Warning: slight spoilers ahead.

You'd figure that for a show going on it's eighth season (a season shortened by the WGA strike to boot) that things would get a bit stale to say the least, especially considering the horde of network TV imitators to pop up since it's original inception. Fear not, C.S.I. still manages to keep going strong, and it picks up by grabbing the viewer by the throat and not letting go either. Grissom (William L. Petersen) and his team race against time to find and save Sara (Jorja Fox) as her life hangs in the balance, which eventually leads up to her departure from Vegas, as well as a heartbroken Grissom. Things don't get much better for the crew as Catherine (Marg Helgenberger) receives a threat, and Warrick's (Gary Dourdan) life begins to spin out of control, leading him to be charged for murder, and concludes in the explosive season finale which only promises more changes to come. While some moments may come off as a bit hackneyed, C.S.I. manages to still be spectacular thanks to the depth that the principal characters get in this eighth season. Even lab-man Hodges (Wallace Langham) gets an episode to shine as he and the lab techs play some "murder games" in the inventive episode "You Kill Me". There's also a crossover with Without a Trace, as Grissom and FBI Agent Jack Malone (Anthony LaPaglia) team up to solve a murder and kidnapping. All in all, C.S.I. still manages to wonderfully deliver the goods even in it's eighth season, and still remains the best prime time, network TV crime drama on the air today.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 24, 2008
My favourite show never fails to deliver the goods. This is a fantastic season, despite the depature of Jorja Fox (Sara). Surprisingly, there was hardly any fanfare when she left (not on screen anyway). Her relationship with Grisolm was only beginning to take off for the viewers and before it could really get off the ground, she was gone.
In the first episode, Dead Doll, the team race against the clock to find Sara who has been left for dead in the heat of the desert. That was one of the best episodes. My next favourite episode was A La Carte where they investigate a beheaded teen from a go-cart accident. Then in Cockroaches and Lying Down With Dogs, we start to see Warrick in a whole different light - drugs and alcohol and he's framed for a murder in these two episodes. The final show for this season is called For Gedda in which Warrick is accused of murdering a famous Vegas gangster and even he is uncertain of his guilt or innocence. What happens at the end of this episode will leave every fan in shock (even though you've probably read about it or seen it already). I was devastated.
This season gives us a real good look into more of the characters personal lives. The story lines always remain fresh and there seems to be no shortage of material and ideas for keeping us fans loyal. It remains my absolute favourite show and as usual, I cannot wait for it's release. I only hope that for a change, they'll put a synopsis on the dvd cover of each episode. Sometimes you go to look for a particular episode and don't know the name of it - only the storyline - which makes searching for it a little tricky, but despite this, it's always a good buy and I thoroughly enjoy re-watching these all. I hope you'll enjoy it too.
on September 2, 2008
okay, some may say, "4 stars for a superb season of CSI?" well, as a season, CSI - The Complete Eighth Season is above a five star. with a gutwrenching opening episode in "Dead Doll". two of the funniest episodes ever in "You Kill Me" and "Two and a Half Deaths", the heartbreaking departure of one of our favorite CSI's (not saying for those who haven't seen), a terrific crossover episode with Without a Trace, and the scream inducing last minutes of the season in "For Gedda" where one of the CSI's life may and probably is over. so why 4 instead of 5 stars? The price. Seasons 1 - 7 all had around the same price, but seasons 1 - 7 had like 23 to 25 episodes each. Season 8 has only 17 episodes, only 5 discs and pretty much the same amount of extras as previous seasons. Okay, they do give us the Without a Trace crossover episodes in full, but $85 bucks guys? what are the discs made of? Gold? I love CSI more than any other show, but i'm very unhappy with CBS decision to make the dvd sets the same price as previous sets (Miami and NY both have the same pricing as prvious seasons as well.) I'm aware that the strike is to blame, but price the sets more to the content. say $65 for a short season. I'm just saying.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 4, 2010
As always, we love the original CSI seasons and can't wait to watch the episodes back to back. We rarely get to see CSI until the season is released, so we didn't see the final episode of season 8 until we viewed this season set. We hated to see such a strong character leave the show.
on July 4, 2014
I just finished this series and now am going into season 9. I titled this season SOME LAUGHS; SOME TEARS because there is some added Castle type humor, some really weird episodes and then some really teary episodes. I don't want to spill the proverbial
beans so I won't be specific but there is some changes here in the cast; one in particular who I have become very fond of. Also a
significant death of one of the CSI persons. I was not particularly fond of this person, but he/she did not deserve what happened to
them. Grissom finally falls for someone but after a serious murder attempt on her life, the relationship falters a bit. There is a very
vile murderer who makes miniature models of the crime scenes even before the killings happen. And the models are incredibly
accurate. I still haven't made up my mind if I like Cate Willows; sometimes she seems like she really hates men. sometimes not.
But she appears arrogant in much of what she does. And doesn't anyone in L.V. stay married? While I love the show, I don't think
I want to visit there; Detroit has safer streets!! There seems to be whores all over the place; not my favorite type of women.
And there is the crossdressing Carp. The quality of the productions continue to be outstanding; a superb cast and terrific musical
accompanying backdrops. Good background and theme music is extremely important to me in TV and motion pictures. Some of
the murders are so gruesomely realistic I almost have to turn away....almost anyhow! I have 13 seasons to date, but won't get
the 14th until the price comes down a bit. Still,I get them all from Amazon. And of all the shows I watch, only two bad castings
that I judge: Jar Jar Binn & Dr. Sweets, although I suppose we could include Martha from CASTLE. I believe that this wonderful
CSI series is the best crime series on the telly; I am including ALL CSI series of course. Enjoy!!
on October 21, 2013
I am rating the first eight seasons in the series with this review. I never really liked CSI to start with but needed something to watch during the day so I got the first ten seasons due to their reasonable costs. The season six dvds were horrible in playing. Two of the discs "digitalize" in nearly episode and stop playing in spots. Plus the case in which they were housed must have been crushed at some point as all the plastic teeth on the "center holding posts" were broken and the dvd's won't stay in. I had to order new dvd covers for this season and for season eight which seems to have the same problem. I believe at some point these dvds will be given away as the packaging is so poorly done. Each season is in a slip case that is hard to remove, I had to tear season seven's case off as I couldn't remove it any other way.

