Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 12, 2011
Dr. Taylor takes many of the important messages that as parents we are trying to instill in front of his readers in an easy to understand way that all will appreciate. Too often the messages that we are trying to convey gets lost. Whether this is due to our own miscommunications, or if there is outside interference, we have continual issues in trying to convey these messages so that they both listen and hear the message itself.

This book helps parents to relate to their children and hopefully our children to better relate to us in the end.Not only does the book share personal examples of people, but it brings in strong research to support his claims as well.

The author takes a compassionate tone that makes the book easy to read and it is easy to see that he is on a mission to help parents and children to grow mutually together.

Overall this book was great, and if you are looking for a book that will make you re-evaluate your own techniques and how you are coming across to your own kids, this book is an amazing one to have in your collection!
on August 11, 2011
In our fast-paced, high achieving, electronic-gadget oriented society, Dr. Taylor's book provides some sound principles and very specific suggestions for how to keep engaged with our children. Nine basic messages that will help provide a solid foundation to your child as they move through the vagaries of life later. Dr. Taylor encourages how to truly be present for your children and how to understand them as emerging individuals. He hits in on the head that we help shape our children's "default behaviors" through repeated teachable moments and conversations. As the parent of two older teens---I can attest that these messages are mostly secured by the time your children are about 12. You may not even realize those messages are there until you hear reports from others about your children when they are not around YOU. Most importantly, Dr. Taylor illustrates the importance of carefully understanding one's own values and assumptions and continually revisiting those explicitly with your spouse in order to consider what messages you are relaying to your children through both word and action---and what messages you really want to relay. It is a wondrous and continually evolving journey in tandem.
on August 26, 2011
I loved this book! As a parent of 2 young kids (3 and 6), I found every page full of great ideas for how to interact with them in ways that will send all the wholesome messages and values that I want them to absorb. Totally practical, easy to read, and inspiring! Having read this, I feel confident that I can help my children become adults I'll be proud of - responsible, independent, kind, loving, respectful to our planet, and confident. This book also helped me become more mindful of what I am communicating to my kids in every day interactions. It helps well-intentioned parents distinguish between the subtleties of what seems like good parenting on the surface, and what actually is good parenting, by teaching the reader how to recognize the ways in which our parenting messages are ACTUALLY being received by our kids, and empowering us to be in the driver seat. Brilliant!
on November 5, 2011
As a person and parent who is generally skeptical of self help and parenting books, I went into this with some reservations. However, this book is enjoyable, and presents a common sense approach to raising your children in a safe, compassionate environment that respects and embraces the world around them. Not only is each "message" well presented and thought out, but I liked what I thought of as the "bullet points" (catchphrases, rituals and activities) which reinforce the message of each chapter. In the end, while dealing with a complex subject and task, Dr. Taylor kept it relatively simple and fun. A good book for the parenting bookshelf!
on July 7, 2011
Dr. Taylor provides parents who are essentially suspicious of parenting fads or extremes a thoughtful and reasonable approach to communicating with our children. I expect to turn to this text whenever the fast pace and clutter of life knocks me off course. It is very handy to have a resource that actually articulates what we should always have at the forefront of our minds when we relate to our children. Combine that with solid research based insights and helpful tips and this is a book that I'll keep on the bookshelf for at least the next 18 years.
on November 10, 2011
This book is a must-read for any parent. Dr. Jim Taylor writes about the new challenges facing today's parents and suggests reasonable and helpful ways to deal with the problems and difficulties that our children now face. He presents a fabulous book about raising good and thoughtful children in a time when they are exposed to so much, cell phones, technology, etc. Thank you Dr. Jim. I will refer back to your book for years to come!
on September 6, 2011
Your Children are Listening" drives home a very important central theme: The messages you send to your children establish the defaults that they will rely on throughout their lives. Dr. Taylor convey's clearly the protective role our early messages play in preparing our children for lives full of conflicting, scary, manipulative, negative, ignorant and ill-meaning messages coming from various sources. Dr. Taylor uses an excellent mixture of academic findings and personal anecdotes to connect the reader to the why's and how's of effective message delivery. Although "Your Children are Listening" invites the reader to entertain messages not discussed in this book, I think if as parents we could send the messages identified my Dr. Taylor we would have happy, confident, grounded and successful children. This book has made me more aware of the messages I send and has presented many excellent opportunities for discussion with my wife.
on October 20, 2012
This book is excellent! With two new grandchildren in the family, I am passing this book along to my son and daughter to read, study and use as they move forward into their parenting years. Important stuff!! Focused parenting is what is needed in today's world. This book will help parents have a consistent plan!
on August 29, 2011
Dr. Jim Taylor truly has great insight when it comes to kids. When I got the book, I thought the book would be more for kids under 10 but I was wrong. I have a 13 year old daughter, soon to be 14 and Dr. Taylor's messages are spot on. From loving your child to helping develop your child's self confidence, these messages ring true.

I would highly recommend this book, Your Children are Listening to anyone who has kids.
on May 4, 2014
Very good read. This book is very up to date and applicable to raising kids in today's world. Every section is a page turner.