Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Governor of Poker [Download]
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on January 20, 2010
The last time I really enjoyed a poker game, was playing Poker Academy online. The alternative currency - PAX - gave players a realistic comparison tool, without having to spend real money.

For a long time, I've been seeking a poker game with a deeper story line; something beyond just cards. This game fits the bill perfectly. Accumulating money, then real estate, and then towns, allows you qualify in higher stakes games with more talented players from neighboring towns.

I own three towns currently,but I must warn you - this game is best played when your patience and interest is high. Otherwise, you can make careless decisions, which the opponents will be sure to capitalize on. When money runs too low to buy entry into tournaments or cash games, you'll then have to sell of property to free up some cash. In my experience, this game rewards somewhat conservative play. Whenever I get impatient and loosen up too frequently, I almost always pay a steep price. As I'm starting to work my way out of the nsighboring towns, I'm finding that players bluff mych more frequently, and are tougher opponents in general.

Far as suck-outs. Yes, they happen, but they work both ways. I've been on the receiving end of a few river cards. By no means, is this game unbeatable. It's challenging for sure, but if you play somewhat conservatively and avoid foolish decisions, placing in the money during tournaments isn't that hard.

For the price especially, you will never find a better poker game than Governor of Poker. It may not be high tech or overly fancy, but it keeps me interested. I can't recommend it highly enough.
on October 1, 2009
I would like to say this is a very fun Texas hold 'em poker game. The other reviewer must have never played texas hold'em before, as the odds are fine, its how you read the computer opponents and play your cards. This game is different than the rest because you use your money to purchase building and towns, and you can even wager the buildings in cash games, which comes in handy sometimes when you want to take more of the pot but dont have the cash flow.
on August 4, 2013
I have Windows 7 64. AVG detected a virus in the trial. The problem could be in the trial or the Amazon Game Installer. Anyway, I took the selected action. The software didn't work. Being that no one has mentioned this before, it's likely that AVG is being overzealous. But I don't take those kind of chances. Anyway, I couldn't try, so I didn't buy...
on February 25, 2013
Had fun playing until it seemed apparent the game was programmed and not a game of chance. One indication was that in many instances if the last card did not help you it was very likely a great benefit to the others. The results of the game had nothing to do with your choices. It appears that the programmers are not capable of constructing a game of chance. Ron
on June 7, 2013
I used this game to teach myself Texas Holdem. This was back in 2010. I practiced here, hours a day, until I mastered it and went on to win real hands. Yes, it is a basic interface but sometimes that's best for beginners and then later just for a nice little diversion. Haven't played this in a few years now because it doesn't operate on my OS of Win 7.
Worth the price, in any event. Got my money's worth and then some.
on August 19, 2013
if you like to play Texas Holdem then this is the game you would like, you really have to play your game to win. so if you like competition then you would like this game and it's second edition as well
on June 5, 2014
Fun program but doesn't offer information provided in Governor of Poker 2. Version 2 lets you compare cards after each hand to see why the winning hand won and has other benefits to it. Note that there are several versions of GP2 and it is unknown what "extras" are provided in each version.
on November 4, 2014
It's ok for the first town, but when you get to the second set of towns and start buying property, the games become impossible to win. Which makes it boring real fast. I bought it from their site and wish I had not bothered to do so.

Save your money.
on May 19, 2011
From the sound of things, there *are* people who have gotten this game working in XP, and with more and more people moving to Vista/Win7 this issue may eventually be obsolete, but I would warn anyone with an XP system that you may be playing system roulette. I experienced the same bug as the other 1-star reviewer reported. The game crashes without loading on both of the WindowsXP systems I've installed it on. There are no patches available, no fixes I could find anywhere on the web, and the only advice the creators offered was to contact Amazon's tech support. Amazon's tech support, in case you've never read the troubleshooting tips for the game download center, circularly suggests contacting the game creators.

At seven bucks, it's not a lemon I'm going to lose any sleep over, but it's also not the first game I've had trouble getting to work through Amazon (Another required downloading two library files that Amazon apparently failed to include in their version of the installer. Had to find that gem buried in the company's forums, since Amazon is presumably not a huge source of their sales.) I am disappointed in the lack of tech support for Amazon game downloads, and will probably be sticking with one of the better established game providers like Steam from now on.
on June 25, 2014
Two times I purchased the game, and it wasn't cheap and my husband and I loved playing it. We both became governor and then it stopped and someone elses name was on it. Did it twice. Too bad, nothing I can do about it.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse