5.0 out of 5 stars Substance!
Published 13 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Average at best.
Love the Herd, and love the radio show. But if you listen on the radio regular as I do there is nothing new in the book that you wont have heard already. Definitely not bad but I cannot give this more than three (3) stars.
Published 12 months ago by Andre Lynch

5.0 out of 5 stars Substance!, November 19, 2013
This review is from: You Herd Me!: I'll Say It If Nobody Else Will (Hardcover)
I read the first 100 pages of Colin's book today while on travel in LA, and let me tell you Colin: there were 5 firetrucks parked outside the Barnes and Noble on Rosecran as I left the store! To summarize: Colin talks about how his early childhood experiences gave him a vantage point for life after being traumatized by sports figures not living up to how they are portrayed on TV and through the media. Further, Colin goes with his gut - trusting his instincts as always- rather than being foolish buying into today's phony media trends. This book is classical Colin at his best: substance! Buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars respectable, November 20, 2013
I enjoyed most of this book. Some of the rants I had heard before on the show. Many of the lines made me laugh out loud. Still, I felt that a few of the arguments could've been better developed. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of college football. I skipped the essay on that. I would've wanted a slightly longer book, but I did enjoy the read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average at best., December 16, 2013
Andre Lynch "Dre" (Frisco, TX United States) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars If you listen to Colin.., March 8, 2014
This review is from: You Herd Me!: I'll Say It If Nobody Else Will (Hardcover)
and I do, much of what he writes in the book he has talked about repeatedly on his good show. So if you like him, this will reinforce that. If you don't, or don't know him, can't recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like Cowherd's radio show, but in book form, September 25, 2014
Reading You Herd Me!, by Colin Cowherd, is the equivalent of listening to his radio show. What I mean by that is that every chapter is a short essay on a single topic, much like a segment of his show would be. Cowherd takes a topic, such as Jerry Tarkanian (ex-UNLV basketball coach) and riffs on it. Often, the topic is discussed in the context of societal issues; conversely, Cowherd will approach a societal topic and couch it in sports terms (the impact of two-parent families; the success and stability of quarterback and point guard success is the example to prove the point).

Cowherd seems to be the type of talk show host that people either love or hate. He has very strong opinions (not all of which I agree with) and tends to go on about them. However, his arguments are usually grounded in solid facts and generally start from a logical premise. I generally enjoy listening to his show, and find most of his opinions informative. For me, You Herd Me! was more of the same. It was informative, enjoyable, and quick.

As I mentioned, the book is composed of short essays, riffing on a single topic. In addition, interspersed throughout the book are somewhat humorous and/or provocative quotes from Cowherd. Finally, there are also some brief takes on sports subjects that don't really merit a deeper examination. Because of the format, this is a very easy book to pick up and read, and then put down again. Cowherd's voice comes through in the writing style. It's very easy to imagine him speaking about the varying topics as part of his show, in his trademark semi-sarcastic way.

I enjoyed reading You Herd Me! and would recommend it to sports fans. If you are a fan of Cowherd's show, In The Herd, then I would highly recommend this book.

I received a review of this book from Three Rivers Press and the Blogging for Books program in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't like it, that's a "you" problem., November 29, 2013
This review is from: You Herd Me!: I'll Say It If Nobody Else Will (Hardcover)
Just finished this book and it was great. It's pretty simple, if you enjoy his radio show you'll enjoy the book. The print is good sized and the chapters are small so its a quick read and it isn't riddled with pointless filler material. Straight to Colin's thoughts and theories and is paced very well. It's easy to read a couple chapters and take a break. If you listen a lot to his show, you may find some of the material to be a little re-hashed, but that should be expected. Off the air, Colin gets a little more in-depth and honest about most of the topics, so it is very interesting to hear more about how he feels. Don't agree on everything but he's a smart guy, can't deny that.

3.0 out of 5 stars An average book!, November 20, 2013
It is an ok book. Interestingly insightful. I cant give it anymore stars because to me it was just an average book nothing really great about it and nothing really bad. I think if you really like Colin you will like the book. I did like his take on Tiger Woods.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great angles and different viewpoints, September 2, 2014
Guyzen (Salt Lake City) - See all my reviews
Like most reading this book I turn into Colin from time to time and usually can listen to him for about 20 minutes or so. He has good takes and angles and does a great job convincing you of his point of view.

A lot of the chapters in this book feel like hot takes from his show, which is is no way a bad thing. He presents a lot of view points that I had never considered before in an entertaining and honest way. He points out some of the idiosyncrasies in sports and life and does so in a fun way.

I liked his point about the difference in baseball players and football players. Baseball has morphed into a club team, traveling circus with players only worrying about their own stats. A tiny percentage of baseball players have college degrees and most move around so often that they don't know the joy of playing for a city or team that comes with growing up playing football. There's no AAU or traveling teams (although 7 on 7 and other camps have gotten popular the last few years) and football is all about team and community and all have some college and many more are graduated. Baseball contracts are guaranteed and football is not. It breeds a more humble athlete.

I really like this book and even used some of his chapters for topics with friends and family members.

2.0 out of 5 stars Love the Herd and Colin/did not like the book, November 21, 2013
This review is from: You Herd Me!: I'll Say It If Nobody Else Will (Hardcover)
I'm a big Herd fan. Watch the show almost every day...Colin is great...Was expecting the book to be an extension of the show/to show a more personal/funny side and to share some of the behind the scenes information we've never seen or heard...turns out the book is mostly a regurgitation of topics/stats from his shows. Not much new info or behind the scene nuggets I was hoping for. When Colin ad-libs on the show and displays his true personality/you can't look away...when the show is scripted (see new format how he starts the show) it comes across as boring and fake. His hosting of Olbermann was painful to watch...too much script and not enough Colin... The book comes across the same way...boring...sorry Colin...

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVED this book, May 2, 2014
This review is from: You Herd Me!: I'll Say It If Nobody Else Will (Hardcover)
Frankly, I never thought much of Colin Cowherd. He plays the foil to the latest ESPN babe and that's about it. But I saw this book in the library, it's a long weekend, so...

This is a great book - funny, informative, even philosophical. The guy knows his sports and he also knows how to tell a story. And unlike most authors of non-fiction these days, he mostly overcame to need to ram his personal politics down our throats. I can't imagine anyone with an interest in sports not getting a lot out of reading this.

But I must strongly disagree with him on one thing: Soccer will NEVER be a major spectator sport in the US. despite being around for decades, with the exception of Beckham, the average sports fan has no idea who the players are. The kids don't wear their uniforms and don't pretend to be the players. And except during the World Cup, few watch the games on tv.

You Herd Me!: I'll Say It If Nobody Else Will
You Herd Me!: I'll Say It If Nobody Else Will by Colin Cowherd (Hardcover - November 19, 2013)
$26.00 $17.68