Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 30, 2007
[...]

What I liked in this book is the first part dedicated to "Major Agers" such as genes, oxidation, toxins, sugar, overeating, hormones, UV radiation, etc. This part, consisting of about 300 pages scientifically discusses all the aging factors, and the ways of dealing with them. UV radiation is named as the "major ager", so please keep that in mind the next time you head for the beach. On the other hand the authors also point out the many benefits of sun radiation. As usual, moderation is the answer...

Not to be missed is Chapter 16, titled "The Fourteen Day You Extend Warranty Plan". It starts with the following "Daily YOU-Do List":

1. Walk thirty minutes
2. "Floss and brush the teeth that you wish to keep"
3. Take your pills (Omega-3s, vitamins, calcium supplements, aspirin, etc)
4. Sleep 7-8 hours
5. Meditate for 5 minutes

Is that all? I would never suspect it is THAT simple...

Another chapter that I liked is Chapter 12 titled "Live the Sexy Life". Wow, say that to me again! Yes, sex (love) is important for your wellbeing and keeping young. Grab the book for the explicit details...

I gave this book 4 stars. To get a 5 star longevity title check the books written by Tombak [...]
11 comment| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2007
The book contains a lot of information related to aging process and the factors influencing it - the Major Agers. As it is written by medical doctors, it is written in doctor's language with a lot of medical terms etc. [...] In addition the format of the book is very busy, with all kinds of additions at many pages that make the book rather difficult to read and concentrate on the subject. Although it seems to be full of content, the information is rather superficial and often impractical.

Two good books on the subject of aging that I recomend are:
1. Younger Next Year for Women
2. Can We Live 150?
[...]
1111 comments| 319 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2007
You: Staying Young is the new Bible in the anti aging movement. The authors spell out in detail (at times too much detail) the steps one should take to feel and look younger. Some of their suggestions are outstanding, and others, such as consuming more obscure nutrients even my dietician has nerver heard of, are silly. The authors also make outrageous claims for these little known supplements. But when they stick to the Big Picture, the major steps, the book sizzles.

This is far superior to most aging books in that the authors not only tell you what to do to avoid getting older, they give you the WHY as well. WHY you should consume this and not that; WHY this form of exercise is good and this form is bad: WHY your skin responds to this treatment...it made following the recommendations a lot easier to know exactly how this was benefitting my body.

I also liked the fact that the book doesn't simply focus on the physical aspects of aging but also delves into the mind and how important it is in the anti aging process.

You: Staying Young is perhaps the best anti aging book I've read (in a field cluttered with clunkers). I also recently read the FUNNIEST book on aging I've come across, Martha Bolton's "Race You To THe Fountain of Youth."Race You to the Fountain of Youth: I'm Not Dead Yet (But parts of me are going fast)

I heartily recommend You: Staying Young to anybody concerned about getting older.
0Comment| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2007
I am a 56-year old RN and had been doing proactive measures to delay aging, age sucessfully and avoid diseases for my husband and myself. I read a lot of informative materials regarding these matters. I have purchased all the past books of Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Michael Roizen and lately I preordered the Audiobook of "You Staying Young" and I got it last week. I listen to it repeatedly when I do my household chores and before going to bed. I would say that this is the most informative material so far regarding aging. It's simple and easy to understand and it has all the recent discoveries and research results minus the hard work of translating research studies into simple information and knowledge. I recommend this book/audio to every baby boomer and anyone who is serious in planning to age successfully. I am ordering the book as well. More power to Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen. Thank you for writing these books and producing the audio. I will recommend them to all my friends and coworkers.
Josephine Ridad
33 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
We all care about our health. And I think most of us want to stay as youthful and healthy and happy as possible as long as possible. No one knows the body and how we can take control better than Dr. Michael Roizen and Dr. Mehmet Oz.

At the core of this book are the Major Agers--14 biological processes that control your rate of aging.

Knowing how our bodies work and why they age is a tremendous amount of knowledge. Most people don't have this knowledge. It's available. But they don't tap into it and use it. This is an anti-aging manual. It addresses medical and psychological ways to prevent, slow down, or even reverse the effects of aging. The idea is to help you live longer and lead a happier life. It includes scientific research and applications in genetic engineering, tissue engineering, and other medical advances. It shows some of the treatments and cures for Alzheimer's disease, for example. Some of the anti-aging treatments include nutrition, physical fitness, skin care, hormone replacements, vitamins, supplements, and herbs.

The original YOU book showed how the body works in general. Certainly good knowledge to have and more than most people understand. Now in YOU: Staying Young, Drs. Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz illuminate the mysterious mechanisms with a lively metaphor -- the modern city. What is the difference between a vibrant thriving city that ages gracefully from one that is worn down and looks shabby?

