carries a relaxing feel, and the lyrics blend well with that feel. It's about not rushing around with everyday things- what's the hurry? Life is life, and it will always be life until we're laid down...so just take a day to chill and enjoy something worth enjoying. This song ties in well with the lyrics of Let it Go. Definitely radio-worthy.

4. I Play the Road
This is a different song. I must honestly admit this is one of my least favorite on the album- just because of the musical style. It's upbeat, more flowing than "punchy", yet different type of country song. It reminds me a little of the (instrumental) song "Jessica" by the Allman Brothers...the tone of the instruments I guess. The lyrics, however, are great. They're written from the perspective of a performer who must live on the road, and only `visit' his family. You see the world through his (or her) eyes, and the memories made on their many adventures. This is perhaps a like-it-or-hate-it song. I don't hate it, but I usually will skip it in favor of something more musically-pleasing....to me.

5. Cold Hearted
This is my personal favorite on this album. It is an easy-going, "flowing" song, somewhere between country and soft rock, with a wonderful melody. Zac's vocals work wonderfully on this melancholy, love-gone-bad, mid-tempo ballad.
The chorus is brutally honest yet very catchy. I'm not sure it's a chorus you'd want to be singing to anyone, but it's catchy for sure. It could easily have been re-worded a little and made into a wonderful love ballad, perhaps instead titled "Whole Hearted"- but that's why I say Zac Brown Band is honest- they didn't want it to be a love ballad. It may be too frank to be a radio hit, but I really like this song.

'
6. Whiskey's Gone
Now here's a fairly funny song...yet perhaps a little racy. It's definitely a honky-tonk hardcore country song, reminiscent (musically only) of a Ricky Skaggs kind of song...although there's no banjo- that I can remember anyway. It's a light-hearted view of a drunk man's endeavors to either get her back or forget her entirely. The lyrics are definitely PG-13. This is the fastest song on the album.

7. Quiet Your Mind
Unique to anything from ZBB thus far. It still sounds like them (it's not that different), but I can't say it's not really country per se. Another inspiring song about taking the time to appreciate what's around you, and telling your own thoughts and worries to hush it. It kind of has a sunrise-esque feel to it, with a powerful chorus, and some really great vocal harmonies from the band. Another favorite of mine. Probably not something we'll ever hear on the radio since it's a break from mainstream, but that's not to say it isn't quality- it is. It's a very good song musically, vocally, and lyrically.

8. Colder Weather
Let's slow it way down now. Other reviewers (on other sites) have given kudos to this song as their favorite. It is good, intelligently-written and probably going to be their next slow radio release. It's a somber ballad, heavy with piano, speaking of a "ramblin' man" who `doesn't want her but he needs her', and his love's heartbreak at this plight she finds herself in with her man running off, only to want to be with her again. I'm not sure I fully understand the story here- I've thought about it but I guess you have to be that person to truly `get it'. It's got a catchy chorus and plenty of emotion for ZBB.

9. Settle Me Down
Another beachy, island type of song. The melody of this song reminds me heavily of "Where the Boat Leaves From" crossed with "Toes" from The Foundation, yet with more of a rat-a-tat-tat acoustic guitar feel. It's about `cooling the fever is a man's blood'. The song has in interesting musical "interlude" of sorts, something similar (yet not nearly as obscure) as that in "Sick 'em on a Chicken"...you can tell they had fun in the studio recording this one...as with "Sick `em". I like this song, I think it's a good candidate for radio, yet not sure if it would overplay the whole beach/island feel.

10. As She's Walking Away (feat. Alan Jackson)
Here's the one most everyone knows by now, their first radio release. This song is nicely upbeat with very well-blended vocals and a catchy melody. This song is mainstream country. It took me a couple times hearing it to really get the message- I've come to the conclusion it's about taking your chance with love before you end up missing out, and "falling in love as she's walking away" because you drug your feet, or because "your heart won't tell your mind to tell your mouth what it should say". Alan Jackson apparently plays the role of the "wise man" (his father?) who shares the fact that he missed his chance, so he doesn't want it to happen to you....so "ask her to dance" before she walks away. The overall message is one of positivity- even if you fall flat on your face, get back up- at least you tried. "Don't let regret take hold". I think we've all been there.

