5.0 out of 5 stars They updated my favorite health guide for children!!
Published on February 9, 2006 by Joan C. Frank

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm disappointed that my pediatrician's office recommended this book
Not specific enough information. Most of the things it's talking about is very generalized and not age specific. I'm disappointed that my pediatrician's office recommended this book.
Published 7 months ago by Alisha

5.0 out of 5 stars They updated my favorite health guide for children!!, February 9, 2006
Joan C. Frank (Silver Spring, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Your Child's Health: The Parents' One-Stop Reference Guide to: Symptoms, Emergencies, Common Illnesses, Behavior Problems, and Healthy Development (Paperback)
When I had my first baby in 1997, I bought A LOT of child care/medical reference books. My purchases included Dr. Spock, Dr. Sears, Penelope Leach, and Dr. Brazelton. My only keeper has been "Your Child's Health," but the version I first owned was a bit out of date. (For example, ibuprofen was still a prescription drug.) Now I am delighted that my favorite book when my kids are sick was updated in 2005. When I saw this edition, I immediately replaced my own copy and bought one for my sister who is a new mom.

Like the older edition, this book is organized in a VERY useful way. For each type of problem, there is a quick summary that leads you quickly to an understanding of what you probably should do for your child right now, tomorrow, or at your next doctor's appointment.

This book also helps to calm nervous parents. The section about fevers is a great example of this. Barton acknowledges that fevers are scary for parents. He then provides calming words, clear facts and direction about when you really need to worry.

I still find that the advice does break down when it comes to issues that I consider cultural in nature. I do not think that this author is an expert in the areas of co-sleeping, breast feeding or feeding schedules. I strongly reccomend Dr. Sears or the La Leche League for more thorough and thoughtful information on these subjects.

Despite this small weakness, I think that this is a book that every family with babies and small children MUST have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for parents, November 9, 2007
We take the calls for 20 pediatricians' offices overnight. The protocols we use to decide when a child needs to go to the ER, make an appt during office hours, or be treated by parents at home were written by this author. We often use this book to give parents additional advice for treating at home, because this book is written in a way that is very easy for parents to understand. It covers everything for illness and injury from the basics (is green poop ok?) to the unusual (what to do for a jellyfish sting). At 2 a.m. with a child who has a fever of 104, you will be glad you have this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like having a pediatrician in your pocket, August 30, 2006
J. Twyford "greensage" (Wyoming, United States) - See all my reviews
I've looked at a lot of child care books as both an RN and a mother of three, and this is hands down my favorite.

Your Child's Health covers illnesses and emergencies, as does his other book, Pediatric Telephone Advice, but is written in easier to understand language and also covers topics such as behavior problems and healthy development. It has so many wonderful tips that I utilized it while working as a public health nurse for questions about new baby care and problems, physical symptoms, and behavior concerns. The great thing about this book is that it has information about what you can try at home, and alerts you about when to call the doctor and when to go to the emergency room. Although other child care books try to do this, usually they are "lite" versions, and you wonder what sort of person wrote them (are they worried about getting sued if they provide too much information?).

This author speaks from a TON of experience. Just read the information about "Newborns and Mountain Travel" or "Eating Problems: Other Strategies." Then check out what to do when you have a child with "Itching, Unknown Cause (Localized)" or "Foreign Body in the Nose." Where else are you going to find information about sea urchin stings, how to remove a tick, homework problems, and sleep problems? Almost everyone will utilize the information about vomiting and diarrhea. There are simple, objective ways of determining whether you should keep your child at home, call the doctor immediately, or call within 24 hours.

For example, under Diarrhea, you should contact a doctor immediately if 1) your child is less than 1 month old and definitely has diarrhea (Caution: Normal stools of breast-fed infants can look like diarrhea--see page 603), 2) Your child has not urinated in more than 8 hours, 3) Crying produces no tears, 4) The inside of the mouth is dry rather than moist, etc. There are six more descriptions of symptoms that, if your child were to exhibit them, you would want to contact your physician immediately. This is followed by six more where you would want to contact your physician within 24 hours. There are three additional ones where you would want to call the physician during office hours. This is followed by four pages outlining treatments you can try at home for breast-fed, bottle-fed, and older children, and includes a "Common Mistakes in Treating Diarrhea" section. I give you this example to show you that the most common symptoms and illnesses are presented thoroughly, and they are empowering! With this kind of information, you can make good decisions about what to do. And that makes parenting SO MUCH EASIER!!!

