Customer Discussions > Minutes to Midnight forum

You are all so negative and narrow minded

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 47 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 16, 2007 11:35:07 AM PDT
MQ says:
Let a band grow for crying out loud. These band members are men not kids anymore and they've matured their style so why is that so wrong?

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2007 12:45:15 PM PDT
Alright lets get this out in the open. Matured style. This is being thrown around quite a bit and this type of terminology is ambiguous and missleading. Matured is Linkin Park's new messiah, being used as a catch 22, fail safe, and in this case being used as an excuse for the lack of content on this album. Saying they matured isn't accurate and it doesn't wipe the blood from the wall. Here is an example and don't look into it too deeply and go into so stupid Wikipedia research fit people.

If M.Manson decided to make a Christian fun filled flute only album would he be maturing? Oh look everyone, Manson's new album is so adult now, he grew out of that rock phase. Now he is a pillar of society, so mature. That's not maturing, that changing.

Maturing means that you grew out of something. Like a pair of pants or when a kid stops watching Mr. Rogers and picks up Power Rangers. So, Linkin Park grew out of genre? Thats a cop out. Linkin Park the way it is now is like the Cosby show with white people. Painfully different changes brought upon by unknown evil forces.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2007 1:19:09 PM PDT
MQ says:
I think they did mature, or in your case grow out of something. They grew out of their old style. Changing is part of maturing or stepping out of the usual.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2007 2:07:36 PM PDT
So what if they've "matured," this maturity sounds weak. I liked linkin park's first two albums (as did many other people) and i'm not feeling this change (or "maturing" as you call it). Linkin Park had an interesting style to them because they're one of the few bands that WAS capable of mixing the hard rock tones with rap. Most bands do one better than the other but LP had this rap-rock infusion down to a tea and they still had a uniqueness to them. This "maturing" just makes them sound like so many other bands of both present and past.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2007 2:19:00 PM PDT
MQ says:
They do sound different, and I do admit there are some songs that I do not like but just like their other albums, sometimes there are a couple of songs that are bound to be skipped. All I am saying is that yeah they do sound different but sounding different doesn't mean that it's a bad thing. I do feel their album was too short and missing something but we couldn't have them sound the same over and over again because then it would show that they don't know how to experiment and simply recycle songs with new words.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2007 2:28:53 PM PDT
What it all comes down to is this question: Do you prefer their new style or their old style? Would you rather listen to Hybrid Theory and Meteora or Minutes to Midnight 5 years from now? I personally prefer Hybrid Theory and Meteora and that's why i say this album is weak because the change (or maturing) is weaker than their previous releases. I personally dont understand this idealogy of repetition being bad; why "improve" (or change) what already works? What's the point, i haven't gotten tired of listenin to their previous albums yet so why would i get tired of listenin to new material that's done in the same vain?

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2007 2:36:57 PM PDT
paris says:
i'm not narrow minded.

the band would have to grow to fatten their bank accounts. but let's be realistic here.

nu metal died out and if LP were to keep doing that they would have been laughed out of the industry and long forgotten like papa roach and static x.

by the way to me at least "what i've done" is like a scream verison of "still haven't found what i'm looking for" by U2!

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2007 3:14:37 PM PDT
MQ says:
I'm glad you're not narrow minded and open to music sounding different.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2007 3:16:00 PM PDT
MQ says:
I'm thinking LP probably got tired of creating the same things over and over again. For me sometimes it's cool to see artists try out new things...

