You Have Been Here Before: A Psychologist Looks at Past Lives
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$14.95 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 21, 2000
I found "You Have Been Here Before" in a used book shop, while on a weekend trip... Upon returning home I couldn't put the book down! Having read almost the entire thing in one sitting, I must say it was an enjoyable piece of literature. I have read many books on past lives, but this one was different. The author's focus is on how events in our past lives influence our behaviors (even mental health!) in THIS lifetime. It was fascinating to learn of real cases of people being overly affected by traumas in an entirely other lifetime... and thouroughly different from the usual focus of books on reincarnation.
There isn't much exploration of the afterlife, but only of the effects of past events on our present lifetimes. That is what makes this book unique... to view the metaphysical world through its influence of the world of psychology.
Dr. Fiore's writing style is very casual, making the reader feel as if she is TELLING the stories, and logically arranged. She even renders the transcripts of her hypnotic regression sessions easy to follow... that's no small feat, as all to often such material can leave a reader confused. In all, it is not a challenging book, but one that is easily understood, yet thought- provoking.
The cases were obviously well researched, seeing as she personally obtained the material from her patients... and verified it through the effects upon their lives and mental states. Therefore, there is no need to bog down the readers with tireless historical data, as some authors do, since the focus is on verification through the psychological effects on her patient.
on November 30, 1997
We're all looking for answers to why we feel certain ways. When there seems to be no clear explaination, we are without direction in seeking relief. This book gives answers to finding the keys to our fears, anxieties, and emotional pain. It is helpful to find solutions to everyday problems by exploring past lives. An eye-opener!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Dr. Fiore is a psychologist trained in traditional treatment methods and later in hypnosis. She began to use hypnosis to treat clients and one day she asked a client to go back in time to the origin of his crippling sexual problems. To her surprise, the client jumped back into a life as a seventeenth century priest. The patient and Dr. Fiore explored this lifetime, released the sexual issues and the patient made a startling recovery that traditional therapy had not given him. Dr. Fiore does not try to disprove or prove the theory of reincarnation in this book. She merely tells the fascinating stories of her patients and their recovery using past life therapy.
on September 9, 2005
Dr. Edith Fiore, a San Francisco area psychologist, wrote this book back in the 1970's, and while it comes off as less groundbreaking now than I bet it did 30 years ago, it is still an engrossing read.

The concept is this: Fiore induced a trance state within a number of her (willing) patients, who then claimed to discover the root cause for their present-day phobias, difficulties and assorted issues. A woman afraid of men and relationships related details of a past incarnation in which she endured disgusting abuse at the hands of a man. Another patient suffered from a crippling fear of heights and saw himself dying after a fall while working on the roof of a Medieval church. Still another among the dozen or so patients whose case histories Dr. Fiore details here, felt his modern-day indecision could be traced to having suffered the consequences of making poor personal choices in several past lives.

This book covers a subject I've always found deeply absorbing and does a good job of describing both the process of regressing a patient to what may be a past life remembered in the subconscious, and also the effects of past life incidents on the present life.

Have we all lived other lives on this earth? I wish I knew. It's certainly an attractive concept. (And in its implications a daunting one.)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
For anyone who may assume that past-life exploration is all fun and games, this book will be an eye-opener. The patients that Dr. Fiore regresses in You Have Been Here Before have all had traumatic and sometimes horrendous experiences. This book gives us an inkling as to why a veil passes over our minds, hiding our former lifetimes. Nearly everyone, at some point in their lives, knows pain or fear or negative emotions. Dr. Fiore courageously guides her clients through their past-life traumas, with an eye toward releasing them and moving forward, especially in their interpersonal relationships. A thoughtful and intriguing book.

Richard Salva--author of Soul Journey from Lincoln to Lindbergh [UNABRIDGED]
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Dr. Edith Fiore is a psychologist who has also written books such as Encounters: A Psychologist Reveals Case Studies of Abductions by Extraterrestrials,The Unquiet Dead: A Psychologist Treats Spirit Possession, etc. She wrote in the Introduction to this 1978 book, "I wrote this book neither to prove nor to disprove reincarnation. Nor do I wish to settle the question of the immortality of the soul... I do want to share with you some human dramas that unfolded during two incredible years of my clinical practice---dramas of people whose current lives were crippled in one way or another because of tragic events that happened in their former lives..." (Pg. 1)

She notes, "Many of my patients have discovered that the causes of their phobias, fears and even aversions were rooted in some traumatic event of a previous lifetime... Insomnia and other sleep disorders also stemmed, in many cases, from horrifying things that happened during sleep in past lives... Headaches, pains, disorders or weaknesses of certain areas of the body were often related to events in former lifetimes, too... My patients have been amazed to find that some recurring nightmares are actually flashbacks to experiences lived in previous lives." (Pg. 7-8)

