Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 21, 2002
After an incident of inappropriate touching in my class, I looked depserately for books about our bodies/our rights that would be appropriate to read to a group of 3-5 year olds. While there are many good books out there, too many are only appropriate from parent to child, or instigate TOO many questions. I didn't want to introduce too much information to those children who are still young and innocent, but I wanted a forum to open discussion in our classroom. This book simply describes that your body is your own, and there are touches you like and touches you might not like (like tickling)
11 comment|123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon March 23, 2005
How I wish this delightful book existed when I was a child. Until fairly recent years, most children were warned about the cliche stranger, but very seldom was the issue of predators children knew ever addressed. When I was a child, I honestly thought a double standard existed - improper touching was only frowned upon by one's caretakers if done by strangers. During those years, I wondered why nobody ever said if children had any recourse if they were confronted with "bad touches" by people they knew.

This is a wonderfully empowering book. It also dispels the myth of the candy-bearing stranger, lurking on playgrounds and parks if indeed he ever even existed. Statistics have shown that "bad touches" are very rarely done by strangers! The text is gentle and simple without being overly so; it is something I would happily present to every child from 2 on up as well. It is timeless; the message of assertiveness and respect for boundaries and the human body at large can never be over emphasized.

I also like the way the book encourages children not to keep secrets if they are approached and touched inappropriately or made to touch someone else against their will. Private parts are rightfully defined as the parts of the body one's underwear and bathing suits cover. My favorite point the book stressed was what to do if the touch is neither wanted nor welcome and that it is perfectly all right not to want to be touched in certain ways. The most important service this book does is distinguishes "good" and "bad" touches and that for the most part, hugs and kisses are perfectly fine and acceptable.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It will certainly help empower children of all ages and will also help to put an end to keeping harmful secrets. I also highly recommend in addition to this book Sandy Kleven's "The Right Touch: A Read Aloud Story to Help Prevent Child Sexual Abuse," Linda Walvoord Girard's "My Body is Private" and Peter Alsop's collection "Songs on Sex & Sexuality," most particularly the song "My Body," which addresses this topic in a sensitive and forthright manner.
22 comments|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 29, 2004
This 19-page book contains simple text and warm, gentle, colorful illustrations. I think caring adults should read this book to every child age 2 and up; children age 4-8 will probably be able to read it themselves. The book covers a few simple concepts that would not only empower a child, but shy/unassertive people of any age.
By the end of the book, you'll know: 1)your body belongs to you; 2) it's okay if you don't want to be touched; 3)what to do if you don't want to be touched; 4) your "private parts" are the parts of your body that are covered by a bathing suit, and 5) you shouldn't keep a "touching" secret.
However, this message is conveyed in a very safe, non-threatening manner, and the book begins and ends by acknowledging that most of the time we do like getting hugs and kisses. (Not all touches are bad).
I highly recommend this book!
0Comment|137 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2007
I was disappointed in this book. This book states that it is for ages 4 thru 8. I bought this for my 7 year old. This book is more for ages 2 thru 4. I have a 4 year old so I read it to him and it is now his book. This book is way too vague for an older child about who and where you should and should not be touched. Surprisingly it talks more about how it is ok to tell mom or dad or someone you love when you don't feel like giving them an innocent hug or innocent kiss. The following is from 2 pages in the book.

'Sometimes you don't like to be touched. Sometimes you don't want a hug or kiss, even from someone you love. Then you can say, "No, not right now, please!" Or you can show you don't want to be touched by not hugging or kissing back, or by pulling away.'

That was 2 pages from the book. That is mainly what it discusses. I wanted more about the wrong kind of touching. It only briefly scanned over that in the book. This book is not worth the money, but the book was cheap enough that I took it as a loss rather than paying for shipping to send it back. Like I said before though, I would recommend this book for much younger kids that can't understand much more than simple explanations, but because of the age range it gave and the son I originally bought it for I would have to give this book 2 stars. For my younger child if this book had said ages 2 thru 4 I would have given it 3 stars, but that is all. Still too vague for me.
66 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2005
This is a really great book. I have young children and needed a teaching tool for them on privacy. This book touches on it lightly and delicately without alot of negativity. It is great for really young children. There are wonderful illustrations also. This book provided exactly what I needed!
on May 16, 2007
I had been looking for an age-appropriate book for my 2 1/2 year old twins on the subject of body awareness and molestation prevention. The problem was that most books either just talked about body parts, or were written for an older child (so they were scarey or just over their heads). This one really addresses those problems. It is a perfect introduction for preschoolers on the subject.
on February 12, 2008
I have two girls (ages 4 and 2) and have been struggling with how to introduce the topic of inappropriate touching to them. This book made it much easier. It handles the subject matter-of-factly and with simple to understand terms. Children learn that it's OK if they don't want to be touched, that their private areas are those that are covered by a bathing suit, and that touching is never a secret. I think it's important to introduce this subject to children at a young age and this book allows you do so in a non-threatening, non-frightening way.
on April 13, 2014
I first got this book to help my son understand that boys and girls are different at age 3 however, I thought it went a little to far into the differences...they talk about ovaries, sperm etc. And never read it to him. I just wanted a more simple book. However, now my child is 4 1/2 and is asking specific questions about where babies come from. I got the book out and read it to him, I thought it was good because it gives the real names of all the body parts and introduces how babies are made without going it to sex. Just when a man and women love each other they can make a baby. This suffices for my child.
on March 26, 2006
This book discusses a difficult subject in a kid-friendly manner. We want to arm our children with information, without making them distrustful of all people. The author and illustrator have presented a strong subject in a format that is informative, friendly, and reassuring. I highly recommend YOUR BODY BELONGS TO YOU.
on June 28, 2013
Pages are out of order and some upside down. Perfectly printed and quality, but who wants a book out of order?!?