5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite baby shower gift!
I discovered Me Ra Koh a few years ago when I ordered her DVDs "Refuse to Say Cheese" and "Beyond the Green Box". I found that I loved her warm, informal style and was greatly encouraged to re-learn what I'd known about real photography.

Published on March 15, 2011 by TeacherAmy

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you are a beginner
This book is ok, although I was expecting a bit more based on the great reviews. This is better for a beginner photographer with a point and shoot camera or someone who just got their firs dslr. For those people the book will be useful, since it has very simple instructions on how to get the shots.
I'm an intermediate photographer and I was looking for new ideas and...
Published 6 months ago by JJ

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite baby shower gift!, March 15, 2011
TeacherAmy (Charlotte, NC Metro) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Your Baby in Pictures: The New Parents' Guide to Photographing Your Baby's First Year (Paperback)

How wonderful to find that her book has the same Me Ra character--a friendly, down-to-earth friend who comes alongside you and shows you what she's doing with her camera to capture a certain sense. I grieve over the fact that I didn't have this knowledge when my own babies were new & squishy, since I was in such a sleep-deprived exhaustion that these "photo recipes" were what I needed Me Ra provides clear explanations and cuts right through technical confusion to open up a whole new world of photographing memories. She explains why it is she's doing what she's doing, which creates continual "a-ha" moments that make learning a new hobby so approachable. What sets this apart from any other book out there is the loving treatment of all those unique baby moments from someone who has obviously been there and cherished them: the fleeting hair swirl, baby feet, the love pats while feeding, inked-up baby feet at the hospital, .

Babyhood, much to my sorrow, is all too fleeting, and I only wish I'd had this book sooner so that I could have had this knowledge while my own were still in the newborn phase. Without question, I am giving this as my favorite New Baby Gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for new parents!, March 15, 2011
This is a great book for any new parent out there--the helpful information about how to take a photograph, how to use your camera as well as capture the moment is great. As a new mommy and a photographer also, I was encouraged to see my baby with new eyes all over again! Thank you MeRa for the great book!

MeRa is fabulous throughout the book and in person--you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Where do I begin?, January 1, 2012
Melissa Harris (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
I guess I'll just add my 5-star review to the pile.

This book is so wonderful and helpful and came at the PERFECT time. I have one of those "fancy" cameras and not a lot of knowledge about it. I keep thinking I'll "learn one day" but keep it in its Auto mode 99% of the time. Well, at 39 weeks pregnant I decided that pictures of our first newborn were an absolute necessity but we couldn't afford to pay a photographer, so it was high time that I learn how to use that puppy!

In her introduction, Me Ra Koh explains that when she bought her first big-girl camera, she felt lost and people who were "in the know" talked above her head or in terms that seemed like a foreign language. Hello, kindred spirits, sister! I have more than one pal who takes photographs professionally - a couple who are freakishly good and make a great living at it. But when they talk about their photos, it's like they're speaking Japanese.

I grabbed a Cabbage Patch doll from my childhood and began experimenting with my camera the day I got this book. Little by little, chapter by chapter, Me Ra introduces you to quick tips and tricks to get great pictures - even in Auto mode. Then she gives you projects with "recipes" for a great photo - so I can take my camera out of Auto mode and set the aperture, ISO, and shutter speed for myself and get accustomed to what these settings change in each picture. I find myself taking more than one picture, changing settings with each one, and then comparing. I'm actually learning, and it's fun!

I'm 39 weeks and 4 days and baby has still not made his entrance into the world.. but I've got some great pictures of my Cabbage Patch doll! This is THE book for new parents and/or people who are nervous about photography. It's YOUR family and YOUR baby. Have fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Author has great writing style, highly recommended even for intermediate photograpers, August 23, 2011
JC (California) - See all my reviews
I bought this book based on the great reviews here, and the fact that my first child (daughter) is to be born in about a month.

I greatly appreciate the author's writing style --- helpful, not condescending, slightly humorous at times, personal, etc.

I would consider myself an intermediate photographer: been shooting with DSLRs for a few years, have studied various books/manuals on digital photography, frequently post process using GIMP. While I didn't really learn anything new in this book concerning camera settings (ISO, shutter, apeture) I really appreciate it as a refresher course on some things. Overall my favorite part of the book (and the reason I bought it) is the great example shots. They serve as a great jumping off point for shots I hope to get with my newborn.

I also really appreciate how the book is divided into months of life, making it a easy, logical read.

At $10 I highly recommend this book, and it even if you don't learn anything new from it it makes a wonderful coffee table book because who doesnt like great pictures of babies?!?!

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I got the book!, March 21, 2011
marco Zuniga (san Jose, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This book is beautifully done. I love this book!
It is so easy to understand, and gives you clear tips and instructions on not only the technical aspects, but the ideas behind the photos. It explains the concept of storytelling, which is so needed when photographing your baby.
Such a great book to not only read, but use as a handy guidebook. plus, it is not only for DSLR usesrs, but also the Point and shooters out there. I would totally recommend this book for anyone with a new baby, or anyone who may be interested in getting into the business of photographing babies and children.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you own a camera you need this book, March 15, 2011
Love this book. Anyone who has a baby in there life needs to have a copy of this book. It is clear, concise and inspiring. The "recipes" are easy to understand and the results are beautiful. This is a must have and would also make a great gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful book for beginers and advanced photographers, March 15, 2011
I love love love this book! I am a family portrait photographer, but I have never been over the moon about my newborn photos. Now I am! If you are an advanced photographer you will get a ton of ideas for natural posing and things to do during the shoot. And if you are a beginner, this book, and everything else Me Ra Koh is the thing for you! Me Ra's style is simple great photos- and she gives you just enough technical information to get there. The photo recipes are so helpful to get you started. A great way to learn is to copy someone you admire, and the more you shoot the more your own style will emerge. Get started with newborns with this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you are a beginner, February 28, 2014
I'm an intermediate photographer and I was looking for new ideas and techniques for photographing babies. A lot of the ideas in the book are sort of like photography 101 and the ideas cover the basics. Nothing very unique or new to me. So this is definitely more for beginners.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE, March 21, 2011
Tiffany Miller (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
I have been following Me Ra for a long time, she is a true inspiration for anyone wanting to take better pictures or a person wanting to become a rockstar photographer. This book is so well written and I love the design. I have been a portrait photographer for over a year and there are so many new tips and tricks in this book that I cannot wait to try. thank you Me Ra for all you do! your awesome and so is this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on!, March 19, 2011
For anyone who wants to photograph babies, this book is perfect -- it couldn't be better. Not only does the book explain the technical aspects of good photography (aperature, ISO) it also describes how to compose a picture to get the best out of your subject -- in this case, BABIES!! Me Ra Koh sets up each shot so you know what time of day works best, what camera settings to use, and she includes other wonderful tips to practically guarentee success. Plus, the photos she includes in her book are breathtaking. At this price, you can't go wrong.

$19.99 $14.37