As for the show itself, I never really liked any of the characters except for Nick Stokes. The others always seemed to be self centered, arrogant and just downright disobedient to their boss. As the seasons progressed, it seemed these attitudes got worse and worse until most of the original characters left the show and new ones came on board. Currently I do like Ted Danza and that roster of characters in their roles.

As stated before, I only got the dvds because of the reasonable price and was disappointed in everything else
on January 26, 2013
This is a very good season from the CSI series. This season features the second part of Living Doll/Dead Doll (miniature killer collection) that left of from the 7th season. There is a crossover episode from this season that continues over on Without A Trace (Who and What/When and Where).

Some features from this season is:
Episode called 'Goodbye and Good Luck'- The CSI's investigate when a college freshman plunges to her death and her death is revealed to be a murder. They discover the victim had a relationship with Marlon West, a teen who was acquitted on a murder charge with the help of his younger sister, a child prodigy named Hannah. Sara handles the case and she becomes convinced Hannah killed Marlon's girlfriend and is framing him for the murder as an attempt to put him in jail and keep control of him.

Warrick Brown fights some inner demons
Sara Sidle leaves the force (I was never a big fan of the character)

All in all, very structured season as always from CBS and a must have for a fan of the series.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
While I've never watched a single broadcast episode of CSI, I've purchased every season set of this core series. Now, the reason I've been purchasing the season sets was because of my initial purchase of the Bones season sets and so I had decided to jump into another crime drama. CSI happened to be that very bet.

Now, I've enjoyed the series up until now but I had found this season to be particular dull and it seemed to lack the friendly atmosphere that I had enjoyed from the previous seven seasons. The mix-up of the cast threw me off-balance and it seemed that the characters were bumping around aimlessly with no real purpose. However, overall, the series is still rather enjoyable to watch.

The one good thing that fans of this show can expect is that the two-art crossover episode that begins in Episode 806 and concludes in "Without a Trace Episode 3T6108 - Where and Why" are both included in this set so there's no reason to buy Without a Trace Season 3.
on July 25, 2009
Though, the team loses two of its most charismatic members, their exits are tastefully written. Sara Sidle having returned from a traumatic near death experience in conjunction with the demons with which she struggled throughout the show, not to mention the secret romance now under heavy scrutiny by department authorities, I can appreciate her sullen effort to get back on the job. Given, Warrick Brown's perilous history with corrupt officials, it seemed like the right way for him to go.

Cool guest appearances as always this season. Redman, Method Man, Katey Sagal, Rachael Harris, and a special reunion for George Eads with former Savannah co-star Jamie Luner.

Definitely the most graphic season, I've seen so far. But also some great comedy and a collaborative effort with another popular Bruckheimer series 'Without A Trace,' tells me this series will continue to move forward and break some new ground. I can't wait to see what new changes are in store next season and who else will appear or join this great cast.
on August 23, 2008
All I can say is this is the best season of all except for Jorja Fox and Gary Dourdan leaving the show but I still like it.