Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on October 7, 2011
The book was an entertaining quick read. Not much new information if you already know the YNAB software very well but I presume that it would be very good for people unfamiliar with the software.

The best new information in the book as the revelation that Jesse himself always uses Rule 3 (Roll with the punches) and has gone over budget slightly every month since he created the software. Here I was thinking I was a horrible budgeter and doing things wrong because I usually ended up overspending in one category each month. It was great to see that it was completely normal - the guy who wrote the software even does it. That was very comforting to read.

This is a good book but more importantly BUY THE SOFTWARE. Best Software in the world. It has literally changed my life.
VINE VOICEon January 1, 2012
This should have been free material. All it was, was an ad about the YNAB software. Why you need it, and the four basic principles.

The software itself represents a vital way of thinking about, and handling your income and expenses. Something that should be taught in school, but I am not aware of any school that does.

The website offers lots of tips and instructions for using the YNAB software, but it is a bit scattered. I was hoping this book would be a structured manual on using it, but was sorely disappointed.

Instead, I am left with a strong feeling of buyers remorse, since I essentially just paid for an ad telling me why I need YNAB, and how happy I'll be after I use it.
66 comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 13, 2011
I'm not in financial trouble, but I do plan to purchase a home in the next couple of years, and I needed a budget that was focused on saving $X-amount per month. This book was a short, sweet, remarkable resource to me in building a comprehensive budget, and will prove as a valuable primer to anyone who is putting together their first budget.

Note that there is accompanying software sold separately on Amazon, but the software is by NO means necessary to absorb the concepts of the book.
If you're Excel-savvy, you can most likely get any data you might need using spreadsheets.
on October 22, 2011
My personal finances are in a bit of a tangle. I have tried several budget computer programs, which, although useful in their own way, have not enabled me to master my particular financial circumstances. I searched around the web and came across YNAB, "You Need a Budget, Version 3. The initial book or booklet entitled, YNAB You Need a Budget (what else) explains the author's philosophy behind this program. He, with his wife and family, were facing a bleak financial future without some much needed control of their money. The author, Jesse Mecham, a university graduate has produced, in my view, an excellent program. I particularly like his four rules which are described as a Methology. I think Rule 1 is the key to the whole system.
on January 7, 2011
YNAB is a smarter approach to personal financial management than most other software packages out there. The focus is on putting your dollars to work for you in the most logical, and important way. Quicken and other similar programs tend to focus on managing transactions; YNAB focuses on managing your life. It is easy to use, and the interface is simple and user-friendly. Read the online manual about budgeting - suddenly your life will be clearer. Highly recommended.
on April 18, 2011
YNAB is a fresh approach to budgeting.
In this book you learn where that approach came from. The author's perspective is innovative, interesting and he's darn fun to read!
The anecdotes describing financial situations we've all encountered are fresh and lively and give great insight into why the YNAB way evolved and give you a fantastic idea of how it will change your life.
The book is condensed, the points are concise and the reading is FUN. Highly recommend for anyone thinking (and/or stressing) about their money.
on November 2, 2014
Jessee took me through his process of getting financially solvent step by step. This book is such a quick read for the amazing tool that it is! I did not grow up in a family that stressed good financial health. My parents over spent and then fought like crazy. We grew up in a war zone. No special day was safe. Birthdays and holidays were a nightmare. Christmas was a day I anticipated with dread and dispair. While other children opened their gifts with curiosity and excitement, I opened mine waiting for the fight that would ensue in the early afternoon. Screaming and yelling of hurtful heartbreaking words thrown wrecklessly at each other as neither adult owned responsibility for overspending. Childhood was never full of fantasy and play only the reality of despair and deprivation. Parents bring children into this world not the other way around! They owe a child a financially stable environment. It's achievable on any income using this system. It's comes with video tutorials on YouTube, free webinars, and other tech support. Even this Kindle book was only $.99! Heck here is a coupon code should you decide to purchase the program! It is a ONE time fee and you can download to your desktop, android or apple phone. I log my purchases in real time right at the cashiers! It great to stand in the store and check my category to see how much money I have put in there. If I choose to overspend I do so consciously and know I will adjust from either my buffer or another category. I now know I have enough money, enough time and I love myself more for overcoming this challenge from my childhood. Coupon code: ynab.refr.cc/38Z66KZ
on May 16, 2011
It took me about a couple of weeks to get the hang of it, but now that I'm getting a good feel for YNAB, I'm really beginning to love it. A lot of folks complain that it has a steep learning curve. There is no doubt a learning curve attached to this program, but I wouldn't say it's "steep". Before I purchased this program, I participated in a few of their free online training seminars, and they helped tremendously, especially the one on how to handle credit cards.

I highly recommend this program. It is nicely laid out and you can see that they spent a great deal of time in trying to make this program easy to use.
on April 7, 2011
I consider myself a budgeting pro... Have look at a lot of systems over the years and YNAB is a system that is very intuitive, straight forward and it works with "electronic" payments in 2011. Some of the older cash based systems make online banking, purchses, etc difficult, but YNAB enables one to create a budget that encompasses a checking account, credit card and cash accounts and places them into the same budget. Other online services charge a large amount to do this, but are slow and lacking in features such as projected budget, etc.

Kudos to Jesse and team!!!
on August 7, 2011
I personally love how this author explained how to properly budget. I am already seeing a healthier checking account balance and I have only been using this system for a little under a month. I know that if I stick to my budget, I will be able to accomplish a lot of other goals I have further on down the road. Seeing how I am a little under 20 and just now realizing how important it is to keep tabs on your money is eye-opening. If you are looking to change how to manage your money for the better, I highly recommend this book.