5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this book
This is a little-known but delightful gem of a book. The inimitable Eleanor Roosevelt was a prolific author, but this effort is among her very best. Forged by adversity throughout her life, Eleanor was born into a privileged, wealthy family. Her father, Elliot, was Theodore Roosevelt's brother.
My favorite chapter is "The Right to Be an Individual." Mrs. Roosevelt...
Published on July 25, 2003 by Candace Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Okay, not a must read. Kinda long.
Published 7 months ago by Laurene J. Doan

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars An admirable woman with some good advice for us all, June 26, 2014
I'd give this book 4.5 stars out of 5. It is an impressive book, written by an intelligent, persevering, patient and empathetic woman who found herself thrust into the limelight of politics and who made a real success of her life in spite of the many difficulties she faced. I found her advice quite straightforward, no-nonsense, honest and helpful. She really did 'learn by living', and that is the message her short book imparts. It's possible to grow and change with experience, if you tackle the challenges that life tosses you rather than evade them. She meant that if we face our fears, we will grow as human beings. She was way ahead of her time in terms of how she lived her life and how she looked at her life as a woman.

5.0 out of 5 stars This should be required reading in middle school., January 21, 2013
I first was introduced to Eleanor's wisdom by random quotes that made me want to know more about this amazing woman. Her observations on life and lessons that she learned and passed along through this book should be shared by everyone, adults and children alike. Many of her anecdotes are indispensable to getting along with others and treating others with respect. I would have thought that much of what is written would no longer be relevant in this era, but actually it's the opposite. It seems we have forgotten some basic courtesies, taking responsibility for our actions and how important education is. She led a very full life that we can learn from and apply to ourselves to enrich our own lives. I can't stop talking about this book with my friends. Now I want to read all of her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd copy ....., June 8, 2014
I bought this copy to replace a copy I left on a plane some time ago. The more I read abut this really wise, kind and powerful person, the more I appreciate the value of responsibility for my own growth. She started out with quite a bit (about as much as our 1%-ers), but then took it upon herself to continue to learn and grow, both intellectually, but also in maturity and largesse. Now, here's the secret I'm discovering - I am much improved if I develop these qualities, whether I'm part of the 1% or not. I'll be keeping better track of this copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Lessons From a Great First Lady, July 22, 2014
Eleanor Roosevelt was the best First Lady America ever had in my humble opinion; she lived during the crises of the Depression and the Second World War. She exemplifies the wisdom learned from living during America's testing. I believe she has much to teach us in this book and I recommend it unreservedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars As then, so it could be now., July 21, 2014
Eleanor's insights are as valid today as years ago. It would be a great book for a course in government, history, or even a parenting class.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, January 19, 2013
This review is from: You Learn by Living: Eleven Keys for a More Fulfilling Life (Paperback)
Have always been a fan of Eleanor Roosevelt so when I saw this book, I had to buy it. Very interesting and sounds like she's talking to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sage advice from Eleanor Roosevelt, who could ask for anything more., January 1, 2013
The sage advice of Eleanor Roosevelt makes this book so worth the read. I would recommend it to anyone young or old who is interested in the wisdom she offers on eleven important area's of life, such as dealing with fear, maturity, readjustments in life, responsibility, being a good citizen and more.
For someone born after Eleanor Roosevelt's time, the book gave me wonderful insight into her beliefs and character, as well as her life. Written in 1960, just two years before she passed away, it is dedicated to her grandchildren and great grandchildren. The advice is as relevant today as it was then. We should all have been so blessed to have a Grandma Eleanor to learn from, the world would be a better place!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Outstanding Woman!, September 25, 2014
I've always known that Eleanor was a remarkable woman, but the reading of this book cemented just how amazing she was. She demonstrated such intelligence and insight as well as down to earth common sense.
I think anyone who reads this book will benefit greatly from having read it. I plan to read it again and will most likely refer
back to many of her teachings when I need to refresh my memory of the many wonderful things she shared.

5.0 out of 5 stars A priceless gift for the humankind., April 16, 2014
I find this book to be very useful to anyone who wishes to know more about his capabilities as an individual and HOW to accomplish more out of his/her life.
I would rate 10 if there were more stars.
A must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and practical, February 2, 2014
Ahead of her time and practical in ours. This book provided insight to a great woman and gave applicable thoughts to become one as well.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

You Learn by Living: Eleven Keys for a More Fulfilling Life
You Learn by Living: Eleven Keys for a More Fulfilling Life by Eleanor Roosevelt (Paperback - April 26, 2011)
$14.99 $13.17