If I could only have one medical book for my entire family, this would be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST-HAVE FOR EVERY PARENT, April 7, 2007
Amazon Customer (FAIRFAX, VA United States) - See all my reviews
** This is the single best medical reference book for parents. ** It is clear, concise and in an easy-to-use format. Medical conditions can be looked up by chapter in the Table of Contents at the front of the book OR alphabetically in the index at the back of the book by symptom (like rash) or location (like eye). Each condition has a breakdown of symptoms, what to expect as the condition runs its course, any home treatments, when to seek immediate medical attention, when to call your pediatrician within 24 hours, critical symptoms to watch for, etc.

I purchased the earlier edition when my 6-year-old was a baby and now that I have a 3-year-old, I'm thrilled they released a newly updated edition. When I was a new parent it really helped to have some frame of reference for when to worry and when not to worry, and I still use it today! Every parent should get a copy!!

I've tried other reference books like this over the years, but Dr. Schmitt's book is the best!! It is the easiest to use, has the clearest format and is written in plain terms so that you don't have to be a doctor to follow it. Every expectant parent's bookshelf should have a copy of "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and right next to it, a copy of Dr. Schmitt's "Your Child's Health", ABSOLUTE MUST-HAVE'S FOR EVERY PARENT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Parent Should Have This Book, December 29, 2007
I am a RN and have used Dr Schmitt's book for years. I am glad to see a newer edition come out because my other book was all torn up! I currently work phone triage, but have also worked in a Pediatric office and Labor and Delivery. I tell so many new parents to buy this book! I buy it for shower and baby gifts as well. I can't imagine how many unneccessary trips to the ER this book has saved for parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars If an "Instruction Manual" exists for kids, this is IT!, June 11, 2007
This book is an ESSENTIAL reference guide for all parents, grandparents and caregivers. A friend of mine who is a pediatrician recommended this book when I asked her what her favorite child care book was. It gives the straight nuts and bolts of every issue that could arise with your child, from colic to fevers to jellyfish stings(!)

The book has come through for me so many times when I have had questions - is this serious, should I call the doctor now or in the morning? What is that RASH? Why is my infant making that wierd noise? As someone else said in another review, it's tuly like having a pediatrician on speed-dial.

My only sticking point with recommending it is the advice on child rearing, which I believe should allow for more grey areas than the black and white answers Dr. Schmitt provides. I agreed with many of his points. His "How to Spoil a Child" bulleted list is hilarious, and spot on. Likewise his advice on how to curtail tantrums.

But there were a few things that we definitely did not see eye to eye on (ex: vegetables are NOT "overrated" in my opinion, and darnit my kid's gonna eat 'em!) Those of you who are fans of co-sleeping may not like his sleep advice. Another reviewer called these "cultural differences," and I agree the book does not really take them into account. Take this advice with a grain of salt and go with your gut.

But if your kid just vomited and then went back outside to play like he was fine, leaving you a little puzzled and panicked about what to do, this book is for you. And get a copy for the grandparents' house, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars I still use this after 10 years, November 24, 2007
I bought this book about 10 years ago (previous version) and I still refer to it today. I give it at all baby showers because it is so good. It has the right combination of home remedies and when to consult the pros.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will help put your mind at ease when your child is sick or hurt, December 20, 2008
I've used both the first and second editions of this book for the past 7 years since my first child was born. The format makes it easy to find the information you're looking for quickly (a plus when your child wakes up sick in the middle of the night or on the weekend when the doctor's office is closed). For example - my child has a fever, what should I do? When should I call the doctor? When should you take your child into the office? Using the decision tree at the end of each subject section - I almost never need to call the doctor with what would turn out to be a routine question and avoid unnecessary visits to the pediatrician's office. In fact, at my daughter's last check up, the nurse commented they never see us! It's not that my kids get sick any less than other kids, it's just this book enables you to handle the routine health issues of childhood more effectively. And if heaven forbid we ever have an emergency, a section of the book is dedicated to that subject too. The child raising advice I use less often. But for health care, I recommend it for every new mom.

5.0 out of 5 stars RECOMMEND TO EVERYONE!, March 31, 2014
JTK (Colorado) - See all my reviews
This was recommended to me by a family member who is a family doctor - OBGYN in a small town.

I found that this book is very helpful in the middle of the night when your child has "X" symptom and you don't know if you should call the pediatrician, go to the ER or wait it out. It explains different symptoms concerning a single problem (for example Vomiting) and gives you a list of things that are "normal" and you can watch child overnight and things that are serious and you should call or see a Dr. immediately.

This is such a great resource to have on hand - I have it on my iPhone and have used it many times in the middle of the night when deciding a course of treatment (water, Tylenol, ibuprofen, pedialite, crackers, bath, sleep, etc.) and whether my child's symptoms are "normal" for the condition he has (i.e., a cold, stomach flu, misc. virus, etc.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Child Care Book Ever!, March 23, 2006
I have read a lot of child care books and this one is the BEST! Don't hesitate to get it. I give it to every new mom I know.