4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, November 13, 2009
C. T. Northrup (New York City, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Young Henry of Navarre (Paperback)
I became fascinated with this era in history after seeing the excellent movie Queen Margot again, and reading Susan Carroll's The Dark Queen and wanted something a bit more substantial. This book, found at a brooklyn stoop sale, did not disappoint...

One of the best historical fiction novels I've ever read. Expansive, engaging and intelligent; the book only lacks a deep emotional layer and connection with Henry. Within the beauty of the book, you feel for his plight, you cheer for him, but ultimately Henry remains a figure from history, elusive and somewhat distant. Enigmatic, as perhaps the author intended...

5.0 out of 5 stars exceptional, July 13, 2010
This review is from: Young Henry of Navarre (Paperback)
This is by far the most wonderful book I have ever read and I read a lot of books.. It is so well written, so touching, the characters are so well defined, so many twists and turns, I could not put the book down. Even after I finished reading it, I felt like I will never read something that will have such a profound impact on my soul. If you read this great book, you will love Henry of Navarre, you will connect with him and want to know more about him. That's why I bought and read "Henry, King of France" by the same author, after I read this and it made the same impression on me. They are both exceptional books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Young Henry of Navarra, July 17, 2011
This review is from: Young Henry of Navarre (Paperback)
Excellent story. Should interest all those having a minimal knowledge of 16th century European history and gives an original insight in de the rise to power in France of the House of Navarra. The elder brother of Thomas Mann spins a very good tale. The language used is slendidly 16th century English.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the read, but the price is high., June 14, 2014
This review is from: Young Henry of Navarre (Paperback)
A challenge to read. In places, pure poetry, full of wisdom. In too many others, it is simply a chore -- to follow, to comprehend, to tie together with what has gone before. Worth the read, but the price is high.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a classic, June 1, 2014
This review is from: Young Henry of Navarre (Paperback)
My title says it all. I have the sequel that is the life of Henry IV of France and I wanted to have Mann's book of his younger life, Grateful that it is so easy these days to have access to a desired boo0k.

Young Henry of Navarre
Young Henry of Navarre by Heinrich Mann (Paperback - December 30, 2003)
$24.95 $22.46