Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 28, 2010
You Might Be a Zombie consists of some of the best, wittiest, and most well written pieces from Cracked.com and combines them in something that people before the internet used to refer to as a "book." While the idea may sound foreign and strange to some, the concept really works, as the words along with some pretty pictures (from some renowned internet cartoonists) fit beautifully on the pages of this fantastic work.

You'll laugh a lot, and probably cringe even more when you read through the nearly 300 pages of this handy dandy guide that pretty much ruins everything you ever held dear by pointing out the ways in which you were lied to over the years, while also forming a new appreciation for people like Teddy Roosevelt, who rumor has it once bench pressed the White House after an all night bender. A definite must read for anyone who enjoys laughter, and if you don't enjoy laughter, well, there's probably an Ingmar Bergman film festival playing somewhere that would better suit you. But buy this book first anyway.

Warning: this book boasts so much awesomeness that just by reading it, you could become pregnant. Even if you're a dude.
0Comment|223 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2010
Wow. Now I have been reading Cracked articles online for some time now, and it never ceases to give some guffaws, leading people around me to wonder exactly what I am doing. Now it's just in book form. Furthermore, the fact that the majority of these articles were written by ordinary (but hilarious) people like you or me astounds me even more. How these people find the stuff to back it up, which by the way is all true (except maybe the Jesus one...), I shall always wonder. But thank you, Cracked, for making my world a more truthful and fulfilling place.
on March 21, 2011
I bought this book for my mother. She only read the title. She is now convinced that everyone is a zombie and wants us both to go to Zombie Camp, which apparently exists. I am frankly not sure if that's a de-zombifying camp or if it is a camp promoting zombie pride, but either way, who wants to go to camp with your mother? This book has ruined my life!

Nonetheless, 5 stars, as objectively speaking it's quite well-written.
on December 30, 2010
If you're a fan of Cracked, joy or the laughter of infants, you'll probably be smiling ear to ear all the way through this book. The articles walk that very delicate balance of being both laugh out loud at inappropriate occasions humour and the knowledge to actually allow the reader to come away better informed. This book's a great pick up for anybody who just wants to have fun. All the Cracked writers have distinct voices and that makes for a varied read, despite all the articles sticking to a list format.

There's just a ton of material here. Along with the new articles there's also a large collection of older, beloved, material to be had for long time readers to reread and for newbies to discover. This is just a damned good value.

This book is golden, so please, buy it.
on January 2, 2014
I admit it, I'm a fan of the Cracked website. It's a hilarious website that holds nothing sacred, making fun of everything and anything under the sun, and delivers some mind-blowing facts in such a manner that it's hard not to laugh at them. It's irreverent sense of humor and its willingness to take on everything under the sun, from science to politics to pop culture, has made it a favorite among the denizens of the Internet, and it has hosted articles by a variety of authors, including Allie Brosh (author of "Hyperbole and a Half"), David Wong (author of "John Dies At the End"), and even former child star Mara Wilson. In short, it's one of the funniest and most varied websites out there.

Would a book put out by the people behind this website be anywhere near as good as the site itself? Yes and no, it turns out. The book, while still funny, is mostly a compilation of articles that's been printed on the website before, and most of them seem focused on the most shocking facts they can dig up. It's still told in Cracked's signature style, however, and is still good for some laughs.

Many of Cracked's articles are told in list form -- "Six Cute Animals That Are Capable of Destroying You," "Five Ways a Zombie Apocalypse Can Really Happen," "Five Facts About Jesus Too Shocking To Be Included In the Bible," etc. This is true for all the articles included in the book, and even the ones describing scientific happenings tend to be told in an informal, easily accessible style, using everyday language and hilarious comparisons. There is quite a bit of coarse language in the book, however, so those that are easily offended should probably avoid this book.

While the Cracked website tends to use photos and/or stock images to illustrate its articles, this book contains illustrations instead, done in a detailed but cartoony style that underline the inherent goofiness and humorous undertone of the book. This is neither better nor worse than the website's way of doing things -- it's different, but a nice change of pace, and the illustrations are fun.

What dragged the rating of the book down for me? It seems to me that they deliberately chose the most shocking and paranoid articles to fill this book, focusing on things like ways the world will end, the horrors of the food we eat on a regular basis, health myths that can kill you, etc. It's almost as if the editors were trying to give people nightmares. Also, other reviewers have pointed out a few goofs in the book's facts, and that bothers me. If the writers screwed up some of their facts, it immediately makes me wonder what else they got wrong and/or exaggerated for the sake of humor or shock value.

Also, as other reviewers have pointed out, much of this material is already available on their website. Seeing as I read a Kindle edition of this book, I feel that if I'm going to be reading something on a screen, I might as well go to the website and get it for free. Book compilations of things I can already find readily online are only worth buying, I feel, if there's plenty of new material along with the previously published. And given that Cracked has started publishing the "never before published" material from this book on its website, it comes dangerously close to making its own existence redundant.

Funny and even terrifying, but I'd take the "facts" within with a grain of salt. And I'd also avoid paying too much for it, as much of the material is available online for free.
on December 30, 2010
Cracked.com, THE best online comedy site, has done it again. This book made me laugh, it made me cry, it was much better than Cats.

18 brand new articles. All new illustrations. Even the credits at the end of the book were funny. If you're a fan of Cracked.com, you will automatically love this book too - it will give you hours and hours of enjoyment (unless you are a slow reader, then it may give you days or months of enjoyment). If you have yet to discover the amazing wonder that is Cracked.com, I suggest that you buy this book, then go directly to the site to get a small taste of what's coming your way. You will not be disappointed.
on February 13, 2012
I read through this book in a single sitting. It's awesome, as all things Cracked are. But a warning: if you read Cracked religiously, like I do, you will not find many new articles. That, I felt was a bit of a let-down.
on July 25, 2011
The biggest complaint I have with this book is just how little of it is original material. The vast majority of it is stuff that's already available on the web. And I don't feel that they promoted it that way at all. I've bought books that are simply compilations of things I've already read, and that's fine if that's what I intended to buy, but I was under the impression that this book would have a bit more in it that I hadn't already seen.

Other than the lack of originality, the articles are to the usual high standard of cracked.com, and are therefore informative and entertaining, and if, unlike me, you have not read every article they've published, this is probably a pretty convenient way to read some of the better ones. That said, it is missing some of the absolute best, but I suppose that's fairly subjective.

The other thing I found highly irritating about it though is not so much an issue of the content but rather the presentation. For some reason, the article credits are really inconveniently placed. Not only are they not written right at the start of the articles, but even when you try to look up who the article you just read was written by, it's actually fairly inconvenient to do so.

I don't understand why they decided to do this, it's not like they have the same policy on the website; the author's name appears right below the article title and again at teh end of the article. So why make it so hard to identify them in the print version?
on December 6, 2015
I'm not sure how to describe this book - it was a present for a 15yo boy who never said a word about it but when asked he still gives a great big smile and laughs evilly. That's generally followed by a hug, so if the Zombie Apocalypse ever does come I have at least a hope that he'll protect me...even if it is only to eat my brain as dessert! lol
on July 9, 2011
This book is full of '4 ways you didn't know this' or '5 ways mother nature will do this to you'. That's the entire book. If you read cracked, then you've read some of this book, but even on cracked it's not only '5 of this' and '3 of that'. The pictures also are missing captions, which was one thing I love about cracked articles. It feels kind of like a letdown... I actually have owned it for about 2 months and kind of stopped reading half way. It's just not as funny as I thought it would be. I don't find myself laughing out loud very often.