11. Keep Me in Mind
This song is a very catchy toe-tapper and it is one that can easily get stuck in your head. This song also has a bit of an island feel to it- but I don't think it's intentional. The lyrics have nothing to do with getting away and all that, it's an optimistic (perhaps falsely) love song. He's bummed that all the pretty girls are taken, and he's telling one in particular to "keep me in mind", should anything change. The bridge is unique in this song, it takes a break from the musical momentum the song has built up and slows it down with some heavy orchestra strings and ride cymbal. I'm not sure if I'm alone in this, but it seems to remind me a bit of something James Taylor-ish at this point. Then the song picks it's momentum back up and carries on. It's a good arrangement, musically speaking. Overall, I think this song would perform well playing on adult contemporary stations- it is not "country" in and of itself, except for the context of the rest of the album.

'
12. Who Knows
Hmmm. That's my one-word synopsis of this song. It goes back and forth between a poppy-country and southern rock. The "song" seems to end near the 4-minute mark, and then there's the musical free-for-all...this song is over 10 minutes long! Some good musical solos for sure. I can imagine this song is something great to see live. I think they took a great live jam and decided to record it. In my opinion it doesn't have the same effect. Maybe it's just me....it probably is....

13. Martin
It took me about 2 ˝ times of listening to this song before I "got it". WARNING- if you like to decode a bit of a mystery in a song, then don't read this! I'm going to spoil it! That being said....
"Martin" is Zac's guitar. For those of you who don't know this- Martin is a very popular and expensive brand of acoustic guitar....hence the personification. This song is slower, similar in style to "Highway 20 Ride". It's, as we've just discussed, a tribute to his guitar. The song is wonderfully poetic and well-written, and if you don't notice the guitar parallel (like I didn't the first couple times listening) it's still a nice song. I guess I initially imagined and old friend who'd been through the wringer in his life. I think that's the genius if this song, it doesn't make it too obvious what it's about (other than the title), it can be just poetry, but once you realize it's a "Ohhhhhhhh....I get it!" moment.

14. Make This Day
This song is a cross between boogy-woogy and good ol' southern rock. It would definitely be a good concert song, with the chorus "Gonna make this day (MAKE THIS DAY!) a little better than the last (BETTER THAN THE LAST!)..."
I could see the crowd having fun with this one. As a track on the album though, it's not one of my favorites.

The Wrap-Up
I completely understand if my synopses are far from your personal impressions, but hopefully this gives you an idea as to what you can expect from this album. I highly recommend You Get What You Give to anyone who enjoyed The Foundation, or who likes what they've heard from Zac Brown Band on the radio that last year or two. As with The Foundation, I'm sure there will be a couple gems on this album that won't make it to radio--so if you're not a buy-the-CD kind of person, you will be missing out.

My personal view of ZBB are is one of respect and admiration, and I'm not that easy to impress. They are not only band members, but they are true musicians- top of their game. I would love to see some musical collaboration with the likes of pickers Ricky Skaggs, Brad Paisley, and fiddler Charlie Daniels. They have come on to the mainstream scene with a bang (4 #1s and a #2 from their first mainstream album)! Who else has done this? No seriously, I'm asking. I'm sure it's been done, but it's rare. Most artists are lucky to EVER get a #1 in their career, many are happy to get popular with a few top tens, max. ZBB has the sound and talent to be one of the top groups of all time. At this rate, they will undoubtedly be the next Alabama or the next Oak Ridge Boys (and I don't mean to offend any who think that comparison is sacrilege).

Happy listening!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shhh! Don't tell 'em how much I like their music, September 22, 2010
terpfan1980 "Barry" (Somewhere near Washington DC, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Please don't tell these guys how much I like their music, or what a bargain I consider this album (even with buying the Deluxe edition via their fan-club, along with a bunch of other really nice items including the cookbook). If the record companies learn these facts, they may come back and demand more compensation for the number of times I'm going to be playing these songs ;) Truthfully, I'd been waiting impatiently for this album from the moment it was announced, frustrated all the more as I got to hear a few of the tunes that were released early getting some radio air play. While it was nice hearing those tunes, knowing those were just the tip of the iceberg left me wanting to hear the rest of the album all that much more. Now that it's here, I'm as happy as a pig in slop (to use some ZBB/Southern Ground type terminology).

I've had the pleasure of seeing Zac Brown Band live and in person twice so far, and I must say I can see myself catching them again many more times if given the chance to do so. They just deliver when it comes to entertainment value, and this collection is just the latest demonstration of that fact.