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2007 8:29:55 PM PDT
Jack says:
Hidden Valley Ranch and Alejandro Castro said it all. Bands keep trying new things this year (Silverchair, Linkin Park, Finger Eleven, etc.) and failing miserably at it! Just stop! We (the fans) already know what we want to hear from bands otherwise those bands wouldn't be where they are in the first place if their original work "needed to mature". I am mad as hell at Silverchair for the way they mutated from an incredibly melodic, passion-filled rock anthem band to this ridiculously goofy, atrocious dance-funk horror of a new album they just released called YOUNG MODERN. People in denial are praising it as a "maturing" sound yet nothing could be further from the truth. It's garbage that no other unknown band could dare get signed with. The only reason it is selling is because the band's past reputation and loyal fans (although now they have lost many including me). I feel the same way with this new Linkin Park cd even though it isn't quite the abomination that Silverchair became. If people wanted bands to totally change their entire sound then we wouldn't have started listening to them to begin with. Sure there are fickle people out there who may love one song from this band and one song from that band, but are they really supporting a band's root sound or just supporting certain songs and could really care less about how many different genres an artist skips around to? Certain bands do certain styles better than others and were destined to do that one particular style that they do best, plain and simple. If a band gets tired of doing the style that they do best then the solution is simple....change the band's name so that followers of their best original music are not fooled into thinking that they are supporting the same band and sound that they originally fell in love with.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2007 9:12:24 PM PDT
MQ says:
Why are people not open to new things? People are so afraid. If people are scared about their favorite band trying out new things, then everything would stay the same. Why would a band want to stay the same. It'd be as if they haven't learned anything new at all. It would become routine and no longer challenging. I do understand what all of you are saying. I get the point that you are making but these guys are experimenting and they wanted to show us what they were capable of doing and that they are not simply stuck in one way of making music.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2007 9:35:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2007 1:17:25 AM PDT
Jack says:
Because anymore "maturing" simply means "abandoning your normal successful style in favor of a less appealing, less catchy, less powerful and less memorable sound". When I want to listen to Silverchair, I want to hear only Silverchair, not The Polyphonic Spree. When I listen to Linkin Park I want to hear only Linkin Park, not newer/crappier 30 Seconds To Mars. Certain bands sound best doing one style and not another. We know music like what Linkin Park just released already exists and if we wanted to hear it, we would hunt down those bands. Obviously we listen to Linkin Park to hear them do what they do best.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2007 9:48:27 PM PDT
MQ says:
I don't see the similarities between Fall Out Boy and LP, better yet I have not familiarized myself with Fall Out Boy enough to compare them. Are you a musician?

This is the same reaction that fans of 30 Seconds to Mars had when "A Beautiful Lie" came out. Their old fans turned their backs against them and were crying "emo." If I were a musician I'd want to learn new things all the time. Maybe LP this time was making music for themselves and not the fans. They don't have to prove themselves to anyone, they can do as they please. They are old enough to make their own decisions and people can take it or leave it, nothing wrong with that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2007 11:07:14 PM PDT
seriously, everybody needs to get over themselves. minutes to midnights is a good album. there is a lot of depth to the lyrics and music. im glad linkin park changed, cus i don't want to listen to another hybrid theory or meteora. you cannot expect musicians to never change because it gets boring making the same kind of music over and over.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2007 11:19:48 PM PDT
MQ says:
Thank You!

It would be like having the same job and doing the same tasks over and over and over again with no change at all.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2007 12:58:17 AM PDT
Papa Roach and Static-X are far from forgotten.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2007 6:07:42 AM PDT
Itsame Mario says:
Yeah, Papa Roach actually has a song that's up high on both rock charts here...if it wasn't for LP, they would be #1 right now.

Anyways, the problem is that they changed too fast with non-stop ballads and less rapping. THe band really needed to change gradually like RHCP and NIN did over the years.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2007 2:02:28 PM PDT
NIN should have never changed. Thier earlier albums trump these as of late as they are still good as they were when they were released. I am glad he stopped his self destructive drug use but I still like the earlier albums.

