Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: You Can Teach Your Child Successfully: Grades 4-8
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on August 6, 2001
I have been searching and searching to find just the right curriculum for my 3 girls, ages 3-9. I picked up this book and my problem about curriculum was solved! Ruth Beechick is sensible beyond measure by offering ways in which to homeschool in a very cost-effective way, while following Charlotte Mason's gentle methods of learning. I highly recommend this book to every homeschooling family who feels like they are a slave to their curriculum.
on February 19, 2000
Ruth Beechick presents easy-to-implement ideas for the home educator. Her thoughts on living books, copywork, dictation, and writing merge effectively with the Charlotte Mason approach. (You will need to modify Beechick's approach to dictation slightly and let the child study the paragraph before proceeding with the dictation.)
This book will help you gain confidence in your abilities as a home educator.
on September 2, 1999
I first borrowed this book from our public library when my son was in kindergarten. Ruth Beechick's philosophy is clear and it makes sense. She was a text book writer and a public school teacher, so she has some very educated ideas about how children learn. Now my son is in the sixth grade and I am using this book extensively, along with "living books" from our home and public libraries.
on November 6, 1999
We like the helpful and supportive attitudes of the author and feel like we have more control over our daughter's 6th grade public education. As a mother of a child with an auditory processing problem, this book addresses all modalities of learning and acceptance of different learning ways. All parents should read the section about math early on to learn how to help their children earlier. You will feel more hopeful for your child's education after reading this book although you won't ever really be "done" with this book! Also check out the books Learning to Learn by Carolyn Oliver and Rosemary F. Bowler and Every Child Can Succeed by Cynthia Ulrich Tobias
on April 16, 2009
This is an amazing book in a very understated cover. It is the BEST book on educating your children at home that I have read, and I have read many books on the subject that I learned much from. This one is distilled down to the real stuff of how we learn. I would recommend reading this first to any parent considering homeschooling or any parent, like myself, who had gotten lost in an endless textbook cycle. This was the pivotal book for me. I now teach my children completely from wonderful books that we love and know that we are getting the most from our school time. The author is really an expert in her field and seems to think no more of herself than her reader never talking down to him/her.
on June 27, 1998
I have read and re-read, loaned out, and recommended this book to all my home schooling friends. It is full of practical information and ideas for home teaching your children.
on August 6, 2001
on August 12, 2010
I have had this book for several years and have read it more then once. Perhaps I am a bit dense but I am finally understanding the genius behind what is put forth in this book. It seems so simple and straight forward and it is. It has helped me no longer be a slave to curriculum and to use the books we have without constantly looking for more or better or homeschool curriculum utopia.

The section on reading goes through different types of reading, such and for information and for pleasure. She shares how to utilize those.

My favorite part though is on writing. It has also given me the most struggle and the most freedom. She shows you how to take books your children are reading and use parts of them for teaching all sorts of differents language arts, like grammar, mechanics, usage, and composition. There are several examples to get you started. There is even a way to help you determine where your children are in terms of writing ability.

Overall a very helpful and practical book with a common sense approach.
on August 18, 2010
I have been homeschooling now for about four years. My eldest child is in 4th grade, and after having struggled through math textbooks and grammar textbooks, I finally have answers as to why my child was not liking school! Ruth Beechick teaches moms how to teach! I have much greater confidence and understanding in all subject areas, but particularly math and grammar, now, after reading her books - not only this one, but also the 3 R's. I have had the 3 R's all along, but didn't fully believe that it could be so simple. I wish now that I would have listened to other homeschool moms that told me "Ruth Beechick's books are all you need." I HIGHLY recommend this book for grades 4-8 and the 3 R's for the younger grades.
on November 3, 2009
I am amazed at how much helpful information was put into this book. I have already implemented some of the suggestions in several of the subjects, and have been pleased with the results. My kids are responding very well to my new teaching style, and are showing interest in subjects that bored or frustrated them before, including literature, math, and study of artists. I highly recommend this book, not only to other home schooling parents, but to all parents wanting to help with their childrens' learning.