Young Lovecraft
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$14.45 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 1, 2010
A friend mentioned this book to me and I'm very glad he did. Sometimes even the most assiduous Lovecraftian will miss something in the ever expanding Lovecraft circle. Young Lovecraft was originally pubished in Spain; it is a comic by Jose Oliver (story) and Bartolo Torres (artist). Kettle Drummer Books has compiled them into a graphic novel format and provided a translation. In fact, if Amazon would allow me to print the link to the company website I would post it, as they are a very intersting company. They have a new graphic novel, Cthulhu #1, which has translations of outre Spanish comics, not necessarily Lovecraftian.

I will get my biggest complaint out of the way. I think there was an opportunity missed. I know publication costs are high but I would have loved a brief history of the strip, where the idea came from, how the creators collaborate and what their future plans are. I would also like to know who did the translations, as the strips read very naturally in English.

Any way, this is a wonderful series. The premise is young HPL is living with his 2 aunts in Providence and is doing what all kids do, going to school, while summoning noisome things from the Necronomicon. I particularly like his pet ghoul, masquerading as a dog. The art is just about perfect and the humor quite sharp. Lovecraftian comics and humor do not get any better than this.

Young Lovecraft reminds us that in English we are only seeing part of the worldwide phenomenon of HPL's popularity, similar to the series of books from Kurodahan Press giving us a window into Japan. How I wish we could see more Spanish language mythos translated into English. The best part about this book is that there just has to be more on the horizon.

Bravo Srs Oliver and Torres. Encore.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on December 14, 2014
wonderful book! just love this!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again

Customers who viewed this also viewed
Haunter Of The Dark: And Other Grotesque Visions
Haunter Of The Dark: And Other Grotesque Visions by John Coulthart (Paperback - March 1, 2014)
$13.32

Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham - Book 1
Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham - Book 1 by Mike Mignola and Richard Pace (Paperback - 2000)

Coffin Hill Vol. 1: Forest of the Night
Coffin Hill Vol. 1: Forest of the Night by Caitlin Kittredge (Paperback - May 20, 2014)
$7.41