Published on September 15, 2005 by E. R. Bird

Ultimately my daughter and I enjoyed this book.

Published on February 24, 2011 by Anna Markison

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is grand / I do not lie / When it is through / Your kids shall cry, September 15, 2005
This review is from: You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together (Hardcover)
Patron walks into my library the other day and demands a video that will teach their child how to read. Due to the fact that my library only carries Sesame Street videos that deal with holidays or sing songs, there wasn't much to offer. But the patron's demand got me thinking. Finding good materials that help children to read can be awfully difficult sometimes. Books for early readers tend to be dull (like your average "Dick and Jane" fare) or facile. There are exceptions to this rule, of course, and one of the most notable exceptions is the remarkable, "You Read To Me, I'll Read To You". This is a book that has killed roughly four birds with a single stone. It helps kids to read, rhymes beautifully, introduces them to a wide variety of fairy tales, and is funny. Really honest-to-goodness funny. This is a book that parents will not cringe to read over and over with their young 'uns. Hoberman has given us a book that is going to be appreciated by a wide range of ages. All that and it's a clever idea to boot.

Here's the premise. Each story in this book is a fairy tale. Each fairy tale is a conversation between two characters. It is meant to be read aloud by either two beginning readers or between a beginning and a more-advanced reader. After picking their parts the readers alternate lines, rhyming all the while. So, for example, in "The Three Bears" we have one reader say, "I'm Goldilocks" and another say "I'm Baby Bear". "What pretty fur!". "What pretty hair!". You get the idea. Anything written in blue is meant to be read by both readers at the same time and every poem/story ends with the lines, "You'll read to me! I'll read to you!". There are seven stories altogether and each one softens the original tale just a bit. I was surprised to see references to the Grimm version of Cinderella as well as the original ending of The Three Little Pigs. As it happens, however, no one gets eaten or hurt in these tales and in each case everyone ends the tale happily ever after.

This is not the first edition of "You Read To Me, I'll Read To You" to grace shelves around the world, you know. In fact, this book is a sequel to a predecessor of the same name that came out in 2001. Inanely, both versions have their reviews linked together here at Amazon.com. I'll state right here and now that this particular review that I am writing refers to the 2004 edition with the fairy tales in it. Let's just clarify that little detail once and for all.

Now the pairing of author Mary Ann Hoberman with illustrator Michael Emberley is nothing short of brilliant. While Hoberman has the almost unnatural ability of simplifying stories down to their essential parts, tacking on happy endings without sounding preachy, AND adding humor as well, Emberley is just as adept at pictures that are adorable, simple, and full of delightful details. Note that Jack in "Jack and the Beanstalk" is decked out in an utterly mod outfit, complete with tiger-striped shirt and go-go boots. Note also that when the third pig (at first) attempts to cook the wolf in a pot, he is holding a book called, "Cooking Lupine". Visual gag, meet fabulous wordplay. How do you do? How do you do?

So if a patron comes in asking me for a simple rhyming book that will help their child to read, I will be prepared. I shall promote this book as loudly as my indoor-librarian-voice allows me to. This is one of those rare buys that need to be touted widely to the public. A great exercise in reading and a necessary addition to every English-language-library.

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful book, January 4, 2007
Vae Victus (IL United States) - See all my reviews
I love this book. When I leave it out on the shelf in the classroom, the kids actually ask to read it. They love reading to each other. Perfect for bilinguals or kids just starting out.

My own kids and I can still recite parts of it from memory ("I found a dime! You found a dime? I found a dime at dinnertime!") The illustrations are adorable and are entertaining all on their own. Buy it and share!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book to get kids reading!!, March 27, 2006
I am thoroughly impressed with this book! My son, a second grader, and I read it together. He enjoyed it as much as me and he had already read it with his classroom teacher. I plan on getting my third graders to read the fairytales to each other and then perform them for younger classrooms. The fairytales are classics but the author, Mary Ann Hoberman, gives the characters a little more attitude which livens the stories up for readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun fairytales to read together, March 28, 2006
Amber (Ashland University) - See all my reviews
I really liked this book and think that it would be great to use in reader's theater. Hoberman takes the original fairytales and shortens them in kid friendly language. There are usually two different characters that tell the story. One reader would read the first character and the second reader reads the other character's part. When the text appears in the middle, both readers read at the same time. All the stories end with the two characters coming together to read a book together. Pastel type pictures are scattered throughout the stories and are humorous. For Jack and the beanstalk, the giant has his nose pierced and jack is wearing sun glasses. This book could be used in K-3 classes. Great Book!

