Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Your Baby's First Year: Third Edition
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on February 4, 2011
This book presents itself like a 800 page novel, so if you don't like to read a lot or want more pictures, this book isn't for you. It's full of great material, but again, it reads like a thick book. It has some great growth charts in the back (but they're really small since the book is small) and it has great sections on common (and uncommon) illnesses. If you want straightforward information from a trustworthy source, you can't get much more trustworthy than the American Academy of Pedicatrics. If you LOVED your What to Expect When Expecting book, I would get the What to Expect in the First Year book. I didn't like the WTEWE book so I didn't get the first year book, I chose this one instead.
on January 31, 2011
I have really enjoyed reading this book before my daughter was born and now re-reading the chapters as she gets older. I am a Family Medicine physician, so I feel that I know a lot about children, but this book has a lot of practical advice that is supported by the AAP and current clinical guidelines. It is also inexpensive. I think this is a great book for new parents.
on March 17, 2014
If you're going to buy a book to answer basic questions about your baby, this is a good one, but the American Academy of Pediatrics has published a more comprehensive version--"Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth through Age 5"--with the same information but covering a larger age range. This is the basic information your pediatrician will reference when telling you how to deal with common problems such as a stuffy nose, spitting up, etc. Whenever our son had a problem, we always called the pediatrician first but also read what this book had to say, and the suggestions were always the same. This book was also helpful in helping us diagnose his first ear infection! Also, it gives great info about how babies develop and how to play with your baby when he is super young.
on March 13, 2011
My son is now 11 months old and this has sat on our coffee table since midway through my pregnancy. I have referred to it many, many times throughout that time. The table of contents are far too big to list out, but here are the major headings:

Preparing for a New Baby
Musculoskelital Problems
Skin
Chronic Conditions and Diseases
The Environment and Your Baby

I have liked this so much that I've now ordered the AAP's book on birth to 5 years. I hope that it is as good a resource as this was!
on September 1, 2015
It has taken me forever (exaggerated of course) to find this book. I received the first edition 9 years ago and no other book even half matches how great this book is. It is detailed what to expect during each month, how you can help baby develop skills, messages for grandparents that are tactful and very kind, and even has advice for older children. This book is a MUST buy no matter how many children you already have.
on July 3, 2013
As FTM, I wanted a baby book that was more credible than "What to expect the first year", but found the two books largely the same. Just like 'what to expect', this book includes a first aid, disease and vaccine portion and then goes on to explain babies' development for every month. The only thing where I've noticed this book is lacking is on the subject of sleep. I supplemented this book with 'Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child'. I really like that this book also has a section in each chapter dedicated to grandparents, explaining that things change over the years and to respect the parents' wishes and things like that! This book gives me more peace of mind than 'what to expect' because I know it's directly coming from the AAP.
on October 18, 2013
It has some good information such as milestones and such but I do find the organization very political. I believe politics should be left out of a book about raising a baby. I also found more than a few contradictions in the text.
on August 27, 2014
This is a great reference guide for new parents or a refresher for seasoned parents. It lays out the basic development and milestones to expect every few months. This book does not go as far as to give any technique for childrearing... there's no advice on sleeping or nutrition (solids, or formula v breastmilk). It is very neutral that way. If you want advice you will have to research elsewhere.

I read this during the newborn phase and I rarely go back to look through the book. I bought this on paperback because I thought I would need the handy reference and to share with my husband, but I probably could have just read this once through the library.
on May 8, 2014
This book has been such a great resource for my husband and I as we navigate new parenthood. Google is fine, but we find there are so many non-experts sharing what they think is helpful, but at the end of the day we just wanted an expert's point of view. This book has been a great resource at 2 AM when we weren't sure if calling the Pediatrician was necessary or not. Of course, if you're experiencing an emergency, you should ALWAYS call 911, but for minor things this book is wonderful.
on February 7, 2015
Highly recommended -- this book is very well-written with the target audience of first-time parents in mind. Provides thorough explanations and advice based on scientific studies, established practices, and recommendations by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Contains a month-by-month walk through of what to expect from your newborn for the first 12 months.