4.0 out of 5 stars Can you extend your body's warranty?

Published on October 30, 2007 by M. Caruso

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very practicle
Published on November 16, 2007 by Jane Russell

4.0 out of 5 stars Can you extend your body's warranty?, October 30, 2007
This review is from: You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty (Hardcover)
[...]

What I liked in this book is the first part dedicated to "Major Agers" such as genes, oxidation, toxins, sugar, overeating, hormones, UV radiation, etc. This part, consisting of about 300 pages scientifically discusses all the aging factors, and the ways of dealing with them. UV radiation is named as the "major ager", so please keep that in mind the next time you head for the beach. On the other hand the authors also point out the many benefits of sun radiation. As usual, moderation is the answer...

Not to be missed is Chapter 16, titled "The Fourteen Day You Extend Warranty Plan". It starts with the following "Daily YOU-Do List":

1. Walk thirty minutes
2. "Floss and brush the teeth that you wish to keep"
3. Take your pills (Omega-3s, vitamins, calcium supplements, aspirin, etc)
4. Sleep 7-8 hours
5. Meditate for 5 minutes

Is that all? I would never suspect it is THAT simple...

Another chapter that I liked is Chapter 12 titled "Live the Sexy Life". Wow, say that to me again! Yes, sex (love) is important for your wellbeing and keeping young. Grab the book for the explicit details...

I gave this book 4 stars. To get a 5 star longevity title check the books written by Tombak [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very practicle, November 16, 2007
The book contains a lot of information related to aging process and the factors influencing it - the Major Agers. As it is written by medical doctors, it is written in doctor's language with a lot of medical terms etc. [...] In addition the format of the book is very busy, with all kinds of additions at many pages that make the book rather difficult to read and concentrate on the subject. Although it seems to be full of content, the information is rather superficial and often impractical.

Two good books on the subject of aging that I recomend are:
1. Younger Next Year for Women
2. Can We Live 150?

4.0 out of 5 stars I Feel Young, October 30, 2007
You: Staying Young is the new Bible in the anti aging movement. The authors spell out in detail (at times too much detail) the steps one should take to feel and look younger. Some of their suggestions are outstanding, and others, such as consuming more obscure nutrients even my dietician has nerver heard of, are silly. The authors also make outrageous claims for these little known supplements. But when they stick to the Big Picture, the major steps, the book sizzles.

This is far superior to most aging books in that the authors not only tell you what to do to avoid getting older, they give you the WHY as well. WHY you should consume this and not that; WHY this form of exercise is good and this form is bad: WHY your skin responds to this treatment...it made following the recommendations a lot easier to know exactly how this was benefitting my body.

I also liked the fact that the book doesn't simply focus on the physical aspects of aging but also delves into the mind and how important it is in the anti aging process.

You: Staying Young is perhaps the best anti aging book I've read (in a field cluttered with clunkers). I also recently read the FUNNIEST book on aging I've come across, Martha Bolton's "Race You To THe Fountain of Youth."Race You to the Fountain of Youth: I'm Not Dead Yet (But parts of me are going fast)

I heartily recommend You: Staying Young to anybody concerned about getting older.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, November 5, 2007
Josephine C. Ridad (Fairfield, California) - See all my reviews
I am a 56-year old RN and had been doing proactive measures to delay aging, age sucessfully and avoid diseases for my husband and myself. I read a lot of informative materials regarding these matters. I have purchased all the past books of Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Michael Roizen and lately I preordered the Audiobook of "You Staying Young" and I got it last week. I listen to it repeatedly when I do my household chores and before going to bed. I would say that this is the most informative material so far regarding aging. It's simple and easy to understand and it has all the recent discoveries and research results minus the hard work of translating research studies into simple information and knowledge. I recommend this book/audio to every baby boomer and anyone who is serious in planning to age successfully. I am ordering the book as well. More power to Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen. Thank you for writing these books and producing the audio. I will recommend them to all my friends and coworkers.
Josephine Ridad

5.0 out of 5 stars Empowering Anti-Aging Guide, November 5, 2007
We all care about our health. And I think most of us want to stay as youthful and healthy and happy as possible as long as possible. No one knows the body and how we can take control better than Dr. Michael Roizen and Dr. Mehmet Oz.

At the core of this book are the Major Agers--14 biological processes that control your rate of aging.