With this book, you'll know what happens to your body and what you can do to help it age with grace. Or, better yet, stop the aging process as we now know it. At least, to a large extent. You can control a lot of what happens to you. That's what gives this book its tremendous power.
11 comment| 150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2007
I like these authors and I think on the whole they provide an excellent public service by motivating people to make healthy lifestyle choices and providing much useful information. My problem with this book is that it makes numerous claims about the health benefits of various supplements and even medications which are much more controversial than the authors acknowledge. To compound the problem, the authors don't cite ANY of the scientific studies which form the basis for their claims, so if a reader is inclined to follow their advice but wants to know more about the issue, they have no reference for further research. One very significant example is the authors' advice, on page 123, to take a daily aspirin because it cuts the risk of breast cancer and other cancers by 40%. Even though the end of the section contains a short sentence suggesting that people discuss this advice with their doctors, it is certainly predictable that many readers seeing this dramatic claim for aspirin will simply start taking it without obtaining medical clearance. This could potentially result in life-threatening complications for certain patients, and even if it is generally safe, it is a very serious claim to be making considering that the medical community has not yet embraced daily aspirin therapy for the prevention of breast and other cancers. I researched this issue to the best of my ability and, while there was a study in 2004 which tends to support the authors' claim, there was another study in 2005 which found the opposite. So, it would have been really useful if the authors had included footnotes informing readers of which studies they are relying upon instead of making all of these claims in a vacuum. That is why I really like Jean Carper's old but still very useful book, "The Food Pharmacy" -- every nutritional claim she makes is rigorously described in terms of what the actual studies showed and it is copiously annotated with footnotes to these studies. I would love to see the authors of "You Staying Young" take a page from Jean Carper and consider providing the sources for their claims.
on December 12, 2007
I have seen Dr.Oz on Oprah a few times. He is always very informative and motivating. I also bought Oprahs recent O magazine issue that had an article explaining this exact plan. I bought the book assuming it would be a more in depth plan to work from. Honestly I found the book to be weirdly juvenile with it's strange drawings and very confusing. And the plan from Oprahs magazine was a BETTER layout than this book. Save yourself some money and buy the back issue from O magaazine! Don't buy this book.
on July 25, 2008
Having seen the doctor on Oprah, I was excited to get the book and more information. What a disappointment. There is little new material inside; instead there are pages and pages of cumbersome and cutesy graphics, which make for difficult reading. If you saw Dr. Oz on Oprah, you've seen what he has to say; I'd recommend that you save your money and not buy this book. Take a walk instead. :D
on June 2, 2008
This book is flip and superficial. It doesn't really give any new information on this subject but rather regurgitates the standard line from the medical community. If you read any health newsletters and/or blogs, you will be more current than these guys.
Most of the book (303 pages)describes the various systems of the body with the remaining 80 pages, the so-called "extended warranty system." The book is filled with a lot of weird cartoons and "factoid" boxes making it hard to follow the main text. Don't bother with the tests at the beginning as there are mistakes!
on January 18, 2008
I am no medical expert. However, I have been reading and researching about the human body, health and diseases for many years to educate myself on the topic. This audio CD titled You Staying Young by Dr. Mehmet C. Oz and Dr Michael F. Roizen is one of the best sources, like their earlier book that I had read titled : You the Owner's Manual.

Anybody interested in protecting his / her health or that of the loved ones and anybody who wants to learn about the human body would greatly benefit from listening to this CD carefully from time to time. High school students who need to learn about the human body as part of their science / biology courses would also find the CD quite useful. Latest top quality information about the subject comes from two top medical authorities : Dr. Mehmet C. Oz and Dr. Michael F. Roizen. It covers all the relevant parts of the body by first clearly explaining how that part of the body functions, how it interacts with the rest of the body, the most common related diseases, their reasons, how they affect aging and how to minimize the risk of getting those diseases in the form of you tips. They emphasize that even though inherited unfavorable genetic factors may have a negative effect on health the inheritor is not doomed : he / she can overcome the bad genetic factors by adopting the right lifestyle explained in this CD.

Of course the doctors warn that each person should consult his / her physician before applying the advice to his / her particular situation. For example to do or not to do hormone replacement therapy is something to be decided on an individual basis between the person and his / her doctor. In the CD the doctors describe most possible alternatives. Another example is should you take aspirin as a protective measure from heart stroke and cancer also depends on your particular circumstances that must be decided by consulting your physician.

The CD is enjoyable to listen to and easy to understand particularly because the doctors talk briefly switching turns. Thus the listener is not obliged to listen to the same voice throughout the CD. A single voice can be tiring and boring to listen to sometimes in other CD's even when the speaker is a very good speaker.

However, I could not find a PDF file accompanying the CD that the authors mention several times throughout the CD.

You don't need to be ill to benefit from the advice in the CD, you may just want to maintain your present good health throughout your life . Although I was already healthy when I read their previous book You the Owner's Manual two years ago, I have been applying the various advice since then, I realized what I as doing wrong, made the necessary corrections and benefitted from them. Now, in You Staying Young I found some other things I need to correct in my attitude to protect my health and slow down aging ( I am a 50 year old man ) and will certainly apply them as well. For example I need to protect my ears from the loud music at the fitness saloon where I regularly work out.

In conclusion, if you are interested in the human body and in protecting your health this is one of the best sources you would be able to find. Obviously, you would need to apply the advice given, consulting your physician first if necessary.