She suggests, "There are many theories concerning reincarnation and the mechanics of rebirth. One which is particularly intriguing is the concept of group reincarnation which posits that people living during certain time frames reincarnate together... Many people have developed a greater understanding of their compatibility with their spouse or lover after examining their past life links. Instant attractions, dislikes, feelings of familiarity or distrust have been explained by events in former lives." (Pg. 8)

She observes, "In most cases, the death experience is THE event that is responsible for the person's symptoms and problems. Previous deaths have affected us in many ways... I have observed many similarities and, occasionally, unique differences in these deaths... A description of the interim between lifetimes, taken from my patients' fascinating accounts, will have to wait for a future publication... many of my patients recall events in the interim between lifetimes whereas [Raymond] Moody's [in Life After Life] do not." (Pg. 216-217)

She concludes, "[A] question that we must consider is... could the former lifetime that is experienced be an elaborate fantasy the patient believes is reality?... So far that question has not been DEFINITIVELY answered in my own mind. I am doing research on lives in which there are birth dates or death dates and other concrete 'evidence.' ... At this point I feel that the end result, in terms of remission of symptoms, is almost conclusive proof." (Pg. 239)

This book will be of interest to those interested in reincarnation and similar paranormal events.
on November 14, 2014
I read this book decades ago, and decided I wanted to give this a try since I lived in the SF Bay Area and travel to Dr. Fiore's office was feasible. Her hypnotherapy technique permanently cured my lactose intolerance, my allergy to wheat, and a number of other food intolerances. It is not necessary to "believe in" reincarnation for this to work; it works regardless.

I would not call the hypnotic state a "trance" per se; it's more a state of deep relaxation which Dr. Fiore taught me, and which I still use to relax or to go to sleep quickly.

I'm sorry the one-star-reviewer was upset by reading this book, but you should understand that traumatic death experiences are virtually always gory and violent. If they weren't, they wouldn't have much of a negative impact in a subsequent life. And not all physical problems can be completely cured. I was born with fused C6-C7 vertebrae. I wasn't expecting to grow a new disc and cartilage. After a remembrance of being a Roman soldier thrown from a horse (breaking my neck) and another of a Frenchwoman beheaded during the revolution (I was neither rich nor royal, just accused), the intermittent sharp stabbing pain I felt in my neck was almost entirely eliminated. (I never finished with that one; I was laid off and had to quit therapy.)

If you've tried everything else or you think there's no treatment for your problem, find a therapist trained in Dr. Fiore's technique.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Being a hypnotherapist myself, having read all major books on past life regressions, and having conducted many past life regressions myself, I still found this book intriguing. I got the second hand paperback which was the first edition from 1978. The book looks like a novel, and the stories were no less interesting than any novels - Fascinating stories! That's how I love doing this work. Everybody who walks into your office, old or young, good or not so good looking, male or female, interesting or dull... after being induced into trance, they can all tell fascinating stories with real emotions!

Dr. Edith Fiore had this sincere as-a-matter-of-fact tone in writing these 12 stories. Almost the whole book is transcriptions in dialogue format of the 12 cases. That gives this book a casual tone, and makes it very readable.

Reading these stories might make you wonder why there are no good lives that were recorded. First, good lives don't leave scars into another life that people need to heal with; secondly, let's be honest and look at human history - how many good lives can there be?

However, some people do have good life memories when they just "try out with a past life memory", rather than using it as therapy.

Technically speaking, there's only one thing I found lacking in this book - It's not in the book writing, but in the therapy as past life regression. Dr. Fiore seemed to believe in the school of "Seeing is healing." As long as the patients see the past life, they are healed; which I found, is not completely true. It depends. For those who are ready, insights are enough to move forward without fear or baggage; but in many other cases, it is necessary to do some releasing after experiencing a past life memory, which I found, Dr. Fiore totally ignored, at least in this small book.
on May 16, 2000
This was a wonderful book. If you are unsure of reincarnation and are looking to learn more go with this book. There are real life accounts of Ediths patients in dialog form. Easy to read and get into. This book made me a firm believer. Even if you don't believe in reincarnation is a great book to read to gain insight in to these beliefs.
on October 26, 2012
I had been a patient of Dr. Fiore in Saratoga, CA during the 1970's. She used a then "new" therapy of hypnosis to get at suppressed memories from my past. It turned out that my past went back much further in the past than my birthdate in 1946. This book reviews experiences she found with many patient's and was interesting for me to realize that my past was not so unique within the general population.