Linkin Park NU-Album argument is the new Abortion. Meaning, you can't convince one side or the other their wrong. There isn't one statement that I or anyone else could say to keep people from liking the new album if they like it, or vice versa. However, I hope that by reading our posts that people will see what an upset this is to people who preferred their old sound. I have stated in other posts I could give a rat's *** if they want to change. I just can't handle that they changed it and it's not really that good. It feels like a "crammed for the test" effort.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2007 10:26:10 PM PDT
Adrien Frost says:
What really works is if you enjoy both types of music. As for myself, I'm a huge music person and I listen to almost anything (and I mean it). There are certain things I absolutely dispise (like Hole) but so long as Linkin Park doesn't decide to become the next Fergie then it's all good with me. LP is the only band I can stand hearing music from involving screaming; while I don't particularly love it (it's hard to sing to), it's kinda cool in the long run. So what if this stuff is new? It's the same band, they wouldn't have released it if they didn't like it themselves (I think) so you should all just be glad they are continuing what they started rather than flat out giving up.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2007 7:52:49 AM PDT
T. MacDonald says:
I have to agree with the need for a more subtle change. This all reminds me of the days of Sugar Ray, now wait, I know they are the poster child for pop lately but I have a point. If you ever had a chance to listen to their earlier album, Floored, with their first hit to stardom Fly, the rest of the album sounds NOTHING like their single. They had another hit with RPM on the X-games soundtrack, which was truer to their sound, but they ran with the Fly sound and never looked back. Overnight almost they had become pop kings and although I was pissed that they "sold out", I bought their other albums for entirely different sound tastes. I have yet to buy the new LP album for fear of a Sugar Ray-esque change that some of you are forecasting, but something tells me I will respect the change all the same and everyone else should too. Also, Saliva is yet another band pursuing another sound, no?

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2007 1:14:56 PM PDT
Man, people are so funny. Everyone acts like the band makes the music for them. Hmmm...ever stop to think the painter paints what he wants and if people like then they do just that and like it? You people act like the band owes you, maybe they owe themselves the creative right to do what they want with their music/art. Hmmm...or maybe everyone is so caught up in what THEY want they forget that people have creative freedom? Yeah, that's what I gotta say, maybe it's that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2007 1:50:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 18, 2007 1:51:12 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2007 1:51:56 PM PDT
I for one love the fact that bands these days have the guts to change up the style that made them famous, especially considering all the fickle, whiny people that bash their "favorite band" for trying something new. Call me crazy, but if I want to listen to Hybrid Theory, I only need one copy of it, and not 5 remakes of the same exact sound. They did that, and now they decided to try something else, and just bc some people might not prefer the sound they have chosen, it in no way means it is sub parm it's just not your style. There are a lot of people in the world, and they are not going to please everyone, but as I type this and listen to it, I am very pleased with the new album, as I have been with all of their previous releases. So to the people who wanted another Hybrid Theory, go listen to that. For others that embrace change and a slightly softer LP, please buy this cd.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2007 6:26:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2007 6:27:28 PM PDT
Word up son Hybrid Theory is a classic. Meteora is Hybrid Theory pt 2. The songs are sequels to each other. In the End-Numb Easier to Run-Crawling. The songs are pt 2's. This album is great and it is their true second album. Hybrid Theory is better than Meteora so if they did pt 3 how good could it have been? I miss the old style and Mike put out Fort Minor to quench that hip hop thrist. He dominated the first two albums verses and now it was Chesters chance to shine. And like a true band they made something for everyone on here. Plus Mike has become a real Emcee so its hard for him to just spit some nonsence about his head being messed up and than putting out another Fort Minor. People said Linkin Park were'nt a real band but this album def proves they could hang with U2 and destroy Green Day.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2007 9:24:16 PM PDT
A. Brewer says:
Not all of us who dislike the labum think the artist makes the album for us. We just don't like it. It can be maturing, changing, whatever you want to call it. Either we will like it, or we won't. I could like something from LP that doesn't sound like Hybrid Theory or Meteora, but frankly I don't like this. Is there something wrong with my opinion? Should I cream all over it because it's soooo artistic? Because it is artistic. It just isn't terribly appealing to me. I think the main reason so many people are up in arms is because LP was one of the few remaining all-around good rock bands, and with an album that isn't appealing, it's as if there's less hope out there for us to find new music that fits our taste. I don't think the band "owes me" anything, however I am disappointed that their new work doesn't fit my taste, and I think that's the consensus. Is it okay with you if our taste doesn't "mature?" Or should the bands determine our taste for us, should we base our taste on what band decides to do? ...because that's sort of what you mature-with-the-band folk are implying. I know what I like, and I'll continue to like it. I'm not a mindless drone who just accepts the best-of-what's-around instead of what I prefer.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Minutes to Midnight forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  May 16, 2007
Latest post:  Oct 19, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Minutes to Midnight
Minutes to Midnight by Linkin Park (Audio CD - 2007)
3.7 out of 5 stars   (30)