I could ramble on about each individual song in this collection but the music speaks for itself. If you must, play some of the samples and let the tracks pull you in, though it would seem to make more sense to just order your own copy so you can get on with listening to this one yourself. I might be able to offer up some favorite tracks later, but picking any one song from this collection as a favorite would be an injustice to rest of the fine tracks that are included here.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, October 24, 2010
This review is from: You Get What You Give (Audio CD)

- outstanding lead vocals. Another reviewer mentioned james taylor (in a negative connatation). I lean this way too, but i find it to be a great compliment. Both artists are incredible musicians and very soulful performers.
- tight instrumentals. anyone who has heard ZBB, particularly live, will attest to this. its refreshing to have a band thats actually a band, if you will.
- FIDDLE! If you're gonna play in texas, you gotta have a fiddle in the band :) Seriously though, they use it well, outside of the obvious solo runs, its never overpowering or out of place. it really sings

All of this adds up to my main selling point of TF, its raw emotion. The vocals, fiddle accompaniment, and lyrics make you really feel the music. This is pretty intangible, but whether its the carefree "Toes", the pain of "Highway 20 ride" or toe tapping "Chicken Friend", TF always makes you feel...something.

Okay, so all that said, "You get what you give" does not leave me with this same emotional connection. Its doesn't have that REALness to it.I've tried hard to get there, but something is just missing. I'm not saying it isn't worth a listen. On all accounts, its a decent album, and better than most of the tripe being put out these days. It just isn't a great album. It feels a bit, i don't know, show-offy to me. The harmonies (which many have praised) seem out of place alot of the time. Instrumental portions too, just seem to get in the way of the message of songs sometimes. I dont know, these elements should punctuate a story, instead, in my opinion, they detract from one.

While there will undoubtedly be a couple of number ones to come off of this album, and it will be a commercial success, i really hope that the band finds that little extra heart they put into The Foundation sometime soon. If they can find it again and hold on to it, they will be around a very very long time. If you disagree with me, feel free to let me know. this is all my personal opinion and i dont claim to be an expert by any means.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Country Album, OK ZBB Album:, September 23, 2010
This review is from: You Get What You Give (Audio CD)
I don't know how to begin this really. "You Get What You Give" is a great country album, but when you have The Nashville Music machine on your side, you literally can't have a bad album. They've invested in you & they aren't going to see there investment fail. And that's what you have with this CD. The soul of "The Foundation" is gone, the home town feel...gone, & most dissapointedly, The Zac Brown Sound is gone. What we have is a polished, over produced Rhinestone cowboy of an album. It "sounds" alittle like everyone,you've got Jimmy Buffett, James Taylor, Billy Joel (the piano man years), Brad Paisley, Darius Rucker (check out trk#3 it sounds identical to "it won't be like this for long"), Dave Matthews (all that touring together really shows), & just enough ZBB to put their name on it. Every song feels like I've heard it before.

To sum it up I like this album alot, but I was looking for a ZBB CD not just another country album. And shoot, even the songs that sound like ZBB just seem like re-tooled versions of songs off "The Foundation" (I actually started singing along to them with lyrics from that album & they fit the rythem).

As a country album I give this CD 5-Stars, as a ZBB CD I give it 3-Stars.

Like a relative or friend whose passed away, we'll talk about ZBB fondly, but I don't think we'll ever get the magic back.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Album is full of great music from the Grammy Award Winning, ZBB, the Best Band to Come out of the South in Years!!!!!!!!!!, October 26, 2012
This review is from: You Get What You Give (Audio CD)
The Zac Brown Band are the best band to come out of the South, in years. They won a Grammy Award for Best New Artist. They are similiar to the early Allman Brothers Band (ABB). The band is full of talented musicians. I have their DVD and I love it. Also, I've seen them live in concert in Bossier City, Louisiana back in February of this year. They are a great live band.

This album is an outstanding studio album. It contains a song ("Knee Deep"), featuring Jimmy Buffet, who is a big influence on the ZBB. Also, it features a song with Alan Jackson from Atlanta ("As She's Walking Away"). The ZBB band is from Atlanta, Georgia. This album is full of great music from the beginning to the very end. The music on this studio album is very Album Oriented Music. I highly recommend it. Thanks!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great selection, March 13, 2012
This review is from: You Get What You Give (MP3 Music)
Great selection for any Zac Brown Band fan. Having Jimmy Buffet and Alan Jackson on a couple of tracks didn't hurt, either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific CD, February 16, 2012
This review is from: You Get What You Give (Audio CD)
Well worth the purchase price. I didn't buy this early on although we are fans, but I am so glad that I finally made the purchase as we are enjoying all the songs on the CD.

You Get What You Give