5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for the new gardener
This book is fantastic. I have been gardening for 8 years and I wish I had had this book when I started. Even though it's target audience is the young city dweller. I, a suburban housewife and mother of two, find it more useful than all my other gardening books (I love Martha, but I just don't have that kind of time or money!).

All the basics are here,...
Published on March 7, 2005 by mom22cherubs

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful for very new gardeners
I can see how this book would be useful for someone just starting out, or who has maybe grown a few flowers in pots/containers, but never jumped into something more serious. I am on my 2nd vegetable garden (started last year) and I am clearly well beyond what is offered in this book.

Published on April 2, 2012 by Laura McDonough

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for the new gardener, March 7, 2005
This review is from: You Grow Girl (Paperback)

All the basics are here, distilled into an easy to read format that is fun to read and ispiring. In addition, the book has lots of fun projects that are affordable and easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very inspiring - a great primer for organic and urban gardening!, January 14, 2007
Great book about gardening, particularly urban and organic gardening. The author's passion for gardening just exudes from this book and inspires me to grow things and get my hands dirty! It provides a very good lesson on what can and should be done; however, it doesn't go into a great deal of specifics (but how can it, since it covers so much ground!)... you will need to do more homework to do what you are inspired by this book to do. Fortunately there is a great list of resources in the back. You Grow Girl also contains a lot of garden-related projects (like making a gardening tool belt (apron), making seed packets, and making herbal bath & body products. Highly recommended reading, especially right before spring! YOU GROW GIRL! (For additional resources, and to get a feel for how material is presented, visit the website! yougrowgirl.com!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings the fun into gardening...., April 29, 2005
This review is from: You Grow Girl (Paperback)
I ran across [...] and found this book. It's given me a completely different perspective on gardening....from clueless to hopeful. After reading this book I feel I have the confidence to grow things that don't die after the first week. The book was very easy to read, very colourful and interesting. I highly recommend it to someone who is even just slightly interested in plants.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful for very new gardeners, April 2, 2012
Laura McDonough "Laura M" (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Grow Girl (Paperback)

I was hoping to get more info on growing vegetables & herbs --more details on best ways to plant, feed, water, and when to harvest. I got almost nothing out of the book for these topics.

It's a fine book if you are really starting out and unsure of yourself, but not if you understand how to start things up already. I'm just tired of searching on the interest every time I have a question, given the quality of advice out there is really hit or miss. Guess I'm going to keep searching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, October 22, 2005
This review is from: You Grow Girl (Paperback)
Although I question the subtitle (not much groundbreaking info here!), I love this book. I have a number of fat, wordy gardening tomes, but this provides the most essential, critical info in a short, simple format. Great job!

5.0 out of 5 stars beginners delight, August 29, 2005
This review is from: You Grow Girl (Paperback)
I purchased 2 of these books. One was for myself, I'm in my second year with a garden, and my friend who is interested in gardening, but didn't know where to start. It's easy to read and understand. The great pictures and quirky approach make is all seem like such a fun hobby. We were especially interested in organic gardening and the book made so many thing so much clearer for me. It was very realistic, since most of the other gardening books I have overwhelm me. This book is so easy to find things in, I use it as a reference tool and have tabbed a few pages so I can refer back to them over and over. The book is young and fun. I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty great and helpful, February 26, 2010
This review is from: You Grow Girl (Paperback)
I only gave it four stars because it is mainly geared towards people living in the city without any yard. I have a small yard and could use some more advice on how to utilize it properly. However, the book is fantastic in it's detailing of how to do it all: make compost, fix your soil, pick your plants, plant your plants...Very helpful and informative to the new gardener. I just hope I can pull it all together and make it work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, March 16, 2005
Miriam Rouziek (Houston, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Grow Girl (Paperback)
This book is absolutely fantastic. It's really filled in all the information that my mom's gardening books left out. This book is chock full of great information on plant types, garden pests, fertilizing, and how to make your own fertilizers and pest repellants. There are even great craft projects so you can make your own garden apron and seed packets. Best of all, the author's website [...] has more information for when you're ready to take it to the next level, or if you just need some extra help.

This has been a great addition to my gardening books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Grow Vegetables and Enjoy Your Garden At The Same Time!, January 9, 2010
This review is from: You Grow Girl (Paperback)
This is a fun and informative book for all ages.

First of all, if you don't have this book and you're serious about gardening, just order it. You don't need to read all of my long review. Don't let the name fool you. The information would be helpful to anyone. A confidence builder for newer gardeners? You bet!

You Grow Girl is well written and done in a way that makes it fun to read while giving you lots of great information! I really enjoyed this book. You can't go wrong with anything written by this author. I've learned more than I thought I would learn, without being afraid of making a mistake. She makes gardening easier. She shows that it can also be fun, not just a chore. I think she must be a joyful person, because it shows in her writing.

This particular book is appropriate for varying levels of gardening experience and it covers a great deal of material in a simple, easy-to-follow manner. There are pros and cons of various kinds of pots and containers and specific recommendations for those of us with dry, poor soil, compact soil, sunny and wet soil, shady and wet, and/or wet, poor soil. If you like to make planter boxes, you'll find instructions on how to do it. That's only one way the author helps readers to save money or, as she puts it, "Getting Your Fix Without Getting Burned." Readers learn how to determine if a plant you're considering is healthy or not and how to decode those tags on plants at the store.

I've got notes from the "Annuals, Biennials, Perennials" section on self-seeders, more notes on soil pH, nutrients and deficiencies and what will grow in the kind of soil you have. There is information on how to make compost, build and attach window boxes, and all about container planting. I liked her comment about when it's best to just go buy the right potting soil in the store. You may be interested in how to protect your plant from bad weather or how to irrigate properly or deal with drought conditions, fertilize, or grow organically. There are pictures of insects and instructions on what to do about them, how and when to prune, stake, and harvest.

This book is PACKED with good information.

I don't know how she was able to cover so much, so well, and without being tedious or boring. It's a very practical book and was definitely worth my time. I hope you enjoy it too.

I have lots of gardening books and this is very high on the list of my favorites. I learned a great deal from it and recommend it with no hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gardening for real people, February 4, 2010
Rebecca (Fenton, MIchigan, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Grow Girl (Paperback)
The way this book is written, you can sit down with it and flip to any random section, and be totally entertained while being informed. It's a book I never tire of thumbing through. She has lots of interesting insights into how to make things work, but she cuts to the chase, keeping each section short. I learn something new every time I open it, and I have been gardening for 10 years. It is written for the urban young gardener with a tight space, but I live in the suburbs with a medium to small back yard, and find it totally relevant.
There are also several different projects for off season, such as sewing a simple garden apron, making seed packets, making beauty products (did you know you can grow your own loofah??), that have encouraged me, a completely non-crafty person, to venture into new areas.
I have to say, other than the fabulous pictures, my favorite thing about this book is her completely readable and hilarious tone throughout the entire book.

You Grow Girl
You Grow Girl by Gayla Trail (Paperback - March 2, 2005)
$16.99 $14.94