5.0 out of 5 stars You Read to Me And I'll Read to You Fairy Tales, June 1, 2009
I teach Kindergarten and First grade and I love these books. They are perfect for children to practice voice, and pacing of reading with a friend, which takes the pressure off of them and makes it fun. The organization and print allows the children to do this work on their own. These books are so fun that I too enjoy taking parts when the children let me.

4.0 out of 5 stars You Read To Me, I'll Read To You, October 4, 2008
YOU READ TO ME, I'LL READ TO YOU: VERY SHORT FAIRY TALES TO READ TOGETHER is part of a very creative series of books that encourages children and parents, siblings, or friends read stories out loud to each other, each playing a specific part. In YOU READ TO ME, I'LL READ TO YOU: VERY SHORT FAIRY TALES TO READ TOGETHER, each story is a well known fairy tale written as a conversation between two characters. They are a comical parody of the original fairy tales and are told in a read-aloud, rhyming, fractured manner that enables two people to read and laugh together at unsuspected outcomes. For example, Jack and the Giant come to an agreement to share the Giant's treasures that Jack stole, Cinderella invites her mean step-sisters to come live with her in the castle, Little Red Riding Hood takes Grandma and a starving wolf to a restaurant for lunch, Goldilocks befriends Baby Bear and takes him home with her to get some porridge, and the little pig in the brick house makes friends with the wolf who ate his two brothers. In fact, at the end of each story, enemies wind up friends reading to each other.

This fun and delightful book is full of rhymes and rhythms, providing a helpful cadence for young readers to follow. While my three year old is still too young to read, she delights in hearing her eleven year old sister and me read the parts back and forth. The meter, tone, and style of the rhymes add to the fun and hilarity. As a matter of fact, these short tales are written in a way that almost sounds like rap. Rapping fairy tales, now that is funny! I think we will add music and sound effects the next time and see what happens!

Each story is only two to four pages long, and the illustrations are colorful, bright, and very funny. This book, and the others in the series, are perfect for beginning readers. And any book that encourages families to read together is quite simply A-1 in my book.

5.0 out of 5 stars You read to Me, I'll read to you fairy tales, July 17, 2004
By A Customer
These are one of the best children's books they have come up with. It is great to read to kids and to read with other people they are fun and they are something different and new. Good job..

3.0 out of 5 stars PARENTS BEWARE: Cinderella Contains Graphic FOOT "CHOPPING" IMAGES!!!, February 24, 2011
Ultimately my daughter and I enjoyed this book.

The caveat, however, was ALARMING enough to prompt this a review to give other readers a "heads up". We were 5 fairy tales in when we hit Cinderella (pg 18). The first 2 pages read as benignly and age-appropriately as one would expect. Upon turning to page 20, one is greeted with the GRAPHIC (for the beginning reader set) images of Cinderella's 2 stepsisters attempting to "CHOP OFF A LITTLE BIT" of their feet in order to fit into the glass slipper. When I say graphic, while there is no blood or gore, the sisters are wielding an AXE and ENORMOUS pair of scissors. One sister has the top of her foot between the scissor blades about to slice down, and the other sister has her foot up on a stool - with an axe poised in a two-handed grip above it! I literally gasped, and IMMEDIATELY slammed my hand over the images, as I found them SHOCKINGLY INAPPROPRIATE for highly suggestible preschool/Kindergarten-aged readers.

LOVED the concept of the book, and most of the prose. I generally consider the "beginning reader" book section of the library to be a safe place to pick up books to read to/with my child. However, in the future I will be sure to read any other books by this author IN ADVANCE of reading them with my daughter before bed!

Just a Parental FYI...

5.0 out of 5 stars Happily ever after, right now!, May 2, 2009
Once your kids are a little familiar with fairy tales, and happily enjoying early readers, try them out on this book. My four year old (**) goes crazy for this book -- he laughs so hard about the different twists to his fairy tales.

This is a turn-taking read-aloud book told in rhymes. The meter of the words is EXCELLENT, and the ideas are very good. It's a creative series, and it's a fun way to get kids started on story-building.

It is so enjoyable to sit down with a child and laugh together, or to see my kids sit head-by-head and read to one another. The way the stories are written, both readers have roughly equal speaking parts, both have laugh lines, and both have fun.

This book helps build great families.

** This particular child is a great reader; I actually bought the book for elementary aged children.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves this book!, July 5, 2010
This book is a great way to get your kids excited about reading. Sometimes its hard to get my 9 year to sit down and read, but since we take turns reading in this book, he gets super excited. The stories in this one are great little scary stories and my son gets a kick out of them. We love this book! I highly recommend it.

You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together