Knowing how our bodies work and why they age is a tremendous amount of knowledge. Most people don't have this knowledge. It's available. But they don't tap into it and use it. This is an anti-aging manual. It addresses medical and psychological ways to prevent, slow down, or even reverse the effects of aging. The idea is to help you live longer and lead a happier life. It includes scientific research and applications in genetic engineering, tissue engineering, and other medical advances. It shows some of the treatments and cures for Alzheimer's disease, for example. Some of the anti-aging treatments include nutrition, physical fitness, skin care, hormone replacements, vitamins, supplements, and herbs.

The original YOU book showed how the body works in general. Certainly good knowledge to have and more than most people understand. Now in YOU: Staying Young, Drs. Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz illuminate the mysterious mechanisms with a lively metaphor -- the modern city. What is the difference between a vibrant thriving city that ages gracefully from one that is worn down and looks shabby?

With this book, you'll know what happens to your body and what you can do to help it age with grace. Or, better yet, stop the aging process as we now know it. At least, to a large extent. You can control a lot of what happens to you. That's what gives this book its tremendous power.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly sensible advice, but lacks scientific authority, December 16, 2007
E. Karasik (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
I like these authors and I think on the whole they provide an excellent public service by motivating people to make healthy lifestyle choices and providing much useful information. My problem with this book is that it makes numerous claims about the health benefits of various supplements and even medications which are much more controversial than the authors acknowledge. To compound the problem, the authors don't cite ANY of the scientific studies which form the basis for their claims, so if a reader is inclined to follow their advice but wants to know more about the issue, they have no reference for further research. One very significant example is the authors' advice, on page 123, to take a daily aspirin because it cuts the risk of breast cancer and other cancers by 40%. Even though the end of the section contains a short sentence suggesting that people discuss this advice with their doctors, it is certainly predictable that many readers seeing this dramatic claim for aspirin will simply start taking it without obtaining medical clearance. This could potentially result in life-threatening complications for certain patients, and even if it is generally safe, it is a very serious claim to be making considering that the medical community has not yet embraced daily aspirin therapy for the prevention of breast and other cancers. I researched this issue to the best of my ability and, while there was a study in 2004 which tends to support the authors' claim, there was another study in 2005 which found the opposite. So, it would have been really useful if the authors had included footnotes informing readers of which studies they are relying upon instead of making all of these claims in a vacuum. That is why I really like Jean Carper's old but still very useful book, "The Food Pharmacy" -- every nutritional claim she makes is rigorously described in terms of what the actual studies showed and it is copiously annotated with footnotes to these studies. I would love to see the authors of "You Staying Young" take a page from Jean Carper and consider providing the sources for their claims.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, December 12, 2007
I have seen Dr.Oz on Oprah a few times. He is always very informative and motivating. I also bought Oprahs recent O magazine issue that had an article explaining this exact plan. I bought the book assuming it would be a more in depth plan to work from. Honestly I found the book to be weirdly juvenile with it's strange drawings and very confusing. And the plan from Oprahs magazine was a BETTER layout than this book. Save yourself some money and buy the back issue from O magaazine! Don't buy this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Big disappointment, July 25, 2008
Having seen the doctor on Oprah, I was excited to get the book and more information. What a disappointment. There is little new material inside; instead there are pages and pages of cumbersome and cutesy graphics, which make for difficult reading. If you saw Dr. Oz on Oprah, you've seen what he has to say; I'd recommend that you save your money and not buy this book. Take a walk instead. :D

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, June 2, 2008
Judy B. (Wilmington, DE United States) - See all my reviews
This book is flip and superficial. It doesn't really give any new information on this subject but rather regurgitates the standard line from the medical community. If you read any health newsletters and/or blogs, you will be more current than these guys.
Most of the book (303 pages)describes the various systems of the body with the remaining 80 pages, the so-called "extended warranty system." The book is filled with a lot of weird cartoons and "factoid" boxes making it hard to follow the main text. Don't bother with the tests at the beginning as there are mistakes!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun to read, would like to see the research however..., November 10, 2007
James Jewett (Munroe Falls, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
Other's have done an excellent job describing the ins and outs of this book.

In a day where this team turns out more sequels than a "Rocky" movie, the reader will find the writing both entertaining and informative.

I would feel more comfortable providing a higher rating if I were able to reference the material the doctors speak of. Most books written by MDs and scientists nowadays include a comprehensive bibliography. I could not find any references in this work.

You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty by Michael F. Roizen (Hardcover - October 30, 2007)
$26.00 $19.64