Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

on July 28, 2010
This book is a must have, not only for musicians, but for artists of all types! It's a nuts and bolts approach to getting the word out for all artists, be it writer, traditional artist, or anyone else who needs to promote their work.

"Your Band Is A Virus" takes the reader step by step through understanding how marketing works, how to use low and no cost advertising methods to build up a fan base and use the media to your advantage. It also includes specific sites and contacts to use.

I easily recommend this book to everyone who has ever asked themselves "how do I let the world know about my work?"

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Michael C. Greer
Author and Musician
on September 12, 2011
I read this book to get a handle on how artists (in any medium) can gain exposure to their target audience without investing a lot of money. Very insightful, this takes you step by step through various campaigns and marketing strategies and is ideal for the beginner, like me. Not sure if this is something that marketing pros need, but if you are more of a one-man-show and need some help getting noticed, this is a huge help. The information listed here is very relevant, detailed, and can walk you through every step of the marketing plans to get you more recognition and you can manage all of the work without needing to hire someone to do the work for you. As any cash-strapped artist can vouch, the more you can afford to do on your own, the better position you'll put yourself in. All in all, I found this book very informative, very helpful, and best of all, very easy to understand.
on May 5, 2011
"Your Band Is A Virus" is an inspiring book that provides step-by-step tips about how to get seen in the industry--from what to include in your website to where and how to promote your music. It's well-written, easy-to-read and will leave you with a clear plan about how to market your music. A must-have for independent musicians!
on April 24, 2011
This book is so good that it pains me that by reviewing it well there will be more bands out there using the same techniques. Great book and full of relevant knowledge. Skip all the others and stick with this one. Highly recommended.
on August 17, 2010
After seeing the price I was a bit sceptical, it seemed low and often with low prices we get low quality. Not so at all with this. I'd easily put the price at double what it is now.

If you want to get a practical, this is how you do it guide that gives you the explanation too, this is your book. Clearly an in the trenches kind of author, the real deal.
on December 1, 2011
I am a total social media nerd. And although I'm an author, and not a musician, the principles are the same.

It's really a book about building a musical cult following, and how to do it online. Think of the band `The Grateful Dead;' during their heyday, they were the only big band that allowed people to record their shows. The rest of the musical acts were against people freely recording their shows because they thought it would take away from their profits, etc. But not The Grateful Dead. Not only did they allow people to freely record their shows, but they set up a special section just for people to record their shows. And you know what happened? The Grateful Dead exploded even more. All the people who recorded the shows for free would share the recordings with friends--introducing them to The Grateful Dead--and those people would become fans, and the people who made the recordings would want to go to even more shows and make even more recordings--and shows is where bands make the big money. And another thing, the fans loved them for allowing them to record the shows--it showed that they weren't just money-grubbing people.

I know that's a long example, and it's from the 60's and 70's, but that's pretty much what the book is about. But it's a modern example. What TGD did was an example of viral marketing. Nowadays, it's similar to where people go to shows and then post the videos up on youtube. Once the videos are uploaded to youtube, or any other video site, then people can freely find the videos online and become fans. The artists won't be losing any money, because even though their songs are available for free on youtube, etc, people will still want to see them live, or get a studio version of the song, something they can put on their iPod and play in the car.

Alright, so that's just on example; but social media is a very powerful tool, and this is a good book to help you hone up on your skills--and it's not just for musical artists either.
on October 30, 2011
My band was discouraged when we didn't get much local coverage for our cd release. I've since used some of the ideas from YBIAV and we've been covered in 4 national publications and a ton of blogs. I'd say get this book even over hiring most publicists if you're ready to do the work.
on October 31, 2011
Really liked how this book focuses only on online marketing for bands. It can all be done from home, and it doesn't get off topic with things like how to find a manager or tour. It's all about getting press and raising the band's reputation. Lots of information...
on July 28, 2010
When I was offered the opportunity to help an indie band promote their work, I was excited, but unsure about how to get started! I found this book and I was thrilled to see how the author laid it all out for me. Viral marketing, guerilla marketing, and real-life scenarios made it easy to come up with a viable game plan. The book is written in a clear, engaging style - it's easy to follow and understand.

Learning about the importance of image, art, and other ways of building a band's profile was one of the highlights of this Kindle book. A full list of links and websites makes it easy to use the book as a handy reference.

Before I read this, I was a little daunted by the prospect of helping an indie band get the word out. Now, I feel up to the challenge. If you're in a band or helping a band do PR, this book is an essential guideline you won't regret buying.
on July 8, 2014
Great book for Indie bands on the "how to make it happen. It is a must read. Do everything recommended and if your music is great you will be happening too.I have no financial interest in this book. Great, how to play by the new rules book.