5.0 out of 5 stars GAIN MORE CONTROL OVER YOUR HEALTH
Published 11 months ago by Robert Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars I love Jim LaValle.....but....(this is the wife)
Published 11 months ago by The Triggs

5.0 out of 5 stars GAIN MORE CONTROL OVER YOUR HEALTH, February 17, 2014
This review is from: Your Blood Never Lies: How to Read a Blood Test for a Longer, Healthier Life (Paperback)
This is a most excellent book written for anyone who has ever wondered what all those lab values on their blood tests really meant. James LaValle is a clinical pharmacist and nutritionist. He is also the author of 18 other books. Beginning with triglicerides and ending with C-Reactive Protein, the author takes one through each value and what it means for your health. He describes exactly what causes each condition. Not only does he tell you about high or low values but he also tells you exactly what you can do about it if the value is too high or too low.

He outlines both perscription medications and natural suppliments useful for each condition. Even if your doctor had the time to explain all this to you, you might not be able to grasp all the technical terms he might use. LaValle makes it simple and uses both technical and laymen's terms for his explanations.

Using this book, you will gain a much more complete picture of your health than ever before. Your Blood Never Lies is not a book you will want to sit down and read from cover to cover, (though you can) but will more likely will want to refer to it when you get your next blood test. If you do, you may be well ahead of your doctor in determining your next course of action, and one step closer to good health.

PROS:

1. A comprehensive book.
2. Easy to understand. Well organized for easy comprehention.
3. Written by a professional.
4. A good tool for attaining good health.
5. A recent (2013) up to date edition.
6. Big print/fonts.

CONS:

1. Your doctor may object if he/she thinks you now know more than him.
2. You may become fond of blood tests.
3. There are probably some very specific blood tests not included in his text.

Overall, it's a great book for keeping better track of your health over the long term. I recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars I love Jim LaValle.....but....(this is the wife), February 10, 2014
I would have expected seeing something with the optimal ranges, instead of just reference ranges. For years we've been realizing that things like Thyroid hormones may be "acceptable" at certain ranges, but that does not mean they are optimal. Unfortunate that someone who is such a genius in his work would not address something so fundamental to holistic health. I did not see optimal ranges for most of the endocrine system - thyroid, sex hormones, cortisol/dhea. Was hoping for something more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must for every Medicine Cabinet, October 16, 2013
This is a very frank and concise telling of the meanings of each and every component in a typical blood test (CBC Panel). Doctors order these everyday but rarely explain in detail the meaning of each result. You, armed with this book are able to read, analyze and decide how to exact change in your blood health. It is not enough to be within the "normal" range. Read this book and find out how to improve your readings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfull book, October 24, 2013
Very easy to understand, very informative, well written and with the reference range used in all clinical test in most labs. Also have recommendations of natural supplements used to improve each test. I will recommend this book to all people that wish to understand their labs and want to improve his health condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Everyone Should Know, December 13, 2013
This is the book my doctor should have given me along time ago. My blood profile now makes more sense!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's your body, take control!, May 23, 2014
This is one great book. Trying to Google something showing on a lab test has been so confusing over the years and most of the time I don't really find what I need to know. This book is written in simple words anyone can understand. It tells me so much more than a doctor has ever told me about results. This book not only tells me if there is a problem but, where it is, what may be the cause and how it might be corrected. Correcting the problem could be very simple like taking more minerals, changing life style some, changing a drug or nutritional supplement or, it may take a doctor's help. Big problems may be avoided if when they are little problems you check it out yourself. With a little effort on your part and not totally relying on doctors who are not able to take the time needed for each patient, it can be easy with this type of book to live a long, healthier, productive life and help others along the way. This has been so worth the money and I thank you Mr. LaValle.
PS: I am 77 and my doctor told me he would be very happy if he had lab test results as good as mine when he gets to be my age. I have to wonder if he will even live this long. I bought this book because I was not happy with some of the results I was looking at. I have changed doctors now and am feeling much better than I was because of side effects from drugs I didn't want to live with. Pray and ask God what you should do about your health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Information!, January 3, 2014
Only about half way through the book, but I have learned a lot about how results of labs are so critical to understand, even if you are in the 'normal' range. The idea of watching how your labs 'trend' is so true. You may be in the 'normal' range, but if you're trending up or down, that can be an early indicator of future issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Your Life--Learn something that might save it, April 23, 2014
Years & years of doctor visits & obligatory blood tests & finally I understand how to use the test results.

Everyone should read this book--especially if you are taking any medicines--even OTC stuff.

The best advice is to get a copy of every blood test from your doctor (it always takes me multiple calls but I don't give up easily).

Then start tracking the results from year to year and look for changes--when a test result starts going higher or lower, that's a sign of a change. Don't expect a busy doctor to notice slight changes -- they typically look at the out-of-range column & not much more.

For instance, do you wait to buy gasoline until your tank is empty? Probably not--so you glance at the gauge occasionally & prevent the problem.

Unfortunately, conventional medicine doesn't focus on preventing problems--it focuses on relieving symptoms (pain, etc) typically with drugs.

This book explains the tests and covers a lot of easy to understand help about what could be causing changes in blood chemistry.

I've discovered that a body doesn't heal/recover/stay well when it's missing a key nutrient. And having a doctor tell you "your blood test came back fine" doesn't work anymore when you know you're not.

I wish this book was written 15 years ago because that's when I started my own personal search for why I didn't feel like myself. I honestly feel better than I did 30 years ago--no pain today & no scripts either.

We know more about what our cars need--gasoline, oil, transmission fluids, etc--than we know about what our body needs to make our heart beat, our vision strong, our brain work, etc. The information is out there--and this book should give people some clues to 'partner' with their doctors for better health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, lots of information., May 8, 2014
This book was easy to read and didn't leave any questions unanswered. I'll be using this as a reference book so I can better understand my blood work . I didn't realize when your doctor said you blood work was "normal", you could be on the very low or high side of normal. If I read this book sooner, I would have made changes, and been more proactive in my healthcare much sooner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great information, March 23, 2014
I bought this book for a friend who is undergoing a lot of tests and doesn't understand the information given to her by the health professionals. She is hesitant to question them and this book has given her a good resource to keep up with the test results. She truly understands what is going on with her tests now.

Your Blood Never Lies: How to Read a Blood Test for a Longer, Healthier Life